Become a Patron!

Low ohm builds

So for over a year now I have been building below .1 ohms. Usually between .07 to .11 on my single battery mechs, with one single vtc5. Now I know that this is considered dangerous and I am fully aware of the ohms law and how it works. I usually just run 7 or 8 wrap fused Claptons (24-26g ni80 cores wrapped with 32 or 36ga ni80) I strictly run ni80 and I wrap these coils myself. Not prebuilts. My question is, should I still run this? My mod never, ever heats up, neither does the battery. I only run mechs because ni80 only runs that low really on a mech. I know this isn't safe but at the same time, nothing bad is happening? Ever. Please give me some advice. Does the metal change the ohms safety? I don't see many threads talking about that.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No the metal choice doesn't affect safety of ohm levels... it will only affect the inherent resistance of the wire..... an ohm is an ohm doesn't matter how it's reached... till you have to determine if your mod has capacity to fire it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

No the metal choice doesn't affect safety of ohm levels... it will only affect the inherent resistance of the wire..... an ohm is an ohm doesn't matter how it's reached... till you have to determine if your mod has capacity to fire it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
So about the safety vs how it seems safe? Working just fine. No issues.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The voltage sag that you get with a single VTC5 on such a low build is big so you're not really drawing that many amps from the VTC5. On top of that, the VTC5 uses one of the safest chemistries among 18650 batteries so because you're not chain vaping, but instead you probably take one hit and you put the mod down for a couple of minutes, you've got your answer. As for your other question of what you could maybe try next, personally, I, prefer to stick to dual coil builds (SS or Ni80 aliens) that ohm out at .1 or .11 because I use the VTC5A instead of the VTC5 so I'm getting less voltage sag. It means I don't have to build that low to get a satisfying vape, and I can actually take a couple of pulls with less than half a minute of waiting in between. The reason I don't always use Ni80 is simply because I find that some juices I like need that little bit of extra warmth. For this same reason, I tend to like using Kanthal cores for coil builds on my series mechs... dual batteries in series just vapes differently, it opens the road to other possibilities that you can't get with single battery... I'm using a dual coil fused clapton build that ohms out at .23 in one of my Purge Mods RDAs, and using it on my XXX stacked right now.

The voltage sag that you get with a single VTC5 on such a low build is big so you're not really drawing that many amps from the VTC5. On top of that, the VTC5 uses one of the safest chemistries among 18650 batteries so because you're not chain vaping, but instead you probably take one hit and you put the mod down for a couple of minutes, you've got your answer. As for your other question of what you could maybe try next, personally, I, prefer to stick to dual coil builds (SS or Ni80 aliens) that ohm out at .1 or .11 because I use the VTC5A instead of the VTC5 so I'm getting less voltage sag. It means I don't have to build that low to get a satisfying vape, and I can actually take a couple of pulls with less than half a minute of waiting in between. The reason I don't always use Ni80 is simply because I find that some juices I like need that little bit of extra warmth. For this same reason, I tend to like using Kanthal cores for coil builds on my series mechs... dual batteries in series just vapes differently, it opens the road to other possibilities that you can't get with single battery... I'm using a dual coil fused clapton build that ohms out at .23 in one of my Purge Mods RDAs, and using it on my XXX stacked right now.
I have some 316l ss, I built with it and it seems to oxidize almost immediately taking away all flavor and leaving me with a new cotton taste. What builds are you using this on? Because honestly it heats up just as fast (maybe even a bit faster) than my ni80 which I love.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have some 316l ss, I built with it and it seems to oxidize almost immediately taking away all flavor and leaving me with a new cotton taste. What builds are you using this on? Because honestly it heats up just as fast (maybe even a bit faster) than my ni80 which I love.
Not all wire is decent quality it seems... I haven't noticed any oxidizing on my coils yet. I don't notice much of a difference in ramp up either, just that tiny little bit of added warmth... but these are small 2.5 mm coils, like only 5½ wraps... as my Purge build decks are only 22mm.

VU Sponsors