Become a Patron!

Looking to upgrade from Cool fire 4 need recommendations please!!

Obsoletevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello everyone, so I've reached a point I'm sure most of you can relate to, I've been trying to quit smoking and really been trying to give vaping a whole hearted effort. I started with the ego pens, then went to mechanical with an rba, and finally found my way into the regulated mod category. I like the ease of use and features that go with this style mod which led me to purchase a Innokin Cool Fire 4, with a Kanger Sub Tank . While its a great little devise, my only gripe is the limited battery life. I'm a pretty heavy vapor and only get 5 or 6 hours of sub ohm vaping out of her before i have to plug it in, I partially think the internal battery is starting to go from being used so much, so lucky me I get to buy another mod but which to chose? I'm not a stickler about brand but I would like something higher than 40w and with enough battery life to quench my vaping thirst, I plan to start looking into a nice dripper RBA in the not so distant future also. I had my eye on the Sigelei 75W TC or the iPV4S 120W but Innokin also has the Cool Fire 4 Plus. So what do you guys think? I'm looking for input on these devises or suggestions for something else.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive dual 18650 mod, the IPV5 looks pretty good. Are you looking for another internal battery or replaceable 18650 mod? If 18650, single or dual?

Cheers,
Steve

Obsoletevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the quick response Wing, I'm defiantly thinking I'm gonna need a dual batt. mod unless similar battery life can be SAFELY obtained from and single 18650, and replaceable batteries are a must, I'm quite bummed that my CF4 is pretty much a paper weight at this point because of the internal battery. I was checking out the IPV5 but not totally sold on the aesthetics of the mod itself but you are right it would fit my parameters, although it does seem to be a bit over kill for me I'm not all that savvy about all the TC and such and really don't want to pay for features I wouldn't be using.

Last edited:

centella4u

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you looked into the Kangertech KBOX 120 yet? I just got the 200 watts version today and it's a great dual battery mod. You mentioned about starting to look into a nice dripper in the not so distant future so I think you'd be safer to get something with a little more oomph and who knows, you might enjoy TCing in the future too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just about every new mod will have TC. They can still be used in power mode, but they will also have TC in case you want to go that route in the future. Single 18650 will have half the battery life as compared to dual 18650 mods. Dual 18650 will however be bigger. There is always a give and take, no way around it.

At the time I suggested the IPV5, I knew of a USA store that was offering it for under $50. Since my post, I checked and it's now sold out. I also didn't know about how you would think of it looks wise. I was just trying to suggest something reasonably priced with a high quality chip (Yihi, it basically uses their second best chip). I personally use DNA200 mods, but since you don't use TC, I wouldn't necessarily recommend one (I consider them the best TC mods out atm). Good luck in your search!

Cheers,
Steve

Obsoletevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmm the KBOX is pretty nice i like the safety features, price point, and power how does it measure up to the other mods in its " weight class" ?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Not sure what you mean by weight class
If you want inexpensive 100w plus you're looking at 2-3 batteries to get decent run time
In the under 50$ class I would look at:
Rx200- 3 batteries, 200w
Cuboid - w batteries
I stick tc 100- 2 batteries and100w or 1 battery and 75w
Kbox 120;2:batteries

For versatility I would take a look at the istick 100tc

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I went with the smok r200 myself seems like one of the more sturdy mods avil. Also after ordering come to find out it comes with a tfv4 micro all for 40$ can't beat that with a stick. Ft has coupon code RUMBUST for 10% off but keep in mind cny is going on now so might want to avoid ordering from china. https://m.fasttech.com/p/4087503

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Obsoletevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey sorry for the absence had to sleep i, will take a look at those mods you guys suggested, sorry firebird when I said weight class I was referring to devices that would be similar, bad attempt at a joke.

11thcup

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just recently upgraded from a cool fire 4 to a kbox 120, for very much the same reasons. I was building my RDA and setting my power to what I knew could get me through the day, and just barely at that.

