Become a Patron!

LiPo's what and where?

JamesEh408

Member For 4 Years
I'm about to build my first box mod or two. Dna 30 versions. I want to run 1 or 2 LiPo's in there for batteries.

What am I looking for in the batteries and where should I look for them?

TIA

James

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Curious as to why you would want to use LiPo batteries in a mod...especially your first build.

Frankly, if you're asking for basic info about LiPo, then you're not ready to use them in my opinion. LiPos are great for vaping applications, but they are highly volatile and not for the novice. I've been around LiPo for a long time (RC car enthusiast) and have seen some crazy fires and explosions from people mishandling these batteries.

Your best bet would be to stick with LiOn batteries, as they are much more forgiving.

I used to fly electric model airplanes. Here are a few things to consider:

First, I've seen numerous comments about misuse, dropping, etc. I never had a battery go into runaway from dropping them. The one thing mechanically you do have to watch for is punctures. I know of at least one case of a crashed model airplane catching fire. It's unknown if it was from a puncture, shock, deformation, etc.

Second, over-charging can definately cause smoke and fire. A lot of fire. Think road flare type flames. I've seen it first hand. People have burned houses down by over-charging LiPos. Some say newer batteries are a bit safer. I'm not convinced.

LiPos are rated by storage capacity and discharge rate (the C value). To get max discharge in amps, you multiply the C value by the storage capacity (in amps). Some also give the charge capacity (also a C value). I always charged my batteries at one C. The "S" on LiPos means number of 4.2 volt cells in series. Smart chargers are a must.

I always kept my LiPos in an ammo can. I always charged them on a non-flammable surface with at least 2 feet of clearance. The one battery I saw go up in flames shot a flame about a foot long out both ends. There was nothing left but ashes, a scrap of wire, and the connector.

The accepted method of rendering a suspected batter safe is to puncture it and immerse it in salt watter.

Low voltage is a battery killer. Go below the recommended minimum and the battery is pretty much done. Sometimes you can cycle them and bring them back. Cycling means charging and discharging a number of times.

Make no mistake, these thing can be dangerous if misused. But used safely, they work great. If you build with them, just be careful and don't short them in the process. If you do, toss the battery (after the salt water dunk).

I used Turnigy and Zippy batteries from HobbyKing - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__86__85__Batteries_Accessories-Li_Poly_All_brands_.html

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
The common misconception seems to be that LiPo is "just another battery", so people treat them like an Energizer.

LiPo batteries are soft, and while they will take a fair amount of abuse, it's just another thing to worry about with them. I've seen maybe half a dozen LiPo fires, and while that may seem like a lot, that's over several years of racing RC cars. Of those, only one I can think of was due to a crash where the battery was punctured. The others were related to overcharging. I agree, smart chargers and some extra cautionary measures are an absolute must with LiPo.

Even after using them for this long, I don't think I would want to put one in a box mod for vaping.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LiFe's are safer when considering punctures. Not absolute, but safer still.
I'm about to build my first box mod or two. Dna 30 versions. I want to run 1 or 2 LiPo's in there for batteries.

The dna has a max input of 4.2v (spec sheet will say 3.7 nominal). So you'll be looking at 1S only and only in parallel if using more than one.

I'm guessing james wants to get a high MaH. Lipos are ok so long as you build properly and have some experience (preferably of things going wrong). Get hold of a decent hobby charger too, not a cloned one. Hobbyking sell both. Ensure you get authentic as the soldering on the clones are terrible.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@JamesEh408 as you can see, you don't really get a lot of mah capacity for the size when using small lipos. I'd suggest making your mod capable of removing and replacing the battery on the fly as you would with an 18650 rather than fitting the lipo permanently.

yonR3AL.jpg

VU Sponsors