Become a Patron!

Lots of juice spitting on the Cloud Beast

Hey guys, my girlfriend bought me the TVF-8 Mod today and I'm currently using it on my Smok Alien 220W at a good 100 watts.

At first, some problems with the tank itself occured to me (liquid was coming out of the airflow immediately so I unscrewed it, cleaned it for a bit and then screwed it on again). Starting at 50 Watts, I slowly ramped it up to a 100. Now, I am constantly getting some crazy spit-back, it seems like hot juice is spitting into my mouth in 95% of my drags. Also, the build seems to heat up quite racingly, after taking about 5 hits the tank is getting crazy hot. Additionally, my juice tastes kind of like popcorn (using a dragonfruit liquid with 3mg).

Am I doing anything wrong? Should I just unscrew it and put everything back in tightly?
Looking forward to some advice :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sounds to me like something is not assembled correctly or a missing o-ring on the coil maybe? I do not own a Cloud Beast so just trying to offer some help. Have you tried another coil?

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Ive heard this many time about the tfv8. I have a tfv8-x baby and I had some spitting at first but when the coil was broke in it stopped. I also noticed it happens at higher wattages usually when I get to 50 or more.

Imho they're not the best tanks.

Last edited:

Drum71

I apologize for not being normal!
VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got 4 TFV12 tanks being used on 2 Triade DNA 250's. I've learned, no matter what coil, the "best" wattage range on the coil is too high for me. I'll also get that "burnt popcorn" taste if in that range. I've settled at 105 watts and 210F. No burning even on 4 second hits. I would think these adjustments vary mod to mod.
Also, I've found some juices burn easier than others so I adjust accordingly.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I'm not sure what coil you're using it with, or if you're using the rba deck. So on assumption I'll go with the pre build coils smok offers. On every side of the coil, as well as the package smok puts a recommendation. And while you can go lower or/and above, these coils are tricky in comparison to other brands, you might or might not get away with.

If too low, smok tanks tend to leak much easier, as well as flooding the coils, this alone can lead to spit back.
If too high, you're boiling the juice as well as the cotton of your coil, or even the wire itself, leading to spit back, nasty taste or fully burnt flavor.

Therefore take a look at the recommendation and adjust accordingly.

Smok is also known for their horrible factory pressed cotton in their coils, making it hard for the wicking to catch up, with high VG juices. If then using a extreme sweetened juice, or one that uses a lot of sweetener, gunking the cotton and nothing gets through, leading to dry hits or burned coil/cotton on one side and extreme "spit back" on the other. To prevent that, if you're in the right wattage recommendation, take shorter hits and give your coil time to catch up in between drags.

If its a new coil on top of that, take the necessary steps of priming your coils. When it comes to smok there's more to it then just filling the tank and waiting 5 minutes.

Drum71

I apologize for not being normal!
VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not sure what coil you're using it with, or if you're using the rba deck. So on assumption I'll go with the pre build coils smok offers. On every side of the coil, as well as the package smok puts a recommendation. And while you can go lower or/and above, these coils are tricky in comparison to other brands, you might or might not get away with.

If too low, smok tanks tend to leak much easier, as well as flooding the coils, this alone can lead to spit back.
If too high, you're boiling the juice as well as the cotton of your coil, or even the wire itself, leading to spit back, nasty taste or fully burnt flavor.

Therefore take a look at the recommendation and adjust accordingly.

Smok is also known for their horrible factory pressed cotton in their coils, making it hard for the wicking to catch up, with high VG juices. If then using a extreme sweetened juice, or one that uses a lot of sweetener, gunking the cotton and nothing gets through, leading to dry hits or burned coil/cotton on one side and extreme "spit back" on the other. To prevent that, if you're in the right wattage recommendation, take shorter hits and give your coil time to catch up in between drags.

If its a new coil on top of that, take the necessary steps of priming your coils. When it comes to smok there's more to it then just filling the tank and waiting 5 minutes.

I haven't been vaping long but I did have a theory about the cotton being too compressed in the coils. (I use the quad and duodenary) I've found the duodenary coils allow for more surface area with the cotton/ejuice and doesn't require as high of a temperature to produce the same vapor as the quad or dual coils.

*UPDATE*
After further use, I have come to the conclusion that the "best" wattage listed on the coil is ridiculously high and these coils should not be used at high wattage unless you like drinking ejuice and tasting popcorn.

I get an acceptable amount of spit back (because I like it, to a point) @ 115 watts and 220 degrees. depending on the juice. Some wont spit so I can increase the wattage by 10 but no higher, or else “Popcorn Time”! My Hit Time ranges from 2 to 3.5 seconds on average. At those numbers, I get a fulfilling inhale and some pretty impressive clouds so I’m happy with the tanks, for the most part. I now have 4 so I have to be. lol

Vaping on 2 Triade DNA250's with 3 Samsung 30Q 18650 Batteries installed.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors