Become a Patron!

Lesson learned!

mrsfogy

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I'm DIYing (total newb, only made about 4 batches of "stuff"). I heard somewhere along the line that if I wanted to get to know what a flavor tastes like that it won't hurt to just taste a small amount on the tip of my tongue. Uhm, ugh, ewww, and OMG I have to get this taste out of my mouth. hahahaha I don't think I've ran that fast to the bathroom in a VERY long time.

Lesson learned...do NOT taste test Shirley Temple on the tip of my tongue!! Ha! ::shivers::

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So I'm DIYing (total newb, only made about 4 batches of "stuff"). I heard somewhere along the line that if I wanted to get to know what a flavor tastes like that it won't hurt to just taste a small amount on the tip of my tongue. Uhm, ugh, ewww, and OMG I have to get this taste out of my mouth. hahahaha I don't think I've ran that fast to the bathroom in a VERY long time.

Lesson learned...do NOT taste test Shirley Temple on the tip of my tongue!! Ha! ::shivers::
LOL PG bite, huh? I've dipped a toothpick in a flavoring to get an idea of it, but yeah that sometimes backfires. Put a bit in a spoonful of water maybe, or just mix up a 5ml sample size.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I put a drop or two in mug of warm water. It's never horribly unpleasant, at least, and I get an idea of what it's like.

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Whoever gave you that advice doesn't know what they are talking about. To understand a flavor, and what it will taste like in a vape, or what notes it will impart to a vape, it is my experience it is best to mix up a sample bottle of the flavor in question. About 5mL should do it, and generally we're looking in the 1-5% range depending on flavor.

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've had some nasty results from dripping pure flavor extracts, but sometimes, when I'm lazy, or run out of bottles, or just want a basic idea of what a flavor vapes like without having to deal with 5 mls of it, I drip some pure VG + 1 drop of flavor. It's low rent to the max, but it works.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
25r30wi.gif

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With the concentrated flavor isn't that like 100 or more times stronger? But putting on your tongue is always suggested in the forums. Probably by posers who do not actually make their own e-Liquids.

:deadhorse::anyone:

Last edited:

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah id say that would send me running to the bathroom as well. dont call em concentrate for nothing lol.

Scy123

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With the concentrated flavor isn't that like 100 or more times stranger?

Yea the flavor is very concentrated. I use a syringe and wash it out with a glass of water. I drank that water once (don't remember why) and it tasted like juice lol.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The problem with introducing common sense is many are unfamiliar with it and are also incapable of using it.

A tool is only as good as the person using it. :cuss2:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Check the labels.
Only Lorann's says (Food Grade) none of the others do.
The majority of mine are rebottled by the vendor.

Flavorah has listed on their site that their flavors are FDA GRAS food flavorings.
Medicine Flower also has this listed
FlavourArt site says their flavors are for cooking and more. (clicking their flavor lists includes some that we use to mix with)
TFA flavors are sold as FDA GRAS

These are some of the ones that stood out most to me.

I haven't read into INW, but NF and CAP are also used for foods.

SgtRock

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
TFA flavors are almost all designed for food (there have been a few redesigned for vapers)...we just use 'em in vape juice ;)

chinacatsunflower-

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
If you want the actual flavor and not the smell, because I'm sure they can vary. Find a shot glass, drip a drop in the glass, pour water, swish it in your mouth, and then spit. The flavoring is concentrated, to taste it correctly it needs to be diluted. Whether it be water, PG, VG, etc.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
With the concentrated flavor isn't that like 100 or more times stronger? But putting on your tongue is always suggested in the forums. Probably by posers who do not actually make their own e-Liquids.

:deadhorse::anyone:

Too funny, guess I never made any juice either.
I taste all my flavors this way, and yes some will make ya holler, those are usually the really strong ones, or the nasty ones.
Gives me a way better idea of a starting point, instead of trying INW Raspberry at 5%, or even 2%, and dumping it out later.

Whoever gave you that advice doesn't know what they are talking about.

Yup, that's me alright...;)

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tasting an e-Liquid and tasting a Concentrated flavor are two different things and the latter I will do often.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Tasting an e-Liquid and tasting a Concentrated flavor are two different things and the latter I will do often.
I actually do this with both, but with concentrates I'm only trying to perceive the strength, as the flavor part is harder to get the true end taste.
Sometimes I get some clues about the flavors taste though.
And I've also had some finished juice that tasted great but vaped like:poop:.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would think that tasting a flavoring would be like trying to intentionally get a vapers tongue. I accidentally got a little bit of flavoring on my finger removing the syringe tip and it smelled wonderful but was way way too powerful! One reason it suggests 1%.

I have also had a mix that did not smell right but the vape was amazing!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
If you are trying to get an idea of the taste and strength, use the 100 drops method, but I scale it down to 10 drops.

One drop flavor, 4 drops pg, 5 drops vg and you have a perfect test-taste at 10 percent without wasting ingredients or time. You can adjust up or down from there.

VU Sponsors