Become a Patron!

looking to upgrade need advice

Looking for real input (not paid youtube reviewers praising the highest bidder) currently running a kayfun 4 (authentic not clone) on a ipv 2 dual coil .5 ohm looking to get a RDA and a new box mod. Have seen things from the ipv the make me question it, mostly the battery seems to be lose inside and i dont trust the bouncy ohm reader on it. currently thinking or the TOBH if i can find it, veil plume, and veritas. far as box's go im not as narrowed down but open to opinions on best of box, RDA, and RTA. looking foe best flavor but a good cloud is also needed.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the VU.
I'm sure you are going to get advice from several people. All of them different, only you know what's best for you by mostly trial and error.

yea but with not trying to purchase a dozen of each figured id look for opinions and go try the couple most common picked

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm happy with my Nautilus mini & Eleaf Istick 20w.
I'm happy with my R-80 & Smoketech ARO for being stealthy.

nautilus was what i used untill i riped open a coil ans saw their "special paper" lol yea currently looking at a minimum of a 50W mod for the sub ohm coils im building. also curious about trying ribbon or twisted kanthal not to mention a vid for twisting ribbon that has me very interested, but that for future questions.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If this is to get you into cloud chasing, buy your mod WISELY.

IMO, if you want to run an RDA, then you need to stay away from single battery mods. 100 watt minimum with dual batts.

I like the Sigelei's myself. Had I not bought the Smaug, I would have gotten the Sig 150, since I have a 100 watt V2.

I have a TOBH. It's nice, works as it should. Not super airy, but enough. Good flavor. The Doge with the chuff cap is the tits for clouding. If you don't get an atty with a Chuff, make sure you get either a delrin drip tip or glass. You need something that won't burn your lips off, if you chain vape an RDA.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
They all throw decent flavor and clouds generally (speaking about RDA's).

It's all in the coil build and wicking. The juice well is important. The air hole locations are also important to LEAKAGE.

Another thing to think about is the fiddle factor. Get something with a Chuff top, and you don't have to pull your top cap to drip. Less juice on your hands and less farting around juicing your coils and wick.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Out of the RDAs you mentioned the Veritas delivers the best flavor.
It is a bit annoying to build, especially if your building a dual coil with low gauge.
I'm currently using the Marquis, which is similar to the Veritas in some ways, works just as good, also doesn't leak, but is super easy to build on.

VapeMe

Member For 4 Years
As someone who was once in your position I figured I might chime in and give you my personal experiences. I am also more about flavor, but like a nice cloud too. Tried to start out with an authentic device, but they are generally hard to find (at least hard to find what I decide i want). I just buy high quality clones now. Got tired of searching for authentics. For rdas I started with a plume veil, I soon was searching for something different due to the plume veil's leakyness. Not sure what I went to next, but in my collection of (mostly clone) rda's (I have a plume veil v1 and v1.5, two tohb 2.5s, an infinite clt, a tugboat v2, a stillare, two Zenith v2s, a hcigar legend, and a magma). Out of all of them, I absolutely love my Zeniths, simple design, great flavor, easy to build on, good vapor production, they are hands down my favorite rdas. If I could find a nib authentic I would buy it in a heartbeat, just because I love the clones I have so much, but at the same time, my two clones are very good quality (1:1). Second favorite would be my tohbs, great flavor, clouds for days, a tad bit harder to build on due to the afc tab on the deck, but not bad, it's a bit more prone to leaking though. Third favorite, and I was actually surprised at how much I like this device, is the hcigar legend (it's an hcigar original design I believe, so an authentic device from a clone company). I personally think it looks just a little goofy, but, I get great flavor, good vapor production, and I love the afc design, I get a nice smooth draw from it, it has never leaked on me, it is also really easy to build on. As far as mods go, I started with a cloupor dna 30 clone, it definitely wasn't enough power, hardly ever used the thing, I bought a mechanical mod the same week. I love my mechanical mods, have been using mechs for months now, but recently the loss of performance when the battery gets around 3.8-3.7 volts has been annoying me. So, I have a sigelei 150 watt coming in the mail, probably won't ever need 150 watts, but I found one for about the same price as a sigelei 100 watt plus so I got it. Who knows what the future holds, I probably won't ever need 150 watts, but at least its there if I ever need it. One thing I will mention, make sure to use a high drain battery capable of safely delivering the amount of amps you are asking them to give you. With a device like the sigelei 150, it would be relatively easy to overload your batteries. I use Samsung 18650 25r's since the Sony vtc5s became unavailable/started getting faked, they are affordable, and I find they perform very well, and authentic Samsungs are easily found, but I am careful not to put a load on them that will draw more than 20 amps. Hope this helps.

Zanaspus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you're a flavor junkie, I highly recommend the Magma. If you're a cloud chaser, move along, nothing to see here.

doughdreads

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
37106628.jpg

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know your are disappointed with the ipv2- but do not overlook the ipv3... When I got mine, I knew it could be upgraded. The shop i bought it at upgraded the firmware for no charge- the ohms read super accurate now at double digits... The voltage seems more accurate and it goes to a ridiculous 165 watts now....

Siglei seems to be highly praised around here- I might have to pick one up!

My first post btw... Be kind

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As far as a mod goes I am very happy with my Sigelei 150

I run a Sigelei 150 watt, with an Atlantis tank with REBUILT coils. The resistance/no resistance coil in the atlantis is a decent vertical coil, if cleaned and maintained. i replaced the wicking material with 100% OC. All things considered, you get two coils with the atlantis, so buying cotton for a tastier rewicking is no issue. it takes 15 minutes or less to rebuild the coil. also have a kanger subohm, also very nice. love the versatility. box mods with the new subohm compact coils are the way to go these days, no dripping, very little rebuilding. my advice, any sigelei mod with an aspire or kanger sub tank.

Last edited:

doughdreads

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I really enjoy my Sigelei 150, I think that if it had better ohm readings and the ability to save multiple wattage settings it would be perfect.

everyone I'm pretty new to vaping only been doing it about 40 days. I have bought 3 diff batteries and 4 tanks. But I am having So much trouble with the wicks/ filters. The taste just after filling and using once or twice tastes shitty. I clean them with water and Let dry,still taste bad. I have a I Stick 30W Battery now and have the 50W on its way. I also am using the Aspire Atlantis tank now and have a Aspire Nantilus tank on its way, Hoping I like this tank better. I hate having these filters.Or Whatever you guys call them Sorry not good at this yet and all the names of everything So I hope you all understand what I mean. Anyway I want something that gives me great great strong flavor and good clouds. But not have to Change these filters all the time. And a Lady made me one of - those drippers. But I can only put 3 drops of juice -in and Vape then have to take top off and do drops again that to much work. Can anyone help me please? I hope you all understand what I mean. Sorry Thanks for any help. Sandie

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Your coils should last longer than that. I may be your taste buds, or it may be you are cooking coils by vaping too hot. Don't really know.

If you want clouds, clearo tanks are not really what you will end up using. You will be in an RTA or RDA. An RTA like a Billow, will be a good solution for you. Holds quite a bit of juice, and will produce clouds.

The Atlantis tank will give good clouds and flavor. Freemind is right tho, your coils shouldn't be burnt out that quick. Check the Ohm on your coil, Nautilus coils I believe are 1.6, so you won't need to go over 15 watts, whereas the Atlantis coils are 0.5 ohms and can handle up to 30 watts. Play with your settings a bit, maybe back your wattage down and see if that helps. I run my Atlantis at 35 watts for some juices and it kicks with flavor and Vapor . RDA's give you better options but is a little advanced and you really need an understanding of ohms law and battery capabilities/safety.

I may be just jumping in here. And these are my interpretations and possible interpretations of my customers. But i have an ipv3. Its a solid device and compared to an ipv2 it has a few pros. Longer Battery life, more wattage, and the ability to build lower. The cons however made me opt for alternative devices. Any high wattage vv under a high load will need to have good batteries! It will destroy the battery life and will not operate correctly at even 70 percet of its limit.
  • BB buttons. hate em. personal preference.
  • Can be glitchy and low ohms, extremely glitchy at low ohms after doing the update.
  • Screws to hold on the door.
  • My glue melted... smh. Pioneer4you even warned about this
  • Doesn't retain memory when changing batteries.
  • Touch sensor doesn't work !
  • Charge port (this is only on earlier ones) doesn't work. and the usb is only for updates.
  • Inaccurate voltage on high amp builds. Low ohm, high watt.
Yes, that was a lot of negative things to say. But it is still a solid device, i enjoy using it. But for around the same price you can opt for a sigeli 100w plus (much better then the standard 100W) or the sigeli 150W which I just got my hands on. These both have the battery life benefit, magnetic back door, sexy, large buttom, and nice display. Out of 100 sold there was one that was defective. Sent it to sigeli's California warehouse and had it within the week. (I think the guy broke it)

Hope that gives you some more stuff to research and good luck on your quest. I am not a representative for any company. But i do work in a shop. I will not disclose the shop name or website. I will be as unbiased as possible.

Also, I have been vaping for a couple years but am extremely committed in knowing as much as possible and help in any way that i can so if you have questions. Feel free to ask.

VapeMe

Member For 4 Years
I agree with Scott W. My sigelei 150 has been fantastic. I love my black one so much that I ordered a red one as well. I used the black one at work where I am more likely to scratch it up or drop it. The red one is for at home.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just gonna say what i have and what i would recomend .
i have the darkhorse. good clouds but shit flavor.
magma great flavor shit clouds.
plumeveil decent clouds no flavor.
mutation v3 great clouds decent flavor. would recomend this cause a authentic can be had at clone price.

as far as the box i wouldnt be any use i use only unregulated

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the IPV3...arctic subtank blows good clouds/flavor for a tank ...but the Dark horse is king of the clouds at about 75-80w with a .3 ohm dual coil build..

from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

Zanaspus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
everyone I'm pretty new to vaping only been doing it about 40 days. I have bought 3 diff batteries and 4 tanks. But I am having So much trouble with the wicks/ filters. The taste just after filling and using once or twice tastes shitty. I clean them with water and Let dry,still taste bad. I have a I Stick 30W Battery now and have the 50W on its way. I also am using the Aspire Atlantis tank now and have a Aspire Nantilus tank on its way, Hoping I like this tank better. I hate having these filters.Or Whatever you guys call them Sorry not good at this yet and all the names of everything So I hope you all understand what I mean. Anyway I want something that gives me great great strong flavor and good clouds. But not have to Change these filters all the time. And a Lady made me one of - those drippers. But I can only put 3 drops of juice -in and Vape then have to take top off and do drops again that to much work. Can anyone help me please? I hope you all understand what I mean. Sorry Thanks for any help. Sandie

It was at your point in my vaping journey that I purchase a Magma. It's an RDA, but its well is almost as large as small tanks. My flavor needs became a thing of the past.

0rK1ngDAM Good Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looking for real input (not paid youtube reviewers praising the highest bidder) currently running a kayfun 4 (authentic not clone) on a ipv 2 dual coil .5 ohm looking to get a RDA and a new box mod. Have seen things from the ipv the make me question it, mostly the battery seems to be lose inside and i dont trust the bouncy ohm reader on it. currently thinking or the TOBH if i can find it, veil plume, and veritas. far as box's go im not as narrowed down but open to opinions on best of box, RDA, and RTA. looking foe best flavor but a good cloud is also needed.
I just got the Patriot V2 and I am using on a HANA Mods DNA 40 the great thing about the HANA Mod is the ability to control the vape temperature I use my at around 240 degrees and it works to my liking. Hope this helps
DAMgoodvapes signing off

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sigelei 150w with an Infinite CLT 2 Plus or Mutation X 2
Ill cast my vote for the Sigelei 150 and infinite CLT2 also. Ive had the 150 for several months now and its been flawless.
As for the rda, Ive used quite a few clones in my vaping career. None of them come close to the quality, adjustability, and flavor of the CLT2.

I run a Sigeli 150 with either a Troll atty which has good airflow or a mutation V4 which has SICK juice wells! I would def recommend those two for sure!

jallen015

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I run a Sigele 50 for while I'm working with a troll RDA, and an unregulated with a mutation for when I'm in search of the never-ending cloud

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I run a Sigele 50 for while I'm working with a troll RDA, and an unregulated with a mutation for when I'm in search of the never-ending cloud
1b8867dae2a523332838f9b6efcd8a07.jpg
I can relate to the search of the never ending cloud! Lol
That said, I blow my best clouds on my mechs....clouds I just can't duplicate on the high powered IPV3..
The Dark horse shown here has a .21 ohm dual parallel 24g build on the 18650 XXIX...the Doge has a .12 ohm dual parallel 22g build on the BFM that so far is my very best cloud blowin' RDA I've built to date...
I have the Arctic and Herkales subtanks on the box mods for flavor...my mechs are king of the clouds! Lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
9feefae80b237c1c0fb7c858b35c0b35.jpg

.07 ohms took me to second place last night
I thought box mods were not allowed in cloud competitions... I don't do competitions, but that's what I heard at my local shop..

jallen015

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It all depends on the comp I guess, last night was my first one so I was pretty happy. From what I've hear some have different classes, the local one last night was "run what you brung"

dam718

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As far as RDA's go, I have a Dark Horse, Doge V2, and a Marquis.

I'll be the first to admit that I overdrip... So take this for what it's worth.

Dark horse is great for cloud chasing, but in my opinion the flavor is a bit muted. The airflow options, although plentiful, leave something to be desired. First off, adjusting the airflow is a bit fiddly, requiring you to loosen up the top section, adjust the airflow ring, and then tighten it back down to lock it in place. And that's only half the airflow options. To explore the other half, you have to flip the airflow adjustment ring upside down. There is a Pegasus on this piece... If you flip it upside down, your Pegasus is now flying upside down... LoL. It can be set up for dual or single coils. Even the most closed down option is still pretty open, and if you try to close it down any more it just opens up other airflow holes. The build deck is okay, nothing to write home about. Large post holes so you can use some pretty heavy wire, but if you want to go with a smaller gauge build you may find them to be TOO big. I do like the delrin chuff cap / drip tip adapter option offered. If you don't like chuff caps, put in the drip tip adapter and use whatever you want. I get a lot of leaking from the Dark Horse air flow holes... I can avoid it if I'm careful, but it just seems that the airflow holes are too close to the build deck. Again, I must reiterate that I overdrip, so this is more my fault than the RDA, but something to keep in mind.

The Doge V2 also puts out big clouds. IMO, the Doge has better airflow than the Dark Horse. Dual and single coil options, like the dark horse. Wide open, the Doge is about the same as the Dark Horse wide open. Where the Doge shines is that the airflow is infinitely adjustable from wide open to fully closed off. It can be as loose a draw or as tight a draw as you want it. This makes the Doge great for both big clouds with the draw open, AND surprisingly good flavor when you start closing up the airflow. I don't really care for chuff caps, so that's a low point for me. The 14mm is the only option, and I'm not aware of an aftermarket piece that allows the use of a standard drip tip. I like the build deck. The posts holes again are huge (3mm), and it includes grub screws which trap the wires a bit better. It also has the option of switching between copper and stainless screws and center post, just in case you don't want copper coming in contact with your juice. I have found that if you want a smaller gauge build, you can use the flathead screws that have a large head on them and trap smaller wires between the screw head and the top of the post. I don't get as much leaking from the Doge as I do the Dark Horse.

The Marquis is more flavor oriented, and the flavor is great. Vapor production is good, but this is not a huge cloud machine. Airflow is much more restrictive than the Dark Horse or Doge, but still plenty loose enough for a good lung hit. It can be set up for dual or single coil. The wire trapping for the Marquis is superior to any other RDA I've used in the past. Very easy to build on. It comes with stepped coil wrapping rods that are fantastic assistants for lining up the coils directly with the air holes. I usually do vertical coils, but I have also seen folks do horizontal chimney coils. Never tried this myself. The vapor chamber is a reduced chamber, with about half the chamber blocked off and the top of the chamber domed. Neat design. The drip well is pretty huge. Because of the size of the drip well, along with the location of the airholes and design of the vapor chamber, this RDA has the least issues with leaking of the three. It only leaks if I am stupid and tilt it the wrong way right after dripping. There are three drip tip options which can all be used with a 510 drip tip. They basically increase the distance the vapor has to travel, so each longer option offers a little cooler vape. I'd say this is my favorite of the three, as I don't usually blow huge clouds anyway, and the flavor of the Marquis is MUCH better than the Doge or the Dark horse.

I usually have these strapped on a mechanical... I have tried them all on an SXmini M Class, and they do well, but 60W isn't enough to push 22AWG and 24AWG super low resistance builds.

I don't have any other regulated mod to try them on. The Sigelei mods do seem like a favorite though, and I'll likely get one in the future just to have some adjustability if my builds are a bit too hot on a mech.

Sorry for the long read, but hope it helps a bit :)

Last edited:

TheGingerSquatch

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As far as upgrades, the one set-up that I always go to is the Swirlfish RDA and the iPV Mini 2 which puts out 70W max. I can put my dual parallel 26g in it that comes out to about .27 ohms and it chucks clouds all day long with the flavor that I like. I'm also currently looking to up my game to the 100W range and the iPV4 seems to be the one. It has a dual battery set-up and it has the advantage of being temperature control capable which seems interesting to me. For flavor, the tanks seem to be the way to go. The Arctic is a great tank but it has the disadvantage of being a sub-ohm only device and even then, what I would consider super sub-ohm so it'll eat up battery life.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: Currently serving Army 68W medic here.

VU Sponsors