Become a Patron!

Limitless RDTA Plus wick/wire lifespan

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been vaping for over three years now, but I'm just getting into rebuildables. I did some research and asking around and landed on either the Avocado 24 or the Limitless Plus. After talking to a guy at a local B&M that has always pointed me in the right direction and been totally honest, even going so far as to tell me when his own merchandise is "crap," I went with the Limitless. I'm getting the hang of wicking it after putting WAY too much cotton in the first few times. I've gone with some pre-built coils to start off with and I've got some claptons, flat twisteds, and stapled claptons.

What I'm wondering is, how long should I expect the wicking material and the coils to last before I replace them? I'm pretty picky about coils when the flavor starts to get muted, and I use 3mg "coil-killer" juices for the most part. I'm just wondering what is a realistic lifespan to expect for organic cotton and for coils. I'm pretty sure all my coils are kanthal at this point. I like SS so I'll probably get some of those in the future, but for now I'd just like some advice on Japanese organic cotton and kanthal. Any help is appreciated.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
For Kanthal, I find that with a 24 AWG wire, dry burning after every 2 to 3 tanks my coils will last about 90 days.

And I replace the wick every time I dry burn the coils.

I mean the per wick price at far less than 1 Cent ain't gonna break the bank and you have to remove the old wick before dry burning.

I picked up a bag of "Puff" Japanese Organic Cotton Pads over a year ago for $5 including $&H and I have not even made a noticeable dent in it.

Hell, unless something happens to it, I will never need to purchase another bag of the stuff again

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I just swapped out some coils last weekend that were going on three months. I generally rewick weekly, cleaning the coils at that time. Pretty much all SS builds for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Echoing the previous posters, I personally rewick my RTAs/RDTAs every other day. Not relevant, but my RDAs everyday.

Coils in any device can last months. Just make sure to dry burn and if the coils are pretty caked, dry burn, while the coils are glowing, turn off the device, and dip JUST THE COILS in a cup with lukewarm water. Repeat as necessary and you'll enjoy those coils for months to come.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With your limitless rdta it's also easy to visually inspect your wick. If it's black or burnt, Definitely replace it. Pop the top cap off every day and see how the wick changes. You'll develop a pattern based upon your vape style.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
while the coils are glowing, turn off the device, and dip JUST THE COILS in a cup with lukewarm water.

No need to turn the device off, just don't let it get wet.
Placing the heated coil under running tap water is more effective since it pulls off the separated gunk.

I use an old mod I don't care much about (Cuboid) for dry burns.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No need to turn the device off, just don't let it get wet.
Placing the heated coil under running tap water is more effective since it pulls off the separated gunk.

I use an old mod I don't care much about (Cuboid) for dry burns.
This is what I do with my rda's. But with rdta's like the limitless I use the dunk method so water doesn't get in the tank.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The coil itself. .. regardless of build or atty can last years.... although most only keep a build a short time. Wicking on the other hand varies widely by type. Cotton or rayon....I am happy if I get through the day..... SS mesh or Silica or ceramic can last the life of the coil. If not longer.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors