Become a Patron!

LG HB6 or Samsung 30Q

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Been using the 30Q's with my Pico, i just got a smok alien, would the LG HB6 be a better battery for the Alien, or would sticking with the 30Q's be alright?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have all 30Q batteries in my SMOK Alien MODs. They are a 20A tested battery. If you want higher amp batteries with good balance of life, get some VTC5a batteries. 25A with 2500mAh --- Can't go wrong with either of them IMO.

And no, I wouldn't do the HB6 batteries. They are only 1500mAh.

image-jpeg.600623

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's in a dual battery config, though... triple and quads are a bit different... say 180 in a triple, and 220 in quad with the 20A cells...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
It always depends on the way you intend to use your batteries. @nightshard showed some solid numbers to use a guidelines and gave great recommendations for the best in each category(IMO). Realistically speaking, as long as you use a Mooch recommended cell in the appropriate wattage you should be more than fine.

As per Watts law in a 2 cell mod:
at 120W, each cell is "responsible" for 60W(120 divided by number of cells)
We must know the cutoff voltage of the mod, the Alien has a very low cutoff voltage from what I understand. I think its around 2.9V(dont own one, was told this from someone who uses them frequently, would love verification).
We divide the Wattage per cell by the cutoff voltage(in this case we will assume 2.9V)
60W/2.9V = 20.68A
We should then factor in the efficiency of the mod, most chips run at about 90-95% efficiency so I like to err on the side of caution and say 90%
20.68A/0.9 = 22.98A

(Dont worry about the amp draw being a bit higher on that one, your mod should be asking you to check your battery before you are actually drawing 22A at the cutoff)

Usually the cutoff voltage is around 3V - 3.2V and you can always pull your batteries for recharging before the mod requires it. If you use Watts law to figure out the appropriate Amperage needed then you can simply use Moochs chart to pick a cell with the appropriate CDR.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
most chips run at about 90-95% efficiency so I like to err on the side of caution and say 90%
Very few manufacturers actually publicize their efficiency ratings.

Lets take Evolv for example, their DNA200 chip is 97% efficient, while their DNA75 chip is only 85% efficient, this is because the DNA75 chip implements a boost converter while the DNA200 doesn't and a boost converter is much less efficient then a buck converter.
We take 90% as an average, but I would say that all those Chinese 200/220 mods are less efficient then 90, around 80+% IMO.

I do all my general calculations based on 3.2V cutoff and 90% efficiency.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Very few manufacturers actually publicize their efficiency ratings.

Lets take Evolve for example, their DNA200 chip is 97% efficient, while their DNA75 chip is only 85% efficient, this is because the DNA75 chip implements a boost converter while the DNA200 doesn't and a boost converter is much less efficient then a buck converter.
We take 90% as an average, but I would say that all those Chinese 200/220 mods are less efficient then 90, around 80+% IMO.

I do all my general calculations based on 3.2V cutoff and 90% efficiency.

Absolutely correct! I probably should have mentioned that but was on my way out the door!

I also use the 90% efficiency but my personal cutoff voltage in a regulated mod is usually 3.5V

I still use 3.2V for calculations but I don't personally like bringing my cells down that low.

VU Sponsors