Luc V4 vs Nitecore D4

Discussion in 'Chargers' started by zaroba, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Jon@LiionWholesale

[email protected] Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:

Not saying they've never had a problem but the failure rate is very small and definitely acceptable. We see a little lower failure rate than Efest, but both are good. Did you guys have the newer I2/I4? Or the 2014 or earlier one. The new one seems higher quality so far.

2. freemind

freemind Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Mine looked just like his. The last D4 I bought, I believe was in late 2015.

In any event, I know nothing is perfect and you are bound to get the occasional dud. However all three chargers I bought all died of the same cause. Dead bays. And Like Zaroba the I4 before it died, was having some issues with the springs in a few bays. Owning three of them in a row, has convinced me, that I can't trust their quality. My VC4 just works every time. The only issue I can complain about with it, is it just doesn't always automatically charge at .5 amps. Sometimes when you drop in a pair of batteries, you need to take them out and put them back in. Otherwise it will only charge them at .2 amps, like when you have 4 batteries in.

Lots of people seem happy with nitecore chargers. My experience just leads me to think of them otherwise.

3. freemind

freemind Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    P.S. Jon,
    Your link in your signature is not correct. It takes you to a blank page.

4. Jon@LiionWholesale

Blog Posts:
    OK yeah that's the older model, the newer one does seem better with the springs although it is pretty new so time will tell. But if you're happy with the XTAR then no reason to switch really. About your other message, I PMed you.

Edit: The D2/D4 are still the older design I think, I'm talking about the I2/I4

5. dev199505

dev199505 Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Really? Shit i have a couple extra batteries i might have to do that lol

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

6. Jon@LiionWholesale

Blog Posts:
    Yep, really! I did that when we had a power outage once, had a bunch of LUC chargers with batteries in them powering stuff haha.

7. Jim_MDP

Jim_MDP Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I almost used that feature yesterday. :p

Had to sit in the kitchen watching a recipe but couldn't find an available extension cord, and this little tablet/convertible has a USB port for the charger.
    Didn't need to do it... but I was ready to give it a go if it got low.

Do you know off hand what its charge rate in that mode is?

8. dev199505

dev199505 Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    How do you activate it? I tried it and it didnt work

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

9. Jon@LiionWholesale

Blog Posts:
    I don't know off-hand no, I believe it's 1A but it's possible it's 2A.

You have to have the charger not plugged in to the wall, then put a charged battery in the exact correct slot. It's slot 1 for the V2, slot 2 for the V4, and slot 3 for the V6 (why they made that so confusing I'll never know). Then plug in the USB cable to something and it should work. Depending on the model I think you have to hold the button for a few seconds after doing this so if it doesn't work at this point hold the button for a few seconds and it should work.

They definitely could have made it easier but it is nice in a pinch.

Jim_MDP likes this.
  10. zaroba

zaroba Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Minor update after 6 months of using the two LUC V4s in my truck.
    Both still work fine, use both almost daily, but don't monitor which is which. I just pull one out when I need to charge 4 batteries, and pull both out if I need to charge 8 batteries.

But, I did notice an issue with using them in a vehicle. If they are charging while my trucks generator turns on to charge the truck batteries, or if I start the trucks engine while they are charging, the slight decrease in power causes them to stop charging. The power loss isn't great enough to make them think they were completely unplugged, it just drops a bit low for them to operate causing the display to just flash. I then have to unplug and plug them back in so they resume charging the batteries. Not something 'game breaking', but an inconvenience.

The D4 did not have this issue, the decrease in power did effect them, but they would just reread the batteries and then resume charging them. I didn't have to do anything to 'fix' them.