Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey all,

Sorry to say I have an old back injury that has gotten the best of me recently. I used to race MX back in the day and have a cumulative back injury, and it flared up with a vengeance!

I keep trying to get up and work as soon as it hurts a little less and Tylenol suppresses it enough - worse when it wears off LOL. Hard to stay idle, but I'm trying to be "lazy", and it's getting better. Feels OK for a while before fatiguing - better than last week's attempts! Couldn't even walk for a few days at first.

I'll check in again soon and hopefully have some video of the radius jig in action sanding the radii into the Mod V Dragon body - should be a short one!

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey bud, let's party...

About 90% back to normal - been busy. The large twin holders are complete; soon, I'll deal with packing for shipping. They're pretty heavy.

The contour sanding of the Dragon body is complete - video to follow!

I've started a new Mod - cool Afzelia burl block from Africa:
34444554194_c5a744b0dc_c.jpg

It'll be a DNA250 Model II. We've named it the Oba Mod, Oba meaning King from the area of Africa where most Afzelia grows.

I'll occasionally post pics of the blank as it's shaped.

Talk soon,

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Gang -

Hope everyone had a great Father's Day weekend. We hung around home and tried to stay cool...
34600511173_e7885ec83e_c.jpg

This was two days ago, I think. Always in the shade, just below our little summertime inflatable pool.

It was the start of our current heatwave! About 102 yesterday, should be a little higher today and the peak is supposed to be Wednesday - with 108 forecast.

The (uninsulated) shop was about 120 yesterday! I've been doing some work early before the temps rise too much. Doesn't get much below 90 until nearly midnight. So there's that...

I noticed a blemish in the finish on one of the large holders that I previously reported as being finished. No worries I thought; some sanding to the one edge, and a quick spray with a touch up gun.

Long story short - Some older blue 2" wide painters tape (not supposed to adhere - just lightly stick) adhered to the holder where applied to prevent overspray. It was on the holder less than two minutes and it pulled the clear finish off in several places. Grrrr. Now a one hour rework job has turned into several hours. The old tape must have summer heated too much and the adhesive became much more sticky. In the trash it went - the tape, not the holder!

Some light on the horizon! Well, with the heat at least. I just bought a "giant" portable evaporative cooler to try and help with our sometimes $600+ electric bills during the summer months because of central A/C use. Our humidity is very low out here (as low as 10-15%), and the initial results look good - no A/C use the last couple days with 100+ temps.

A side benefit is the unit is a Honeywell C060PM indoor/outdoor unit, and I'm eyeing it for cooling the shop. Sure would help this time of year.

So, blistering heat this week - sure to see this from time to time for the next few months. Hopefully, the cooler helps put me in the shop more hours this summer.

Talk to 'ya later -

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey -

Well, we've been ping-ponging temperatures here; 92 one day, 105 the next. We hit 107 on at least three days the last couple weeks. The new cooler seems to work for extending workable temperatures in the shop. I'll have to look into getting another unit just for shop cooling.

If you've checked out the Sleeping Dragon Mod thread, you know that the body is near completion. This is a 26650 Model V in solid brass & black, with a matching stabwood body.

The next Mod on the workbench is a Model II in Afzelia burl - seen a couple posts above. It will be a DNA250 with the ability to use multiple LiPo battery capacities with the use of shims or spacers made from the left over pieces of the block. I've gotten the pieces cut with the bandsaw, and have the main block (body) milled smooth and to final sanding size:

34822478693_fba64fe63b_c.jpg

Door slab on the left, shim pieces on the right.
35500958961_4973947d4c_c.jpg
35244568410_1df7026929_c.jpg

The "no door" side and top of the Mod blank on the mill. The right pic is the slab that will become the door.

Next, I'll determine if I can use a "trick" to extract a chunk of material large enough to make a drip tip or two from the material that now occupies the area that will become the cavity in the body -

Cheers,

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Happy Independence Day Vapers!

34876989454_05f902c980_z.jpg

Have a great day - enjoy some fireworks tonight

Be responsible and don't let children play with fireworks

Leave that to the adults - that have been drinking all day

:cheers::drunk::vino::zombie:

C Ya-

Rick​

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Someone left the furnace on again! 102 yesterday, and the peak is supposed to hit 109-110 degrees on Saturday!!

That's great for relaxing the day away in the pool with a drink - but sucks for trying to stay in the shop much past 9am even with the big, new cooler. Doesn't cool off out there till pretty late in the evening as well.

The Oba Mod is just starting it's journey on the mill - more to come.

Stay cool and vaped!

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Guys (and girls, of course),

Sorry for the absence, been busy with several projects. Still playing with the heat here - 110 for the next couple or few days!

Got a new polishing rig for the lathe; produces great results faster than I thought possible. Here's a quick video of polishing and some quick cell pics of a component test fit of a DNA75 Mod in production - the Sleeping Dragon:

A few pics after polishing:
36712629351_6f43f63fd3_c.jpg

36712629211_1bffd1f19a_c.jpg

36712629101_3a684d4739_c.jpg

The tube is reflecting the chandelier above the table - you can see the reflection of two of the lights and their arms just to the left of the tube on the body - shiny!

Next is assembly of the faceplate components, and then testing with power before starting final assembly - whoo hoo!

Take care,

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Beautiful work Rick, stay healthy! I'm waiting for the squonk mods!!!!! A DNA75C would be great!
Thanks much - this Mod has taken a long time. I knew documenting it would stretch out the production. Other existing projects and my "crap shoot" health have taken their toll as well - LOL. The owner and I wanted to showcase the steps involved, and show just how much work goes into a $500 Mod.

Plus all the hand cast and polished brass parts take time as they are first modeled in 3D before they are 3D printed in wax on a special high resolution 3D printer. This wax figure is then encased in plaster - creating a very detailed mold. Molten brass is poured into the mold, displacing the wax. The castings are then tumbled in walnut shell pieces to lightly smooth them, then polished on buffing wheels to a high gloss. The faceplate, bottom plate and battery tube cover are cast.

I've left the squonks alone for quite a while now - the design is complete in hand drawings and sketches, but I need to create and add parts to the 3D model. I use these 3D models to generate the drawings I detail to make the parts. If I have to adjust anything, the drawings automatically update - cool.

Also, I purchased a DNA75C board shortly after they were available. The board is the same size as the regular 75 - which is the same as the 200 and 250. This means only faceplate assemblies need some button and display window work and we should be good to go. We're all hoping for a 250C, but Evolve is being very tight lipped.

Vape, vape, vape - big exhale,

Rick

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks much - this Mod has taken a long time. I knew documenting it would stretch out the production. Other existing projects and my "crap shoot" health have taken their toll as well - LOL. The owner and I wanted to showcase the steps involved, and show just how much work goes into a $500 Mod.

Plus all the hand cast and polished brass parts take time as they are first modeled in 3D before they are 3D printed in wax on a special high resolution 3D printer. This wax figure is then encased in plaster - creating a very detailed mold. Molten brass is poured into the mold, displacing the wax. The castings are then tumbled in walnut shell pieces to lightly smooth them, then polished on buffing wheels to a high gloss. The faceplate, bottom plate and battery tube cover are cast.

I've left the squonks alone for quite a while now - the design is complete in hand drawings and sketches, but I need to create and add parts to the 3D model. I use these 3D models to generate the drawings I detail to make the parts. If I have to adjust anything, the drawings automatically update - cool.

Also, I purchased a DNA75C board shortly after they were available. The board is the same size as the regular 75 - which is the same as the 200 and 250. This means only faceplate assemblies need some button and display window work and we should be good to go. We're all hoping for a 250C, but Evolve is being very tight lipped.

