Become a Patron!

longtime smoker, confused about vapes!

spikebites

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all...

I've been a cigarette smoker for 18 years now, usually a pack every 2 days, so not too heavy. I am so confused as to what I need to buy in order to replace cigarettes forever. I went into a vape store near my house and the only thing they did was confuse me more.

The lady was telling me that the "coil" needed to be replaced every 2 weeks or less... And I was thinking, WHAT? So EVERY 2 weeks I have to go back to the store to buy a new "coil"? how is this considered convenient? I kept thinking, what would happen if this coil were to break down leaving me with nothing to smoke until I had to drive back to the store and get a replacement "coil." This seemed like a huge inconvenience. The thing with cigarettes is, they are always there and ready to go. So what I need to know is, or if someone could please just tell me what items I need to buy, so that I could be guaranteed 2 months of hassle free smoking.

That means, I want to find something that will last me 2 months without having to order anything else. So if that means I need to order 4-6 "coils", and or 2-3 battery packs, or 5-6 juices, or 2-3 tanks, please advise me on whats the recommended devices that will guarantee me trouble free smoking for 2 months. I believe in those 2 months time, I will be familiar enough to know what will need to be replaced more often than not. I just don't want to buy just 1 of something, and finding out 2 weeks later that I need to order another and go back to cigarettes while waiting for the new shipment to arrive.

I am open to all suggestions, please and if you could provide the best online store to purchase them at as well. The B&M store I was at was charging $150+ for just the battery pack or something and $4-6 for coils. I do know that I want one of those battery packs that can adjust the power, so that I can take bigger hits. I bought a vape pen from a gas station, and it just doesn't hit strong enough to make me want to give up cigarettes. All of the starter kits I see online are the basic pen ones that don't have adjustable power on them. I want something that I won't have to replace so soon.

Thanks !

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, what ever you find that works for you, just have enough supplies ahead that you won't run out, as with anything notice when you get low on them re-order what you need to have "spare on hand" you'll know what rate you'll go through juice and coils as you are longer into vaping:) Good luck:)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Ok heres the simplest I can make it

You need 3 things to vape

1. JUICE - most folks starting out will use 2-4ml of juice in a day maybe more so you need 60-100ml a juice to get through a month. FInding a good tasting juice for you is a quest and takes lot sof experimentation. SOme people use 1 flavor all day, others use 3,4,5,.. different flavors a day.
You have to order your juice witha certain nicotine level. 24mg is usually the highest and equates to Marlboro red, 18mg is a bit less 12 mg is like smoking lights, 6mg is for good for someone who doesnt smoke a pack a day and smokes lights. There is also this thing with juice called pg/vg ratio. Start with 50/50 untill you learn more about what pg and vg do in terms of taste and throat hit and you are ready to experiment.

2. The thing you put the juice in. These are called, tanks,drippers,clearomizers,cartomizers glasomizers etc. They all do the same basic thing hold the juice and the COIL and turn the juice into vapor. You want something simple to start out with like a nautolis or a iclear 30s etc. you will find people who have all different recommendations. I would start with whatever your local store recommends cuz then you have easy access to them if something goes wrong.
The coils are inside this. A coil last 1-3 weeks for most people. the stuff inside the coil basically wears out from use in simplest terms. You need to replace these. They usually cost between 2-5 each so always have extras around. You can get duds that only work a day or 2. these are mass produced in china mostly and quality control is not always the best. SO having 5 to start with is a good place to start and could last you 2-3 months.

3. A battery. these come in different shapes and sizes. Some have built in batteries some need special batteries you recharge yourself with special chargers. IF you go with built in batteries. You may make it a day or so without recharging depending on how much you vape. If you go with a device that you replace the battery, if it holds 1 battery assume you will get about a day out of the battery, if it takes 2 batteries double that.., If you VAPE heavily the battery will deplete faster. The simplest mods to start with are the kanger subbox if you want to go with one that you replace the battery. If you want a built in battery try an istick 30w. If you go with replacing the battery your self have an extra one.

