Become a Patron!

LiPo battery VV/VW help

Diesel_Danno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've been looking at doing a VV/VW box build, but while doing my due diligence research on the batteries and capabilities, I have found a whole lot of warnings on following proper charging procedure. This kind of sucks, because i was hoping to put a mini usb pass through for charging on the device. The device is intended to become a daily rig, and so high capacity is strongly desired.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...C_Hardcase_Lipo_Pack_ROAR_BRCA_Approved_.html

This is the battery I was contemplating using, but which chip (dna 30, raptor, YiHi) could handle it safely? Could any of them have the proper charging capabilities for this, or am I doomed to buying a specific charger and disassembling my mod at the end of every day?

Diesel_Danno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought this battery would be a champ, because it has the 90c rating, and a massive mAh rating. I figured there just wasnt going to be a way for me to overload it with my vaping habits. I prefer overkill rather than riding tolerance lines. But after reading up on how picky LiPo batteries can be, I didnt know if dna/Yihi Sx make a chip that can properly charge it with a pass through system. I don't know anything about delta chips, except they exist.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd go with a YiHi SX350 board. You can put a charge port on your box that allows a lipo charger to connect via a battery quick connect connector. No charging board for the chip/boards will be able to safely charge that type of lipo battery, so you are stuck with using a lipo charger.

Diesel_Danno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd go with a YiHi SX350 board. You can put a charge port on your box that allows a lipo charger to connect via a battery quick connect connector. No charging board for the chip/boards will be able to safely charge that type of lipo battery, so you are stuck with using a lipo charger.
Thanks for that. I don't mind that as a solution, as long as I don't have to disassemble the mod.

Is that... a 576 amp battery???:eek:
After seeing this comment, I realized that i may have done something wrong. I had misunderstood the 90c rating. I do not need this much battery. every with a variable set up, it would have so much upper range as to be a waste, since I wouldn't go anywhere near it. I am revising my battery selection now. Thanks for the help to the both of you.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
aww, just think. That battery would have made a great mech box mod, or a portable device to jump start your truck.:D

Diesel_Danno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It could run my truck. All on its own lol. I think I'll stick to building 18650/26650 boxes for a bit until I can learn more about the LiPo setup. The 90c, 50c and everywhere in between has just confused me. I saw the voltage of only 3.7, and 6400mAh life rating, and got ahead of myself. Gotta learn me sumtin before I can build with that.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've got a drone kit I am building, that battery might fit the build nicely.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
C ratings are simple. I can't say I understand exactly what C ratings are, but I know how to use them. You multiply the C rating by the mAh then divide by 1000 to get the max continuous output.

Diesel_Danno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
C ratings are simple. I can't say I understand exactly what C ratings are, but I know how to use them. You multiply the C rating by the mAh then divide by 1000 to get the max continuous output.
Ah. Thanks. So it appears getting a burly battery from a hobby shop may be out. Until I can learn how to do the math correctly.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Rayne

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I remember LiPo batteries from my hardcore airsoft days. Whenever I hear about LiPo in vaping discussions, it just doesn't make too much sense to me. These were already dangerous enough for use in airsoft applications, so I'd stray from them in vaping. One of the reasons is because almost every airsoft guy I knew would buy a specialty bag to throw their battery in when charging... so yeah.

The chemistry of LiPo cells are definitely not as stable as lMR (aka Lithium Maganese Round, as the "l" is a lower case "L"). I'd stick with lMR batteries. Not to mention, even if you rigged up a proper lithium charger to a USB cable, and charged it that way, I'm not entirely sure the USB cable and ports are really up to snuff for the job. I also remember the airsoft guys were using special connectors for LiPo batteries, and they weren't even drawing the same amount of current that we do. Paranoia or not, I'd just stick with lMR batteries. The chemistry is much more stable for our applications, and the chargers are more easily available to get in a pinch. You won't have to go to hobby stores just to buy a charger; you can hit up your local vape shop with no problem, if you use lMR cells.

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't the iTaste MVPs have LiPo batteries and they are charged through the use of USB. Maybe I am wrong.

Rayne

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Turns out they do. Personally, I don't like that... but that's me. Lithium ion batteries are used in phones, and we're probably all familiar with how dangerous that can be.

Subjectivity aside- I'd still say lMR batteries are a better choice. Stable chemistry, and more readily available safe chargers, make them my personal choice. To make a LiPo battery safe for charging, in the manner the OP has described (via USB), I would only suggest rigging up a proper charger, and would never trust an off-the shelf charger. A bit ironic I am talking fairly paranoid about safety, since I vape daily below .15 ohms on a mech... but still lol. I'd rather see someone using a purpose built charger for the LiPo battery, when things are being re-purposed like this.