Vape, vape, vape - big exhale,

Rick
As I tell my wife about the kitchen remodel, all it takes is time and money! It seems sometimes that time is harder to find than money, especially when you have the "added joy" of health issues popping up just about the time you gather speed! Just take care of yourself and the rest will happen in their time.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I really wish the DNA 250C would come out and get put into Vein. Oh well, when it does it's just a faceplate redesign and print away from implementing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Guys (and girls, of course),

Sorry for the absence, been busy with several projects. Still playing with the heat here - 110 for the next couple or few days!

Got a new polishing rig for the lathe; produces great results faster than I thought possible. Here's a quick video of polishing and some quick cell pics of a component test fit of a DNA75 Mod in production - the Sleeping Dragon:

A few pics after polishing:
36712629351_6f43f63fd3_c.jpg

36712629211_1bffd1f19a_c.jpg

36712629101_3a684d4739_c.jpg

The tube is reflecting the chandelier above the table - you can see the reflection of two of the lights and their arms just to the left of the tube on the body - shiny!

Next is assembly of the faceplate components, and then testing with power before starting final assembly - whoo hoo!

Take care,

Rick
Dang but she is pretty. I'm in love.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Gang,

I'm currently working on assembly of the faceplate for the Dragon. Boring - not much excitement watching me hold a part in place with two pairs of tweezers for 20 minutes. I'll probably post some video of connecting leads to the board and powering it up for the first time.

For now, I have a short (<2min) video of a milling operation on another Mod - the Oba Mod - a Model II. This is after I cut the space for the door to sit; and this operation is cutting the t-slot that makes the door a captive, sliding type of door. Here ya go!

Talk to you later -

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Everyone -

The final assembly of the Sleeping Dragon Mod is complete. Some interesting notes and occurrences during final -

I reduced the size of this Mod slightly to make it more friendly to smaller hands. The space was so tight that the rubbery cement used to attach the Faceplate would allow it to push away from it's recess because of increased tension from the wiring because of the reduced space behind the Faceplate. So it had to come apart to try and get a little stronger adhesion by adding some epoxy at the corners of the Faceplate. It worked, but the body might be damaged if we ever have to take it apart again. Oh well, do what you have to - a new body might have to go with any removal of the Faceplate.

But that wasn't the end of it - after reassembly, I put a battery in to test it again, and when turned on, the watt setting immediately began to drop as if the down control button was being pushed. The Faceplate button looked fine, but would not "click" when pushed and I couldn't stop the behavior. Great, it needs to be opened up again... I wrapped a screwdriver with a little piece of leather to protect the polished brass and took the bottom plate off (rubbery attachment still works there). It was the positive wire from the battery pushing up just the corner of the DNA board and depressing the down button on the board. I moved the wire as much as possible and placed a small epoxy "bridge" between the body and board to hold it in place. After putting it back together, everything worked as designed when tested again. Finally!

Without further adieu -

And, a few images made with "the good stuff", Canon DSLR, L series lens, Strobes & Umbrellas - enjoy

37162424713_706315bcc8_b.jpg
37882650201_272e744fb2_b.jpg

37851079372_15a734783c_b.jpg
37162424313_beacc62c47_b.jpg

37851078842_28ce5c4892_b.jpg
37172414164_1158cc8594_b.jpg

And, there you have it! I'm quite proud of it - awesome materials make an awesome looking Mod. For those wondering - The Mod V is $259 base price (DNA75). The stabwood block was $74, and the cast polished brass option is $179. The standard is an Oak or Walnut body, and black plastic parts instead of brass. Other materials like stainless are available at a lesser cost than brass.

I'll close this thread at some point - but I'll add more Mod news occasionally as I work on the next five that are on the production schedule - well, four plus another customer trying to decide what options to get! I'll keep posting to this thread.

A couple more interesting notes:

I might have a Mod coming up that will have Damascus Steel - at least a Faceplate!

I will be designing a DNA Mod to look similar to the Augvape Gragas - that should be kewl - :cool:

Give someone a thumbs up and a smile today, it'll improve their face value, and yours -

Rick

Last edited:

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey everybody-

I wanted to check in with y'all to let you know I've been busy since the Dragon made it into the mail. But, I'm doin' boring, not worthy of documenting types of things. It's amazing how much of a mess the making of something as small as a Mod can cause or make!

The main mission has been to get the shop back into shape enough to comfortably continue on the rest of production. Adding in all the ancillary things around the house that have been neglected or minimally done have contributed to the cleanup - mainly a large task of going through the back yard to remove "summer" (garden, pool, etc...) windstorm messes, you get the idea, total BAM (big ass mess) ;)

That being nearly done, I do have a bit of new news -

I found a material online while searching "damascus" and "mokume gane". They're called composite designer materials. Fairly new, they are similar to sintered metals - but with dust sized particles instead of tiny beads.The "new" of all this is the ability to make lightweight metal materials that can have multiple, separate metals in them - like damascus steel or mokume gane. They are made under pressure and heat - it's hard to get details about the process, they're very secretive about it.

Here's a blurb from the website about the materials:

Macro-Molecular Materials are part of the new breed of new age designer materials that make everything from the Stealth Bomber to the International Space Station possible. These materials are made with high purity metals and other exotic elements that have been deconstructed to the macro-molecular level, homogeneously combined and then reconstructed with highly refined proprietary chemical binders. Metal deconstruction requires very specialized equipment - a Gas Metal Atomizer that super heats the metal and then shoots it with water, gas or plasma causing it to explode into molecules of specific shape and size. Heat, pressure and an exothermic chemical reaction cause the molecules to cross link forming a new material with a unique macro-molecular structure. Because the molecules are distributed homogeneously through a process known as the Micelle Phenomenon, the new material gains the benefit of all the unique characteristics of the individual components.

Yea... it looks really cool too!
m3_mokume_square_mods.jpg

I've purchased a 3/4" diameter x 5" piece of damascus to make some drip tips with. We can learn together if this material will be viable for Faceplates and other pieces.

Should be fun -

Rick

Last edited:

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey peeps-

Well, we're back in the shop and working on a different Mod - Oba, a Model II:
38313642766_b5db947476_c.jpg

It's natural Afzelia burl. The door recess and body cavity have been cut, and you can see I'm working on the Faceplate cut through and details. A block of Oak is used to fill the void of the cavity to reduce vibration when machining.

Plus, I received my little piece of the new material - M3 Damascus (expensive little booger - $5/inch). I made a handful of driptips, it polishes nicely - (3) 510 bases & (2) 12.5mm bases on the right, the largest one in the foreground is 19mm diameter and 19mm height not including the connector protrusion:
38368664251_6c41b11c38_c.jpg

It's lighter than solid steel, but heavier than the acrylic blanks used to make many driptips. It's harder than resin or acrylic as well. Turns well with sharp carbide tools - go slow. It's made with 316 stainless and "Black Carbonite" (a new proprietary material- apparently stolen from Jaba & George Lucas). 316 SS cores with double o-rings are epoxied to the M3 Damascus bodies. Takes the better part of an hour to cut and polish one.

What'cha think? I figured $20/ea.

I'll probably photograph them properly and put them on my Facebook page @ /pvstands.

Rick

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey peeps-

Well, we're back in the shop and working on a different Mod - Oba, a Model II:
38313642766_b5db947476_c.jpg

It's natural Afzelia burl. The door recess and body cavity have been cut, and you can see I'm working on the Faceplate cut through and details. A block of Oak is used to fill the void of the cavity to reduce vibration when machining.

Plus, I received my little piece of the new material - M3 Damascus (expensive little booger - $5/inch). I made a handful of driptips, it polishes nicely - (3) 510 bases & (2) 12.5mm bases on the right, the largest one in the foreground is 19mm diameter and 19mm height not including the connector protrusion:
38368664251_6c41b11c38_c.jpg

It's lighter than solid steel, but heavier than the acrylic blanks used to make many driptips. It's harder than resin or acrylic as well. Turns well with sharp carbide tools - go slow. It's made with 316 stainless and "Black Carbonite" (a new proprietary material- apparently stolen from Jaba & George Lucas). 316 SS cores with double o-rings are epoxied to the M3 Damascus bodies. Takes the better part of an hour to cut and polish one.

What'cha think? I figured $20/ea.

I'll probably photograph them properly and put them on my Facebook page @ /pvstands.

Rick
Those are freaking beautiful , where can I order .. been on a accessory kick lately and I got to have one of those

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Cool - thanks. Sorry I've been absent today - other crap to do!

I just got the pics shot today and haven't done anything Facebook wise. I'll make sure and save that one for you. I should be able to get to it and have it on it's way to you in a day or two. I'll PM you.

Thanks-
Those are freaking beautiful , where can I order .. been on a accessory kick lately and I got to have one of those

@sychosis Hey Sy - thanks. At the moment, those five are the first. I got the material to test it out. I'll make more, or you can pick one of the remaining four if you like. PM me if you like.

Oh yea, price will include shipping anywhere in the CONUS.
AW CRAP! - thought I said $25 earlier (was thinking with shipping) - we'll do these first five at $20/ea with shipping. In the future, they'll be $25 shipped. I'll also get some of their other materials to make tips with as well.

I want to put a section on the website, but it takes a bit of coding with the payment buttons and all. I hope to get it going soon. For the time being, I'll get them on Facebook (/pvstands) - payment is easy there - and we can PM here, I can send a PayPal invoice.

Rick

Last edited:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'll make sure and save that one for you. I should be able to get to it and have it on it's way to you in a day or two. I'll PM you.
Awesome. Just let me know your PP email and I'll send the payment immediately.

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool - thanks. Sorry I've been absent today - other crap to do!

I just got the pics shot today and haven't done anything Facebook wise. I'll make sure and save that one for you. I should be able to get to it and have it on it's way to you in a day or two. I'll PM you.

Thanks-

@sychosis Hey Sy - thanks. At the moment, those five are the first. I got the material to test it out. I'll make more, or you can pick one of the remaining four if you like. PM me if you like.

Oh yea, price will include shipping anywhere in the CONUS.
AW CRAP! - thought I said $25 earlier (was thinking with shipping) - we'll do these first five at $20/ea with shipping. In the future, they'll be $25 shipped. I'll also get some of their other materials to make tips with as well.

I want to put a section on the website, but it takes a bit of coding with the payment buttons and all. I hope to get it going soon. For the time being, I'll get them on Facebook (/pvstands) - payment is easy there - and we can PM here, I can send a PayPal invoice.

Rick
25 is fine , I would like one difference, the larger one in foreground , can you make it with a 510 insert ? And possibly adjust the length ? I will get my caliper out and measure one later today for the height ..since chef grabbed the other ..talk to you soon !

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would like one this shape , sizes are

13.5 mm top
17 mm base
12.5 mm length without 510

Add a insert to those measurements and that shape if possible , pm me your pp and I will send payment immediately
abed855926a3cfea08c6f1eb8c6a98ef.jpg

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Would like one this shape , sizes are

13.5 mm top
17 mm base
12.5 mm length without 510

Add a insert to those measurements and that shape if possible , pm me your pp and I will send payment immediately
abed855926a3cfea08c6f1eb8c6a98ef.jpg

@sychosis
Sure, no problem - that tip has a 12.5mm base, right? You want that tip with a smaller 510 base (8.5mm diameter) ?

It will be a couple weeks before I'll be able to ship it (used all the material I had), you can hold off on payment if you like.

I ordered some more material today - last order took about a week before it shipped; I think they make them to order. I will also have a piece of their "Black Gold" coming. It's like the Damascus, but with brass instead of the 316 SS that's in the Damascus. The drip tips from it will look good with black/brass Mods.

I'll post when the fresh material is on it's way - for anyone interested, my contact and PayPal email is:

rick (at) absolute-wood (dot) com

Rick

Last edited:

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@sychosis
Sure, no problem - that tip has a 12.5mm base, right? You want that tip with a smaller 510 base (8.5mm diameter) ?

