Become a Patron!

Looking for some Suggestions

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've come to the conclusion that the stainless steel in the description of Smok V8 x4 and Q2 coils has nothing to do with the wire. For some reason I'm burning these things up like toast and have decided I've pissed off enough money in the last month and it's time to get an RBA or RDTA and start building my own coils.

Right now my go to mods are a couple of Smok G150s both with Big Baby Beats on them. I have no intentions of replacing either of them anytime soon. My back up is a V8 stick with a Big Baby on it to. The G150s are all am am looking at upgrading. Some looking around online and I found out that the RBA kit for the Baby Beast doesn't have glass for the Big Baby. So I have scratched that off my list and am looking at other options.

I've looked at the Aromamizer Plus RDTA. It seems to have mostly positive reviews from what I've read. Looks like a little shopping and I can pick them up for $30 to $35 each. Would like to the tanks to be in the 5ml range maybe 7.

I've also been looking at getting a Coil Master Kit. I really don't care v2 or v3. Will probably be a v2 because they are pretty cheap. Not locked into that brand just happens to be what consistently comes up when Googling. Since I've never built a coil I don't see where version number is going to matter much. Im also considering just scrapping this part if it altogether and sourcing some tools from my shop and only buying a Coil Master ohm meter. I figure allen wrenches can be used for wrapping dies. Tweezers are tweezers. I have a good selection of pliers, various needle noses, and screw drivers. I really don't see anything in one of those kits I don't already have something similar to with the exception of the ohm meter to screw the deck into with a fire button. Although I do have a standard ohm meter and a multi meter.

I thinking stainless wire but am open to suggestions not involving kanthal. I'm looking to use the TC on these mods instead or wattage. Open to suggestions on wicking. Not really fond of the taste of singed cotton right now. With what I'm been reading I was thinking maybe rayon. I'm been reading not much flavor distraction with it.

I sold one of the Harley seats I had in my bike building today and it gives me around $100 to spend on this right now to do both G150s $150 tops. I figure that all the Big babys will get moved to the shelf in my office and can be used as spares for the V8 Stick.

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I had the same issues with the Smok tanks...all of them. I got so pissed off at the rate at which I was burning coils and the leakage in the v8 I ended up smashing it off the wall. I asked for suggestions here for rdas and ended up buying a twisted messes Friday and I absolutely love it! It was easy for me to put the coils in and wick. I also have a Limitless RDTA and the Limitless Plus RDTA. I love them and use them daily. Never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Also, I purchased a coil building kit from gearbest made by LTQ Vapor. It's basic but has all the tools I need. And it was half the price of the coil master kits. Just a suggestion.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rayon gives pretty clean flavor. But, while the flavor of dry-hit cotton is unpleasant, the flavor of dry hit rayon will ruin your day.

If you have a coil tab, that is probably good enough. The ones with a fire feature are nice to have. But they really can only fire simpler builds.

I would get a coil mandrel like this:
66b9af02a54d98531061140b19ae0359.jpg

And would actually get 2 of them. Very cheap.

Ceramic tweezers are incredibly nice to have. Can manipulate coils while firing.

SS is definitely my wire of choice. However, it becomes hard to keep the resistance up with SS wire. Super low resistance. So a lot of my beefier coils are kanthal. I personally would not vape nickel or titanium due to possible health risks.

I would also get an inexpensive rda to learn to build on. Seriously. Everybody thinks dripping is a PITA. Until they have trouble with their tank leaking or dry hitting due to inexperience in wicking. RDAs wicking is foolproof. Can eliminate one variable while you are perfecting your wire coiling skills. Get that right, then deal with touchy wicking. Tanks can be finicky with wicking. Especially to a building newbie.

Good luck with your building. Second best thing you can do for vaping. Right after diy juice. Makes you realize mass produced coilheads and commercial juice suck.

Last edited:

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow that looks sweet! If you get it let me know how it works out.

