Become a Patron!

Long time menthol smoker new to nicotine vaping

Ok. Ive smoked for 20 years. Past 10 at least a pack a day.. I smoke Camel Crush Menthol(the green pack). I like my cigs Icy and strong. I've vaped on and off on occasion but never kept at it bc I only tried cheap preset fill up and thats it types. Really have to quit cigs bc expense and with my asthma its killing me. Anyway I now have a Joyetech eGrip 2 which I'm sure you seasoned papers know is adjustable with different modes. Ive done quite a bit of reading and found slightly helpful reads to help teach me what the modes are and kind of understand but can't find the exact answers I'm looking for ideal settings and I'm tired of wasting time not finding them. I am using BF SS316-0.5ohm DL coils.. I do know what all that stands for and understand which modes I can use it on.. What I can't figure out is what to set my Mod at for my ideal preference. As I stated I am looking to get as close to what my experience the cigarettes give me. I want a higher end nicotine delivery with my cherished menthol flavor and an Icy burn finish. but not burn like harsh and my throat is on fire. looking to get close as possible so I don't want to go have a cig 5 minutes after bc it just wasn't the same. anybody used to smoke my brand or anyone give me a few pointers?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can't help in the menthol dept....but welcome to VU......:vino:

NoProblem

Member For 2 Years
Your situation sounds similar to mine about 15 months ago. I'm sure if you keep at it you will figure out what works best for your needs, but usually you start with what the recommended wattage says right on the coil, which your coils say 15-30watts. Seems pretty low to me but I don't really have a clue about those coils, must be a mouth to lung coil?

If you want a cig 5 min after vaping, I think that is due, at least in part, to a lack of nicotine in your vape. Experiment by upping the mg of nic in your juice or maybe switching to a different tank. That's what I did and currently I am feeding my nic craving with a variety of mods, tanks and of course, e-juice. I only use 3mg nic in my juices but I DIY my own juice or it'd cost me more than smoking I think.

I switched to direct lung vaping about a year ago (March 28, 2017) which is the same day I smoked my last cig. There are plenty of menthol juices out there, or you can easily mix your own menthol (buy the crystals and PG on Amazon and mix yourself in 5 minutes) and add a few drops of that to whatever juice you want, to cool it off a bit or tweak it to your own comfort level.

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As NoProb noted, if you are craving a cigarette 5 minutes after a vape session, I'd try upping the nic level in the juice you are using. Don't know what you are using for nicotine level now, but I'd say if you are using 3mg nic, bump to 6, if you're using 6mg bump to 12. Higher nic will also give you more throat hit. Another thing to try may be different coils. While you are likely using the coil you are because of mouth to lung, you might want to try something with a higher wattage rating. It might mean going to direct to lung, but the higher wattage usable with a DL coil will give you a more aggressive throat hit.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome @trentrester and I hope you enjoy your stay~!

When I quit smoking I was at 24-36 MG and slowly bumped it down. The device makes all the difference in how much Nicotine you get. Also to quit I had to go cold turkey and use Nicotine and will power to not smoke. Good Luck

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Ok. Ive smoked for 20 years. Past 10 at least a pack a day.. I smoke Camel Crush Menthol(the green pack). I like my cigs Icy and strong. I've vaped on and off on occasion but never kept at it bc I only tried cheap preset fill up and thats it types. Really have to quit cigs bc expense and with my asthma its killing me. Anyway I now have a Joyetech eGrip 2 which I'm sure you seasoned papers know is adjustable with different modes. Ive done quite a bit of reading and found slightly helpful reads to help teach me what the modes are and kind of understand but can't find the exact answers I'm looking for ideal settings and I'm tired of wasting time not finding them. I am using BF SS316-0.5ohm DL coils.. I do know what all that stands for and understand which modes I can use it on.. What I can't figure out is what to set my Mod at for my ideal preference. As I stated I am looking to get as close to what my experience the cigarettes give me. I want a higher end nicotine delivery with my cherished menthol flavor and an Icy burn finish. but not burn like harsh and my throat is on fire. looking to get close as possible so I don't want to go have a cig 5 minutes after bc it just wasn't the same. anybody used to smoke my brand or anyone give me a few pointers?

