Become a Patron!

Looking for suggestions on the newer box devices out there

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Right so my two work horses are showing their age. I have a Sigelli 100w box and a Sigelli 150w box. Both are variable wattage. I typically vape based on power and rarely over 35w. I prefer RTAs and RDAs as far as atomizers go (cotton and wire are far cheaper than those pre-built coils). I typically build with Kanthal--I doubt using nicrome or nickle would aggravate my contact allergies but I prefer to not build with those. I also have no experience at all with temperature control vaping--I have always made adjustments based on the taste of my juice, and have no experience building with stainless steel wire either.

What I'm looking for is a workhorse mod that can stand up to years of being in my pocket in a busy kitchen. (I'm a chef.) It definitely needs variable wattage and the ability to fire coils with a minimum resistance of 0.2Ω.

Also don't bother suggesting the Aegis, while I like the form, it takes a weird battery. I'm mostly looking for one that uses one, preferably two 18650 IMR batts. I have a couple dozen of those in rotation.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Right so my two work horses are showing their age. I have a Sigelli 100w box and a Sigelli 150w box. Both are variable wattage. I typically vape based on power and rarely over 35w. I prefer RTAs and RDAs as far as atomizers go (cotton and wire are far cheaper than those pre-built coils). I typically build with Kanthal--I doubt using nicrome or nickle would aggravate my contact allergies but I prefer to not build with those. I also have no experience at all with temperature control vaping--I have always made adjustments based on the taste of my juice, and have no experience building with stainless steel wire either.

What I'm looking for is a workhorse mod that can stand up to years of being in my pocket in a busy kitchen. (I'm a chef.) It definitely needs variable wattage and the ability to fire coils with a minimum resistance of 0.2Ω.

Also don't bother suggesting the Aegis, while I like the form, it takes a weird battery. I'm mostly looking for one that uses one, preferably two 18650 IMR batts. I have a couple dozen of those in rotation.
Depends on how much money you want to spend regarding a mod. Personally I like the Yihi and DNA chipped mods. Haven't has one break since the first batch of DNA 30's released years ago.

There are cheap mods, like Smok, which are kinda junk based on my past experiences, and others complaining too.

The asmodus is a good sturdy long lasting mod as well. I've been using everyday for almost two years?...could be wrong about how long I've had it, but it's been a good while. I really like the chip in the Miniken, seems to be really battery friendly. Using the Minikin v2, the batteries last much longer than other china products, like Smok.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Dale's advice is great

If you are budget conscious, the double-battery Picos by eLeaf are also a popular choice and seem to last. While I don't own one, my old iSticks I bought two years ago are still hauled to work daily for use with an RTA. The BattleStar by Smoant is another double battery workhorse that won't break the bank.

Would definitely avoid Smok branded stuff - I see too many complaints and have never owned one

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I second the Battlestar by Smoant. I've been using mine daily for almost 9 months and it's been fantastic. The Charon has also been a great mod. They have a new one out the Cylon. I think I will be ordering that one in the coming months.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Well budget wise I'm willing to spend upto around 200USD (not including Shipping and handling) for a mod. But I'm looking more in the 70-150 USD range really. I'm after quality. In my book a cheap mod that breaks in a few months is more expensive than an expensive mod that lasts or years.

I DIY liquid and almost exclusively use DIY liquid (not saying I won't buy commercial juice but I usually don't, last time I did I threw some in in an order only to get free shipping, honestly for what it is the stuff is too damn expensive) and exclusively use RDAs/RTAs and wire is usually cheap unless you want something fancy (around 90% of my builds are round wire, kanthal), and I never bought into the idea that "premium" cotton is better than any other so my software expenses are miniscule.

As for SMOK, their QC isn't the best. I've had really great products from them (Attys) and not so great ones.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Something that looks like it would stand up to being in and out of pockets, the squid double barrel 2.1. 150w mod, the fire button also sets the wattage and locks it. Very small screen on top, roughly the size of a couple 18650's. It's around $90. No tc or anything like the dna/yihi but if you're using kanthal then temp control (or lack of) doesn't matter. Handles up to 24mm atties without overhang and fires down to .1 so should suffice there.

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
That Squid Double Barrel v2.1 looks pretty sharp. I'm going to check out some reviews for it, at around 90 bucks it hits the budget target nicely. Yeah the lack of temp control doesn't bother me. Having it on a mod wouldn't bother me, so what may be a con for some people is a pro for me. None of my other mods have temp control anyway (but they are pretty old).

I'm also looking at the Smoant Battlestar.

In other news I've heard some good things about the Voopoo drag. Only problem is I can't get over the name, it reminds me of voop which we all know what that is--who named that company a four year old? Or is it one of those things like a Chinese company named "Wang". As in they have no idea what that sounds like to an native English speaker.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
In other news I've heard some good things about the Voopoo drag

I have one and it does function perfectly - a very solid mod.

Ugly as sin with an unfortunate name, lol. Though some of the newer models are a little more handsome :cool:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok im going to say this why VW why not VV or PWM

either get a hexohm 3 for VV or have someone build you a custom PWM mod now the finish may not last for years, but the electronics should. Both are simple devices just turn a knob to adjust the power. you can get custom pwm mods with leds to read battery voltage and resistance if you choose. Or you can build you own for like under $100 in parts usually
and most of these devices now have low voltage cutoff, reverse battery protection and possibly 1 or 2 more protections built into the chipset.

