Become a Patron!

Low builds

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i keep seeing people on YouTube building really low builds on the same device I use which is a Efusion duo. When I have 2 vtc4s the lowest its recommended to build is .17 I think but I see all these .1, .15 builds.

1 Does the lipo pack make it to where you can build lower? Never used a lipo so not sure what the lowest you can build.

2 Or are people using 18650s and just running cause it's in a regulated device? I have some builds I wanna use but it looks like it's going to put me around .15 and I like to be safe. I usally build at .2.

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
here are the specs for the board..
DNA 200 specs:
  • 0.1 to 2.0 ohm Kanthal Resistance Range
  • 0.08 to 1.0 ohm Temperature Sensing Range
looks to be capable of lower then .17

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok I always thought it was based off your batteries. So what it being a regulated devices you can build lower then your batteries are rated for in a mechanical?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok I always thought it was based off your batteries. So what it being a regulated devices you can build lower then your batteries are rated for in a mechanical?
With a regulated device, resistance means almost nothing-build to what you want, as the only thing affecting amp load on your batteries is watts-not resistance.

You calculate by taking the watts set, divided by actual input battery voltage, and on a regulated mod, amp load increases as voltage drops.

So, for a single 18650 device, calculate at cutoff voltage, lets use 50W as an example.

50W divided by 3.2V (An average cutoff voltage) gives you 15.62A. You then need to factor in chip efficiency, which mooch recommends 95%, although the DNA 75 is 85% efficient, so after that it will be drawing 18.38A.

With a dual 18650 device, at 6.4V input at 50W, you are drawing just 7.8A! With the DNA200's efficiency of 97%, this would be 8.05A.

This is because your atomiser is connected to the boards output/regulator, not directly to the battery, and the board regulates your vape to output your set power level while it can, when it can't power is reduced.

For example, the DNA200's max input is 23A, but can output 55A maximum to your atty. The board takes care of everything and regulates the voltage and power sent to the atomiser, so wether vaping at 0.1 or 1 Ohm, the amps drawn from your battery will be the same at the same watts.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok got ya. I learned the whole ohms law when I got into mechanic mods. And figured the same would apply to regulated. So as long as I don't build below the devices recommendations which is .1 I will be fine with or without the lipo or 18650.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok got ya. I learned the whole ohms law when I got into mechanic mods. And figured the same would apply to regulated. So as long as I don't build below the devices recommendations which is .1 I will be fine with or without the lipo or 18650.
It is always good to know ohms law-as what is hitting you atty still does apply to ohms law, within reason of adjustability of wattage.

With most devices, to hit maximum power, you still must build within a certain band of resistance to be able to hit it-outside this range voltage and amp limits stop this from being possible.

So like you say, as long as you build within the devices recommended range, you will be fine-still ensure you are using good batteries though whatever wattage you plan to vape at :).

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got ya I only use vtc4s. So if I build to lower it will kind of cut it off early to make up for amps and voltage. It will still be safe just won't get all the power needed to push them

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got ya I only use vtc4s. So if I build to lower it will kind of cut it off early to make up for amps and voltage. It will still be safe just won't get all the power needed to push them
Building lower or higher won't make any difference at all to what is pulled from your batteries-the only thing that will is your chosen wattage.

On a mech this is different though.

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Got some wire but I haven't built with it cause it will put me around .12-.15 so I guess later I can try it out.
if your wire is ss316l for example, and you run it in TC mode, you can go as low as 0.05, in power mode you have to stay at or above 0.1
with regulated mods the only things about your batteries you need be concerned with are the max discharge amps and the maH

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea the wire I got is stainless steel. All kinds of different claptons, twisted, staggered fused claptons.I plan on building around .15 and staying in power mode. And like I said all I use is vtc4s. So from what I see I will be good

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well this is a pwm with a 3.0 ohm build at 50% power......on a 6s Lipo 22volts

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Team13chad is selling this hextapatalk_1474093336260.jpegohm v3 with Sony vtc batteries $165.... Maybe he'll do $150 shipped...... Is under hardware for sale.......

