Become a Patron!

Looking for opinions

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I'm analog free now for about three weeks. I started off with a V/V smok winder starter kit 6 months ago, and have since purchased a few 2400 mah V/V twists. I have three tanks I switch between, an aerotank, a protank 2, and a nautilus mini (my most recent purchase). Hate the protank 2, as its like trying to suck a Frosty through a coffee stirrer.

Anyways, I'm looking to upgrade my gear. Not quite ready to go mech yet, wanna learn to walk before I try to run. I'm looking at the Eleaf Istick. I love what it's listed as able to do, and I love the price point. Many of the links I've found here have been Vendor reviews though, so I'm looking for opinions that don't stand to make a buck off their input.

Pro's, con's, and potential alternate suggestions that are close to the same price point would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

D.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have yet to meet anyone that is unhappy with theirs. I know a LOT of vapers of all stripes, and it seems that the iStick/Nautilus combo is widely loved. I should imagine that the new Atlantis would be smashing atop the iStick.

Last edited:

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's a nice little device. What it is able to do is dependent on the resistance of your coils. For example to actually achieve 20w you need to have a resistance between 1 to 1.5 ohms. Any thing higher will limit the watts you can reach. Not an issue for me but something to be aware of. There have been some issues with the 510 threading not holding up for some. Mine is still doing fine. As you may have heard, due to the way the chip is programmed it does hit pretty hard at the lower settings. If you regularly vape at 4.1 volts or higher with the twist you'll be fine. First time use with an atty I would suggest turning it all the way down and working up from there. It is a nice form factor and size and battery life is pretty decent.
http://www.steam-engine.org/modrange.asp
Select Eleaf Istick from the APV preset menu.

Last edited:

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The iStick... as franciscan mentioned is very well received by many vapers.... it however won't fire a coil below 1.0Ω so the Atlantis is out of the question since it uses 0.5Ω coils ( it's a sub-ohm tank only at this time )

To find the negative issues... you have to get really nit picky about it and to discuss those you have to go into technical details a bit, something some people dislike.

One ( and two )... it uses PWM ( pulse width modulation ) output... This just means that it turns on/off really fast ( at a 48hz frequency ) to achieve it's output values. The DNA and ChDNA mods use a pure DC output. The method to calculate it's output was also done incorrectly, it uses average output instead of RMS output... This just means that the setting you have it set to will seem higher than an equivalant DC output would seem. This really isn't a problem because you should set the output to how you like the vape to taste/feel to you anyway... so that is an almost irrelevant negative that most vapers can ignore.

Another minor issue is the amperage limitations it has... again most vapers won't need more so it probably won't apply. To get the full 20w of output... you need to use a 1.4Ω coil. Any lower or higher ohm will limit you to using less than the 20w... Using the lowest or highest ohm coil it supports could limit you to only having 14w output at max.

None of the above limitations, if you don't need more power, will make you like or dislike it... they are just aspects that need to be considered.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The iStick... as franciscan mentioned is very well received by many vapers.... it however won't fire a coil below 1.0Ω so the Atlantis is out of the question since it uses 0.5Ω coils ( it's a sub-ohm tank only at this time )

To find the negative issues... you have to get really nit picky about it and to discuss those you have to go into technical details a bit, something some people dislike.

One ( and two )... it uses PWM ( pulse width modulation ) output... This just means that it turns on/off really fast ( at a 48hz frequency ) to achieve it's output values. The DNA and ChDNA mods use a pure DC output. The method to calculate it's output was also done incorrectly, it uses average output instead of RMS output... This just means that the setting you have it set to will seem higher than an equivalant DC output would seem. This really isn't a problem because you should set the output to how you like the vape to taste/feel to you anyway... so that is an almost irrelevant negative that most vapers can ignore.

Another minor issue is the amperage limitations it has... again most vapers won't need more so it probably won't apply. To get the full 20w of output... you need to use a 1.4Ω coil. Any lower or higher ohm will limit you to using less than the 20w... Using the lowest or highest ohm coil it supports could limit you to only having 14w output at max.

None of the above limitations, if you don't need more power, will make you like or dislike it... they are just aspects that need to be considered.
aqfMft1.gif

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think the Atlantis Is too low ohm for the Eleaf Istick

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I think the Atlantis Is too low ohm for the Eleaf Istick
It is...I was made aware of that just now. That leaves things like the Nautilus, Aerotanks...non sub ohm drippers.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
While I do not own one myself, there are a lot of people that really love them.

IMHO these are a great way to get into VW at a good price.

As far as the PT2 is concerned, you can always get the $5 base adapter which allows you to turn up the airflow.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Amazing how quickly you folks respond. Thanks for the input! Any alternate gear to consider?

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As far as the PT2 is concerned, you can always get the $5 base adapter which allows you to turn up the airflow.

I see that, but as far as I can tell I'm still stuck using the single coils, right? Or is there an adapter out there that will add airflow and allow me to use duals in the PT2? At this point it's on a box on my desk as an emergency tank. Thanks, brother.

D.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't have an iStick yet but I do have two MVP 2s. Since the MVP 3 is expected out soon, I'm guessing there will be a lot of clearance sales for the MVP 2 at that time, so it might be worth the wait and see. I have had one of my MVPs for over a year now and it still works like a charm although I did have to replace the o-ring over the pin.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Amazing how quickly you folks respond. Thanks for the input! Any alternate gear to consider?

Since you mentioned possibly using the Atlantis, you might want to keep an eye for the new IPV Mini which is 30W, 22mm diameter, can accomodate sub ohm builds down to .3 or .5 (my memory is a little janky), it uses a Yihi chip with buck/boost, flat DC signal, and a 18650 battery.

This one is priced higher than the iStick, but its not outrageous. It should be hitting shelves within the next 2 weeks or so, and even then you may want to hold out for a few reviews first to make sure that it is up to snuff, but it looks promising. :)

If you don't want to wait, then there is always one of the Hana/Cana DNA 30 box's .. The Cloupor Cana, or the KSD Hanna that Focalecig.com sells would be a good choice if you were interested in going that route.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
But you actually suggested the Cana first :p .. saw that after I posted ;-) So you are as smart, and clearly a little faster than me :D
FASTER????
Whatever oh deadly one!

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks everyone for the input. Bought my istick today.

I have yet to meet anyone that is unhappy with theirs. I know a LOT of vapers of all stripes, and it seems that the iStick/Nautilus combo is widely loved. I should imagine that the new Atlantis would be smashing atop the iStick.
the Istick will not fire below 1Ω

VU Sponsors