It will be a couple weeks before I'll be able to ship it (used all the material I had), you can hold off on payment if you like.

I ordered some more material today - last order took about a week before it shipped; I think they make them to order. I will also have a piece of their "Black Gold" coming. It's like the Damascus, but with brass instead of the 316 SS that's in the Damascus. The drip tips from it will look good with black/brass Mods.

I'll post when the fresh material is on it's way - for anyone interested, my contact and PayPal email is:

rick (at) absolute-wood (dot) com

Rick
Perfect , just let me know when it arrives and I will send payment , yes that shape with a 510 base for my crown 3

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Perfect , just let me know when it arrives and I will send payment , yes that shape with a 510 base for my crown 3

Hey @sychosis & peeps-

Thanks - I've been a little under the weather here and there these last couple weeks, haven't accomplished as much as I'd like. Plus, this time of year gets real busy in many ways.

I'm still waiting on the new material but did find a little time to make some driptips from a small piece of Caribbean Rosewood I had. This beautiful wood is rare, expensive and extremely hard. Also threw in a pic of a tip I made from a piece of acrylic a vendor gave me called "red lava" -

37974561224_b3b4ae89fe_o.jpg

Along the top are the 12.5mm bases, like Griffin, Aura, many others. The bottom three are standard 510 bases. Finished inside and out with CA, stainless steel double o-ring cores. $20 shipped.

I've gotten farther on the next Mod and gotten the faceplate area routed out and it's now clamped up ready for the boring of the magnet holes for the door retention. Lastly will be the machining of the 510 connector. That will set us up for the machining and fitting of the door. Pics to come. :)

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving - keep our service members in your prayers -

Rick

Last edited:

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey everyone,

The two pieces of material for drip tips has arrived - a piece of M3 Damascus - @sychosis will be happy to hear that, and a piece of "M3 Black Gold", which is a black carbonite and brass Mokume Gane. Here's a pic of knife handles made in each material:

24904673858_09492c1a2b_o.jpg

Also working on Oba - the Afzelia Model II:

27002464099_48759e3e2d_c.jpg

Not yet cut in the above photo is the 510 connector - cut, but not seen in the pic below. Shown are the magnet holes in the body to retain the door via matching magnets in the door.
23913545907_9e6a5165d4_c.jpg

Next will be the cutting and fitting of the door -

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey vapers,

I'm sure by now that SoCal is nationwide news as we're on fire again!

In the last week we've grown over half a dozen fires - the biggest at around 150,000 acres and only 10% contained. Around 500 homes/buildings gone so far - including a hospital (all safe). We're also experiencing single digit humidity with high winds - 20-40mph constant with 60-80mph gusts. Five days now. Not good for the fires...

From our vantage point, we've got fires north, south and west of us. A fire east of us was put down yesterday - only a few miles away. Currently, the closest is the Creek fire about 20+ miles away. We're good for now - but partially ready to bug out with little notice.

I'm sure my neighbors would laugh seeing me throwing little hybrid blocks and exotic hardwood lumber in my car with all the family items - LOL. Or having to make 5-6 trips just for the guitars! I'd want to grab at least a couple...

So everything is good and safe for now. Horrible air around here so I haven't been outside or in the shop much this last week. Plus we have a Chihuahua that's freaked out with all the wind and the noise - so I've got this shivering shadow that about bumps into me if I stop walking!

I am working on making a Drip Tip section on the website. I'm also interested in getting some of the M3 material in flat form to try out for faceplates, buttons, etc... We'll see soon, the Mods come first ;)

Rick

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey vapers,

I'm sure by now that SoCal is nationwide news as we're on fire again!

In the last week we've grown over half a dozen fires - the biggest at around 150,000 acres and only 10% contained. Around 500 homes/buildings gone so far - including a hospital (all safe). We're also experiencing single digit humidity with high winds - 20-40mph constant with 60-80mph gusts. Five days now. Not good for the fires...

