Become a Patron!

Longtime vaper/new time builder needs recommendation for first RDA based on some specifics...

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Partial repost from another forum, so sorry if you've seen it already.

I feel like I've been reading about RDAs for days straight now. I'm a little overwhelmed but I finally have a basic handle on what *features* I want... I just can't find a device that fits all of my stipulations on my own. Most all of these are fairly negotiable, but they are:

1) I would like to get an authentic RDA for $45 or less. Alternatively, if someone can recommend a clone they are VERY comfortable with, I'd consider it. I was looking at the Tobeco Dark Horse clone under recommendation but then a bunch of negative things put me off a little.

2) I'll definitely be starting with simple single coil builds, and honestly may stay there indefinitely. I like single coils. However, I would like the ability to build slightly more complicated builds in the future if possible.

2a) Because I may end up sticking with the single coils for a while, I don't like the holes in the deck of the Mutation X V4. That's out, and if any others have holes like that (directly under the wick), I don't think it's for me.

3) I like big clouds, but I like flavor too. Gun-to-my-head, flavor is more important.

4) Removable drip tip would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

5) I am a jewelery maker and am perfectly comfortable doing small fiddly things with my hands. A large size isn't a prerequisite; I am much more concerned about not having to drill out post holes. They don't have to be huge, but please no drilling.

6) I am currently using mostly a Kanger Subtank (all sizes, actually) with both the .5s and 1.2 heads. I just want a dripper again, though again have never owned an RDA.

7) I like a cooler vape, but I think this comes down more to my builds than the RDA itself.

8) Phillips or flat head screws strongly preferred.

9) 22mm. Again I think this has more to do with the build than the atomizer, but I'll be using this on regulated VV/VW devices.

I think that's the most pertinent information. Please let me know if I forgot anything. I wasn't crazy about the Doge v2 (non removable drip tip that seems to get hot), The Mutation X 4 (the holes), and the Tobeco Dark Horse clone (too much back and forth over quality so far). I had the Freakshow pulled up for a while but I'm pretty sure it has hex screws which doesn't really work for me... though I'm not yet certain it's a dealbreaker.

I hope I'm not asking for the moon here :/

ETA: There's a big part of me that is thinking that I'm just going to end up with a Volcano Cauldron for $19.99. Believe it or not it looks like it fulfills all my requirements and what few reviews I could find have been very positive. I dunno. Clearly I'm not decided, but that was the first one that caught my eye (I haven't bought anything from there in a while but used to love their stuff) and somehow I made my way back there after a LOT of searching. I can barely see a downside for $20 when I can so easily upgrade if I love it.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't like the bottom airflow rda's either. Check out the Mutation X v3, Tobeco Plume Veil (nicely made and cheap clone) and while it has hex screws the Derringer (I got the most reviewed fasttech clone) is a great flavor rda. I personally much prefer hex screws. They don't loosen up like Phillips screws. There are so many rda options that getting the piece that's perfect for you with your first purchase isn't likely. Just jump in with a cheap authentic or decent clone and go from there. Good luck and happy hunting.

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't like the bottom airflow rda's either. Check out the Mutation X v3, Tobeco Plume Veil (nicely made and cheap clone) and while it has hex screws the Derringer (I got the most reviewed fasttech clone) is a great flavor rda. I personally much prefer hex screws. They don't loosen up like Phillips screws. There are so many rda options that getting the piece that's perfect for you with your first purchase isn't likely. Just jump in with a cheap authentic or decent clone and go from there. Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks so much. I know it will be next to impossible to get something that's *perfect* for me right from the get-go, but I do know my style of vaping and while I'm always open to change, simply don't want to end up with something that I know really doesn't fit with what I like at the moment. I just know I really can't afford to spend any more money on vaping supplies after this for a while, so I don't want to get an RDA that is absolutely not for me.

I did look at the Mutation X V3. Can you confirm that the airflow control is set-up in such a way to allow closing one side for single coil builds? It looks like it, but I can't tell. I'm thinking if the answer is yes I'm going to say screw it and go for it. I know it's a popular model and it really does make me feel better not to get a clone if I can help it. No judgment on what anyone else wants to do but it makes me a) nervous and b) feel a little sleazy. Still, I'm not totally opposed if that's what works best. Thank you again.

