Become a Patron!

Limitless XL C4 coil keeps burning.

challman0308

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought the limitless XL tank let's say sometime is October. I was always jumping between the 1 and 2 coil build decks and the prebuilt C4 coil. Recently I haven't been wanting to build so I bought some new C4 coils and I've always vaped the c4s between 90 to 120 watts. The last two C4 coils I've went through they have got that burnt taste within the first day or 2. One I remember got the burnt taste at 90 or 95 watts and the other at 105. I always prime them very well and before I start vaping I let them sit in my tank full for a couple minutes. I also start out low around 70 watts and slowly jump up 5 watts at a time until I get to where I want to vape at. They are meant for 215 watts. Ijoys customer service is garbage so I'm not even going to waste my time trying to get in touch with them over $8 coils but just wanted others feedback if anyone had the same issue. One last thing is that I have been through many C4 coils and have primed them and used them exactly the same way. It's just the last few have not lasted long at all and I have been using the same 3 juices for the longest time now. Thanks fellow vapors!!

challman0308

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought the limitless XL tank let's say sometime is October. I was always jumping between the 1 and 2 coil build decks and the prebuilt C4 coil. Recently I haven't been wanting to build so I bought some new C4 coils and I've always vaped the c4s between 90 to 120 watts. The last two C4 coils I've went through they have got that burnt taste within the first day or 2. One I remember got the burnt taste at 90 or 95 watts and the other at 105. I always prime them very well and before I start vaping I let them sit in my tank full for a couple minutes. I also start out low around 70 watts and slowly jump up 5 watts at a time until I get to where I want to vape at. They are meant for 215 watts. Ijoys customer service is garbage so I'm not even going to waste my time trying to get in touch with them over $8 coils but just wanted others feedback if anyone had the same issue. One last thing is that I have been through many C4 coils and have primed them and used them exactly the same way. It's just the last few have not lasted long at all and I have been using the same 3 juices for the longest time now. Thanks fellow vapors!!

Bump!!! Please help me out for input

challman0308

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got pics of your build?
I can fix the burning taste with my builds but I haven't been building and have been using the factory prebuilt C4 coil and the last couple I've had problems with burning. First 2 or 3 out of 12 coils I bought. 1483415916159-907719772.jpg 1483415916159-907719772.jpg 1483415961317-1570182385.jpg 1483415961317-1570182385.jpg 1483415961317-1570182385.jpg 1483415916159-907719772.jpg 1483415916159-907719772.jpg 1483415916159-907719772.jpg 1483415961317-1570182385.jpg

challman0308

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry for all the images lol that was just one coil, I have no idea why it posted the same pics so many times. Still getting used to this forum. Sorry bud

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Sorry for all the images lol that was just one coil, I have no idea why it posted the same pics so many times. Still getting used to this forum. Sorry bud
No prob. Did you put the coils in, or did they come pre-installed that way?
Guessing they came from the factory and weren't recoiled.
So.. have you been priming them. Each juice slot on the edges and a drop inside each coil.?

Oh, and the best way to get customer service for ijoy is via facebook.

Last edited:

challman0308

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No prob. Did you put the coils in, or did they come pre-installed that way?
Guessing they came from the factory and weren't recoiled.
So.. have you been priming them. Each juice slot on the edges and a drop inside each coil.?

Oh, and the best way to get customer service for ijoy is via facebook.

"I always prime them very well and before I start vaping I let them sit in my tank full for a couple minutes. I also start out low around 70 watts and slowly jump up 5 watts at a time until I get to where I want to vape at." That quote was from my first post. And these last two werent preinstalled on the tank, i bought them from the same place as the last 12 and they just went bad in days instead of 2 to 4 weeks. And just to let you know i just re-read what i said and trust me im not trying to come off as a prick or anything it just sounds like it because we are behind a computer screen. I'm honestly greatful for your time to help. But I prime everything awesomely and even leave in the tank for minutes before my first vape. ive been doing the same thing with these coils for a while and i must have just got a bad batch I guess, just like everything else ijoy does. And trust me ive tried emails, facebook and over the sea phone calls to ijoy, and got one email back and replied and nothing further. By the way the email they sent me came about 5 weeks after i emailed them.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
OH don't worry about coming off as a prick. I know about computer screens, and lack of voice tone and body language. I figure if you post "You @#$A $%$^ )*&_ SUCH N SUCH" THEN i can go cry to the wife. LOL
What level of PG/VG are you using. Last thing I can think of. Those coils should be working. Even at 100 vg. Those are some pretty big assed wicking holes.

Mention 3.15 on CCTV, they hate that! Think of it like "Shame TV".

challman0308

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OH don't worry about coming off as a prick. I know about computer screens, and lack of voice tone and body language. I figure if you post "You @#$A $%$^ )*&_ SUCH N SUCH" THEN i can go cry to the wife. LOL
What level of PG/VG are you using. Last thing I can think of. Those coils should be working. Even at 100 vg. Those are some pretty big assed wicking holes.

Mention 3.15 on CCTV, they hate that! Think of it like "Shame TV".

70vg/30pg but this is my main go to juice so absolutely nothing has changed. Also ive tried max vg in others with no problem. Must just be a bad batch

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
70vg/30pg but this is my main go to juice so absolutely nothing has changed. Also ive tried max vg in others with no problem. Must just be a bad batch
Should be no problem with that.
Got me. Can't think of anything else that might cause those coils to burn.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Highlighted, underlined, and colored in bold. From your description you are "Priming" just about the way you should, however the C4 coil head is rated at 50 to 215 watts, being the minimum rating, aka minimum power needed is, 50 watts, start there when you go to start breaking the coil wicking in, much like a brand new car, you don't go 65mph or faster down the highway on a new car, you have to go max 50mph the first 1500 to 3000 miles so the piston rings and other components break in a seat properly, wicking is quite similar. Start at 50 and gradually go up 5 watts every 15 to 20 minutes, once at about 70 then you can bump it in 10 watt increments or stay at the 5 per step up. Alternative priming technique, take a piece of wire, hook it into the bottom pin of the coil head, have a jar or bottle of the juice you will be using and hang the coil head in the jar and juice for up to about 30 minutes before install, or in your case wrap it around the bottom threads with a hook at the other end, this allows the wicking to fully soak up all it can without flooding it as you can raise it up to hang and drain any flooding out back into the jar/container.

Other factors that might be going on, these are common across all coils, even rebuilt, hand made coils, coil killing or gunking factors

1) VG content, VG gets a double wammy, wicks slower so can lead to drying wicking quickly, also it can be used as a sweetener, depending what it was extracted from, Palm Seed VG especially falls prey here, that sweetening aspect crystalizes and doesn't burn off easily, which leads to #2
2) Sweeteners and very sweet liquids, these sweeteners crystalize badly, clogging wicking, and carbonizing on the wire and in the wicking touching the wire, you've probably seen it doing rebuilds yourself, that black gunk on the wire and black gunk bleeding out as brown in wicking, this is where 70% of it comes from
3) Dark and colored liquids, darker the liquid or more colorful the liquid, these colorings do "Not" vaporize, they collect and crystalize, see #2 above, clearer your liquid, less gunking
4) Creamy, deserty, savory, bakery, custardy, a lot of coffees, all tobacco flavors, a "Lot" of liquids in this category get a compounded whammy from #2 and #3 here, especially your tobaccos, coffees, custards, yogurts, cookies, cakes, anything buttery, creamy, vanilla or chocolate tones, tobaccos like WTA (whole tobacco alkaloids) and NET (naturally extracted tobacco alkaloids), you got impurities they will not vaporize off cleanly, creamy and custardy or yogurty, the list is long here.
5) Heat, more wattage and not enough evaporation (this one ties with #6 below), hotter that coil gets, more it breaks down the wicking even scorches it
6) Airflow, not enough air flow to match your heat in #5 to evaporate away heat in the vapor produced, coils get to hot and wicking gets burnt or breaks down faster than it should.

More categories you are in here the more things break down, already I see you have a triple whammy, heat in #5 and VG in #1 (double whammy for this one), and sounds like you are also hitting #6 so at least 15% of the compounding factors combined, if you have a liquid that is in #2, that is 85% coil killer territory right there.

challman0308

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Highlighted, underlined, and colored in bold. From your description you are "Priming" just about the way you should, however the C4 coil head is rated at 50 to 215 watts, being the minimum rating, aka minimum power needed is, 50 watts, start there when you go to start breaking the coil wicking in, much like a brand new car, you don't go 65mph or faster down the highway on a new car, you have to go max 50mph the first 1500 to 3000 miles so the piston rings and other components break in a seat properly, wicking is quite similar. Start at 50 and gradually go up 5 watts every 15 to 20 minutes, once at about 70 then you can bump it in 10 watt increments or stay at the 5 per step up. Alternative priming technique, take a piece of wire, hook it into the bottom pin of the coil head, have a jar or bottle of the juice you will be using and hang the coil head in the jar and juice for up to about 30 minutes before install, or in your case wrap it around the bottom threads with a hook at the other end, this allows the wicking to fully soak up all it can without flooding it as you can raise it up to hang and drain any flooding out back into the jar/container.