From our vantage point, we've got fires north, south and west of us. A fire east of us was put down yesterday - only a few miles away. Currently, the closest is the Creek fire about 20+ miles away. We're good for now - but partially ready to bug out with little notice.

I'm sure my neighbors would laugh seeing me throwing little hybrid blocks and exotic hardwood lumber in my car with all the family items - LOL. Or having to make 5-6 trips just for the guitars! I'd want to grab at least a couple...

So everything is good and safe for now. Horrible air around here so I haven't been outside or in the shop much this last week. Plus we have a Chihuahua that's freaked out with all the wind and the noise - so I've got this shivering shadow that about bumps into me if I stop walking!

I am working on making a Drip Tip section on the website. I'm also interested in getting some of the M3 material in flat form to try out for faceplates, buttons, etc... We'll see soon, the Mods come first ;)

Rick
Glad you are safe and prepared! Best wishes and prayers.

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey everyone,

Hi from smoky (and sunny) SoCal. I started to do this yesterday, but didn't feel up to doing much - feeling better this morning.

We're not in any danger; the fires and winds continue. This morning, the news said this was the longest duration wind event here ever recorded. The largest of the fires, north of us, has burned nearly a quarter million acres and eaten around 800 structures. Still with low containment numbers because of the terrain and winds. Godspeed and prayers to all those face to face with it.

I'm working on the door for the Oba Mod, and trying to make a few more Drip Tips as I prepare a new section for the website.

Hope to have some pictorial updating soon!

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey all -

The work on the Oba Mod door so far:

24195711857_d1e1a0f8de_c.jpg

Here I'm machining the door to thickness before cutting it to size - then making the "lip" around the edge that makes it a sliding door.

38175532635_46f3d60c95_c.jpg

Color difference in door is due to the body being exposed to light while the door has been in a drawer without exposure to light. They'll match up soon with the door out in the light now.

After fitting of the door and the same for the Faceplate, it'll be sanding time!

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey everyone,

Getting ready for the big night? Have a blast and stay safe!

Hope Santa's sleigh was heavy with vape gear this year, and everyone had / is having a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah.

Final stages of fitting the door on the Oba Mod:
39364667531_e319a93879_c.jpg

Careful hand filing of the upper corners with a tiny diamond file. Both sides are now squared - I'm reducing the door top lip width for perfect fit.

Also, I've been working on the website - a new holder has been added to the In Stock Holders section - #60, at the bottom of the page. And...

A new Drip Tip Section has been added to the website. Caribbean Rosewood, M3 Damascus, M3 Black Gold Mokume. More to come. Plus, we'll make custom Drip Tips - just drop us a line.

That's all folks - I'm going to play with my new toys now - :D

Rick

Last edited:

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well - Happy New Year Everyone - hope your new year is filled with flavorful clouds!

I have an update on the Oba Mod, I've completed the machining and have started the sanding - up to 220 grit right now - here's a few pics.

The Faceplate inset had to have the inside corners chiseled out by hand (tiny chisel!). Fits pretty well.
39717235881_d1b5d32508.jpg
39717235951_d150bc99e6.jpg

The door's magnet holes have been bored, and the filing of the corners of the door opening has been completed, matching the door:
38819385755_a4e8edf261.jpg
39717235731_21f57bd681.jpg

Here's a few pics of the Mod after routing a 3mm radii over all 12 edges, and sanding to 220 grit paper:
25845051178_a72c55edd2_z.jpg
38818754505_53244f1621_z.jpg

25845051278_53244f1621_z.jpg

Ever finer sanding until it's time to start layering the cyanoacrylate finish on.

The next Mod on the schedule will be very similar to this one, but will be a squonker, and might be a DNA250 Color!

Take care of each other -

Rick

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well - Happy New Year Everyone - hope your new year is filled with flavorful clouds!

I have an update on the Oba Mod, I've completed the machining and have started the sanding - up to 220 grit right now - here's a few pics...

...The next Mod on the schedule will be very similar to this one, but will be a squonker, and might be a DNA250 Color!

