Become a Patron!

Looking for a Vanilla Custard recipe

IPJuice

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, I have been trying and trying and trying to get my vanilla custard where I want it, I finally got something I liked but its 30% flavoring!! Anyone have a recipe that uses way less? Im looking for that real creamy, sweet, buttery custard we americans love.

Maxime

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hi, the link from Curly is really good, Cap Vanilla Custard and dulce de leche are part of most of the best custard recipes out there. if you get what's needed for that recipe you might be able to try other Cap VC based recipes. Look up for Grant's vanilla custard clone it is a simpler version of Curly's recipe.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, I have been trying and trying and trying to get my vanilla custard where I want it, I finally got something I liked but its 30% flavoring!! Anyone have a recipe that uses way less? Im looking for that real creamy, sweet, buttery custard we americans love.

There's a few vanilla custard recipes scattered through this thread, too:
http://vapingunderground.com/posts/540896/

Those that are complete are pretty high flavoring (not 30%, but up there) but you'll see some people are working on variations that might use less flavor or different than the standard flavors.

Also, not to sound like a shill, but if you're just hankering and want to get a quick DIY result, Mama J's sells a concentrate called Game Over Vanilla Custard which is truly rocking, as creamy vanilla custards go. It's 10 flavors combined and you use it just like any concentrate--at whatever percentage you like.

Raina

Member For 4 Years
You could just try reducing the percentages in the recipe you like. Chances are you really don't need 30% flavoring. Maybe cut it in half and see where that leaves you? You can always add more to it. Also, I've found that most of the flavors that make up a good custard require a looooong steep. I don't know how long you're letting your juice sit, but just keep that in mind. I keep bottles mixed up at 10-30% to use in recipes to reduce the steep time.

jazzyj

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been messing for over a year trying to find a good VC
and the mix iv stayed with contains no vanilla custard but I would say is very similar in taste,

Capella cake batter 5%
Capella vanilla bean 8%
DDL 1 drop per 10ml
EM 1 drop per 10ml
I tend to mix 48 hours before I run out and within that time it's good to go,
I leave my fresh mix in the windowsill for 24hours to steep,
My mix is in daylight but not direct sunlight
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436083583.652606.jpg
It goes from this ^^^^
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436083612.652270.jpg
To this in the 1st 24 hours,
Then it goes in my cupboard until I'm ready to use it,
Not sure if anyone else has tried similar but it works,

If anyone tries this mix let me know what you think??

It's also over 50% less concentrates than your using in the 1st post so hope it's strong enough for you lol,

Jeff

Disclaimer

This recipe may contain traces of the nasties were all hearing so much about recently so mix at your own risk,

Last edited:

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There's a few vanilla custard recipes scattered through this thread, too:
http://vapingunderground.com/posts/540896/

Those that are complete are pretty high flavoring (not 30%, but up there) but you'll see some people are working on variations that might use less flavor or different than the standard flavors.

Also, not to sound like a shill, but if you're just hankering and want to get a quick DIY result, Mama J's sells a concentrate called Game Over Vanilla Custard which is truly rocking, as creamy vanilla custards go. It's 10 flavors combined and you use it just like any concentrate--at whatever percentage you like.
I love Game over Custard. But it has more of a citrus note to it than vanilla (I'm assuming FA Custard is in the mix somewhere, knowing Will.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hi, the link from Curly is really good, Cap Vanilla Custard and dulce de leche are part of most of the best custard recipes out there. if you get what's needed for that recipe you might be able to try other Cap VC based recipes. Look up for Grant's vanilla custard clone it is a simpler version of Curly's recipe.
Have you tried mine? It's still in my rotation. I love the stuff!

jazzyj

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wow, it even changed the color of the cap on the bottle, that's some powerful stuff!!! :D

It's that good it even changed from a 30ml bottle to a 100ml bottle

That larger bottle in the 2nd photo was mixed 3 days ago,

Last edited:

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I love Game over Custard. But it has more of a citrus note to it than vanilla (I'm assuming FA Custard is in the mix somewhere, knowing Will.
But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it! It is a bit on the high side for flavor concentrate (5ml for$5 or 15ml for $10) but it's definitely worth it! VZ gourmet concentrate is like $9 for 10ml, so not the highest priced, compared to low cost concentrate like FW and TFA, quality is much better especially over FW. And it's Ten flavorings in one ready to mix, so even if you knew all ten flavorings it'd cost way more to replicate it. Mama J's is the only place to get the 15ml now, but BullCity has the 5ml and will soon have the 15ml

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am not getting citrus but will keep my nose open to the idea. My thought was anise. No reason it couldn't be all three, though--it does have 10 ingredients. Interesting. I'll definitely keep my nose open for citrus. I'm not the keenest bloodhound when it comes to this stuff, but hopefully my buds are continuing to return.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am not getting citrus but will keep my nose open to the idea. My thought was anise. No reason it couldn't be all three, though--it does have 10 ingredients. Interesting. I'll definitely keep my nose open for citrus. I'm not the keenest bloodhound when it comes to this stuff, but hopefully my buds are continuing to return.
Haha my uncle in law tried game over from my silverplay yesterday and said he tastes cherry! Idk man, must be like Bobas, everyone tastes something different! Regardless I like it! But I wouldn't say it's a VANILLA Custard, it's Custard just not vanilla imo.