First and most important. Vaping is not smoking. Nothing burns (hopefully). That said, you are not going to be using any tobacco nor getting any of those hundreds of cancer causing chemicals. However, vape juice can not taste like burning tobacco. What you actually get is tobacco flavor, most similar to the smell of an unlit cigarette. Of course, there are menthol options available. So a menthol tobacco flavor would be a good option, but remember, vaping is not smoking, your days of burnt plant flavor are finished, so get over it. (lol) Plus side is.. you will have more days left to "get over it" (after 10 years, lung tissue has repaired to the same as someone who never smoked)

But 10 years is a long time to wait.. what's in it for you now? For 1, your blood o2 level will increase within hours of stopping. Within 2 days, your breathing will improve, no more getting winded from taking off your socks. Within a week your stamina will improve "giggity-giggity" and within 2 weeks you can improvise a loin cloth made from 2 hand towels and a leather belt, chasing your wife around the room while beating your chest and yelling like Tarzan, with much better odds of catching her.. (Don't use floral print hand towels... it defeats the purpose)

So you got the tobacco and menthol flavor.. now for throat hit.. that is what the PG or Propalene Glycol content does. More PG = more "throat hit" or "burn" like you get off a cigarette. I would say start 30pg/70vg and if you like more hit, increase to 40/60 or 50/50. (I started lower pg since you said you didn't want a harsh burn)

Next you will want a mouth to lung (M2L MTL) tank and battery pack. (tank goes on top of the battery pack (also called mod)) both tank and mod together are known as "kits". The idea is to suck the vapor into your mouth, then inhale it to your lung, exactly like you do with a cigarette. You can sit on the couch and watch tv and puff away at your leisure, or you can sit down and take a full on vape break, vaping for 5 to 7 minutes just like you would have a cigarette after coffee or dinner. M2L kits don't produce a lot of vapor so you can vape while you drive (crack the window a bit) and if you drop your vape, you don't have to frantically search your crotch area... heat stops when you stop pressing the button.

Even better.. if you buy unflavored e-cig juice (or make your own) NOBODY will know if you sneak into the bathroom for a puff.. Vapor disapears in seconds and no smell to give you away.. Muwhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... really handy if confined to hospital.. heh heh.

PLUS... I get 120ml of ejuice for $34.50. The price of 2 packs of cigarettes here in Canada. With a M2L rig (aka kit) that should come out to about 24 days of vaping at 5ml per day. So your first 2 bottles of ejuice vs equal money spent on cigarettes covers the cost of your kit and juice in your first 3 1/2 weeks, the rest is profit. Compare what 22 packs of cigarettes would cost you, and put that right in your pocket! For me, that's a steak dinner for me, pasta dinner for the wife and 2 pitchers of draft twice a week in savings. Mind you, i don't do that.. but i COULD do it. :) for the same money i used to spend on smokes.

Then of course, the added benefit of parents and siblings seeing how much better you look and feel, and deciding to give vaping a go and quit the stinkies. (Not the idiot brother in law... F him...) lol.

OH... btw.. your airflow adjusts how hard you have to draw on your vape. M2L = lower airflow / lower temp/power.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I used to smoke camel crush and/or Marlboro red as well as lucky strikes (hard to get in the US I noticed lol). When I started vaping, I picked of course a tobacco and a menthol flavor, as well as koolada type per recommendation and all at 3mg.

Lemme tell you this absolutely back fired on me, so after a long trial and error I picked dessert and fruit flavors I've never thought I would like or enjoy, as well as upping my nicotine to 6mg, but man that was too much for me, so I lowered to 4.5 and for the longest time, I stuck with fruit and creams. And that my friend was the best decision I personally have made.

My friend and husband on the other hand, normally smoking american spirits, went right away with 6mg and chose a sweet tobacco with slight hints of vanilla, they never touched a cigarette after a tank of that.

So I would say this, if you have the option to test juices either by purchasing samples, or in a local vape store go for it, you'll be surprised how flavors you ruled out right away might be just what you want/need. If you then found something you like, deal with the other issue - nicotine. Purchase the juices in different mg, the ones you liked and see which is doing the trick for you. Being a bit lower than you might want ain't bad, just vape more instead of getting nicotine sick, because you jumped on a 24mg first chance you've got :)

One thing I can say, while I loved the crush, I hate any eliquid that has menthol, koolada, w32 and whatever else its called. Peppermint I can somewhat tolerate but not daily

Edit: if you do not want to up your nic, give salt a shot, faster delivery and some people love it just because of that. Lots of manufacturers having a salt line, I'm sure if you want to stick with that, there's a menthol of some kind. and smoother than regular nicotine based liquid, not giving you the razor sharp throat hit.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors