Become a Patron!

Luxyoun Smaug 150 watt mod

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This week I've been running a big dripper, at .3 ohm, 150 watts. I usually do a mechanical box with .5 and under, but wanted to just give the Smaug a good workout this week. Other than draining the batteries pretty quick, works great. Using it daily for a month now.

View attachment 14863

Have you tested the output to see if you are truly getting 150 watts?

Mr. Furious

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have you tested the output to see if you are truly getting 150 watts?
I haven't.. A multi-meter is next on my shopping list. Still waiting on my battery tester from Gearbest... I would have gladly spent the extra $10 if I knew it would've saved me a MONTH wait.

Flynic3

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I ordered from Luxyoun Directly for the record... not off of alibaba nor was the item a clone.

TheCapt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been selling Luxyoun for several months now and deal directly with the factory, and here are some things we have seen.

More than 50% of the Unik V2 wood boxes we have sold have ended up with the customers needing to return their items either for the item being shorted out / chip burnt up OR for issues related to the wood box cracking due to shrinkage in warm dry heat and also because of the battery door becoming warped and not fitting right when that occurs. We are not talking about a small sample size of units, either. At first, I just thought we were dealing with many customers who were new to high power box mods and/or abusing the devices with low ohms or something else, but the frequency of the problems leads me to believe there is still some bigger problem with their chips or manufacturing.

On the plus side, so far, Luxyoun has quickly and courteously replaced defective items for us without any problem or hassle.

Currently, the Smaug V1 and Smaug V2 (yes, there really is a Smaug V2) have, so far, been experiencing a defect / return rate that is much lower, but we have steadily been receiving new reports daily from customers with V2 Smaug issues. The return/defect rate for these, so far, is more around 5% - 10%.

So, I am not sure why the wood Unik V2 ones seem to have so many more issues than the Smaug V1 and V2 with the same chip, but those are the numbers from here...

Happy vaping.

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its possible, -albeit unlikely- they ran 2 different chip productions...didn't the unik release a few weeks before the Smaug? If so, that is several thousand chips that were first-run productions that were used in the unik mods. Perhaps the second production run was better, or revised, thus, the lower return rate in the Smaug mods.

TheCapt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You may be correct. I believe one of the noted differences on the Smaug V2 vs Smaug V1 was "latest updates to SX1500 chip".....

Hope they get those updates on the wood box soon, if that is the case!!

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You may be correct. I believe one of the noted differences on the Smaug V2 vs Smaug V1 was "latest updates to SX1500 chip".....

Hope they get those updates on the wood box soon, if that is the case!!

And of course, one cannot discount the fact that people are buying the cloned versions of these mods, as well. That never helps.

TheCapt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just because you do not have a QC card does not mean you have a clone.

In fact, due to the mod's relative newness and tiny sales volume, it is more likely that there are actually no clones at all out there and every last one of them comes from Luxyoun. I have personally opened devices straight from Luxyoun that did not have a QC card. More than anything, I think it just goes to show you about their QC :)

Just because you can find plenty of vendors on Alibaba and DHL for the items does not mean they are selling clones. They just get them from Luxyoun and resell them.

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree for the most part...however. They ARE advertising some as clones. If not in the title, in the description.

A wary/inquisitive purchaser is a happy purchaser.

TheCapt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There are also plenty of companies trying to put their own name and white label the Luxyoun wood box as their own brand which you may be mistaking for clones.

Those kind in particular are not clones, but actually made by Luxyoun for the other parties as long as the other parties meet minimum order requirements and the items are 100% exactly the same and made by Luxyoun, and again, not clones.

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok...but.I'm telling you they SAY "clone" in the listing, or title. Jeez...lol.

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
THANK YOU @TheCapt !!! Finally a vendor that isn't playing bullshit games.

I don't recall anyone saying they were problem-free mods...just that ours were functioning as advertised. Your complaint was fingerprints, and described features...that's why we were ripping on you, @freemind.

