Become a Patron!

Lunch box idea... DNA 200 question?

borderlinepro

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hey everyone, in the works of a dna lunch box with a hose to the 510... lots of grueling research has already been done...

My question is: Ill have 6ft power + and power - going from the chip to the 510... using 14 gauge copper wire. wire resistance is about .02 ohms.

Will this work? or will it cause problems?? i can post pics of a wiring diagram i worked on if someone chimes in ;)

borderlinepro

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
SNAWIREDIAGRAMfinal.jpg

TechnoGeek

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, I'm not too surprised no one as answered.

Let me preface my post with this... I am no expert, on vaping, electronics, or the DNA200....

That said, I am a network engineer, electronics is a hobby of mine, I love technology/gadgets....

While I think it's a really great idea, and I had thought about something similar I don't think it would work well, especially with something like the DNA200.

Here is why I think it would have issues.... The DNA200 is a VERY accurate device, and has to be, given the way it does temperature control with a material like stainless steel. So while the the resistance of 6 foot of copper wire isn't TOO high(about .01515 ohms for 6ft ), it will not consistently be .01515 ohms, it will fluctuate based on temperature AND this temperature fluctuation will vary based on the exact composition of the copper wire you use.

I know, you're probably thinking.... Yeah but, .01515 is SO small. You're right, but on a DNA200 that is a HUGE amount! An amount of .005 ohms can be the difference between temperature control working, or not!

Below is a screen shot from escribe, highlighted is the amount of resistance that is added from the DNA200 device itself, just by the board, the TINY wire(an inch or so...) connecting the board to the 510 pin, and the 510 itself......

upload_2016-4-20_11-16-6.png

So, while .01515 ohms is small, it's four times the current value of an average/typicla DNA200 device. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm sure it can. I'm just not sure it would be all that easy, or worth the effort.

I think you might have better luck, get better information on the DNA200 forums...

I'd suggest you try here :

http://evolvapor.forumchitchat.com/

TechnoGeek

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's the point of this device ? I guess I am missing something. :huh::huh:
I was wondering the same thing... My best guess is most DNA200 devices use Lipo 3s batteries, in the range of 900mah, to 1300mah. Depending on vaping, the 900mah will NOT make it through a day, the 1300mah, may or may not. MOST DNA200 devices do NOT have removable batteries....

So, I'm thinking the OPs purpose was to extend vaping time with a 'lunchbox' battery pack/DNA200 style device.

That said, the Reuleaux DNA200 would be a better option, or something like the Hotcig DX200 with easily removable/replaceable Lipo packs if you don't want the size of the Reuleaux DNA200. Just have a few extra batteries....unsnap dead battery, snap on a fresh one....I have the DX200, it's SMALL, but the 900mah battery life is horrible. You can get a 1300 mah battery, or an option for a dual 18650 pack, but both make it quite a bit bigger. That said, options are nice to have!

Hotcig dx200 --

upload_2016-4-20_11-40-2.png

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Reuleaux DNA200 and the HCigar DNA VT133 and both of them use 18650's. Seems like a better solution to the battery life issue. I can understand wanting to use a higher mah lipo.

TechnoGeek

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the Reuleaux DNA200 and the HCigar DNA VT133 and both of them use 18650's. Seems like a better solution to the battery life issue. I can understand wanting to use a higher mah lipo.

I too would agree. I was debating the Reuleaux DNA200, the DNA VT133, the Efusion DUO DNA133/DNA200, the Hotcig Dx200 as a few others.

I went with the Hotcig mostly because of the options(and I got a good deal on one used from this forum), and they're not overly priced if you catch them on sale. Last night the Hotcig dx200 was on sale for $109.00 at a US site(now it's $129.00 - which is still a good price for what you get), which is an awesome price. The 18650 battery option is an additional $29.95.They didn't have the 1300mah battery option, just an additional 900mah for $49.95, which is WAY too much. The 1300mah can be had for $50.00 from fasttech, BUT I found a discount code for 25% off, so $37.50 for the 1300mah battery shipped, and $22.50 for the 18650 with discount code.

So last night you could buy the DX200, and the optional 18650 battery pack for $139.95 shipped to your door... Gives you a DNA200, AND a DNA133, with the added benefit that the DNA200 is SMALL....

Anyway, options.... If I want a small device, I'll use it with the 900mah battery, if I need more battery, then I can go with either the 1300mah or the dual 18650, all with the same device, same settings/profiles/materials in escribe(other than battery). I ALMOST bought a second one last night....Even having 2 900Mah batteries, is a pretty good solution...So you have to swap batteries during the day....Ok, I do that now with my dual 18650 devices....

Anyway, sorry I think we/'I' hijacked this thread....

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I too would agree. I was debating the Reuleaux DNA200, the DNA VT133, the Efusion DUO DNA133/DNA200, the Hotcig Dx200 as a few others.

