Become a Patron!

Lowered my nicotine. How was your transition?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A month ago I lowered my nic from 6mg to 5mg with no issues at all. Last night I decided to go from 5mg to 3mg and its been a little tough. My vape has turned into more of an oxygen mask now lol. I'm drawling a lot harder, taking longer hits to the point of eventually getting dry hits. This is rough lol.

How was your transition? Hard, easy, did you stick it out?

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went from 3 to 2 many months ago and eventually decided to go back to 3 then up again to 4.5 recently to try and cut down how much liquid I vape per day and to help with appetite. I started MTL on 6mg 2 years ago and switched to 3 when I started sub-ohming but at this point I could care less how much nicotine I take in, I just want to cut down on the chain vaping and keep my appetite in check.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I lowered my nic as I bought better equipment. So I ended up at 6mg with no issues. I think of every now and then to lower again but don't. Tell you the truth I can go without vaping for a while and I suffer no "nic" fits. I usualy want to vape because the meeting is boring or I am board not for needing the nic.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure if its a nic craving or not. But before, I got a nice throat hit and would take a 2-3 second hit. I'm not getting that satisfying throat hit anymore so the i hit it a lot longer and chain vape like no tomorrow.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I smoked for 40 years been vaping exclusively since Dec 2014.

I started vaping using a EGO1100 batteries and nautilus and protank atties... at 1.5 to 2.5 ohm unregulated... using 18 to 20mg/ml juice...... when I got my first Kayfun Builds when down to 1.2 to 1.7 ohms... juice down to 15mg/ml..... that covers July to Dec 2014......

Vaping today on a Serpent Alto at .3 ohm and 15watts using 6mg/ml juice...... it's almost too much nic.... in my Kayfun I have a .9 ohm coil and Nic is almost too low.. in my Avocado I have a 1.1ohm coil that the 6mg is way too much nic.

For me nic demands vary. Big coil and big watts less nic small coil and small watts more nic.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I smoked for 40 years been vaping exclusively since Dec 2014.

I started vaping using a EGO1100 batteries and nautilus and protank atties... at 1.5 to 2.5 ohm unregulated... using 18 to 20mg/ml juice...... when I got my first Kayfun Builds when down to 1.2 to 1.7 ohms... juice down to 15mg/ml..... that covers July to Dec 2014......

Vaping today on a Serpent Alto at .3 ohm and 15watts using 6mg/ml juice...... it's almost too much nic.... in my Kayfun I have a .9 ohm coil and Nic is almost too low.. in my Avocado I have a 1.1ohm coil that the 6mg is way too much nic.

For me nic demands vary. Big coil and big watts less nic small coil and small watts more nic.

Oh..... I need to point out regardless the nic Mg/ml level of my juice I tend to use the same 50 to 75 mg of nic per day I did on day one..... if vaping 6mg I tend to vape about 10ml or so a day... if using 12 I vape about 5 to 6 ml. If vaping 3mg/ml around 20 ml a day of juice...

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started out at 12mg, but only because that is what my wife started out at and we shared juice. We went down in increments of 2mg every 2-3 months until we got down to 6mg. At this point, I began making DIY juice and discovered that I don't really need the nic, it's more the physical habit for me. So, without telling her, I began lowering it by 1mg every 2-4 weeks...she still has not noticed and we are down to 2mg now. At first though, I did tell her that a juice was 5mg instead of 6mg and after trying it she said she could tell. I thinks some of it is possibly a mindset thing (don't throw any rocks, it's just an unproven, unscientific theory). Of course, I'm not saying that droping 3, 4, or 5 mg is not noticeable. But maybe try dropping it 1mg at a time. For me it may also be that I just really want to get rid of the nic. It is the only part of mixing that I wear gloves for and since I have to wear gloves a fair amount at work, I really don't like wearing them at home.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I started at 24mg, then went to 18mg after a few months when I started to learn to build coils. After about 2 months, I went down to 15mg, and stayed there for about 6 or 7 months. Then I went down to 10mg for another 6 months, then went to 6mg where I'm at now. Tried 3mg a few times, but can't get the nic I need from it. Maybe I'll go to 5mg for a while. It'll give me an excuse to get back into DIY juice making.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like the majority of people did not stay at a certain nic level if it wasn’t satisfactory.

Guess I was looking for a little encouragement or success stories lol.

I just miss that throat hit and little head buzz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Street_hawk666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sounds like the majority of people did not stay at a certain nic level if it wasn’t satisfactory.

I'm on 1.5 to 2mg but I chain vape ..It's suits my needs I use squonks so more than likely using more than I would with a tank

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I started at 24 mg nearly three years ago with an Innokin iCLK & iTaste pen. I dropped to 18 mg Nic when I went to an Aspire Nautilus tank and iPV Mini (I think it was after about three months of pen Vaping). Three months later I dropped to 12 mg Nic). I got an Aspire Atlantus after three more months and dropped to 6 mg of Nic. About at that point I started to DIY my E-Juice, started frequent equipment purchasing, and started building my own coils (full on obsession/hobby). It may have been around three months when I dropped down to 3 mg Nic. I've basically have stayed at 3 mg Nic since then. I've been able to go over a week without Vaping (when needed) without Nic cravings. As my Nic supply starts to dwendle I plan on stepping down in one mg Nic increments until I'm at 0. I really enjoy Vaping so I don't foresee stopping completely.

You can do this. It may take some back and forth between levels of Nic but I firmly believe if you really want to get to 0 Nic you can with time. Regardless, the main thing is staying away from tobacco!

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I started at 24 mg nearly three years ago with an Innokin iCLK & iTaste pen. I dropped to 18 mg Nic when I went to an Aspire Nautilus tank and iPV Mini (I think it was after about three months of pen Vaping). Three months later I dropped to 12 mg Nic). I got an Aspire Atlantus after three more months and dropped to 6 mg of Nic. About at that point I started to DIY my E-Juice, started frequent equipment purchasing, and started building my own coils (full on obsession/hobby). It may have been around three months when I dropped down to 3 mg Nic. I've basically have stayed at 3 mg Nic since then. I've been able to go over a week without Vaping (when needed) without Nic cravings. As my Nic supply starts to dwendle I plan on stepping down in one mg Nic increments until I'm at 0. I really enjoy Vaping so I don't foresee stopping completely.

You can do this. It may take some back and forth between levels of Nic but I firmly believe if you really want to get to 0 Nic you can with time. Regardless, the main thing is staying away from tobacco!

I’m going to try to stick it out. I’m not really worried about nicotine side effects or anything. It’s just that the flavor is better and most people I make juice for use 3mg, so it makes it a little easier making recipes and sharing juice. I felt like my body was telling me to go lower as well. Everything seemed harsher than normal.

I started out at 12mg on an ego pen about 4 years ago. Went down to 9 and then 6 as more options started becoming available. I made those transitions easily. (Understandably, since wattage generally went up) so yeah, I’m gonna try and push through it.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Your miss understanding then....

in some cases nic does go down.... IF THAT is desired.....

Me I don't vape to reduce nic consumption.. I vape to get my nic fix cheaper than smoking.... cost being the goal at some point I'll actively work on nic reduction.

But.... the amount of nic in your juice isn't JUST based on you addiction...... the efficiency of vapor production has a really big affect on meeting those needs. As that affect dosage.

There is no this amount of nic per ml will help you quit... there is only the amount that works for you using the gear you have.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I'm not sure if its a nic craving or not. But before, I got a nice throat hit and would take a 2-3 second hit. I'm not getting that satisfying throat hit anymore so the i hit it a lot longer and chain vape like no tomorrow.

If you are missing the throat hit with a lowered nic level, try upping the PG content the next time you order E-Liquid.

Also, since I started DIY, I have been gradually lowering my nic level from 6 to 3mg in 1/2 % increments every few days and I have not really noticed the drop.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your miss understanding then....

in some cases nic does go down.... IF THAT is desired.....

Me I don't vape to reduce nic consumption.. I vape to get my nic fix cheaper than smoking.... cost being the goal at some point I'll actively work on nic reduction.

But.... the amount of nic in your juice isn't JUST based on you addiction...... the efficiency of vapor production has a really big affect on meeting those needs. As that affect dosage.

There is no this amount of nic per ml will help you quit... there is only the amount that works for you using the gear you have.

I think you’re misunderstanding the point of this thread. You really think I don’t know that nicotine dosage depends on your mod, coils, watts? I make my own eliquid and build my own coils. I know what goes into it.

Also, I’ve already stated I don’t care about getting my nicotine to zero.

The point of this thread is “how was your transition?” Did someone lower their nicotine dose and have the same thoughts as I? Did they stick to it and it eventually got better?

That’s what I want to know. I want to hear others experiences with lowering nicotine.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me juice consumption went up as nic went down. Nic has a lot of positive benefits so if I can get my nic fix vaping less total ml's per day that is probably best for my asthmatic lungs, and I won't be fogging up the house making my roomies wonder what is on fire. For most people sub ohming with pg based flavors the flavoring costs more per ml of juice than the nic does.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you’re misunderstanding the point of this thread. You really think I don’t know that nicotine dosage depends on your mod, coils, watts? I make my own eliquid and build my own coils. I know what goes into it.

