Become a Patron!

Limitless RDTA + Build Question

I have a kangertech topbox mini with a limitless rdta plus. I was told that because my mod only possesses one battery, I would need to use thinner wire in order to maximize my battery. My preferred ohms range is anywhere between 0.3-0.5, preferably as close to 0.3 as I can get. On the original rda which came with the kangertech (before I installed the rdta plus), I was able to produce a single coil build at 0.3 ohms, so I assumed that on a theoretically better rdta, I should be able to obtain the same results. This has not been the case. While I am relatively new to coil building, I do not necessarily believe that I am bad at building coils, so to speak. Using a coil jig, tweezers, and what I believe to be correct coiling and wicking methods, I have not been able to produce a build which puts out anything below 0.74 ohms on 28 ga wire. A friend of mine built a coil for me on 24 ga a while back which clocked in at 0.51 ohms. I have tried everything between 4-8 wraps, and have not been able to reach a desirable ohms reading. I can currently run it on 0.74 @ 35 watts, which is alright, but honestly I used to run that wattage on an ecig and I bought this mod to produce more vapor than a cheap pen. I was wondering if I either need to change my wire, my coil-building techniques, or if there is some other underlying issue.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Using 28 gauge with dual coils you are looking at 3 wrap on each with a 2 mm inner diameter to get 0.3 ohms. I would suggest getting some larger wire to hit your target like 24 gauge. Check out steam-engine for coil math. http://www.steam-engine.org/

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
28g Kanthal is too thin for 0.3

To get a 28g coil with decent amount of wraps that reaches 0.3 you would need to build a dual twisted/parallel coils, to switch to a thicker wire or to use SS instead.

The info you got is not entirely accurate, but I get where it's coming from.

Since you're limited to lower wattage with a single battery, using really massive coils would be a problem since higher mass coils require higher wattage, still it doesn't mean to have to use tiny coils made of thin wire.

The limitless RDTA has a big chamber that would preform better with bigger coils, so I suggest you find a compromise in between.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use a minimum of 26g k for .3 ohms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a kangertech topbox mini with a limitless rdta plus. I was told that because my mod only possesses one battery, I would need to use thinner wire in order to maximize my battery. My preferred ohms range is anywhere between 0.3-0.5, preferably as close to 0.3 as I can get. On the original rda which came with the kangertech (before I installed the rdta plus), I was able to produce a single coil build at 0.3 ohms, so I assumed that on a theoretically better rdta, I should be able to obtain the same results. This has not been the case. While I am relatively new to coil building, I do not necessarily believe that I am bad at building coils, so to speak. Using a coil jig, tweezers, and what I believe to be correct coiling and wicking methods, I have not been able to produce a build which puts out anything below 0.74 ohms on 28 ga wire. A friend of mine built a coil for me on 24 ga a while back which clocked in at 0.51 ohms. I have tried everything between 4-8 wraps, and have not been able to reach a desirable ohms reading. I can currently run it on 0.74 @ 35 watts, which is alright, but honestly I used to run that wattage on an ecig and I bought this mod to produce more vapor than a cheap pen. I was wondering if I either need to change my wire, my coil-building techniques, or if there is some other underlying issue.
My standard build for most of my RDAs & RDTAs is a dual coil build at 0.3 Ohm. With Kanthal 24 g wire, I used http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.3&awg=24&id=3

VU Sponsors