As you get more involved with vaping, it all makes more and more sense and seems simple and easy.

I myself have 2 istick 30w batteries, one to use one charging for when the other runs out. I keep 3-5 coils on hand at all times. I make my own juice, but when i didnt i tried to always have at least 50-60ml on hand and if I went below that I would buy a few hundred more mls

Satchvai

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Great post from Matt. I would also see if there are other vape shops in your area. I've found huge differences in customer service and culture between vape shops. My favorite ones are the ones with a juice bar, where you can try all the flavors before you buy.

Ravi Brounstein

Herbal Dude
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great post from Matt. I would also see if there are other vape shops in your area. I've found huge differences in customer service and culture between vape shops. My favorite ones are the ones with a juice bar, where you can try all the flavors before you buy.

Those are the best kind, hard to find unless you live in a college town though.

I actually couldn't find any like that in San Francisco, oddly only tobacco/vape/sex shops in one. I found a single shop with a bar in Berkeley.

I'm sure some exist in SF, just not on google or yelp I suppose.

cage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What kind of budget are you looking at? There is a lot of great gear out there at all price points. What brand and blend of cigarette do you smoke?

As I've recommended to many people since I started was an iStick 30 with either a Kanger Subtank Mini or Nano. This is a great mod and with your smoking style, you will get well over a day (if not two) out of a charge and a Subtank Mini tank. I recommend the iStick 30 because it is a solid and reliable device that has an internal battery. This means less initial outlay of cash and one less thing to worry about as you start out.

Coil life really depends on the juice that you use as darker juices will tend to gunk up your coil faster than lighter juices. I am on over two weeks on my current coil with the same juice as my everyday vape but some of my other juices will get funky after a week. With the Subtank, I would recommend trying both of the coils (two coils are included but are of different resistances leading to a different type of vape), figuring out which you like best, and then buying a 5 pack.

Juice...well that's subjective. You might start out with a tobacco blend but I can almost guarantee you that you will transition to something completely different rather quickly as you taste buds come back. Also, after vaping on the same flavor for two months you will probably stop tasting it as your taste buds change. My suggestion - find a vape shop with a bar that will you sample different juices. Also, to note here, the lower you go in ohms the less nicotine content you need in the juice. I was a pack + a day Camel filter smoker for over 20 years and the guys set me up with 6mg nicotine juice when I bought my first rig running a .2 ohm coil. I thought that was way too low but went with their suggestion. I had my last cigarette less than 5 days later.

Out of curiosity, why do you need a one time purchase to last 2 months? I'm sure that there are many reasons for this, I'm just curious. Also, find a better vape shop if you can or someone locally that can help you even more. If you were confused when you left than that shop owner is pretty sad or that was a bad employee. My first experience in a vape shop was terrific and one guy spent over an hour with me helping me to make a wise purchase.

Good luck with quitting smoking! Vaping did it for me once and for all and was a painless transition (although I still get the odd urges now and then).

spikebites

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
great, thanks for tips everyone.

i purchased
Eleaf iStick 30W Box Mod Kit - Silver

Kangertech Subtank Mini

Kangertech Subtank Organic Cotton Coil (Resistance: 0.5ohm)

Kangertech Subtank Organic Cotton Coil (Resistance: 1.2ohm)

I couldn't find any extra batteries for the iStick 30W. Are they shaped like AA batteries? or, are batteries interchangeable with other companies?
And another question is, why do people suggest to mix and match? Why not go with Eleaf iStick Box Mod and the Eleaf tank? or why not Kangertech Mod with tank?

spikebites

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not sure how to quote but to answer your question Cage about the 2 months... well I just said 2 months because, I don't want to have something break on me, and then revert back to smoking if I have to reorder something online. That will take days to receive in the mail. I am worried that if for example a battery breaks, a coil runs out, I will end up smoking my cigarettes if I can't find a way to fix the vape. If that makes sense.

I have yet to find a vape shop thats near my house that isn't a complete rip off. I don't really have a budget issue. Cigarettes were expensive as it is, I just don't like getting ripped off when things are much cheaper online.

So, someone also mentioned I should keep a spare battery lying around... Does that mean I should buy anohter iStick 30W box thing? I was thinking of buying the 50W as a spare. would that work the same way?

And do I need a new "coil" or a new "tank" for all the different flavors? Should I have spare "tanks" lying around in case something happens? or are coils enough?

Thanks everyone! I'm super excited about quitting smoking now that I have ordered these.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Backup.

When I quit smoking and switched to vaping, I needed backup. An extra battery(mod), tank, and coils. Juice on hand.

The worst thing was having a bad coil, dead battery or running short on juice. That's when the temptation to just light a cig was the greatest.

For me, I never needed more than 11 watts. Just two of everything. As long as I could get a decent tasting vape I was good to go.

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
great, thanks for tips everyone.

i purchased
Eleaf iStick 30W Box Mod Kit - Silver

Kangertech Subtank Mini

Kangertech Subtank Organic Cotton Coil (Resistance: 0.5ohm)

Kangertech Subtank Organic Cotton Coil (Resistance: 1.2ohm)

I couldn't find any extra batteries for the iStick 30W. Are they shaped like AA batteries? or, are batteries interchangeable with other companies?
And another question is, why do people suggest to mix and match? Why not go with Eleaf iStick Box Mod and the Eleaf tank? or why not Kangertech Mod with tank?
The istick 30w has internal battery. All you need is a charge cable.

cage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not sure how to quote but to answer your question Cage about the 2 months... well I just said 2 months because, I don't want to have something break on me, and then revert back to smoking if I have to reorder something online. That will take days to receive in the mail. I am worried that if for example a battery breaks, a coil runs out, I will end up smoking my cigarettes if I can't find a way to fix the vape. If that makes sense.

I have yet to find a vape shop thats near my house that isn't a complete rip off. I don't really have a budget issue. Cigarettes were expensive as it is, I just don't like getting ripped off when things are much cheaper online.

So, someone also mentioned I should keep a spare battery lying around... Does that mean I should buy anohter iStick 30W box thing? I was thinking of buying the 50W as a spare. would that work the same way?

And do I need a new "coil" or a new "tank" for all the different flavors? Should I have spare "tanks" lying around in case something happens? or are coils enough?

Thanks everyone! I'm super excited about quitting smoking now that I have ordered these.

I see and understand your point perfectly! This is why I have so many tanks, mods, parts, juices, and all floating around. Plus I like to buy cool things.

I highly recommend having a backup. Say, maybe another Subtank Mini combined with an iTaste MVP 3.0 (another 30W mod in a bigger box mod configuration). I can't recommend the iStick 50W mods due to what I have read about them (they might be great but I have no first hand experience with them). But yes, the 50W would work in the same manner.

As far as switching flavors go, if I am changing flavors in the same tank I wash the tank out first (the Subtank can be completely disassembled easily). You don't have to change your coil but the old juice will go through, blend into the next, and then the new juice takes over. You might find a new cool flavor, or you might find dog butt. I tend to pull the coil, drop it in some high alcohol vodka, and install a new coil.

And for tanks, well if you get another Subtank Mini then you will have 4 glass tanks (a spare comes with each). So if you drop your vape and the tank breaks then you have another. Other than that, having a spare tank on hand (2 tanks for 1 mod for example) isn't really needed.

I hope this is helping explain things and keep asking questions! This is a great forum and people around here are more than happy to help you along the path away from cigarettes!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok you bought pretty muvh what i have used for the past 4 months.
YOu have bought a SUBTANK which means something special. you will be using coils that can below 1 ohm. even the 1.2 ohm coils are lowish.
This means you can go through a lot of juice in a day. I use 10-15mls a day but I vape heavily. Many of us started on coils that are 1.8 ohms and higher. The lower you ohms the more juice it uses generally which means more clouds and more flavor usually.
Your juice should be no higher the 6mg. Any higher might not feel comfortable. SOME people do use higher nicotine on sub tanks, but most use 6mg or even 3mg. Keep your pg/vg ration at 50/50 to start.

