1. CBD USERS: THE MIGHTY VAPORIZER GIVEAWAY!

VU IS MOVING - EXPECT A BUMPY RIDE FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS :)

LG HG2 18650 Clearance at Liion Wholesale

Discussion in 'Battery Junkies / Chargers' started by DrVapenstein, Feb 17, 2020.

1. DrVapenstein

DrVapenstein Bronze Contributor Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    $3.99 ea and it sounds like LG might be cutting off supply of these to keep them from ending up in ecigs. I read some LG press release to that effect. These are the gold standard of 18650 IMO, and they're half price til they're gone. I bought some, it gave me an excuse to order the Molicell 21700s I was looking at :D

2. gsmit1

gsmit1 Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    @[email protected]
    Can we prevail upon you please to tell us what will be the LIION policy going forward in light of what's happening with Samsung, LG and almost certainly the rest of them eventually?

3. Jon@LiionWholesale

[email protected] Silver Contributor Member For 4 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, been off the forums recently due to being busy and didn't see your tag :oops:

They're $3.50 now, FYI. Not much stock left, as you can probably imagine they're flying off the shelves. Flying off the pallets anyway...no time to put them on shelves :).

At this time we are discontinuing internet sales of LG batteries on Liion Wholesale. Once they're gone, they're gone. It's remotely possible we'll find a way to offer them again in the future but as of now I'm expecting they will be discontinued forever.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  4. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
  5. gsmit1

Blog Posts:
    Thank you @[email protected] .
    If I may be so bold as to persist :) Can we plan on this being the eventual policy with Samsung and the other OEMs as well? The long absence of the 20s for instance make it impossible but to wonder. You can give it it to us straight. We can take it. :cool:

2WhiteWolves, Jinx'd and The Cromwell like this.
  6. gsmit1

Blog Posts:
    I should add here @[email protected] that any reasonable person should expect you to do what you feel is best for yourself, your business and your family. I'm sure you're not enjoying this any more than we are.

Jinx'd and The Cromwell like this.
  7. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    This is also an issue to those who make power walls, electric bikes and such using single 18650 cells.
    Not just an impact on vaping as single 18650 cells disappear from availability.

gsmit1 likes this.
  8. gsmit1

Blog Posts:
    I always thought batteries would be our biggest issue, but I did not see this coming. I thought it would be from the bloodsucking leeches in the halls of power. Not from the manufacturers.

Jon's a good guy. Whatever happens is not his fault. I do hope he can give us some insight from his vantage point. Of course he can only speak for himself and LIION.

2WhiteWolves, Jinx'd and The Cromwell like this.
  9. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Ohh I blame the few idiots that carried bare batteries in their pockets and such for this happening at this time.

10. eSMOKA

eSMOKA Silver Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Just bought a few. Couldn't not at those prices.

The Cromwell likes this.
  11. Jon@LiionWholesale

Blog Posts:
    This is a complex situation and we're still just starting to get a handle on exactly what the repercussions will be. At this time there are no plans to change anything with any other OEM. The only thing is that we will warn much more prominently that the other OEMs do not endorse vaping and their batteries are not made for it.

I think the vaping industry will go much more towards using Molicel since their cells are generally the best for it and so far they have allowed us to sell them for vaping purposes.

For the 20S: Our company is obsessed with extremely clean sourcing where we have full traceability and paperwork on the batteries we buy, so we pretty much never buy Samsung batteries from China because of the obvious issues there. There are a lot of really shady deals happening out there to get some of these batteries to market and we don't want to be a part of any of that. The 20S is a niche model that isn't widely available to all Samsung customers and I believe the only way to get it is through purchasing from Chinese companies who won't provide any paperwork or proof of their source. It's possible there's another source out there we haven't found but I doubt it. So basically we have very high requirements for only purchasing from the highest quality sources, and it's impossible to get 20S that way as far as I've seen. I don't think this is a big deal since I believe the Molicel P26A to be equal or better in almost all instances. So that's why we haven't carried the 20S in a long time and probably won't carry it in the future.

Hopefully that provides a little more insight.

12. gsmit1

Blog Posts:
    Thank you again very much Jon.
    I know I speak for all us when I express my great appreciation for your interaction and transparency with this community. It's a rare thing and speaks highly both of yourself and your company.

13. gsmit1

Blog Posts:
    See here's the problem. How many hundreds of millions of vapers are out there in the world now? How many actually harmful incidents have there been worldwide related to the use of round cell lithium ion batteries? Even with fully unregulated, unprotected mechanicals. What is that maybe .001 percent?

As is always the case, the reporting on the infinitesimally small number of exceptions will will serve to make the rules for the rest of us.

I don't even blame the OEMs either. What's in it for them? Bad publicity and legal fees even if they win? They do not need our money. They are doing just fine without us. To them we are an unnecessary and increasingly unwise liability.

14. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    yeah the dancing pants on fire videos are very popular.
    Why we can't have anything nice.

gsmit1 likes this.
  15. Jinx'd

Jinx'd Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    are you saying a P26a is as good/safe in a mech as a 20s ?

16. Jon@LiionWholesale

Blog Posts:
    In general, yes. It can be quite complicated though as if you're above 25A or so the P26A will heat up a bit quicker so then it depends on how often you're using the mech. If you're below 25A or so then P26A are just better.

gsmit1 and Jinx'd like this.
  17. Jinx'd

Blog Posts:
    great, thanx. as i only have 2 20s's, but i have 6 26A's, all got from you. i'm not hard on my mech's at all.

gsmit1 likes this.
  18. CorallineAlgae

CorallineAlgae Silver Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting about the sale. I snagged another 10 HG2 cells. I've been ordering the 30Q cells more than the HG2's over the last couple years, but that sale is too hard to resist. I've been getting 100% of my batteries from liionwholesale for about 5 years. Never hit a bad battery.

19. eSMOKA

Blog Posts:

If Molicel is so "vaper-friendly" then why do they sell their batts in OEM wraps? Why not create more consumer-firendly wraps for the consumer market?

My guess is they are just playing a market but will someday also jump on the bandwagon due to liability reasons. They don't want to wrap their batts for anything other than OEM use. That's not vaper-friendly.

20. Jon@LiionWholesale

Blog Posts:
    Good question. I think most people would disagree though. So far market feedback in the USA is that they would prefer them OEM in OEM wraps and that's the feedback we've given back to them.

Especially since we do sell them not only to vapers, but to many other markets as well.

But even just considering vapers, vapers in the USA seem to have a massive prejudice against "rewraps" and prefer everything to be original wraps.

NPE actually does have a vape specific wrap under the "Klejjs" brand which is sold in some other markets like Japan and Europe. So far it doesn't seem like there is a demand to do the same here, but if I'm wrong I'm absolutely open to input and I can send it back to them.

If you're saying they should have a thicker wrap or something, that is an interesting idea. I'm not sure if it would hurt compatibility with devices though which could be a problem.

Disclaimer: We don't speak for Molicel or NPE but these are my impressions I've gotten from meetings with them.

ajvapes, Jinx'd, dubya314 and 3 others like this.
  21. Jinx'd

Blog Posts:
    what is a consumer friendly wrap ? something with some bling ?

gsmit1 likes this.
  22. eSMOKA

Blog Posts:
    I have never had to rewrap a rewrap batt because the wraps on rewraps are durable. I only buy wraps because I have to rewrap OEMs, never rewraps. Even my wraps are more durable than OEM wraps.

Bling/logos, etc have nothing to do with anything.

23. Jinx'd

Blog Posts:

i don't have any rewraps, so i didn't know they were tougher. i think the oem wraps are fairly durable. and least compared to the custom wraps, that are fairly thin.

eSMOKA likes this.
  24. eSMOKA

Blog Posts:
    I don't know what a custom wrap is. Do you mean those wraps with the different designs and stuff on them?

I just buy wraps in different solid colors from FT. They are definitely more durable than OEM wraps without a question (especially Samsung wraps).

When I buy OEM batts, I test them out for a cycle or 2, then I just rewrap them with more durable wraps, which are cheap AF.

Jinx'd likes this.
  25. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Samsung wraps are pretty sucky. My 30Q's have all puckered up at the top end and I do not abuse my wraps at all. LG wraps are still great.

26. Just Frank

Just Frank Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the sale. I ordered a dozen. I usually get Sammy 30Qs but $3.50 per (LG's) sounds good to me. Really appreciate the sale. You guys always have other attractions as well :D.

gsmit1 likes this.
  27. gsmit1

Blog Posts:
    It may not be vaper-friendly per se, but it's probably smart.

I bet they have sharp legal people telling them that's there's a line between permission and promotion that they don't want to cross for their own forward looking good.

Jinx'd and The Cromwell like this.
  28. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    If they wrapped them in some wrapper indicating vape usage they become tobacco products in the USA and subject to the Deeming regulations.

gsmit1 likes this.
  29. ajvapes

ajvapes Silver Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Just dropped a P26 in the Vamp V2 and it runs much cooler than the VTC5A.
    And [email protected] , thanks for the great service....BTW what happened to the P28a?

30. Jinx'd

Blog Posts:

20200222_163027.jpg 20191209_123112.jpg 20191031_212459.jpg 20191102_112421.jpg

gsmit1 likes this.
  31. eSMOKA

Blog Posts:
    Why would the wrap or the brand name need to indicate any specific usage? There's only one rewrap brand that I'm aware of that indicates vape usage and that's just for marketing to a specific niche. But flashlight users use them, too. They're just batteries.

The rest of the rewrap brands are just sold as what they are...batteries. Use them how you wish.

I don't know of any battery brand (alkaline, liion or otherwise) that sells their batteries for a specific usage - they just sell batteries.

32. Jinx'd

Blog Posts:
    reheat them with a heat gun.

eSMOKA and The Cromwell like this.
  33. Jon@LiionWholesale

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! Yeah they're great cells.

The P28A was a special run of a battery in the sample stages. It's currently unavailable and probably won't be available again. The good news though is one reason they're not making it is they're working on a P30A 3000mAh so that will be amazing. Unfortunately probably will be the end of the year before it's available (and even that is just a guess).

gopher_byrd, gsmit1, ajvapes and 3 others like this.
  34. nadalama

nadalama Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Last night while I was watching a COVID update on CNN (online, live TV), they played an LG commercial about "thermal runaway" related to 18650 batteries.

The caution was for consumers not to handle individual batteries. There was an animation about what happens when a battery (unprotected in a pocket or some such) comes in contact with other metal and goes berserk.

I cannot recall the exact terminology right now, but over and over the narrator of the commercial says something to the effect of "do not handle individual cells."

The commercial is a campaign against the marketing and sales of individual 18650 batteries to vapers and people who use them in flashlights, fans, and whatever else.

Just fyi. More crusading. Just what we need. Be sure you have good batteries.

Don't be surprised if you see this post in another thread. I plan to post it in a couple of places.

The Cromwell likes this.
  35. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Yep I have seen that commercial several times..
    it is truthful but unfortunate for vaping and responsible individual cell users.

Teach you to watch fake news.
    Bwahahaha.

gsmit1 and nadalama like this.