If you want to have more of the regulated vw mod though has you considered a hohm wrecker this gives you teh FSK chipset which lets you try TC on kanthal even

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
ok im going to say this why VW why not VV or PWM

I have an answer for you. Maybe not a great answer, but an answer none the less; I'm used to vaping according to power. If I mix up a juice I know well, I know exactly what power setting I want to vape it at depending on my build. While I'm constantly experimenting with new juices (and I've made great juice and I've made some really retched concoctions) I like to know what to expect from standbys that I've developed over the years.

I do have some really old VV eGos from way back in the day and an Inokin MVP V1.0 I think. I bought it in 2013 or early 2014. I used it to charge up my phone during hurricane Irma last year, and after all my batteries died while the power was out I eventually used it to vape on as I had some cartomizers to use with it. Those are of course backups. During that hurricane my juice journals went with the papers for the house, insurance and all those "vital documents" since the hobby aspect for me comes from mixing juice.

I don't know what PWM stands for so...yeah never even entered my consciousness.

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That Squid Double Barrel v2.1 looks pretty sharp. I'm going to check out some reviews for it, at around 90 bucks it hits the budget target nicely. Yeah the lack of temp control doesn't bother me. Having it on a mod wouldn't bother me, so what may be a con for some people is a pro for me. None of my other mods have temp control anyway (but they are pretty old).

I'm also looking at the Smoant Battlestar.

In other news I've heard some good things about the Voopoo drag. Only problem is I can't get over the name, it reminds me of voop which we all know what that is--who named that company a four year old? Or is it one of those things like a Chinese company named "Wang". As in they have no idea what that sounds like to an native English speaker.

Vapewild has the Double Barrel for $80 shipped and the the Drag for around $50-55 shipped. I realize they aren't the most popular company, but I've had nothing but stellar customer service from them. Plus a love sweet juice and they seem to specialize in that area.

I've owned a resign Drag for about 4 months now and absolutely love it. I'm considering picking up a second one just in case anything happens to my current one; I love it that much lol. It's appearance is polarizing, but if you like the way it looks and don't need a super ergonomic mod then it's the best option in its price range.

I've been considering grabbing a Double Barrel 2.1 though. Those things just look flat-out sexy. Squid is coming out with a 21700 version soon (maybe a 20700?) too.

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't know why the resin Voopoo Drag's appearance would be polarizing. The company's name....yeah I would understand. Actually based on pictures that device looks exactly like what I expect a box mod to be. A box one puts batteries into and uses to vape. But then again I typically buy black or stainless so getting a colored mod would be different for me. I might have to buy new drip tips to match it up, and I have found that I like friction fit tips over other kinds (and I won't use metal tips at all--to me it makes the vape taste like metal..yeah I'm weird like that). What I'm after is performance and being able to stand up to almost daily use by a heavy vaper who has a tendency to keep his mod in his pocket. Apart from that ergonomics plays a role but otherwise, I'm not overly concerned about cosmetics.

But that is of course me. I'm sure there are some people out there who care more about how a mod looks than it performs. And I'm seriously considering getting one, or the Battlestar.

As for the Double Barrel--yeah I'm definitely getting one. Probably on my next check...I have bills coming due so it won't be immediately. Simply put the Double Barrel checks all of my boxes (and looks sexy as a bonus).

Then again, I'm more polarized on the issue of drip tips. I don't care much for short drip tips. One of the reasons I switched out the tip my griffin came with for one of my own is because I felt it was too short and I don't like my lips to touch any part the atomizer itself.

Yeah...I'm a weirdo.

Last edited:

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A lot of people don't like the huge "DRAG" laser engraved on its side. I guess they are afraid people will think that "DRAG" is their hobby instead of vaping? lol

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
A lot of people don't like the huge "DRAG" laser engraved on its side. I guess they are afraid people will think that "DRAG" is their hobby instead of vaping? lol

LOL...yeah I suppose that might turn some folks off. Doesn't bother me a bit though. As for "DRAG" being a hobby...in the words of RuPaul "We're all born naked, everything else is drag."

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I got the full gunmetal drag, because I hated the resin edition. Looks amazing and even tho the logo is etched into the door, in comparison to the resin edition its the same color lol. Looks more like the the old tins with menthols you found back in the day, this light beveled 3d lettering. Anyways, from far away you won't see it, up close or holding it youll see and feel it, but you can get sleeves and stickers/wraps for it if the logo is so bothersome.

I own also the hohm wrecker g2 sadly not available anymore, both of these mods are my daily go to.

IMG_20171215_132226.jpg

Last edited:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I got a couple of stickers from FT for about $3 each. They're made to cover both the panels and the sides, but I just used it to cover up the DRAG. It's been on there for about 4 months and it hasn't moved or degraded at all. Drag cover.jpg

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh i like the look of the laser engraving, it's never bothered me at all. Plus that side of the mod is already starting to fade/scratch from all the rough use it has seen. I bet it won't be recognizable in a few more months lol. (I've been very rough with the mod; it's not like Smok's paint that flakes off with a light breeze). That's another reason I'm considering buying a second one, to keep it in better shape.

eStorm, those are killer looking too. I've been torn between the gunmetal or the turquoise-resin version.

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
That's it. I think I know what I'm getting. I'm going to get the Drag. For the price point it is fairly cheap and seems to hold up for most people. Also having a resin pannel with lots of pretty colors would be different. Also MFS has them at around 55 bucks. I need to buy a liter of nicotine anyway (I try to buy a liter of that once a month or every two months--my vapepocalypse supplies.)

I'm not concerned about the "Drag" panel.

I'll also be getting a Squid Industries Double Barrel. Mostly because it presses all the right buttons for me.

VU Sponsors