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just because you do not have a QC card does not mean you have a clone.

And, btw, in my video, I stated, "just because you have a certificate of.authenticity, does NOT mean its authentic. Those can be.printed..." so I'm nof sure why you said that...

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't recall anyone saying they were problem-free mods...just that ours were functioning as advertised. Your complaint was fingerprints, and described features...that's why we were ripping on you, @freemind.

What I posted were my INITIAL impressions. Did it not say that smart ass? Several people wanted to know what I thought of the mod, BEFORE they laid out the cash on one.

You can poke fun at the fingerprints all you want. It's a stupid way to make a mod, because it DOES look shitty with smears all over it. WTF would be wrong with the box being made of SOLID metal, and putting their graphic on the side like every other maker does?

There are lots more issues, other than the fingerprint issue. So, while you are concentrating on ONE thing I don't like, you are missing the bulk of what I dislike about the mod. I honestly think you did this to try and detract from the overall initial review of this mod. This isn't my first mod, and I am not impressed with what Luxyoun is pumping out.

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What I posted were my INITIAL impressions. Did it not say that smart ass? Several people wanted to know what I thought of the mod, BEFORE they laid out the cash on one.

You can poke fun at the fingerprints all you want. It's a stupid way to make a mod, because it DOES look shitty with smears all over it. WTF would be wrong with the box being made of SOLID metal, and putting their graphic on the side like every other maker does?

There are lots more issues, other than the fingerprint issue. So, while you are concentrating on ONE thing I don't like, you are missing the bulk of what I dislike about the mod. I honestly think you did this to try and detract from the overall initial review of this mod. This isn't my first mod, and I am not impressed with what Luxyoun is pumping out.

Your initial issues were all advertised as features of the mod. If you didn't like the features, why buy it? If you wanted an all metal box, buy one. If you wanted a spring loaded 510, buy one. If you wanted a magnetic back, buy one. If you wanted something different, BUY ONE. You bought EXACTLY what the manufacturer described, then cried when you got it...THAT'S why we were ripping.on you.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
And, btw, in my video, I stated, "just because you have a certificate of.authenticity, does NOT mean its authentic. Those can be.printed..." so I'm nof sure why you said that...
And like HE said, just because you THINK you got a clone, doesn't mean you got one. Like he said, there isn't enough sold, nor enough demand, for this to be cloned.

Pretty sure Luxyoun would sell these bulk for a VERY good price, to anyone. I highly doubt Sigelei would consider selling small sample lots, like Luxyoun is. Luxyoun is HUNGRY to sell these mods. They have no real following, and I doubt they will either.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Your initial issues were all advertised as features of the mod. If you didn't like the features, why buy it? If you wanted an all metal box, buy one. If you wanted a spring loaded 510, buy one. If you wanted a magnetic back, buy one. If you wanted something different, BUY ONE. You bought EXACTLY what the manufacturer described, then cried when you got it...THAT'S why we were ripping.on you.
And they advertised a 1 year warranty too. Where are those magic beans, Jack?

And what about the 150 advertised watts? Where are those?!

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I.received an authentic...lol. So that argument.is moot.
Because it was not advertised as a clone?

Apparently you have reading comprehension problems. He just told you NO ONE is producing a clone of Luxyoun's products.

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Because it was not advertised as a clone?

Apparently you have reading comprehension problems. He just told you NO ONE is producing a clone of Luxyoun's products.

You are literally too stupid to breathe. He said he doubts they are. Do YOU have reading comprehension probs? Lol

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Please show us WHAT factory is pumping out these clones. Because there isn't one. You know it, and so do I.

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Please show us WHAT factory is pumping out these clones. Because there isn't one. You know it, and so do I.

Check Alibaba's website THEY.are.advertising Luxyoun clones. The pics of it was posted a few pages back. If your head was removed from the deepest realms of your ass, you would've seen it. But you were probably too busy seeing how many fingerprints you could put in 1sq. inch on your plexiglas to bitch about later.

If you are too lazy to check a few mouse clicks back, then you've lost all reason/excuse to bitch about it. But I'm sure you'll find another one. lol.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
On and On and On and On she goes.

Sorry, I don't give a fuck about what you think.

Cry me a river Alice.

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On and On and On and On she goes.

Sorry, I don't give a fuck about what you think.

Cry me a river Alice.
Lmao! You.are the one crying, cupcake. I'm enjoying my mod. You are bitching...I'm vaping. Lol

A classic example of how delusional you are. Lol

Flynic3

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A 5%-10% failure rate is normal in anything I have seen manufactured in China... however a 50% failure rate is a much different story! My issue is Luxyoun is not working with me at all! They told me they would take care of it if I would send them $2,000... Now why would I invest that kind of money in a product that failed 100% for my personal order? Before we got to this point I was simpy asking for assistance in trying to fix the mod as I believe I could repair it. They would not even assist me with this and were beyond rude with me. I have already posted my discussion with Merry however I should send you the conversation I had with my Sales representative!

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A 5%-10% failure rate is normal in anything I have seen manufactured in China... however a 50% failure rate is a much different story! My issue is Luxyoun is not working with me at all! They told me they would take care of it if I would send them $2,000... Now why would I invest that kind of money in a product that failed 100% for my personal order? Before we got to this point I was simpy asking for assistance in trying to fix the mod as I believe I could repair it. They would not even assist me with this and were beyond rude with me. I have already posted my discussion with Merry however I should send you the conversation I had with my Sales representative!

So why do you think "The Capt" is getting excellent customer service for returns from Luxyoun, and you are not?

Flynic3

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Very simple... He is still sending them money.

TheCapt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Since we have only sold the 150 watt Luxyoun items, do you think the same problems occur in the 100 watt and 50 watt versions, or is it limited to the 150?

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Since we have only sold the 150 watt Luxyoun items, do you think the same problems occur in the 100 watt and 50 watt versions, or is it limited to the 150?

Most likely it is just the 150watt mods. If I remember correctly, they have different chips. The 150 has the SX1500 chip, and the 50/100 has the SX350 chipsets. I could be wrong, since I only researched the 150watts extensively.

TheCapt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Chipsets:
150 Watts = SX1500
100 Watts = SX1000
50 Watts = SX500
30 Watts = SX300

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea...I.didn't put as much effort into researching the others...lol. Its probably just the chipset...but Idk. That's purely speculation.

I'm not wanting to get into the pissing match, but I have had my unit for about a month. Bought it used and I am happy with it. I'll never use it at 150w, 50w works just fine for me. I have no bitches about it except for mine shows the temp in Celsius and I haven't figured out if and how to change it. But that's more of a gripe not a bitch. Lol. I do know that some of the smaug units don't show the temp, they show the voltage (power) to match the watts. Not to be confused with the battery life though. I saw it in a closeup in a review, one of the very few reviews out there.

4biddenArtist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OK (cracks knuckles) Here we go.
I purchased my luxyoun Dragon smaug mod on February 2nd and received it within 5 days time. I got the blue 150 watt box mod. I am using sony vt5 18650's I have been vaping on it almost exclusively at night after I get off of work and sometimes take it into the car with me if I feel like having it during the day. I vape on an eleaf istick 30 and 50 usually during my work day as I have a neat holster that the istick 50 fits into perfectly and a lanyard for the istick 30.
I have tested the smaug 150 at all watts and must concur with the other posters that the watts are not true to the readings. But before I get into that I will explain my testing setup.IMG_20150224_190255.jpgIMG_20150224_190337.jpg IMG_20150224_190507.jpg
I am testing the smaug using a project sub ohm mutation x version 3 dual .3 ohm build with 26 gauge kanthal a1 wire. each coil is at 8 wraps.
*First inconsistency; I noticed is the ohm reading on this unit. For this build the actual ohm reading on my meter is .46 and as tested on my isticks and confirmed @ .4 ohms. However the smaug reads at .3 this has been a hassle because if I build an actual .3 ohm coil the smaug says "short protection" so I can really only build like a .4 something or above.

*second and HAZARDOUS inconsistency; If you are vaping on the smaug at lets say it reads a .5 ohm coil and then decide to swap out heads to a .2 coil it WILL STILL READ .5 OHMS AND FIRE!!!! The way I am able to avoid this is by turning the unit off and back on or by pressing the fire button when there is no automizer on it. This is a very scary safety defect. But since I have found it I make sure that I press the fire button when switching out my atomizers/ tanks. This clears the ohm reader and it displays x.x ohms which makes it measure the ohms upon the next firing sequence.

*Third inconsistency; WATTS. well yea all I can say is WATT the fuck! To get the same vapor production on my mutation x as i do at 50 watts on the istick i must fire at 115 to 120 watts. I am no expert and there may be other factors such as voltage that play a role in this phenomena, being as my istick regulates this build to 4.4 volts and the Smaug is consistently draining the volts from the batteries. But I tested this at 3.8 volts on my smaug at 2.4 second pulls.

Now with these problematic things being said

*First plus; Price... I spent $85 on this mod and it is well worth it!

*Second Plus; USB CHARGING ON DUAL 18650's!!! Yes I charge this thing exclusively using the USB charging port. It charges in about 5-6 hours fully when using my eleaf wall charger @ 2amps and considerably slower at lower amps also I have found that when charging with a lower amp device it will only charge to about 4.1, But when using a higher amp USB it stops charging at 4.23. It does charge when the unit is off as well and i like this but is does not indicate that it is charging when the power to the smaug is turned off and that is kind of bothersome.

*Third plus; Batteries are snug fitting and the unit is durable. It accidently fell out of my pocket once when getting out of my truck bounced off my seat and landed on the concrete! Only minor scratching to the exterior of a corner on the metal! Still works fine.

*Fourth plus It feels good to make people drop their jaws when they see you vaping at 150 watts!! lol I just had to put that in there even though I know its not a true 150.

Overall, in my opinion this is a sleek nice beginning box mod with bells and whistles and I can only hope to see it evolve. THey already have a version two out with spiffyer buttons and a magnetic back! And one can only assume/hope they will be releasing USB chip updates to download to your unit to increase the power and performance and deal with the bugs. I like it and for my first box mod I can honestly say I am pleased with it.

Note. I will be editing this post to put up the pics but i must do that using my tablet.

Have a cloudy daze!

Last edited:

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine adjusts voltage.for the build you put on it. For example:

0.5ohm build @50watts = 6.0volts.
1.0ohm build @50watts = 12.0volts.
1.5ohm build @50watts = 15.0volts

The higher the voltage, the quicker the firing process, and warmer the vape...from what I've seen/experienced...I don't have a volt meter, or I would test it.

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The highest I have seen the voltage is 17.x volts. But that's without an RDA attached to it, @150watts.

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its like the "default" voltage that pops up if you remove your RDA, and fire the mod @150w

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
where does it display voltage besides under the battery indicator??
your unit looks like this right?View attachment 15417 @Cloudy_Redneck

Mine reads the voltage right below the battery voltage.
Some Smaug mods have been said to read temp...some read voltage. That is why I find it plausible that there are clones. NOWHERE on Luxyoun's website does it say their mod has a temp readout on the display.....but there are mods out there that have that option........why would Luxyoun NOT mention that feature if it were an option...?

Cloudy_Redneck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The vaping voltage drops as your battery life drops.as.well.....

4.1v battery life @50w = 6.8v
3.6v battery life @50w = 4.9v

VU Sponsors