The istick 30w will not last me a day using the subtank. I get about half a day or so. SO I bought a second one. I use one while the other charges.
These batteries do have a life span. Like all rechargable
batteries they wear out over time. I found after about 100 charges my isticks 30ws stopped having the same charge capacity as they did when they were new. SO eventually you will need to replace them. THIS IS TRUE of all mods with built in batteries or even the AA looking batteries you buy for mods that need batteries. But 100 charges got me through about 4 months of use. Your mileage may differ

Generally I would get 2 weeks out of a coil. Always have 2 extra. like I said before these are massed produced. You may OCCASIONALLY get a dud. Not very often though with these from my experience. You dont want to need to change a coil and the only one you have is a dud.

Thats all I got atm. let us know if you have more questions

chuck.finley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use a subtank, I would go for 6mg nicotine in your juice. And I would definately buy another battery, running out and having to charge sucks.

spikebites

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh. I did buy a subtank. I don't know the difference between a subtank and a regular tank. But I just realized that the juices I bought with my order were 18mg, and 12mg. I normally smoke Malroboro Mediums.. which became Marlboro Red Labels, so I figured I needed something at least 12mg.

Why do subtanks only require 6mg? Now I guess I will have to go to a vape store for different juice. I don't want to get sick the first time I vape, that would probably deter me from vaping for awhile.

Also, with the iStick 30W, will I be able to control how much smoke is produced? I was just thinking that I wanted huge fat clouds, but then sometimes when I am indoors and want to be "discreet", is there a way to lower the power to get really tiny clouds?

Which devices have interchangeable batteries? or which is the recommended one? is the higher the wattage the better overall?

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally, i have three sets of batteries, because not only does it suck to run out of battery power, but it is also not good to let your batteries fully drain-basically the rule of thumb for any rechargeable device or batter pack. I use an RDA so having coils ready to put on the atty is also a must for me. For the juice If you are new I would say 9mg at the least, because those first few days you are really wrestling with yourself about it being ok to have just one since you are well on your way to quitting. I also usually recommend cutting down to where you are at like 1 stick a day and then throwing those stinkies away and vaping only. To each their own after 20 years of smoking this worked for me so far.

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am actually gonna buy another mod this weekend because I am already worried mine might break on me or something and might as well have a back up device. Gonna hit my first Vapeconvention too.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
the istick lets you control the wattage or voltage sent to the tank. SO you can sort of get more or less clouds. That has to do with a combination or the coil and the power used.

When you use coils that are below 1ohm (SUB OHMING) you are producing a massive amount of vapor in your mouth at once. That means more nicotine at one time. Nicotine adds throat hit, you know that feeling on the back of your throat when you inhale, So when you use 12mg and 18mg on a sub ohm tank it will feel quite powerful in your throat when you inhale. could lead to a coughing fit. I would stick with the 1.2 ohm coils to start with. These are not technically a subohm coil but they are still quite low and can produce massive vapor. 12 mg in that MIGHT be ok to get you started.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You should try what you ordered for awhile before making any more purchases. Then you'll know what you like and don't like about it. Come back and tell us how it's working out and you'll get better advice on what gear to consider next. My subtank mini doesn't perform near as well as my kayfun for mouth to lung vaping and it doesn't perform near as well as my rda's for direct lung hit vaping. Some people love it, mine sits on a shelf. I'd just try what you've got coming for a bit and see. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
You should try what you ordered for awhile before making any more purchases. Then you'll know what you like and don't like about it. Come back and tell us how it's working out and you'll get better advice on what gear to consider next. My subtank mini doesn't perform near as well as my kayfun for mouth to lung vaping and it doesn't perform near as well as my rda's for direct lung hit vaping. Some people love it, mine sits on a shelf. I'd just try what you've got coming for a bit and see. Just my opinion. Good luck.
well if your subtank is just collecting dust on a shelf.....i might take it off your hands if its got the V2 rba head

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh. I did buy a subtank. I don't know the difference between a subtank and a regular tank. But I just realized that the juices I bought with my order were 18mg, and 12mg. I normally smoke Malroboro Mediums.. which became Marlboro Red Labels, so I figured I needed something at least 12mg.