IPJuice

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm waiting for my vanilla classic to get here. Idk if I have enough dulce or brown sugar tho. Might leave those out. Maybe use cap caramel in place of the dulce if I don't have enough

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Maxime

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cap caramel is going to make it really different from dulce de leche but you can try :)

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm waiting for my vanilla classic to get here. Idk if I have enough dulce or brown sugar tho. Might leave those out. Maybe use cap caramel in place of the dulce if I don't have enough

All I can say is you can try it that way. Those two flavors were added in "fine tuning" phase. You could always use what you have of those and try to get close to target percentage. DDL is vastly different than Cap caramel, and that brown sugar works very well in the recipe.
If you do use cap caramel, start Low. I found it to be a stronger flavor

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haha my uncle in law tried game over from my silverplay yesterday and said he tastes cherry! Idk man, must be like Bobas, everyone tastes something different! Regardless I like it! But I wouldn't say it's a VANILLA Custard, it's Custard just not vanilla imo.

Ok, maybe it's not vanilla-dominant (sounds like a special bondage term, lol) but there's definitely at least one caps vanilla flavor in there, to my nose, and pretty sure one is v. custard. Not a huge leap, I know. I've been sniffing it on and off all afternoon. I wonder if the person who said it tasted like cherries said that because it has flavors they associate with cherries--like brandy. Today I've decided there is definitely some sort of alcohol flavoring in it, maybe more than one. I think it's brandy, but I don't have brandy flavoring, have never smelled it. I do know what the real thing smells like, though. Also, I'm thinking caramel or brown sugar and maybe rum.

-GR-

Member For 4 Years
I have been messing with doing a custard now for a while and I have come to the conclusion I can't use FA Custard or FA Catalan Cream the slightest bit since I get the lemon zest from them. I would love for FA to do an American type custard without the lemon.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been messing with doing a custard now for a while and I have come to the conclusion I can't use FA Custard or FA Catalan Cream the slightest bit since I get the lemon zest from them. I would love for FA to do an American type custard without the lemon.
It's all about the cap Custard...

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good stuff man! Are you a natural or heat steeper?
I do mine natural, two weeks is the sweet spot although I like shake and vape to.
If you do heat other members have had great results, check comments to see how long/temp

IPJuice

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do ultrasonic cleaner on custards

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do ultrasonic cleaner on custards

Then I'd imagine you know what your doing ;) please comment on the recipe thread and let others know what you think. Be honest, I realize taste is subjective, but many seem to love this recipe

IPJuice

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Si, I've been mixing almost a year

IPJuice

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got into FA tho. HIC INSPIRED ME lol

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like a little vanilla bean ice cream in my custards as well so im gonna drop the custard down to 10% and add 2% vbic

That'd probably add a nice touch. A bit more cream and a bit more vanilla, sounds good to me

Bryon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try
Holy Vanilla (diyflavourshack) 4%
Catalina Cream (FA) 2%
Vanilla Custard V2 (Cap) 4%

And cream yourself

IPJuice

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I got the vanilla custard down. Now trying to perfect my strawberry base. Want a strong strawberry flavor. Basically with using FA, Cap, and TFA strawberry

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Want a strong strawberry flavor. Basically with using FA, Cap, and TFA strawberry

I recommend if you haven't already...
Vape each strawberry flavor at standalone to try and familiarize yourself with how each one appeals to you and then determine which one offers the "strong" flavor you are seeking for.

Next, determine which percentages to use to build your strawberry base.
I would break it down like this and start with this as a test...
Hope this helps and if you find that perfect combination, please share!

Cap Strawberry 3%
TFA Strawberry 3%
FA Strawberry 1.5%
TFA Strawberries & Cream 1.5% (optional)

Steamin Demon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recommend if you haven't already...
Vape each strawberry flavor at standalone to try and familiarize yourself with how each one appeals to you and then determine which one offers the "strong" flavor you are seeking for.

Next, determine which percentages to use to build your strawberry base.
I would break it down like this and start with this as a test...
Hope this helps and if you find that perfect combination, please share!

Cap Strawberry 3%
TFA Strawberry 3%
FA Strawberry 1.5%
TFA Strawberries & Cream 1.5% (optional)
And maybe a touch of FA Raspberry. Really makes it pop.

IPJuice

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
BTW my tfa strawberry is the Organic Strawberry. I have Capella strawberries and cream but not TFA. Also I never thought of raspberry, what percentage 0.5%? I added 0.5% fa pear it added some sweetness and made it pop a little bit

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have not worked with the Cap Strawberries & Cream but I am sure that it will be just as good or better than the TFA so yeah, test all the possibilities out. You can always try the "drops" method that is regularly talked about.

VU Sponsors