I went with the Hotcig mostly because of the options(and I got a good deal on one used from this forum), and they're not overly priced if you catch them on sale. Last night the Hotcig dx200 was on sale for $109.00 at a US site(now it's $129.00 - which is still a good price for what you get), which is an awesome price. The 18650 battery option is an additional $29.95.They didn't have the 1300mah battery option, just an additional 900mah for $49.95, which is WAY too much. The 1300mah can be had for $50.00 from fasttech, BUT I found a discount code for 25% off, so $37.50 for the 1300mah battery shipped, and $22.50 for the 18650 with discount code.

So last night you could buy the DX200, and the optional 18650 battery pack for $139.95 shipped to your door... Gives you a DNA200, AND a DNA133, with the added benefit that the DNA200 is SMALL....

Anyway, options.... If I want a small device, I'll use it with the 900mah battery, if I need more battery, then I can go with either the 1300mah or the dual 18650, all with the same device, same settings/profiles/materials in escribe(other than battery). I ALMOST bought a second one last night....Even having 2 900Mah batteries, is a pretty good solution...So you have to swap batteries during the day....Ok, I do that now with my dual 18650 devices....

Anyway, sorry I think we/'I' hijacked this thread....
Just FYI, you can get cheaper LiPo packs at HobbyKing.com, which I frequently use, due to my R/C hobby. Make sure to select the proper warehouse, before adding to cart, otherwise it will ship from China.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
hey everyone, in the works of a dna lunch box with a hose to the 510... lots of grueling research has already been done...

My question is: Ill have 6ft power + and power - going from the chip to the 510... using 14 gauge copper wire. wire resistance is about .02 ohms.

Will this work? or will it cause problems?? i can post pics of a wiring diagram i worked on if someone chimes in ;)
Assuming all the wiring is correct, you can set the mods resistance to the actual value in Escribe, and upload it to your mod. I even calibrated my Reuleaux DNA, and Whiteout to their true value.

TechnoGeek

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just FYI, you can get cheaper LiPo packs at HobbyKing.com, which I frequently use, due to my R/C hobby.

Thanks, yes, I was looking on that site to see if I could find a higher capicity battery to fit in the 900mah case/pack.... I wasn't having much luck.
Kind of a pain to click on each battery to read the description in order to see the battery dimensions. For the 900mah case I need a battery that is.....

19.8 x 26 x 70

Also the price I listed is the battery in hotcig's proprietary case, which I would need anyway as it's a bit bigger...

TechnoGeek

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Assuming all the wiring is correct, you can set the mods resistance to the actual value in Escribe, and upload it to your mod. I even calibrated my Reuleaux DNA, and Whiteout to their true value.
Curious, how far off were they.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks, yes, I was looking on that site to see if I could find a higher capicity battery to fit in the 900mah case/pack.... I wasn't having much luck.
Kind of a pain to click on each battery to read the description in order to see the battery dimensions. For the 900mah case I need a battery that is.....

19.8 x 26 x 70

Also the price I listed is the battery in hotcig's proprietary case, which I would need anyway as it's a bit bigger...
Look at the Zippy Compact LiPo packs only. I think they are all smaller than the other LiPo packs. I'm able to fit the http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...t_1300mAh_3S_25C_Lipo_Pack_AR_Warehouse_.html in my Whiteout, although it's slightly larger than the original.

borderlinepro

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for chiming in guys, yeah not sure if its the best idea, ill update when it gets built saturday or sunday...

The main idea is to have an extremely high mah lipo pack and possibly some extra features for the boxes that arent in the wire diagram..
;p

the temp control issue wont matter since it wont be used for anything other than kanthal... Im more worried about the load on the powercon connector at higher wattages, if the box does in fact work

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
something like this sounds like a good place to start would be the evolve early adopters forum but me thinks you might already know that and are reach out for more input.

borderlinepro

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
UPDATE : Finished the first one
wink.gif
... Works flawlessly on power mode... used 14g OFC wire for primarily the entire build

borderlinepro

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

This is simply a beta unit to see what kind of hose length I could achieve before stressing the battery, chip or connector too hard.

Plans are to add the following:

- 4 Port USB hub (will require wall input) (can be used to charge internal lipo)
- 2 - 4 hose setups (multiple chips)
- Higher MAH LiPos (5000mah+)
- Better Handheld Box design (smaller and give it come curvature)
- Potential for interchangable lids to the box (build deck lid/onthego lid)

anyone else have some good ideas to put into it???

TechnoGeek

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice, I like it. I'm curious though, especially with the expansion ideas... Why do you need 2-4 hose setups?

I did see something like this before, it was on the Evolve forums... I believe someone who works at Evolve made it... In their design, the only thing the cable supplied was power, it connected to a powerless mod on the end. If I remember correctly they just used a heavy duty ac/dc power supply that plugged into the wall. It was used to demo the DNA200 chips....might have had connection for 8 or more...

VU Sponsors