Not to mention, with the wide variety of USB chargers available, and the huge range of unknown quality, I'm already hard pressed finding a charger for my phone that I can actually trust. With lMR batteries, you can easily just buy a quality charger without too much worry over quality, and you won't break the bank. Every time I go shopping for a USB charger, I cringe at most of my choices, and settle for the least likely to make my phone explode.

Also, you'd need to rig up the USB cable to give the charger an ability to shut off the charging when done. While I'm positive there isn't anything special about that, finding a LiPo charger, with a USB port, that will actually cut off charging when the battery reaches full capacity, is going to be tougher to find. I would never trust an internal circuit, especially because a faulty charger can cause the internal relay to short/stop working (this happened on an old iPod of mine, but that's a damned long story).

In short, I don't even trust my old eLeaf's USB charging capabilities. Unless you are a quality freak, the chances of something going wrong, especially with the way this stuff works, is significantly higher than just running lMR's, and using a trusted charger that's purposely built. Occam's Razor; the simplest answer is likely the best answer. Keep it simple, and you don't run as many risks.

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Turns out they do. Personally, I don't like that... but that's me. Lithium ion batteries are used in phones, and we're probably all familiar with how dangerous that can be.

Subjectivity aside- I'd still say lMR batteries are a better choice. Stable chemistry, and more readily available safe chargers, make them my personal choice. To make a LiPo battery safe for charging, in the manner the OP has described (via USB), I would only suggest rigging up a proper charger, and would never trust an off-the shelf charger. A bit ironic I am talking fairly paranoid about safety, since I vape daily below .15 ohms on a mech... but still lol. I'd rather see someone using a purpose built charger for the LiPo battery, when things are being re-purposed like this.

Not to mention, with the wide variety of USB chargers available, and the huge range of unknown quality, I'm already hard pressed finding a charger for my phone that I can actually trust. With lMR batteries, you can easily just buy a quality charger without too much worry over quality, and you won't break the bank. Every time I go shopping for a USB charger, I cringe at most of my choices, and settle for the least likely to make my phone explode.

Also, you'd need to rig up the USB cable to give the charger an ability to shut off the charging when done. While I'm positive there isn't anything special about that, finding a LiPo charger, with a USB port, that will actually cut off charging when the battery reaches full capacity, is going to be tougher to find. I would never trust an internal circuit, especially because a faulty charger can cause the internal relay to short/stop working (this happened on an old iPod of mine, but that's a damned long story).

In short, I don't even trust my old eLeaf's USB charging capabilities. Unless you are a quality freak, the chances of something going wrong, especially with the way this stuff works, is significantly higher than just running lMR's, and using a trusted charger that's purposely built. Occam's Razor; the simplest answer is likely the best answer. Keep it simple, and you don't run as many risks.
Safety does trump all, that is for sure. Don't want things blowing up in my face. Ugly enough already, don't need any help. Lol

Rayne

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd rather go through the minor inconvenience of swapping out batteries, rather than build something that has so many parts that could potentially fail, and risk some serious damage to god knows what.

OP, whatever you do, just play it safe. LiPo is a nice option for some things, but for vaping, it really isn't practical.

Diesel_Danno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd rather go through the minor inconvenience of swapping out batteries, rather than build something that has so many parts that could potentially fail, and risk some serious damage to god knows what.

OP, whatever you do, just play it safe. LiPo is a nice option for some things, but for vaping, it really isn't practical.

That's pretty much the conclusion I have come to. I just don't know enough to get involved with the LiPo batteries. Yet. However, there is still plenty of time to learn. I might be able to find a safe solution for it, but for now I'll stick with what I know. Thanks to everyone for all of their help and knowledge

Rayne

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just remember- you have a higher probability of your phone catching fire, due to charger reasons, than having your mod catch fire due to swapping out batteries lol.

Rayne

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I knew of an easy way to make LiPo charging safe, reliable, and convenient, believe me I'd mention it. It's just... not that easy haha.

Honestly, with the amount of work, and amount of fail safes you'd be using, you might as well be designing it for a major company. At least you would have the funding to try everything out first, before potentially having a major issue at home. If there is a good way for LiPo use in boxes, I'd say it's either in R&D phases with a couple companies, or it's just not practical. Most of the LiPo boxes you come across probably have half the actual space inside them dedicated to battery, and the rest is likely circuitry. Just saying. The size, of what you're trying to build, would be significantly larger than your standard 18650 box; at least as a prototype. Unless you're willing to sacrifice a fair amount of money, and size constraints, to make it work, I'd say it's a bit of a stretch.

VU Sponsors