Become a Patron!

Long Puffs vs Short Puffs

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hi you guys,

One thing i like about TC is that i can have some real kind of slow long puffs. In actualy i doi it also in power mode :)

But, im most videos i see in the internet people puff for like 2 or 3 seconds...

My medium puff is 5 secs. But i enjoy going between 6 to 8 seconds (specially in TC mode).

So, two things:

1) For how long do you guys puff?
2) Are my long puffs affecting the durantion of my batteries?

For 0,18 ohm i often vape with 65W, some times a little higher, like 90w --- or 100w for just one puff for make a big cloud for a joke or something (and in this high wattage i do short puffs, cause this is what my lungs can handle...)

And with my 0,40 ohm coil i use 45W to my real long puff in TC mode.

Thats it.

Thanks guys.

Best.

Last edited:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My vape experience is mostly defined by the power level I vape at. That determines what atty I chose to use, the build I chose for it and how quick or slow I inhale (so the length of my puffs).

Yes, it's not quite that simple, but power (watts) is the most important and first thing I decide on when I chose a setup.

TC is neat, but ultimately watts rule even in a TC setup :) . Some TC mods will let you know how many watts they ran at for the last puff, some won't.

At 13 watts and under I take longer puffs say around 8 seconds, at 14-20 watts they get a bit shorter say around 5-6 seconds and at above 30 watts they get shorter still.

The number of minutes your batteries last for will for the most part depend on the watts you actually vape at and the number of mAh of battery capacity you have available. It is pretty much that simple. Resistance is irrelevant here, it's all about the watts.

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
My vape experience is mostly defined by the power level I vape at. That determines what atty I chose to use, the build I chose for it and how quick or slow I inhale (so the length of my puffs).

Yes, it's not quite that simple, but power (watts) is the most important and first thing I decide on when I chose a setup.

TC is neat, but ultimately watts rule even in a TC setup :) . Some TC mods will let you know how many watts they ran at for the last puff, some won't.

At 13 watts and under I take longer puffs say around 8 seconds, at 14-20 watts they get a bit shorter say around 5-6 seconds and at above 30 watts they get shorter still.

The number of minutes your batteries last for will for the most part depend on the watts you actually vape at and the number of mAh of battery capacity you have available. It is pretty much that simple. Resistance is irrelevant here, it's all about the watts.
Dig it.

I use a Revenger X, in in TC mode it let me choose watts (i guess max watts in this case), cause the watts keep on changing during the puff (i guess is to maintain the temp).

And the question about batteries was just cause mine were dying too fast, but i was vaping a lot, chain vaping and long puffs, so i though the long puffs x Watts could be drainning more from them (the mAh os the batteries i understand well :) )

Thans for your repply man,

Best.

(PS: @Ryedan What set of Mod+tank+coil you use to vape at 13W!?!)

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh most of those real short puff people are having to do it that way becuase it is hot with high wattage and would get VERY hot with a longer pull.

I prefer longer slower just warm pulls.
And of course MTL vapers do shorter pulls.

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Ahh most of those real short puff people are having to do it that way becuase it is hot with high wattage and would get VERY hot with a longer pull.

I prefer longer slower just warm pulls.
And of course MTL vapers do shorter pulls.
"I prefer longer slower just warm pulls.

Same here :)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I usually take 5-6 second draws, as I also did with cigarettes. However if I'm cooking or doing something else that requires both hands, I'll turn up the watts to about 9.8w so I can take shorter hits but still feel satisfied (my normal wattage is 9.5 or 9.6).

Andria

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I usually take 5-6 second draws, as I also did with cigarettes. However if I'm cooking or doing something else that requires both hands, I'll turn up the watts to about 9.8w so I can take shorter hits but still feel satisfied (my normal wattage is 9.5 or 9.6).

Andria
What do you use to vape with 9,5 watts? With my RTA and 0,4 ohm i get almost no vapor at this wattage (i use a regulated 2 batteries mod)...
Best.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What do you use to vape with 9,5 watts? With my RTA and 0,4 ohm i get almost no vapor at this wattage (i use a regulated 2 batteries mod)...
Best.

