Become a Patron!

Local shop let me down

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I frequent a local vape shop quite a bit. The guys are cool to hang with and they have some amazing juice lines. However, one day a guy came in with a mod and was looking for one for his girlfriend. It was a kanger kbox120, and both the guy and his gf said they wanted a mod like his with good built in battery. I instantly facepalmed, and the owner popped the back off and revealed two very very worn and dirty 18650s inside. Both of them were shocked that it had batteries that were removable and he obviously was charging it FOR 6 MONTHS right through the mod. While it proved that it is not a huge hazard... It made me cringe. The owner never said a word about recommended an external charger. All he focused on was selling her a new smok mod that she liked.

It frustrated me that he had no care about battery safety. I'm sure he knee if they bought a charger and what not that they wouldn't have enough to spend $80 on a mod that day.

Am I just being anal or would this bug y'all too?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I frequent a local vape shop quite a bit. The guys are cool to hang with and they have some amazing juice lines. However, one day a guy came in with a mod and was looking for one for his girlfriend. It was a kanger kbox120, and both the guy and his gf said they wanted a mod like his with good built in battery. I instantly facepalmed, and the owner popped the back off and revealed two very very worn and dirty 18650s inside. Both of them were shocked that it had batteries that were removable and he obviously was charging it FOR 6 MONTHS right through the mod. While it proved that it is not a huge hazard... It made me cringe. The owner never said a word about recommended an external charger. All he focused on was selling her a new smok mod that she liked.

It frustrated me that he had no care about battery safety. I'm sure he knee if they bought a charger and what not that they wouldn't have enough to spend $80 on a mod that day.

Am I just being anal or would this bug y'all too?

This would piss me off to no end!

Sadly, a lot of shops are just like that and only worship the Almighty Dollar!

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The other shop in town that I go to would have removed the batteries....cleaned it up, rewrapped the batteries (for free) and sold a charger with a discount just to keep him safe. The manager is the real deal.

Too fucking rare.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish more folks would also glare and ridicule with "RTFM", too.

I am sorry, folks - but RTFM is not optional to a newb/virgin.. It's like a numbnuts with a bigass Harley or chainsaw that decides he never had a manual, but remembers using a handsaw or bicycle.

With someone experienced, I'd look them in the eye and chortle - and they damned well better be able to laugh at themselves.

(WIth a gun-owner, I'd never again invite them into my space/home - we already know these mistakes are usually not survivable).

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish more folks would also glare and ridicule with "RTFM", too.

I am sorry, folks - but RTFM is not optional to a newb/virgin.. It's like a numbnuts with a bigass Harley or chainsaw that decides he never had a manual, but remembers using a handsaw or bicycle.

With someone experienced, I'd look them in the eye and chortle - and they damned well better be able to laugh at themselves.

(WIth a gun-owner, I'd never again invite them into my space/home - we already know these mistakes are usually not survivable).
All true

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know who is more contemptable the owner of the shop or the idiot who bought the mod, and took no responsibility for their own or other people's saftey and didn't bothered to educate themselves to the proper usage of the device...you need to take responsiblity for yourself...as vapers that is what we are demanding the goverment allow us to do... take responsibility for our own health..then we need to act like it.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No, this doesn't bother me one bit. Stupid people are people too. :) I suspect the FDA might soon be banning any and all removable battery mods due to these kinds of behaviors. But even that doesn't bother me much, as I think it will be kind of inevitable anyway. That's just because you can't fix stupid, and, life is too damn short to be worried so... I stockpiled.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm with you pazzadave. It would irritate me as well. All kinds of stupid all the way around. The owner should have suggested new batteries, a proper charger for them and for the couple to watch a few YouTube videos on mod/battery safety.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fun pure fun, hang around and kibitz when the customers come in.. I loved the look of irritation on owners, and at least trying to convince newbs there is stuff they can goddamned look up.

No Priests Required.

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
Bug me? Probably not, but it is indicative of the quirky scenes that play out in vape shops.

Imagine you’re just pulling into the parking lot of a vape shop you want to try out and as soon as you park, you look over and see this.....
(ffw to 26:20 for scene)

or the time I went to a local B&M.....

91D2DF62-F9F8-4E34-B46A-7B91F009DCD4.jpeg

Another 20-30 years of vape life permeating further into culture, you’ll get enough material for a network sitcom.....or a Lifetime Network TV movie. derp

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If I pulled up and see haze smashing a device I would immediately burst into laughter. That mod came with a .15? build and is capped at 4.2V. That mod deserved it's fate. Came with a nice battery though. :)

VU Sponsors