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea the wire I got is stainless steel. All kinds of different claptons, twisted, staggered fused claptons.I plan on building around .15 and staying in power mode. And like I said all I use is vtc4s. So from what I see I will be good
Well, you have a lot of power on tap- you can use the maximum 133W of the Efusion Duo as you will be drawing 20.78A from the batteries at this power level, with efficiency factored in 21.42A, this is @97% efficiency of the DNA200, as bucking is more efficient than boosting this is how such a high efficiency level is possible.

You will definitely have well enough to power you claptons, staggered fused claptons and fancy coils and be within the CDR of the VTC4.

All these calculations are at 6.4V, when your batteries are at a higher voltage you are pulling even less amps, so you could, if you wanted too, go for some higher capacity 20A batteries too for a longer runtime? As during max power output I generally find batteries can only do this while they are not near end voltage, power is reduced when they get nearer to needing a charge-which will keep you safe and also give you up to 900MAH extra a cell.

In series, the MAH does not increase, but your watt hours still do, so you would still benefit with a longer runtime :).

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone's trading me a abs parallel box mod for some juice. So I can play around with that to. I have always had series but from what I read you get better battery life and it ups your amps. So you can build lower at little more safely.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone's trading me a abs parallel box mod for some juice. So I can play around with that to. I have always had series but from what I read you get better battery life and it ups your amps. So you can build lower at little more safely.
Is it regulated or mechanical?

This is where things get confusing for a lot of people- with a series device, your MAH doesn't increase, but your watt hours DO increase as they would in parallel, so you still benefit from longer battery life. Your voltage also doubles. which means less amps are required on a regulated mod for the same watts vs a single or parallel device. Your amp limit remains the same in series.

In parallel, your MAH doubles, while voltage remains the same, but available amps double in a perfect scenario, but it is recommended to only increase by 50%, so if you have 20A cells, you can build to 30A in parallel. So you are correct you can build lower more safely if you want too.

If it is a mechanical mod you are using, you have the potential to build lower, or have more headroom for safety, it is your call what you do :).
If it was a series device however, you would not want to build low, as even a build of 0.6 is pulling 117W at full charge, but in the real world with sag it will be a fair bit less, although still very high powered.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would this be considered a low build ?

8wrap on 5mm drill (4) core 316L SS.... Ohming .17
IMAG1961_1.jpgIMAG1962_1.jpg

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would this be considered a low build ?

8wrap on 5mm drill (4) core 316L SS.... Ohming .17
View attachment 61843View attachment 61844

Well, I guess it is quite low, but unless you are using it on a mech resistance doesn't mean that much, unless you are planning on hitting maximum power as most devices need you to build within a certain band of resistance to achieve maximum power.

Due to their size, I am guessing they are for some big clouds/high power vaping?

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I guess it is quite low, but unless you are using it on a mech resistance doesn't mean that much, unless you are planning on hitting maximum power as most devices need you to build within a certain band of resistance to achieve maximum power.

Due to their size, I am guessing they are for some big clouds/high power vaping?
Yeah they are volcano coils..... The clouds and flavor are amazing at 60 watts..... Take it up to 85 watts..... You can't Vape in public for real..... People run away, and cover their face, I'm using on my modfather so the clouds are pretty rediculous.......

Vape it at 100 watts and it's comp time...... It is sick...... Good coils for 85VG......

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well this is a pwm with a 3.0 ohm build at 50% power......on a 6s Lipo 22volts

Lol I only just noticed this- is the 3.0 Ohm build a typo or it is a high resistance build? Is it your box-some real flames there!

Yeah they are volcano coils..... The clouds and flavor are amazing at 60 watts..... Take it up to 85 watts..... You can't Vape in public for real..... People run away, and cover their face, I'm using on my modfather so the clouds are pretty rediculous.......

Vape it at 100 watts and it's comp time...... It is sick...... Good coils for 85VG......

Nice, did you build those yourself? If so you did a good job on them :). I have started to vape at more sedate wattages for the reason you mention about 85W-not being able to vape in public.

At home, I do enjoy a bit of higher power fun from time to time though.

VU Sponsors