I vape like it's 2014. :D I use an RDA called Achilles, which is the best tight draw atty EVER. Sadly, they're not made anymore. I use only single battery mods.

This is the Achilles:

achilles.jpg

Andria

ETA: that's approximately a 1.7 ohm coil... 8 wraps. My latest for some reason I gave it an extra wrap, so it's a bit over 2 ohms, but still vapes great. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What do you use to vape with 9,5 watts?

Nautilus Mini I vape between 9.9W and 12W depending on the e-Liquid. But got tired of the Mini after years so now using the Nautilus X at 14.5W. But I go from one MOD to another all day so right now the Cuboid with the Aries Pro tank at 40W.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Short fast pulls doesn't necessarily make it hot. If, for example, I'm on a pair of fused claptons with fairly high watts it tends to sear into the cotton toward the end of the pull unless I let go of the fire button (not using TC mode, just wattage mode or usually on a series mech). It seems as if the wicking can't continue to keep up after the first 2 seconds or less. Whereas other types of coil builds, not necessarily that much more advanced types (e.g. staggered fused claptons), have more of a tendency to gobble up juice if you suck hard enough toward the end of the pull so that the juice almost gets pulled up into your mouth and gets splayed onto the coils as a result. It only works if the right amount of juice is in the RDA before every pull. There is usually not that much leeway. Overdrip it and juice gets pulled up into your mouth as well as leaks out of the air holes after that. Not enough juice left in there and it completely misses the effect so the warm wetness of the vape gets turned into something abrasively dry and diluted.

For reasons that are obvious, not everyone wants or is capable to do hard pulls like that. It is a bit of a separate kind of art and that also involves a lot of experimentation to get it right. It is a balancing act like riding a wave adapting yourself to it in order to master it instead of controlling it by taming it down. Probably the best way to describe it is it's the exact opposite of temp control. You do get massive airflow, but still also truly focused airflow with just enough restrictiveness to be able to sense what goes on inside the RDA and to cool down the vape instead of diluting it making it hot and dry as well as harsh. It certainly doesn't work with every RDA, as a lot of RDAs are designed to be used with relaxed coil builds and a lot of RDAs would be incapable to avoid violent spitback, etc.. So IMO if you get it right it will be really wet, dense, saturated, and just warm but never too warm nor anywhere near hot. The resulting flavor will be accordingly intense, and, some juices will benefit greatly from these characteristics of the vape. Juices that I normally wouldn't want to vape without this vaping style are all wonderfully brought to life.

sfc.jpg
sfc 52.jpg

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Short fast pulls doesn't necessarily make it hot
but if your pull is too long it gets too hot and burns cotton? And maybe your mouth/throat?

Me? I vape at a sustainable wattage for a long slow warm vape.
I prefer to not push the envelope.

But whatever works for you.
As long as you do not damage yourself at it there is no wrong way to vape I suppose.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All of the above... basically I vape the way I smoked for 40 years. Long pull short pulls and all in between......

Now i do care about battety life which is why I tend to vape at 30 watts or less. So I only have to change battery 1x per day. Current build .3ohms running at 15watts is twisted stainless either 26 or 28 dont Remember

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
(PS: @Ryedan What set of Mod+tank+coil you use to vape at 13W!?!)

My current favorite adv setup is a Pico 75 with a DoggyStyle RTA on it, 28 gauge wire, 3mm ID and either three or five wraps. I prefer the three wrap for lower power and I use a bit higher nic than my usual 1.5'ish mg with 100% PG for a bit of TH. The DoggyStyle with the three wrap runs well for me between 10-15 watts and the larger coil goes up to around 18 watts. The air flow wide open is what I consider a nice mildly restricted LH, but for anyone used to open airflow I think it would be considered pretty restricted.

You definitely need an atty that will support lower power, just as you need one that will support higher power. They do have a surprising amount of range though. IMO the Doggystyle is probably good from 10 to about 30 watts though I've never taken it that high. I have a few Aromamizer RDTAs that I've run from 20 watts up to around 60 and they will do more. But I really doubt I could get a good 10 watt vape from the AR and I know I couldn't get a good 60 watt vape from the Doggy no matter what builds I put in them.

Last edited:

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
My current favorite adv setup is a Pico 75 with a DoggyStyle RTA on it, 28 gauge wire, 3mm ID and either three or five wraps. I prefer the three wrap for lower power and I use a bit higher nic than my usual 1.5'ish mg with 100% PG for a bit of TH. The DoggyStyle with the three wrap runs well for me between 10-15 watts and the larger coil goes up to around 18 watts. The air flow wide open is what I consider a nice mildly restricted LH, but for anyone used to open airflow I think it would be considered pretty restricted.

You definitely need an atty that will support lower power, just as you need one that will support higher power. They do have a surprising amount of range though. IMO the Doggystyle is probably good from 10 to about 30 watts though I've never taken it that high. I have a few Aromamizer RDTAs that I've run from 20 watts up to around 60 and they will do more. But I really doubt I could get a good 10 watt vape from the AR and I know I couldn't get a good 60 watt vape from the Doggy no matter what builds I put in them.
I just vape DTL, so, just after this conversation that i understand that de MTL uses less watts in general... (Told ya im new in this stuff lol).
Cheers

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm primarily a Mech user, my builds are usually around 0.14 Ohm's. I like a slightly restricted airflow and take long DTL draws. I like a warm dense Vape with lots of flavor.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
but if your pull is too long it gets too hot and burns cotton? And maybe your mouth/throat?

Me? I vape at a sustainable wattage for a long slow warm vape.
I prefer to not push the envelope.

But whatever works for you.
As long as you do not damage yourself at it there is no wrong way to vape I suppose.
If using fused claptons and high watts, IME yes a too long pull tends to transition towards becoming a semi-dry hit near the end of the pull. But neither one of both builds in the pictures I posted up thread are suffering from that issue... the first picture is 28g/36g Ni80 in the 24mm Mason V2 using only the bottom airflow option, and IMO it vapes just right with two 5-legged iJoy 20700 batteries in series on the mech, whereas the second one is 29g/36g Ni80 in the Kennedy 25, which is a .52 ohms build so, and IMO that one vapes just right with three Vapcell 30A 3100mAh 20700 batteries in series on the mech so it is really very fast and completely fills your lungs long before you get to 1.5 seconds even when the batteries aren't fully charged so that also is part of the whole secret strategy of course because what else WERE you planning on doing by putting three batteries in series in a mech anyway in the first place, eh? :D

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Usually take 3-5 second pulls .... longer if TC

I tend to chain vape in bouts and will go through a squonk bottle or two easily ... as such don’t like building too low on mechs or the batteries gets too warm

Regulated mods my normal go to build is a fused Clapton of some sort ...35-50w single or 65-80w dual

Aliens or staples go a bit higher maybe

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Usually take 3-5 second pulls .... longer if TC

I tend to chain vape in bouts and will go through a squonk bottle or two easily ... as such don’t like building too low on mechs or the batteries gets too warm

Regulated mods my normal go to build is a fused Clapton of some sort ...35-50w single or 65-80w dual

Aliens or staples go a bit higher maybe
In terms of RTA-RDA, my only experience is with the Zeus Dual, always using dual coils. If i understand what you said, with two coils people usually use more wattage?

best.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
In terms of RTA-RDA, my only experience is with the Zeus Dual, always using dual coils. If i understand what you said, with two coils people usually use more wattage?

best.

Generally yeah

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I have a nice restrictive draw, I take a good long puff but my wattage is usually set low.

For direct lung setups, I usually up the wattage so shorter puffs (around 3 or 4 seconds) is more or less what I do. I would guess that you'll need some lung capacity to be taking a long drag on a direct lung setup because a lot of vapor is produced.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The long, slow pull is what I miss most about the cowboy killers.

Problem is, I don't really build, and am not into mtl tanks.

So, maybe I should look for a mid-wattage factory ss316 coil than can do TC well. Maybe the Freemax Mesh Pro ss316 coil? Others that may work? FL Mesh also has a newer 0.12 ss316 coil. Not sure if any of the Crown 3 or Nunchaku coils are good options......

VU Sponsors