Why do subtanks only require 6mg? Now I guess I will have to go to a vape store for different juice. I don't want to get sick the first time I vape, that would probably deter me from vaping for awhile.

Also, with the iStick 30W, will I be able to control how much smoke is produced? I was just thinking that I wanted huge fat clouds, but then sometimes when I am indoors and want to be "discreet", is there a way to lower the power to get really tiny clouds?

Which devices have interchangeable batteries? or which is the recommended one? is the higher the wattage the better overall?
The ways that nicotine is 'marketed' is highly flawed, especially regarding how they act in new sub ohm tanks, like the subtank. When I started I was given 24mg juice to use in my protank because I smoked a pack of full flavor menthols a day. It was way too strong for me, but just fine for others. You just have to see whats right for you.

As someone whos quitting, 12mg in a subtank might be just fine, but it will be strong. 18mg will be rough as hell, but who knows, it may be fine for you.
The reason some say 6mg for a sub ohm tank is because they produce alot of vapor. The kinds of tanks we had before, like a protank or a nautilus produced much less. More vapor, more flavor, more nic hit. Less vapor, less flavor, less nic hit. Its all pretty linear.

The wattage will help you adjust the amount of vapor that is produced, up to a certain point. All coils have their happy mediums. Below and the hit wont be satisfying, above and youll be burning your wick. But yes, the istick will allow for a decent amount of adjustment.
Higher wattage is only used with an 'atty' (an atty is short for atomizer, which is another way of saying 'the thing that holds juice, makes vapor, and sits on top of your battery) that is designed for it. For a starter like you using a subtank, 30watts is just fine. When you graduate to a rebuildable dripping atomizer, you will need higher than 30watts generally.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me. Ive been vaping for a couple years now and have gone through all the different graduations in gear, juice, and mindset. So if you need anything, just let me know.

spikebites

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, I got impatient waiting for my vape order to come... They still haven't shipped it out, so I went to a local vape store, and they suggested I buy the Kangertech black 50W with sub tank.

I went ahead and purchased it... I read the manual, and it says 5 presses on and 5 presses off. I tried that and it never shuts off. It stays in standby mode?
And also, on the screen, it says 23 W and 0.6 ohms. Is that right? Should I go higher or lower?
I picked up some juice, but this bottle that I used doesn't list the VG/PG on it. It only has the number 6.
I also picked up a different flavor 70% VG, 30% PG. The manual suggests 15W-50W for best flavor.
Looking inside the tank, I see the coil is 0.5 ohm. The person at the store said to fill the tank up to the silver area. At what point should I refill the tank? and if I wanted to try a different flavor, do I have to empty the tank out by smoking it til dry? or do I dump out what I have? seems like a waste to dump it out especially since each bottle was like $10.
And on the side of the tank, there are 3 notches. The bigger the hole/notch, the more smoke? or vice versa?

thanks for reading! so far so good, but i'm still kind of feening for a smoke!

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You're jones'n for a smoke not because of the lack of nicotine, it's all the other carcinogens that were turning your lungs into a couple pieces of charcoal... Keep at. Soon, you won't miss it.

We used to have a backup when we were smoking, and now vaping is the same.
When I quit smoking I got extra coils, juices, tanks and batteries...
I started with the Joyetech Ego-C starter kit, it was simple easy to charge but it didn't give that much of clouds like what I am seeing on the posts and videos!!!
I decided to upgrade my Mod to T\C which is IPV3Li,, and it came in full kit including the Atlantis 2 tank and the Mxjo batteries, which was all for $99.. To be honest I am very happy with it, cause I don't have to charge it that often and I can adjust the power to give me big clouds

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Okay, I got impatient waiting for my vape order to come... They still haven't shipped it out, so I went to a local vape store, and they suggested I buy the Kangertech black 50W with sub tank.

