1. LIVE: DISCUSSWELLNESS.COM LAPTOP GIVEAWAY: *NOW OPEN*

VAPING UNDERGROUNDS FORUM SOFTWARE IS BEING UPGRADED.

MA-No more menthol cigarettes: New ban on tobacco, vape flavors

Discussion in '#BANTHIS' started by lordmage, Nov 27, 2019.

1. lordmage

lordmage Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Gold Contributor ECF Refugee Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts’ governor signed into law Wednesday a groundbreaking ban on the sale of flavored tobacco and vaping products, including menthol cigarettes.

Republican Gov. Charlie Baker’s signature makes Massachusetts the first to enact a permanent statewide ban, anti-smoking groups said.

It immediately bans the sale of flavored vaping products and will outlaw sales of menthol cigarettes starting June 1, 2020.

The American Cancer Society’s Cancer Action Network said it hoped the new law would send a message to an industry accused of using flavored products to introduce teenagers to smoking.

“More than 80% of teens who have ever used a tobacco product started with a flavored product, and the tobacco industry knows this,” the organization said in an emailed statement.

Matthew Myers, president of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, called it “a critical step to help end the worsening youth e-cigarette epidemic and stop tobacco companies from using appealing flavors to lure kids into a lifetime of addiction.”

In September, Baker had declared a public health emergency and ordered a temporary ban on the sale of all vaping products — flavored and unflavored.

Baker said Wednesday he’ll keep that ban in place until Dec. 11 while his administration drafts additional regulations.

The new law responds to growing concern about the health effects of vaping products, including deaths.

The law also places a 75% excise tax on vaping products and require health insurers, including the state’s Medicaid program, to cover tobacco cessation counseling.

“This nation-leading step will save lives,” Democratic House Speaker Robert DeLeo said.

The ban was passed by the Senate on Nov. 21 before the legislature broke for a holiday recess. It had earlier been passed by the state House of Representatives.

Studies have shown menthol cigarettes are consumed disproportionately by young people and minorities, and anti-tobacco groups and health experts have argued menthol has been marketed in particular to African Americans.

A major retailers’ organization called the legislation disappointing.

“We are disappointed the legislature supports bills that disproportionately impact communities of color and have disastrous implications for public health, public safety, state tax revenue and jobs in the Commonwealth,” Jonathan Shaer, president of the New England Convenience Store Owners and Energy Marketers Association said in a statement.

He called menthol and mint tobacco as “legal, adult products that aren’t associated with youth overuse.”

Source: https://apnews.com/59e349c46ac1433a9df357cd8652f1e4

SnapDragon NY likes this.
  2. SnapDragon NY

SnapDragon NY VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years VU SWAT

Blog Posts:
    There will be Anarchy over all of this- Riots- take away peoples menthol cigarettes or flavored vapes- there will be hell to pay!
    How the hell are they going to accomplish this ban- throw people in jail over menthol cigarettes or vape products?
    It didn't work for prohibition and it sure won't work for these tobacco and ecigarette flavor bans-

Rhianne, VapeJunkie and Vape Fan like this.
  3. Pastorfuzz

Pastorfuzz Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Looks like Mass is trying to be another California!

VapeJunkie likes this.
  4. Anibird

Anibird Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    This is ridiculous. Welcome to Communism. :(

Rhianne and VapeJunkie like this.
  5. lordmage

lordmage Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Gold Contributor ECF Refugee Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    Well companies wont risk there profit or there legal status so they will have to comply and if other states near by stay legal then say hello to black markets or longer trips to bulk buy that's why some places what to make it legal to seize your car over vaping.

Rhianne and VapeJunkie like this.
  6. lordmage

Blog Posts:
    If there not voted out the bans will stay hell i wont be surprised to see everything on the ballot be rigged to vote ban or not get this funding for you school. Or vote fir this and a ban you get the general idea.

Rhianne likes this.
  7. VapeJunkie

VapeJunkie Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
  8. lordmage

Blog Posts:
    Title:
    The Latest: Vaping industry slams ban on flavored products

BOSTON (AP) — The Latest on Massachusetts becoming the first state to ban flavored tobacco and vaping products, including menthol cigarettes (all times local):

5:15p.m.

The vaping industry is criticizing Massachusetts’ new statewide ban on flavored tobacco and vaping products as the wrong approach to the problem of youth vaping.

The Vapor Technology Association says that instead of the ban, a better strategy is raising the age to purchase tobacco and nicotine vapor products to 21.

The D.C.-based trade group also suggests imposing stricter marketing standards on smoking companies, among other measures.