Will do. Probably going to get one in gun metal and one in gold but both could end up gun metal.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rayon gives pretty clean flavor. But, while the flavor of dry-hit cotton is unpleasant, the flavor of dry hit rayon will ruin your day.

If you have a coil tab, that is probably good enough. The ones with a fire feature are nice to have. But they really can only fire simpler builds.

Ceramic tweezers are incredibly nice to have. Can manipulate coils while firing.

SS is definitely my wire of choice. However, it becomes hard to keep the resistance up with SS wire. Super low resistance. So a lot of my beefier coils are kanthal. I personally would not vape nickel or titanium due to possible health risks.

I would also get an inexpensive rda to learn to build on. Seriously. Everybody thinks dripping is a PITA. Until they have trouble with their tank leaking or dry hitting due to inexperience in wicking. RDAs wicking is foolproof. Can eliminate one variable while you are perfecting your wire coiling skills. Get that right, then deal with touchy wicking. Tanks can be finicky with wicking. Especially to a building newbie.

Good luck with your building. Second best thing you can do for vaping. Right after diy juice. Makes you realize mass produced coilheads and commercial juice suck.

I kind of figured that the firing button like most of what else I see in the kits is a little over the top. I figured the ceramic tweezers would come in handy.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I kind of figured that the firing button like most of what else I see in the kits is a little over the top. I figured the ceramic tweezers would come in handy.

Nice to have a fire button. Not an absolute neccessity. I have one.

Ceramic tweezers can be had for like $3. Get 'em.

If you want to venture into clapton coils and variants, start with 36gauge wrap wire. Bigger wire is inefficient and smaller wire is tough to work with until experienced.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you are ready to start building, make your way to the "post your builds" thread. Lots of great builders, tons of crazy builds, but mostly guys that want to help others build better coils.

No need to be intimidated. Everybody there started with simple coils.

Great place to pick up tips. Post your first coils there!

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When you are ready to start building, make your way to the "post your builds" thread. Lots of great builders, tons of crazy builds, but mostly guys that want to help others build better coils.

No need to be intimidated. Everybody there started with simple coils.

Great place to pick up tips. Post your first coils there!

Will do

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah the SMOK coils have stainless bodies, but use kanthol wire. Stupid marketing. Never had issues with them, myself, but a lot of people have. There is an rba for the Big Baby that comes with the proper glass. But as suggested above, an RDA is best for learning to build, if for no other reason than it's simplicity. No tank to disassemble every time you feel like admiring your handsome homemade coils.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My wife is sending off the seat tomorrow. So I should get the money to fund this little project sometime next week. I decided I'm going with the Maganus Cloud Blaster. I like the no leak design. Looking at the way the top airflow is designed it seams to me it out to eliminate spitting to.

Been on kbeevapes doing a little looking. Thinking other than some starter wire and cotton I'm probably going to get some clapton off there as well.

Last edited:

The Huntress

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Also, I purchased a coil building kit from gearbest made by LTQ Vapor. It's basic but has all the tools I need. And it was half the price of the coil master kits. Just a suggestion.

Hi, I too am livid over the amount of cash I'm having to put into the Smok coils for the BBB and I have decided to make the jump to coil building. I was looking at gearbeast and they have great prices, but do they ship from china? And if you don't mind how long did your order take to arrive? Thanks!
Flave

The Huntress

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years

Thank you for this awesome advice. No titanium or Nickle, got it. I'm thinking of starting with the Merlin and honestly I just ordered some pre wrapped coils to get my feet wet and learn to wick. I feel that after I am confident with installing the pre wrapped coils and wicking, I will start to wrap my own wire.
Flave

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi, I too am livid over the amount of cash I'm having to put into the Smok coils for the BBB and I have decided to make the jump to coil building. I was looking at gearbeast and they have great prices, but do they ship from china? And if you don't mind how long did your order take to arrive? Thanks!
Flave

The kit I ordered came from China and it took 2.5 weeks to arrive. It was worth the wait for me because I didn't need it right away. It should say on the product page if it is in the China or USA warehouse. It takes a while from China but prices are better.

Lisa vapes

Member For 2 Years
I too am frustrated on the short lifespan of the smok coils. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The Huntress

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
I too am frustrated on the short lifespan of the smok coils. I thought I was doing something wrong.

I thought so too! I'm a newbie, about to hit 30 days and I go through a lot of liquid in three separate Smok tanks(2 BBB and one Spirals). I'm changing a damn coil every 2/3 days in one of them and Ive had enough. I want to spend my money on liquids because I'm searching for my allusive ADV and, well, that's pricey.
I've dropped over 500 in the last 30 days, that's a few hundred more than when I was smoking! :xD:
I've decided to invest in a couple of good RDA's and a really good RBTA and really learn how to do the coils to my liking. I'm hoping that I won't be spending 20/30 or more a week on coils after the initial investment of the RDAs and tools.
You are not alone.

The Huntress

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
The kit I ordered came from China and it took 2.5 weeks to arrive. It was worth the wait for me because I didn't need it right away. It should say on the product page if it is in the China or USA warehouse. It takes a while from China but prices are better.

Thank you. I'm not in a high hurry and their prices are really good. So I think I will place my order with them.

Lisa vapes

Member For 2 Years
I thought so too! I'm a newbie, about to hit 30 days and I go through a lot of liquid in three separate Smok tanks(2 BBB and one Spirals). I'm changing a damn coil every 2/3 days in one of them and Ive had enough. I want to spend my money on liquids because I'm searching for my allusive ADV and, well, that's pricey.
I've dropped over 500 in the last 30 days, that's a few hundred more than when I was smoking! :xD:
I've decided to invest in a couple of good RDA's and a really good RBTA and really learn how to do the coils to my liking. I'm hoping that I won't be spending 20/30 or more a week on coils after the initial investment of the RDAs and tools.
You are not alone.
Best wishes for finding a solution...ill be watching for your victory post, and expecting details...

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Baby Beast (and BBB) coils don't seem to wick fast enough to keep from burning. Take a pin and make two punctures in the cotton on each juice flow hole. Helps wick quickly and mine last a while. Works for tfv12 coils too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Edit- pic for reference.

b64f1366edc3029ff8f0063d7756737a.jpg

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've tried the pin hole thing. Just seemed to make the things slit more. Didn't help with coil life or the bottom airflow leaking issues. Those will flat piss you off at 4:30am when driving an hour to work in the dark. Nothing like having to pull over to clean a smok leak mess off your hands and mod.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am going to get 1 of the Maganus Cloud Blasters to go on one G150. I've been looking at an OSB Engine 25mm to go on the other one.

Kind of thinking no since in putting all the eggs in one basket. Might as well have 2 different goodies to work with.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I've been looking on gearbest but am looking at other places as well. I will pay a few dollars more to go ahead and get a solution quicker than waiting on an international delivery.

Last edited:

The Huntress

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Best wishes for finding a solution...ill be watching for your victory post, and expecting details...

And I will provide those details. I actually changed my name for this quest. I'm determined and when I get ahold Of something I'm like a damn dog with a bone,lol.
I will find the BEST(for me) damn Tobacco Vape there is. I might go through 20 different tanks, 20 different RDAs, 20 devices but I will do it.
I might record my journey too, hmmm
I'm a disabled Vet and I need a project. I think I have found it.
Huntress

Lisa vapes

Member For 2 Years
And I will provide those details. I actually changed my name for this quest. I'm determined and when I get ahold Of something I'm like a damn dog with a bone,lol.
I will find the BEST(for me) damn Tobacco Vape there is. I might go through 20 different tanks, 20 different RDAs, 20 devices but I will do it.
I might record my journey too, hmmm
I'm a disabled Vet and I need a project. I think I have found it.
Huntress
Love it!

VU Sponsors