I went ahead and purchased it... I read the manual, and it says 5 presses on and 5 presses off. I tried that and it never shuts off. It stays in standby mode?
And also, on the screen, it says 23 W and 0.6 ohms. Is that right? Should I go higher or lower?
I picked up some juice, but this bottle that I used doesn't list the VG/PG on it. It only has the number 6.
I also picked up a different flavor 70% VG, 30% PG. The manual suggests 15W-50W for best flavor.
Looking inside the tank, I see the coil is 0.5 ohm. The person at the store said to fill the tank up to the silver area. At what point should I refill the tank? and if I wanted to try a different flavor, do I have to empty the tank out by smoking it til dry? or do I dump out what I have? seems like a waste to dump it out especially since each bottle was like $10.
And on the side of the tank, there are 3 notches. The bigger the hole/notch, the more smoke? or vice versa?

I do not own a subbox so I can't answer the question about powering off.
reading the OHMs of a coil is sometimes more art then science but it should be science. You can put the same coil on different mod(thats the subbox or istick) and get slightly different readings. Remember these are massed produced, so even though they are AIMING for .5 ohms it might be closer to .6 SO seeing .6 on a .5 coil is no big deal. Even .4 is not unusual.

How many watts you use is sort of up to you. The lower the ohm the more watts the coil can handle. SO the .5 coils can be pushed to 50 watts, but I use mine at 20 watts and like it. This is where you can customize your experience for you. Start low say 15w and then work your way up to see what tastes
best to you.

The hole sin the bottom are air holes. The more air that the tank can draw in the hotter the coils can get.

Usually you can vape a tank almost empty. But as the juice level drops below those holes in the COIL which is how the juice gets to the actual coil through some cotton, you may start to get dry or burnt hits, so thats when its time to refill. If you have any left and want to change flavors you have 2 options.
1. just put the new flavor is. then you will start with the old flavor and it will blend into the new flavor.or 2
tak eteh tip off you rb ottle and pour the left over sin.

Usually ou should be able to have like less then 1/2 a ml left in a subtank before you have to refill

chuck.finley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

If it's off, then is should just say "off" when you hit the fire button.

And that sounds like the 15-50 watt vertical coils. You should play around with the wattage and see what you like. I keep mine at about 30 watts or so with those coils.

Do you see the juice ports in the coil? Refill when the juice start to fall below that line.

And if you want to change your flavor, I just pour what's left back in my bottle so I don't waste it. When changing flavors while still using the same coil, make sure the flavors blend well together because you will need to vape off what is soaked up before you get the full new flavor.

The air holes are for your preference. I strongly recommend using the biggest air hole if you go above 20 watts. Not enough air in there and you will burn your wick up and it will taste baaaad. More air = more clouds for the most part.

Subox is a great starter kit, congrats, you made a very solid first purchase. I started on a little ego batter with a crappy 3 dollar plastic clearomizer haha. It got me off the smokes though so it did its job.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it's off, then is should just say "off" when you hit the fire button.

And that sounds like the 15-50 watt vertical coils. You should play around with the wattage and see what you like. I keep mine at about 30 watts or so with those coils.

Do you see the juice ports in the coil? Refill when the juice start to fall below that line.

And if you want to change your flavor, I just pour what's left back in my bottle so I don't waste it. When changing flavors while still using the same coil, make sure the flavors blend well together because you will need to vape off what is soaked up before you get the full new flavor.

The air holes are for your preference. I strongly recommend using the biggest air hole if you go above 20 watts. Not enough air in there and you will burn your wick up and it will taste baaaad. More air = more clouds for the most part.

Subox is a great starter kit, congrats, you made a very solid first purchase. I started on a little ego batter with a crappy 3 dollar plastic clearomizer haha. It got me off the smokes though so it did its job.
Well said. :cool:

spikebites

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks all for the replies.

I have been enjoying vaping so far. I was playing with the different settings, and when I turned it up to 40W, the mouth piece got noticeably hotter, so I am keeping it at 18W. Not sure which wattage produces more clouds, but they all seem the same to me.

