Become a Patron!

LG HG2 batteries at 0.15 ohm's?

I just ordered a 5 pack of 0.15ohm t8 coils heads for my tfv8 baby beast. When I was browsing through reddit I seen a post that said my HG2 batteries are not safe under 0.3ohms. I am currently using the AL85 kit and was wondering if it is safe or might vent.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I just ordered a 5 pack of 0.15ohm t8 coils heads for my tfv8 baby beast. When I was browsing through reddit I seen a post that said my HG2 batteries are not safe under 0.3ohms. I am currently using the AL85 kit and was wondering if it is safe or might vent.

There are two entirely different "Families" of mods. "Mechanical/Unregulated", which the name implies, they are dumb, mechanical switches, no electronics. Then there are "Regulated" mods, which have some form of PCB, and electronic control, basically if your mod has a display screen this is the category of mod you have, which the AL85 is a regulated device. So both schools have entirely different ways of determining if amp drain is safe or not.

Mechanical/Unregulated use straight up "Ohm's Law" (Fully Charge Battery Voltage/Resistance (aka Ohms)=Max Amps).
Regulated Mods use another formula of "Ohm's Law" but it involves "Watts", Ohms only come into play with if the mod is programmed to fire a coil in a certain range, most times that is 0.1ohms to 3.0ohms, after that, the control board uses that ohm reading to adjust the voltage to reach, set watts, afterwards, Ohms play no difference with a regulated mod most of the time. (Regulated mods use - Wattage Set/Lowest Battery Charge Voltage/90% Control Board Efficiency=Max Amps)
So both are completely at opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to voltage, Mech highest voltage, Regulated lowest voltage.

Mech/Unregulated Single Battery Mod Example
4.2v/0.3ohms=14amps (20amp Battery you are safe)
4.2v/0.15ohms=28amps (20amp Battery you are over the CDR)

Regulated mod Examples

85watts/3.2v/0.9=29.514amps (30amp Battery Territory only)
75watts/3.2v/0.9=26.0417amps (25 to 30amp Battery Territory)
65/3.2/0.9=22.5694amps

General rule of thumb for regulated mods, 60watts max per battery 20amp batteries, 75watts max per battery 25amp batteries, 90watts per battery 30amp batteries, most multi-battery mods you take that figure and multiply by number batteries.

hth explain things a bit.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There are two entirely different "Families" of mods. "Mechanical/Unregulated", which the name implies, they are dumb, mechanical switches, no electronics. Then there are "Regulated" mods, which have some form of PCB, and electronic control, basically if your mod has a display screen this is the category of mod you have, which the AL85 is a regulated device. So both schools have entirely different ways of determining if amp drain is safe or not.

Mechanical/Unregulated use straight up "Ohm's Law" (Fully Charge Battery Voltage/Resistance (aka Ohms)=Max Amps).
Regulated Mods use another formula of "Ohm's Law" but it involves "Watts", Ohms only come into play with if the mod is programmed to fire a coil in a certain range, most times that is 0.1ohms to 3.0ohms, after that, the control board uses that ohm reading to adjust the voltage to reach, set watts, afterwards, Ohms play no difference with a regulated mod most of the time. (Regulated mods use - Wattage Set/Lowest Battery Charge Voltage/90% Control Board Efficiency=Max Amps)
So both are completely at opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to voltage, Mech highest voltage, Regulated lowest voltage.

Regulated mod Examples

65/3.2/0.9=22.5694amps

General rule of thumb for regulated mods, 60watts max per battery 20amp batteries, 75watts max per battery 25amp batteries, 90watts per battery 30amp batteries, most multi-battery mods you take that figure and multiply by number batteries.

Great reply as always.....!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@IMFire3605 gave a fantastic explanation, and covered everything and more than I would have.

You are using a regulated mod, so you can build or run a coil at whatever resistance your mod supports safely- the resistance doesn't effect the amp load on your battery.

Using the calculations already provided will show you what is OK. All that matters is the watts you are running, not the resistance :)

nikolous

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Regulated mod Examples

65/3.2/0.9=22.5694amps

This is an awesome explanation. Cheers!

VU Sponsors