I'm liking it, and the battery life improvement has been great(all day+ at 40-50w), but I already miss the rock solid build of the cool fire. Not that the kbox seems fragile, it's just more like your average electronic device. A drop is a little scarier.
The most concise way I can put the difference in the feel of these mods is that the Innokin vs the Kanger feels like a Honda vs a Kia.
If replaceable batteries aren't important to you, the cf4 plus or the cortex might be good options, and you'll get the same Innokin build quality.

Despite the quality gap, the Kanger seems like good cheap power, with tc for lots of metals if I decide to try it, and replaceable 18650s, which was one of my criteria for my new mod.

Good luck and have fun with your new gear when you get it.

Obsoletevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I'm starting to Lean towards the kbox but the quality is a bit concerning the internals are plastic with an aluminium or stainless shell. I thankfully haven't dropped CF4 ( knock on wood) I really try to be careful but the heads up is appreciated. From the replies i've already gotten i think i've decided to go for the dual 18650's, I haven't made it to 50w yet but as I said I'll probably invest in a good rda before to long, and want to know that the power is there without having to upgrade my mod

Last edited:

starrelabelletxlady

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just recently upgraded from a cool fire 4 to a kbox 120, for very much the same reasons. I was building my RDA and setting my power to what I knew could get me through the day, and just barely at that.

I'm liking it, and the battery life improvement has been great(all day+ at 40-50w), but I already miss the rock solid build of the cool fire. Not that the kbox seems fragile, it's just more like your average electronic device. A drop is a little scarier.
The most concise way I can put the difference in the feel of these mods is that the Innokin vs the Kanger feels like a Honda vs a Kia.
If replaceable batteries aren't important to you, the cf4 plus or the cortex might be good options, and you'll get the same Innokin build quality.

Despite the quality gap, the Kanger seems like good cheap power, with tc for lots of metals if I decide to try it, and replaceable 18650s, which was one of my criteria for my new mod.

Good luck and have fun with your new gear when you get it.
I have found the kbox to be very durable. I have dropped my Subox countless times, and twice on concrete, and all it did was chip the paint. I just received my Kanger Topbox 70watt kit today, and the kbox mod is designed exactly like the Subox. I'm new to TC, and wanted a mod that works with/without temp control, and this fits the bill. (The 24k gold Clapton coils really do enhance flavor, btw, and I ordered them separately). The kit comes with 3 different types of coils, and I was too busy figuring out the top fill tank to try the TC mode yet. I'm not sure if the top fill is truly more convenient, it doesn't hold as much juice, but I'm so used to the standard Subtank Mini's. I think it's just learning a new technique that's annoying, but it vapes like a champ.
I don't ever turn mine up over 45 watts, and prefer vaping at 35w, which is why I didn't get the 120 kbox.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Obsoletevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the info star, I'm really having a tough time settling on which mod I want to purchase. Whats the battery life like with that tank? I just bought a sub tank plus v2 and run the rba inside usually single coil nothing fancy, but as I was explaining in a previous reply I think atop of my Cool Fire 4 it just kills my battery so much so that its not longer holding a charge for more than a few hours. The reason I was really interested in the Kbox 120 or 200 was due to the dual 18650's and being a pretty heavy vaper, I prefer to have a bigger mod vs a smaller one in exchange for longer usage times, but I'm the same way before my CF4 started failing on me I had just gotten use to vaping at 30w's myself although with only a 40w limit and the internal battery it was only a matter of time before I needed a new mod anyway. Also I do want to at some time to try building a few different types of coil setups and get a nice RDA, hopefully in the not to distant future. I'm also not opposed to other brand mods if you have some other suggestions for a mod.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For what it's worth I'm really digging my generation 1 istick 100, the TC wasn't available when I bought mine or I might've went that route instead. Not an eleaf fanboy by no means, but the stuff I've used has held up well and works as it should.

Obsoletevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the input Josh, I've been doing some research online and went up and talked with the gal at my local vape store and Im torn between the Sigelei Fuchai, or the KBOX 200. I know I said all the previous stuff about TC and such but I really don't want to have to buy another mod, well at least for a while ;). Anyone have any feed back on these mod specifically? Pros / Cons, comparisons what do you guys think?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
. I know I said all the previous stuff about TC and such but I really don't want to have to buy another mod, well at least for a while ;). Anyone have any feed back on these mod specifically? Pros / Cons, comparisons what do you guys think?
then might I suggest something that does tc with SS or better yet SS and let's you plug in a tcr for another wire and/or firmware upgradeable.
I don't believe either of those two have those features,

The Istick 100tc does and is a 100w mod. Also the ipv5 200w as well or even back to the rx200 all of which are under the 50$ mark.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Eleaf 100TC has received great reviews (youtube), and now vapenw has them for $35.00.

cking2

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just jumped from the CF 4 to the eleaf istick tc 100w because of battery life. Really happy with with the new mod and can vape all day with my subtank with clapton coils.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Obsoletevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks everyone for the input seems to be quite the E leaf following. Not for nothing it is a pretty nice mod in terms of features, I was planning on stopping into my LVS for some juice later today so ill have to take a look at it, although its ascetic and over all look i don't think are for me, but without actually holding it I could be wrong. I'm pretty confident though I'll be purchasing the Sigelei Fu Chai. I'm not really concerned with the price point, just having a high quality mod that will last me a while and will work with a few different builds I would like to try. I'm not trying to detract from E Leafs quality, because again I don't know but Sigelei seems to be more reputable at making mods at least for now.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fuchai, great choice! Let us know how you like it. Don't forget to get some safe, quality 18650 batteries (Samsung, LG). Enjoy.:)

Obsoletevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Will do I'm pretty excited myself, been vaping on the CF4 for about a year now, and its time for an upgrade. For batteries I was planing on getting four Samsung INR 18650 25R HIGH DRAIN 35A 2500mAh, wish I could find ones with more mah, but I wont buy garbage batteries have them blow up on me knowing my luck, just for the sake of a couple more hours of vape time. I was planning on getting four two for the mod and two on stand by. Anyways thanks for all the help and input guys I'll post some pics when I get my mod take care talk to ya soon.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First off, I think the Samsung 25R's are great batteries, I'm using them right now. They are 20 amp Constant discharge. Most good batteries we use are rated at that. Batteries have 2 different ratings. The lower one is the CDR (Constant Discharge Rating), the second and higher one is their pulse rating. When looking at batteries, make sure you know which one a company is quoting. Here's a link to an article you might be interested in checking out: The Top 5 18650's for Vaping.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit Stick with one of the Big 3 for 18650's - Samsung, LG, and Sony. I haven't tried them yet, but the LG HG2's are pretty popular atm (20 amp CDR @ 3000mah). I'm very happy with my 25R's but if I was in the market for new batteries and found some HG2's at a decent price, I'd give them a try

Last edited:

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hg2s last longer than my LG he4s in my istick 100 and have had 0 issues with either, or the Samsung 25r I use in a single battery mod. Any of those batteries should serve u well.

Obsoletevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So many choices, what is a vaper to do? I really gotta take some time and go read up on batteries or just vape mod electroics in general.

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It looks like you found the biggest downfall to internal LiPo batteries. If size is a factor, I'd even consider the iPV D3 if carrying an extra battery isn't a big deal. I really love my RX200, and can't recommend it enough, but the size isn't for everyone. If I was going to buy a dual battery mod today, I'd have to strongly consider the Kangertech Kbox 200. It fits very well in the hand, it feels well made, and it's pretty sleek. I kind of dig the "Ferrari red". The only one I wouldn't recommend right now from experience is the X Cube II. Mine seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes by changing settings and the app works only most of the time. It also slowly chews up the battery wraps when they are removed. So many great choices out there...

Obsoletevaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I was going back and forth between the Kbox and the Fu Chai. Both in my limited opinion seem to be pretty sound devices, I decided though to go with the Fu Chai, for aesthetics and I was told it uses a better chip compared to the Kbox, which was what ultimately won me over. I should be receiving it in a few days, I'm going to use it with my Kanger sub tank plus with the RBA deck installed I'm pretty stoked. Thanks for the heads up though Medic, I was actually looking at the X Cube II as well but again the aesthetics of the device were just not what I was looking for, not to mention the whole app thing just seemed like a gimmick to me more than anything, cool idea though. I hope you get it straightened out I would contact them for either a replacement or substitution, considering you payed for it.

VU Sponsors