For what it's worth, based on all I've seen and read, I think the Tugboat fulfills everything I want except for the steep price. Clones of that particularly seem wonky. But if that style helps anyone else narrow down (on the off-chance the Mutation X V3 has some other dealbreaker I can't see), I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with something along those lines.

RPGARRY said:
I like the Darang RDA clone by Tobeco it has a very deep juice well, good airflow, great flavor, easy to build & nearly leakproof.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I shuffled some things around and can probably go up to $60 on the RDA itself. Does this help my search at all?

Kay_Fun!

Mad Scientist
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I recommend the Dotcom RDA- it can be built for single or duel coils, has adjustable airflow, excellent post holes that can take small or large wire, deep juice well, and can use any 510 drip tip, although the one that comes with is is excellent. check out this link:

http://store.rbasupplies.com/dot-com-rba/

Kay_Fun!

Mad Scientist
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Oh- I forgot to mention the Dotcom is authentic American designed and manufactured- :)

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks so much for the recommendation. It looks super nice, but that stretches past my price point right now since I have to get wire and wick and some other tools, too :( But I'm definitely going to keep a note on it.

I'm actually looking at the Twisted Messes RDA right now, which seems like it could be a great choice, especially for the price. This is probably a really noob question but so far most of the builds I've seen on the Twisted Messes are super whackadoo and complicated compared to what I'm guessing I'll start with: a simple, .7ish ohm single coil setup with plain old Kanthal A1. Am I right in assuming that the Twisted Messes is capable of handling some crazy builds while still being fine to run something much simpler to start?

pakman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
this is a little more expansive than your $60 max range but the aeolus V2 is authentic american rda. I have the version 1 and love it. Top air flow so you don't have to worry about leakage. You can over juice this thing without worrying about leaking. I don't even have to count how many drops I put in it. Just dump some juice from the top and you are good to go. Great flavor also but produces good amount of vapor.

http://www.vapordna.com/Aeolus-V2-Pro-RDA-by-Syntheticloud-p/aev2pr.htm

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
this is a little more expansive than your $60 max range but the aeolus V2 is authentic american rda. I have the version 1 and love it.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've heard that one tossed around some but you're right it is a little out of the price range. If it weren't for the fact that I was able to find a great deal on another authentic I would definitely be considering it more strongly right now... There's always the next one!!

For this time I am going to go with the Twisted Messes. It's on MyFreedomSmokes for 49.99 and I've never ordered from there so I can get an additional 15% off. Based on the reviews I've seen I think this is a great deal for what it is and will work well for what I want. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it!!

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some good choices already in the Mutation X v3 and a Plume Veil (though you're probably looking clone at that price), as well as the Twisted Messes. One more I'll toss into the ring that I haven't used but seems to fit your specs: Infinite CLT.

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks so much everyone! I did pull the trigger on the Twisted Messes, so that's on the way (or will be soon) and I couldn't be more pleased. I really appreciate all the suggestions and advice. I have a feeling this will only be the first of many and the next time I want to get one, this thread will be a big help. Once I have one I really like (which after all the research, hopefully will be the TM) my stipulations can relax some, but unless/until things change, this is how I vape so I really appreciate everyone taking the time to think of things that fit my style.

Hopefully Monday/Tuesday!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That one looks like a nice piece. Congrats on the purchase. Keep us posted on how you like it. For direct lung hit vaping, nothing compares to a well set up and properly powered rda in my humble opinion.
In case you haven't decided what wire you're going to use yet, I would suggest starting with 24g kanthal. The combination of thickness and resistance per inch it offers seems to work out real well for rda builds. Just a thought. Good luck.

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That one looks like a nice piece. Congrats on the purchase. Keep us posted on how you like it. For direct lung hit vaping, nothing compares to a well set up and properly powered rda in my humble opinion.
In case you haven't decided what wire you're going to use yet, I would suggest starting with 24g kanthal. The combination of thickness and resistance per inch it offers seems to work out real well for rda builds. Just a thought. Good luck.

I got some 28g and 24g both to start :) I like a good deal of different resistances so from what I could tell, that should pretty much cover most of what I like for now... say anywhere in-between .4 and 1.5ohms. I will certainly keep you posted; I intend to do an actual review on it once I get it!