The organization has sued Massachusetts over its prior, temporary ban on all vaping products, flavored or unflavored. That ban is set to lift Dec. 11.

Gov. Charlie Baker signed into law Wednesday a bill that restricts the sale and use of flavored tobacco and vaping products, including menthol cigarettes, to cigar bars, hookah lounges and other licensed smoking establishments.

__

12:15 p.m.

An industry group is criticizing Massachusetts’ new statewide ban on flavored tobacco and vaping products, including menthol cigarettes, as intrusive and costly.

The New England Convenience Store and Energy Marketers Association says in a statement that the legislation Republican Gov. Charlie Baker signed Wednesday will fuel the black market and cost the state millions in tax revenue.

The group says it’s considering its options to ensure that adult customers have a right to buy legal smoking products.

Baker in September declared a public health emergency and ordered a temporary ban on the sale of all vaping products.

He says he’ll keep that ban in place until Dec. 11 while his administration drafts additional regulations.

___

10:45 a.m.

Anti-smoking groups are praising the governor of Massachusetts for signing the first statewide ban on flavored tobacco and vaping products, including menthol cigarettes.

Marc Hymovitz is Massachusetts director of government relations for the American Cancer Society’s Cancer Action Network. He says Republican Gov. Charlie Baker “made history for Massachusetts” by signing the ban into law Wednesday.

The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is calling the ban “a landmark victory for kids and public health over the tobacco industry.”

Campaign president Matthew Myers says Massachusetts is taking bold action as the Trump administration appears to back away from a tough nationwide approach.

Baker says states can do only so much to address the public health emergency around e-cigarettes and other vaping products.

He says it’s “increasingly clear” that the federal government “isn’t going to act decisively.”

___

10:15 a.m.

The governor of Massachusetts has signed into law a groundbreaking ban on the sale of flavored tobacco and vaping products, including menthol cigarettes.

The American Cancer Society and the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids say Republican Gov. Charlie Baker’s signature makes Massachusetts the first to enact a permanent statewide ban.

Baker signed the legislation Wednesday morning.

The governor in September declared a public health emergency and ordered a temporary ban on the sale of all vaping products.

Baker said he’ll keep that ban in place until Dec. 11 while his administration drafts additional regulations.

The new law responds to growing concern about the health effects of vaping products.

It immediately bans the sale of flavored vaping products and will outlaw sales of menthol cigarettes starting June 1, 2020.

source:https://apnews.com/8d53b341d6ef44e2a500a9a75ae96882

Rhianne likes this.
  9. Rhianne

Rhianne Diamond Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Ooh la la. Great one. :giggle:

VapeJunkie likes this.
  10. Rhianne

Blog Posts:

This makes me wonder how much Baker got from Bloomberg to enact this ban.

lordmage likes this.
  11. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Voted out or not I expect that the menthol cig part may get revoked but the flavor ban and such will stay no matter the ones in charge.

Rhianne and lordmage like this.
  12. lordmage

Blog Posts:
    i also have this feeling. sadly enough they dont even have to have them with the deeming they just wants to do it faster so they can get more MSA next year i bet.

VapeJunkie, Rhianne and The Cromwell like this.
  13. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Whatever the reason and I think there is more than 1 or two, virtually no politician will fight for vaping. Just the way it is.
    btw they actually get more money from taxes than MSA on tobacco products.

Rhianne and lordmage like this.
  14. Rhianne

Blog Posts:
    Since apparently the menthol cig ban will affect lower income or minority communities, they’ll probably get up in arms about it and reverse it fairly quickly.
    But you’re right, no one will really fight for vapers rights. And with May getting closer, we’re basically screwed. Unless a miracle occurs!

15. Rhianne

Blog Posts:
    I just heard from someone on the mixing thread that MA is banning food flavors. Like you can’t order flavors online for diy juice.

16. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    I can see that if they come from a vape distributor. Or a brand that signifies for use in vaping. But otherwise no.
    Same as the Deeming regs intent thing.

Rhianne likes this.
  17. Rhianne

Blog Posts:
    I think he tried to order from Bull City or some place like that. I’m worried about what will happen in NY.

Btw, I just mixed my first 50ml of your custard. It’s yummy. I vaped it right away, I was hard up for juice.

18. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    I have concerns for bull city. they cleaned up the legal status with their name change from Bull City vapors to Bull City flavors then they started the recipe pack thing or whatever it is called. Linking them right back into vaping.
    don't get me wrong I like them and they are my go to flavor place I would just hate to lose them next may.
    of course I would still be able to get my flavorings someplace else, but...