Other factors that might be going on, these are common across all coils, even rebuilt, hand made coils, coil killing or gunking factors

1) VG content, VG gets a double wammy, wicks slower so can lead to drying wicking quickly, also it can be used as a sweetener, depending what it was extracted from, Palm Seed VG especially falls prey here, that sweetening aspect crystalizes and doesn't burn off easily, which leads to #2
2) Sweeteners and very sweet liquids, these sweeteners crystalize badly, clogging wicking, and carbonizing on the wire and in the wicking touching the wire, you've probably seen it doing rebuilds yourself, that black gunk on the wire and black gunk bleeding out as brown in wicking, this is where 70% of it comes from
3) Dark and colored liquids, darker the liquid or more colorful the liquid, these colorings do "Not" vaporize, they collect and crystalize, see #2 above, clearer your liquid, less gunking
4) Creamy, deserty, savory, bakery, custardy, a lot of coffees, all tobacco flavors, a "Lot" of liquids in this category get a compounded whammy from #2 and #3 here, especially your tobaccos, coffees, custards, yogurts, cookies, cakes, anything buttery, creamy, vanilla or chocolate tones, tobaccos like WTA (whole tobacco alkaloids) and NET (naturally extracted tobacco alkaloids), you got impurities they will not vaporize off cleanly, creamy and custardy or yogurty, the list is long here.
5) Heat, more wattage and not enough evaporation (this one ties with #6 below), hotter that coil gets, more it breaks down the wicking even scorches it
6) Airflow, not enough air flow to match your heat in #5 to evaporate away heat in the vapor produced, coils get to hot and wicking gets burnt or breaks down faster than it should.

More categories you are in here the more things break down, already I see you have a triple whammy, heat in #5 and VG in #1 (double whammy for this one), and sounds like you are also hitting #6 so at least 15% of the compounding factors combined, if you have a liquid that is in #2, that is 85% coil killer territory right there.

These coils are way to big to big to prime them in a bottle, I used to use that technique before this set up. Also I never started at 50 out of months of buying new coils, I honestly don't even think this coil should we rated that low. The coil is so big and needs so much power that any watts below 60/65 barely even heats the massive coil help. I think I might have just got a bad batch. If you look up at my reply to someone else you can see how big these coils really are.

challman0308

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Also the juice i used on these 2 that burnt up ive used in the past which are 70/30 and I know what you're talking about with number 2 but why didnt it happen in the last how ever many? And for number 5 and 6 it never mattered in the past when chain vaping at 120 watts (remember these last two picked up the burnt taste between 90 and 100 watts) and with this coil no matter how low I vape the airflow is wide open due to the fact that if you slightly close it at even 100 watts its taste is gone.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Well it is very well looking like a dud batch of coils. I wasn't trying to make it sound like it was something you were or were not doing. Premade coils are just what they are, mass manufactured components, QC is going to vary drastically one batch to the next, maybe next batch get a pack of coils from another vendor that uses a different supply chain, thus why I entirely moved away from premade coils, the lack of consistency and ability to troubleshoot them. I was just running down the list of areas I would have checked and advised to do if you had walked into my B&M vapor shop, because a lot of times coil heads between different devices and brands of devices are made by the same assembly lines, example being the Kanger and UWell coil heads, all made at UWell's coil head assembly plant, or at least used to be.

Another factor is the juice, from batch to batch, one batch does not identically equal the next, never know, the batch you have has a different VG base, sweetener, or even flavoring brands due to the juice vendors needing to reformulate their juices due the FDA Deeming regs that went into effect in August, with newer rules taking effect as of Dec 31, and more rules taking effect in stages in the coming months. There are many factors going on, trust me I know the pain you are feeling, especially how expensive certain coil heads are nowadays, it is actually frustrating. Heck it could be as simple as a hot spot in one of the coils ruining everything, due to the assembly lines don't prefire coils before wicking them and putting them together. Thus why I run re-buildables solely on all my devices, if something is going wrong mechanically and physically beyond chemically, at least I can tear it apart and accurately troubleshoot the problem properly and adjust from there.

challman0308

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ur premade coil is bad.. start practicing building ur own coils... you can do it!
Start saving money...

I can build my own I just haven't been wanting to build much lately on the limitless XL and since I've bought it the premades have been awesome. I just use the limitless for work now because I can't constantly be dripping my RDA at work. Also I like dual coil builds and the original dual coil deck for the limitless is garbage

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can build my own I just haven't been wanting to build much lately on the limitless XL and since I've bought it the premades have been awesome. I just use the limitless for work now because I can't constantly be dripping my RDA at work. Also I like dual coil builds and the original dual coil deck for the limitless is garbage

SO YOU KNOW WHATS UP then!

VU Sponsors