One other problem I am having is, back when I was a cigarette smoker, I would inhale smoke to mouth then into lungs. With the mouthpiece on this box, I can no longer control my inhales. It goes straight to lungs, which feels very weird. I think I prefer mouth first then lungs.. Anyway to make this happen? maybe a mouthpiece? or something?

So far I've had to refill my tank once, and haven't had the need to charge my vape for 2 days now. So far so good.

cage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For a mouth to lung hit, Kanger (as well as myself and many others) recommends the 1.5 (or 1.2...whichever your spare is) ohm coil and to set the air flow to the smallest diameter hole.

chuck.finley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Turn your airflow down to one of the small holes. 18 watts is good for mouth to lung. I'm the opposite, straight to lung, warm and tasty. :D

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
after vaping for 4 years it took me a week to get use dto direct ling hitting off the kanger subtank
set the hoels to the smallest possible
use that for a day or so
then one click more open do that for a few days
then full open and its an easy adjustment. I no longer like MTL vaping

spikebites

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For a mouth to lung hit, Kanger (as well as myself and many others) recommends the 1.5 (or 1.2...whichever your spare is) ohm coil and to set the air flow to the smallest diameter hole.

Right now, I have the 0.5ohm coil in. I guess I will wait the 2 weeks before switching it with the 1.5 and 1.2 ohm I have on standby.

I just received two more eliquids. One with 80% PG 20% VG, and another with 80 VG 20 PG. Can't wait to try those out. But they have 12mg nicotine. I bought them before I realized sub-ohm tanks only needed 6mg.

spikebites

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im loving the 70% VG, 30% PG mix.. but I've noticed it burns fast or I go through a tank so much faster than others. The 80% PG, 20% VG I didn't like very much.

Is that the general consensus? That more VG is better than more PG?

chuck.finley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That all depends on what your body prefers and what kind of vape you want. I don't seem to have any reactions to anything haha so all that matters is what works best for me and my setup. More VG usually provides more vapor and runs best in lower ohm tanks. Sub ohm will go through more juice.

I personally like the max VG in my sub ohm tanks and RDAs.

Did you use the 12mg nicotine? How was that with the .5 ohm coil?

spikebites

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The 12mg nicotine, was the 20% PG, 80% VG. I really didn't like it at all. I kept taking hits. I guess it wasn't really working for me. The tank lasted a whole day, unlike the 70VG/30PG mix which lasted a half a day with fewer hits. Straight to lung hits also feel better with the 70/30 mix.

I still have a 50/50 mix with 10mg nicotine I have yet to try in my arsenal. I'm enjoying the 70/30 too much so it might be awhile before I try the 50/50.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im loving the 70% VG, 30% PG mix.. but I've noticed it burns fast or I go through a tank so much faster than others. The 80% PG, 20% VG I didn't like very much.

Is that the general consensus? That more VG is better than more PG?
That is the mix I use and like as well, any more pg than that it makes me cough

emsvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks all for the replies.

I have been enjoying vaping so far. I was playing with the different settings, and when I turned it up to 40W, the mouth piece got noticeably hotter, so I am keeping it at 18W. Not sure which wattage produces more clouds, but they all seem the same to me.

So far I've had to refill my tank once, and haven't had the need to charge my vape for 2 days now. So far so good.

I also use the Kanger Mini Box but I run mine at 50W and had the same problem with the Mouth Piece(drip tip). They are interchangeable for just a little cost. For 8 bucks I got a metal drip tip with a plastic liner inside and the problem has gone awau

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

spikebites

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My first coil died yesterday. So, about 3 weeks. Not bad.

Luckily I have 6 spares... But I noticed a few things.

Some of my coils, are rated 0.5ohms 15W-30W, and then I have another 0.5 ohms 15W-80W. And then I have 1.2 ohms 10W-26W. How come I have one that goes up to 80Ws? My mod is a 50W Kangertech. So does this mean that I shouldn't go above 30W on the 0.5ohms?

This second coil I have, lasted a day. I think I might've burnt it out quick on accident. Not sure what happened, but maybe it was just a bad coil.

cage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Look inside the three different coils and you will notice that the orientation of the cols are different. On the .5s that are rated at 15-30w, the coil is horizontal. On the ones rated 15-80W, they are vertical (new chimney style). The 1.2 ohm coils are also horizontal. I tend to run a factory around the halfway point wattage wise and adjust from there....although right now I am running a .5 ohm vertical coil at 30W in my Subtank.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thicker the Kanthal, (wire) in the coil, the more power it can handle/work. All the answers are here to discover. I have a 200w Mod, but almost never go above 30 watts. It's a learning thing. ;)

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Right now, I have the 0.5ohm coil in. I guess I will wait the 2 weeks before switching it with the 1.5 and 1.2 ohm I have on standby.

I just received two more eliquids. One with 80% PG 20% VG, and another with 80 VG 20 PG. Can't wait to try those out. But they have 12mg nicotine. I bought them before I realized sub-ohm tanks only needed 6mg.

I'm probably going to get burned for this. But having 12mg nicotine shouldn't be an issue, unless your flavor is spot on. Simply dilute it with straight VG or PG, mix it 50/50 and you have 6mg. Forewarned, this does reduce the flavor. If that's no go for you, buy a bottle of 0mg (same flavor) and mix it, then you have 6mg. You can purchase quality VG at almost any drug store, even WalMart.

I dilute every bottle I purchase with VG...period. Although the amount varies by flavor, 35-50% works great for me. I have one flavor that requires me to reduce by 75%. But it's a specialty blend, and the flavor is simply overpowering.

The 1.2 and 1.5 will offer a cooler vape. Just my opinion there.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My first coil died yesterday. So, about 3 weeks. Not bad.

Luckily I have 6 spares... But I noticed a few things.

Some of my coils, are rated 0.5ohms 15W-30W, and then I have another 0.5 ohms 15W-80W. And then I have 1.2 ohms 10W-26W. How come I have one that goes up to 80Ws? My mod is a 50W Kangertech. So does this mean that I shouldn't go above 30W on the 0.5ohms?

This second coil I have, lasted a day. I think I might've burnt it out quick on accident. Not sure what happened, but maybe it was just a bad coil.

Another on this thread for you. And another that will get me burned lol.
I run 6.5 watts on my 0.5ohm coils, and 8 watts on my 1.2ohm coils. Shocking I know.
Variable wattage/voltage is there to allow you to adjust for personal preferences.
While many will not recommend these low wattages. It's still a personal preference.
Burned coils do happen. I've had some crisp within an hour. Most last a couple of weeks.
When mine get ready to go, I generally have to increase the wattage to maintain the vape I need. 9-11 watts (respectively) is generally the day mine burn out.

chuck.finley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some of my coils, are rated 0.5ohms 15W-30W, and then I have another 0.5 ohms 15W-80W. And then I have 1.2 ohms 10W-26W. How come I have one that goes up to 80Ws?

The 15-30 are horizontal coils and the higher rated ones are vertical coils. The horizontal ones have all been garbage IME.

I run 6.5 watts on my 0.5ohm coils, and 8 watts on my 1.2ohm coils. Shocking I know.

And that is shocking, I use my .5 at 30 watts easy.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And that is shocking, I use my .5 at 30 watts easy.

Most of my friends run theirs significantly higher than me (same identical units). Huge clouds, etc etc.
I'm not chasing clouds, I'm trying to mimic the effect of past analog usage. My current setup allows that, although I do have to make minute adjustments every so often. My "habit" isn't about the first hit, it's about the second and third. Which is significantly hotter than the first. I'm a classic "hot boxer" if you're familiar with the term. So high wattage's literally fry my throat and lungs on the second and third hit.

I'm the odd man out. :D I run low wattages, get great deep lung hits (due to my blends), get decent clouds, and chain vape all day without dehydration or Nic issues.

Technic over madness, is a method. ;)

VU Sponsors