Thanks again!

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
It's here! I already have my first build on it, which is working most excellently. Just a simple, single .5ohm with 24g (5/4) but it's putting out well, reading exactly right (between .48-.51) and it's simply fantastic overall.

Thanks again for everyone who gave input in this thread. As I've already said, I'll definitely keep track of all of the suggestions since I can already tell this will only be my first of many RDAs. While I can't say for certain that every beginner would love this RDA as much as I do, it really does seem to be as close to perfect as I could get for my wants/needs. It was the right decision. I do think it's a nice starter RDA in general, though. Love the big post holes and easy-to-handle deck.

I do have one question that I'm sure someone will be able to help with. Everything is working just fine, as far as I can tell: the resistance is right, no hotspots, no hot legs, etc. However, after a few puffs I am starting to get a bit of a harsh sensation while the taste is still fine. Each time it has happened so far, the wick appears to still have enough juice for a couple more pulls but dripping more also seems to help, so maybe it's just drier than it looks? It's barely a problem. How many puffs do you normally get off your various RDAs, on average? I know this will change a lot based on build and other factors, but again I've got a pretty simple set up right now.

Arizona

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Plume Veil clone, hands down. It's a shade bit leaky, but if you want a mix of flavor and clouds, you really can't beat it. You'll be stuck with a clone at your price request, but its so worth it. I've got a clone, and its wicked beyond wicked.

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Plume Veil clone, hands down. It's a shade bit leaky, but if you want a mix of flavor and clouds, you really can't beat it. You'll be stuck with a clone at your price request, but its so worth it. I've got a clone, and its wicked beyond wicked.

I already went with and received a Twisted Messes. The Plume Veil is on my list for later; I'm still not certain I care to do clones.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I WISH I would have known what I do now, when i first started this. I would have saved SOOO much money

Here we gooo..

Spidersilk 9 wrap .41 ohm TI coil, inside a Subtank RBA+ deck, Trinity Copa Tip, Evic Joyetech VT box, and a new ADV called Hermetic Steam Magenta.....soo much win in this its not even funny...

57C8AA6E-94DF-4BC0-9848-BAE03F63CD8C-8379-000002A457636532_zps68vtnwxq.jpg

Arizona

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I already went with and received a Twisted Messes. The Plume Veil is on my list for later; I'm still not certain I care to do clones.
Right on.

I wasn't crazy about clones either, but prices for some authentic pieces is ridiculous. My brother machines parts, and laughs at how much some companies are charging us for such simple designs and machining.

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome @damndirtyvapes seems like your knowledgeable and in good hands. I personally like doges but they have the air holes yu mentioned you don't like. But let me tell you flavor and clouds are great! Price point is very good too!

damndirtyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Right on.

I wasn't crazy about clones either, but prices for some authentic pieces is ridiculous. My brother machines parts, and laughs at how much some companies are charging us for such simple designs and machining.

Yeah, I totally understand that. I guess I'm not completely opposed to clones, especially now that I have a basic set-up here that I won't have to buy all at once again (wick and wire etc.), not to mention an authentic RDA I'm already really enjoying. Even with the crazy low price, I didn't want to end up getting a not-so-great clone for my very first and end up having a bad experience because of it. I was also lucky to get the Twisted Messes for a reasonable price, only 42.99 when all was said and done. However, once it's time to get a second RDA, I'm not totally ruling out an inexpensive clone when that's all I'd be buying :) I know some clones really work quite well, and at least one or two (like the Lawless Steamboat) are evidently barely indistinguishable from the authentic... at least that's what I've heard!

Thank you CTFX! I actually did look at the Doge and the bigger dealbreaker was what seems to be a non-removable drip tip built into the top cap. Or does it come out? Either way, I would definitely consider one now that I have a solid RDA I like. I wouldn't really rule anything out for a second or third. My requirements in the OP were more for my very first RDA. Now that I've got it, they can be loosened up some :)

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It comes out bro ;)
Doge v2 and doge x v2 are my go to's!

Last edited:

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Velocity it has infinite adjustability and is the best rda out to date

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I may have to look into one of those @dre can you link me up in message?

VU Sponsors