Also, I’ve already stated I don’t care about getting my nicotine to zero.

The point of this thread is “how was your transition?” Did someone lower their nicotine dose and have the same thoughts as I? Did they stick to it and it eventually got better?

That’s what I want to know. I want to hear others experiences with lowering nicotine.

Ah, I honestly did not understand what you were asking then. Yes, as my wife and I stuck to it, it did get better. But I should say that I don't like throat hit, the only thing I have ever missed was the little buzz. But now I don't miss that at all and when I tried a 6mg recently, I really didn't like the feeling of it anymore. Hope that helps a little.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ah, I honestly did not understand what you were asking then. Yes, as my wife and I stuck to it, it did get better. But I should say that I don't like throat hit, the only thing I have ever missed was the little buzz. But now I don't miss that at all and when I tried a 6mg recently, I really didn't like the feeling of it anymore. Hope that helps a little.

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough in my OP. My bad. Thanks for you contribution. I’ve been doing alright today with the exception of dry hits because I’m hitting it so often and taking long hits.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
here is my story just because why not share it :) like most I started at 24 and as my progression in equipment came along my nic level dropped and the kind of nicotine I used changed. in the beginning I needed smooth nicotine but as I lowered my nic I experienced somewhat the same thing you are explaining. it just wasn't satisfying, not that the nicotine level wasnt right but it became almost to smooth. didnt get the TH I needed and was chain vaping with no end in sight I ended up getting vaperstek with a bite, that TH one they offer. that fixed that right up and I was satisfied again with my vape. once I settled into the style of vaping that I like and the equipment I like I stayed right at 6 for a couple years. no matter how hard I tried to go under 6 I couldn't do it. Id try it and by the end of the day I was mixing 6 again. then something happened about 6 moths or so ago and I just couldnt do 6mg anymore so I mixed it at 3 mg and that where I am today
I started getting that nic sick feeling for some reason and couldnt vape hardly at all.once I switched to 3 life was good, now I can vape zero all day no problem as far as nic cravings but the same scenerio of chain vaping my brains out. I love the flavor of zero mg and max VG but the TH just isnt there. Im a VG snob so upping PG is not an option so I stick with 3 mg most the time changing the nicotine I use made all difference in me being able to lower my. nic. so long story short I didnt stick it out I adapted :D

Last edited:

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
here is my story just because why not share it :) like most I started at 24 and as my progression in equipment came along my nic level dropped and the kind of nicotine I used changed. in the beginning I needed smooth nicotine but as I lowered my nic I experienced somewhat the same thing you are explaining. it just wasn't satisfying, not that the nicotine level wasnt right but it became almost to smooth. didnt get the TH I needed and was chain vaping with no end in sight I ended up getting vaperstek with a bite, that TH one they offer. that fixed that right up and I was satisfied again with my vape again. once I settled into the style of vaping that I like and the equipment I like I stayed right at 6 for a couple years. no matter how hard I tried to go under 6 I couldn't do it. Id try it and by the end of the day I was mixing 6 again. then something happened about 6 moths or so ago and I just couldnt do 6mg anymore so I mixed it at 3 mg and that where I am today
I started getting that nic sick feeling for some reason and couldnt vape hardly at all.once I switched to 3 life was good, now I can vape zero all day no problem as far as nic cravings but the same scenerio of chain vaping my brains out. I love the flavor of zero mg and max VG but the TH just isnt there. Im a VG snob so upping PG is not an option so I stick with 3 mg most the time but long story short changing the nicotine I use made all difference in me being able to lower my. nic. so long story short I didnt stick it out I adapted :D

Hmm might have to try that nicotine. We’ll see how it goes. You’re right though, the flavor of this GOC at 3mg is amazing

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Hmm might have to try that nicotine. We’ll see how it goes. You’re right though, the flavor of this GOC at 3mg is amazing

GOC would taste amazing mixed with shampoo and dog shit but Im bias I guess lmao

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
GOC would taste amazing mixed with shampoo and dog shit but Im bias I guess lmao

Lmao I’ll take you’re word on that. Btw it’s a pain in the ass making a 10ml GOC. How am I supposed to get .05 grams from a .02g dripper?

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Lmao I’ll take you’re word on that. Btw it’s a pain in the ass making a 10ml GOC. How am I supposed to get .05 grams from a .02g dripper?

who knows there may be a GOC concentrate lurking right around the corner in future ;)

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape low watts/high ohms @ 12mg. 5ml a day.

I dropped down to 8mg(a little at a time) and I just vaped more. So, I went back to 12mg and vape less.

So, to answer your question, the transition didn't work. If I drop my mg/ml I just vape more. And I vaped the lower mg for many months before going back to 12.

Vaping is fine and enjoyable but I don't want it to be a major portion of my day. For me, getting my nic fix once in a while @ 12mg is better than having a driptip stuck in my mouth all day. But, some people like to vape more often and that's fine too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for them.

RugBurnRed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I initially started vaping at 6mg and have gone back and forth between that and 3mg. I do go thru a bunch of juice each day it seems. I refill two SMM Serpents at least twice each day and add a third when I get home. I mix in a few RDA's thru the evening too. I have not been vaping long, right at 3 months if I recall correctly. I get a little phlem now and then, but am happy not to have the cigarette effects anymore. I just have spent way too much money is a very short amount of time. I am impulsive as hell sometimes and this black hole has me by the kahunas!
I'd say do what is right for you and where you feel comfortable. Wherever that is will always be better than smoking analogs IMO.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I initially started vaping at 6mg and have gone back and forth between that and 3mg. I do go thru a bunch of juice each day it seems. I refill two SMM Serpents at least twice each day and add a third when I get home. I mix in a few RDA's thru the evening too. I have not been vaping long, right at 3 months if I recall correctly. I get a little phlem now and then, but am happy not to have the cigarette effects anymore. I just have spent way too much money is a very short amount of time. I am impulsive as hell sometimes and this black hole has me by the kahunas!
I'd say do what is right for you and where you feel comfortable. Wherever that is will always be better than smoking analogs IMO.
The phlegm should go away the longer you stay away from cigs, at least it did for me.

Mazul

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A month ago I lowered my nic from 6mg to 5mg with no issues at all. Last night I decided to go from 5mg to 3mg and its been a little tough. My vape has turned into more of an oxygen mask now lol. I'm drawling a lot harder, taking longer hits to the point of eventually getting dry hits. This is rough lol.

How was your transition? Hard, easy, did you stick it out?
I can totally relate to that. I went from 6 down to 3 nic (I only use sub-ohm ATM) and I vaped at least 3 times as much juice for about a week. I wouldn't say it was rough ... at least not compared to transitioning from cigs to vape, but yeah I absolutely had to hit the vape alot harder.

My increased usage leveled off and 3 feels normal now. I make my own juice too so I'm not worried if I use more juice, and I do think my juices are less harsh at 3 than 6.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like most I started at 18mg a year ago and slowly cut down. I like the act of vaping as much as I like the nicotine. I'll chain vape like crazy, especially when driving alone.

I most certainly vape more due to cutting down to 4mg in my tanks, which I use during the day. Most nights, I'll drip at 1.5mg. Today, I made some juice at 2mg just to see what would happen because I was thinking that maybe I wanted a little more of a kick. I dripped it on a .22 clapton at 55 watts using a Voopoo Drag. After 5-6 hits, I started getting that nic sick feeling, which really isn't very pleasant. It is a 33% increase which is no small amount, but it illustrates how much I've adapted to the 1.5mg. I have no desire to drip at 2mg again, so I'll just add more nic and put it in a tank. Actually, I'm still feeling a little dizzy from it and that was 2 hours ago.

So, just for kicks, mix up some juice and increase the nic and see how it feels. If it feels good, maybe that's where you should be. If you get dizzy, maybe you're where you should be.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I started at 18 with occasional hits of 24 back in 2013. That got me off a 2 PAD cig habit in less than a week. A month or two later, I tried dropping to 12 but I found it unsatisfying. So I mixed the 12 I bought with some 18 I still had, ending up at 15 and stayed there for the better part of 3 years.

Late last year, I figured I might try reducing again. Since I'm totally DIY now, I have the flexibility to mix whatever strength I want. I cut 0.5 mg at a time. 14.5 for a while, then 14, them 13.5, and currently at 13. I'm watching my juice consumption fairly carefully because I don't think it makes any sense to cut the nic level if doing so just makes me vape more juice.

FWIW, I'm strictly an MTL vaper, using mechanical squonkers with small-chamber atties, generally around 0.75 ohms.

JmVape1988

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
it really depends on the flavor of your juice. I myself Im using 12mg. But I tried to lower my nic so far so good it really depends on the flavor.

VU Sponsors