Become a Patron!

Looking for insight - Melon Milk

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Howdy all,

Went playing in the lab a couple days ago when a small batch of flavorings came in. Excited, I whipped up a little something - then played with it, then played with it some more. I feel like I'm on the verge of a tasty vape, but I can't pin-point where I should go - flavor wise - or if I should scrap a key ingredient. You'll see, here's the recipe so far.

(updated 15JAN)
2.5% - Flavorah Wild Melon
2% - TFA Watermelon
2% - FlavourArt Cantaloupe
1.5% - FavourArt Vanilla Bourbon
2.0% - Flavorah Milk & Honey
0.5% - FlavourArt Fresh Cream

It's tasty, it's creamy, but there's a certain... tartness, something ... okay, let's quit beating around the bush, it's the Milk & Honey. I want to like it, I want to like the creaminess and that sweetness that kind of clings to the roof of your mouth, the honey. But I'm having a tough time filling the recipe out.

I'd love any and all feedback, there's a lot I've got and a lot I've... not. Hoping that I can get something dang-near ADV out of this. I enjoy dripping it, for a few minutes. I enjoy it in a tank... for about half the tank or so. Grr.

Here's some additional notes copied from my tablet during testing, in case anyone was interested in seeing how I got to where the above is now.

---

Original idea was Wild Melon and Milk & Honey. Three percent each. That's where I got the combo idea from, both of those having come in the same shipment. Feeling like it needed something more in the melon area, to help drown out the punchiness of the Honey, I brought in TFA Watermelon (the only other melon I have, besides TFA Honey Dew Melon, but that and FLV Wild Melon are pretty similar) at 1%.

I did not get very much difference in anything, so I brought it up to 2, dropped the wild melon and m&h down a half percent to make way for fresh cream at .5%.

Felt like it could use something hearty in the sweet area, not just a sharp "sweet" accent. So I threw Vanilla Bourbon at it (I throw Vanilla Bourbon at everything, it's my God flavor) and yeah, that seemed to make it a little more sturdy, a little more defined. It also cooled out the Milk & Honey's harsher tones.

---

Now, I kinda feel like I'm stuck in a crossroad. Do I want to lower the Milk & Honey and lose the whole point of adding Milk & Honey to it (at any lower percentage, I have a feeling the high notes of melon along with the creamy-notes of Vanilla B. and Fresh Cream are just going to smother it out of noticeability), is there something else I can add to it that would dull the thick notes?

I was also thinking of adding a very small amount of other fruits to it to see if that did anything. Say half a percent of Lemon Sicily, or Mandarine even.

After a couple days steeping, the Milk & Honey does calm down a little, and the notes are much more noticeable when dripping versus in a tank. It's still a good vape (if'n I do say so myself) and I think I'll continue to make it into my rotation - but I feel like it's inches away from perfection.

Anyways, thank you for taking the time to read my head-barf, an unfettered stream of consciousness that's been edited enough to not make me sound (too much) like a loon. Appreciated!

---

edited on Jan 15th - Adding 2% FA Cantaloupe hit the spot, and dropped Milk & Honey by half a percent - perfect. Added to the recipe up above. Also, do not add FA Condensed Milk. It ruins it. Ech.

Last edited:

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Where do you get Flavorah?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nicotine River has started to sell Flavorah, not a massive selection right now, but more to come. Very good prices, 60ml starting at $10.20.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It sounds like it would work pretty well in there, so thank you - just in time, too, I had a little purchase at BCV all lined up and ready, added on a little bottle of FA Cantaloupe to it at the last minute. That's kind of exciting, I think it'll work.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice, I have marshmallow. TFA, anyway - dunno if anyone else makes it, but I got that. I'll give it a shot when the Cantaloupe comes in and I play around with it a bit - unless I get around to it beforehand that is. Thanks!

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
burley. After reading this I remembered that I posted a melon recipe that might be of some help. Then I looked through the seemingly countless bottle of almost empty bottles and found some I made back on 11/27/15 and loaded up the last 3-4mils. I like it and I hope this helps you. http://www.vapingunderground.com/threads/melon-balls-in-coconut-milk.123550/
Oooh, nice. Thanks! I may have to whip up a bottle and see how it rolls. I'm on kind of a melon, fruit-kick lately, and coconut sounds like it would pair pretty well. Much appreciated.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oooh, nice. Thanks! I may have to whip up a bottle and see how it rolls. I'm on kind of a melon, fruit-kick lately, and coconut sounds like it would pair pretty well. Much appreciated.
Sometimes it helps to have a different perspective on things. Just like when you opened my eyes with a simple FA fresh cream and vanilla base for fruits. I now have several ADVs using 2% fresh cream and the appropriate FA vanilla @.5% and whatever fruit I'm in the mood for. Thanks again. http://www.vapingunderground.com/threads/help-using-fa-fresh-cream-t-does.166709/#post-859211

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I remember that thread - I'm vaping on blueberry, a smidge of billberry, vanilla bourbon and fresh cream right now haha. Vanilla + Fresh Cream + just about any fruit is a winner-winner, and I think at least a few of those combos are going to be long-time rotation ADV flavors. Simple, elegant, delicious.

VU Sponsors