Become a Patron!

mad dog gta/rta question

mrjgriffin413

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so i got mine in the mail a couple weeks back and i didnt have all the tools to properly build on it so i took it to a shop where i had a guy throw me a build on it for 5 dollars. he was recommended by a friend and has been building for 4 years. the friggin cotton burnt out the same day. he tried "his own build" on it instead of using one of the included coils i've seen reviewers praise. i also noticed he didnt "fluff" the ends out on the cotton when he wicked it. i expected to be able to chain vape a little on it but no it quickly burnt out and i was mad.....i really wanna drop subohm tanks. has anyone else experienced bad wicking on this tank? did the builder make a mistake by not fluffing the cotton out? i think he also used garbage cotton. i didn't see cotton bacon v2 in the store. what do u think the issue was? i want to go buy some cotton bacon v2 and order one of those boxes of prebuilt coils and start my building journey and go to flavor heaven. what do you guys think went wrong? i was vaping at 80 watts and the build came out to .18 so not too high off a wattage to vape at i dont think.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like he didn't wick it correctly. I use Koh gen Do organic cotton. Like most RDTA when you wick it, fluff and straiten/thin the tails. Also the tails should go down in the holes and trimmed, not into the tank and certainly not to the bottom of the tank. Also insure the cotton hasn't been packed too tight.

I've been really digging mine and zero issues.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, you really need to learn to build yourself

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I have the Mad Dog set. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd better. I have to do a review on it!

I've been building for a while but I've outgrown the KA1. @mrjgriffin413 I have a bunch if wire for you to practice and enjoy. PM me for free wire!

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
@r055co Your avi at first sight is, WTH. Then when I see your animation I'm saying WTF? LOL

Dagoroth

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
80 watts on a 0.15 coil should be decent, that's under powering it if anything. Sounds like he just used too much cotton so that it wasn't wicking enough. Another reason Why i quit buying RTA's, you either under wick them and leak everywhere, or over wick them and get dry hits and have to take it all apart AGAIN. I just stick either to pre made coil, sub ohm tanks like the Smok beast lineup, the Wismec Gnome or I use RDTA's The only time you really screw RDTA's up is if you dont put the wick down into the tank or put too much through the coils which is not hard to gauge at all.

xtommytx123

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't tried the mad dog but I have been using rta tanks for a while. It is all about the wicking and what works best for that individual tank/build. My favorite is the coil art mage, I got one for me and then bought one for my gf And hers is definetly not finicky with how it is wicked. It took me about a full hour with each tank to get them just rite and sometimes I still don't put enough wick where it needs to be and I get joos oozing out of the airflows.
It also could be a hot spot in the build, you should realy sit down and mess with an rda first and kind of get the hang of wrapping coils and working out hot spots and getting the wicking on those rite first. I started with a troll rda and a sub tank plus for rebuilding way back when (years ago).
I'd say grab a cheap o clone old school rda like maybe a plume veil (something with 4 post holes) and something like the coil master build kits and some wire and do some research on ohms and stuff and mess around a bit (safely of course), or have your buddy at the shop show you how to build.
Sorry for the lengthy answer but I am not sure how new you are to vaping or if you evin know how to build. I hope this helped and if you have any questions or need help let me know, I would be happy to help!

VU Sponsors