Take care of each other -

Rick
Oba is really starting to look Kingly!

The next Mod will be a current generation DNA 250 LiPo Squonker made from stabilized Siberian Elm Burl and is named Vein. Following that will be an iPWP (Big Al's) LiPo named Buck.

Vein is going to be a serious challenge dimensionally to get it to work with the blank and Buck will be the greatest electronic assembly challenge by way of special LED illumination of the side with the majority of green resin.

I hope to get a DNA 250 Color LiPo made from stabilized Spaulted Maple on the Absolute-Wood schedule later in 2018.

Rick is doing an awesome job and he is an absolute pleasure to work with!

Once final assembly is completed (by me) on the Mods I will take some Pics and post them.

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oba is really starting to look Kingly!

Rick is doing an awesome job and he is an absolute pleasure to work with!

Awww... now I'm embarrassed :thanks:

On a side note - the UPS guy looked at me funny for getting so excited for getting sandpaper today - hey, different strokes...

Rick

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No need to be embarrassed! You and I have had a lot of discussions on the three you currently have for me, discussions on another Mod, and discussions on the release of the DNA 250 Color. Not to mention other jobs you currently have going as well as others in planning! I would have made a slight mixup way before now!!!

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey everyone,

Hope you're doin' well - I've had a fight with a cold now for about a week - glad it's not the flu - scary crap this year! I got out in the shop for a little here and there, and got some acrylic Drip Tips made. Did all the indoors work (photos, website coding...) the last couple days. All are now on the website and ready to go.
25104510187_0e648f104e_o.jpg

Here's a larger version of the above image if you like.

We're starting another crazy warm trend here - about 80 all week. I should get back to the shop and the Mods soon.

Cheers,

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Gang -

Well, the last week hasn't been much fun... been ill for days - finally feeling mostly better. On the good side, our crazy, "Julyuary" weather continues! Mid 80's for a week or more so far. Wow - weird even for Cali.

I thought I'd post the first pics of the Oba Mod after getting it's first two coats of finish last week. It has since been sanded and recoated a couple times. Now has six coats and is ready for the final four coats. Then comes polishing - almost done!

Check it out:

40138680321_c0d7e6bce1_c.jpg

Above we're looking at the back of the mod, and the outside of the door. What awesome wood.

25266850557_1be162fbda_c.jpg

Here's the doorside and the inside of the door - notice the magnet holes for securing the door.

Talk soon!

Rick

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey guys-

Sorry for the absence, been jumpin' about with Oba. Done!

40619367411_3bbf3f9a37_b.jpg

A couple views - the display has been photoshopped into the display. The owner will finish it off with assembly and soldering. This was quick "photo studio" assembly only - enough for pics!

25748806197_0e5ab5a51c_b.jpg

A close up of the top & the awesome variation in the wood - Afzelia burl. It will be on it's way to it's new home tomorrow!

I will be starting some design change work on the next Mod and should be fabricating in a matter of days.

I've also started the early design sketches and research for a from scratch design that will look roughly similar to the Augvape Gragas. We'll have better wood (looking for a knockout piece of American Black Walnut burl), recessed into the bottom will be the display and control buttons. It'll likely be a DNA250 Color!

I'm even looking into the possibility of it having dual power: LiPo or traditional cylinder batteries like 18650, 21700...

Rick

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
truly stunning work, wow all I gotta say!

Do you have a site to visit?

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dude, your work is nothing less than spectacular! Nice job!
Thanx Bro - I love doing it; it's challenging & the feeling of creating a one of a kind Mod is very satisfying.

truly stunning work, wow all I gotta say!

Do you have a site to visit?
Thank you, appreciate the kind words.

I have a forum space here under Absolute-Wood

I'm around here and there - the website is www.absolute-wood.com

It has been primarily for the vape stands. More recently I've been adding driptip and Mod info. There is a Mod section - the menu takes you to a page full of the FDA crap, and you click on a link there to go to the actual Mod page. It still needs work, but has pulldowns for configuring a Mod. It's usually best to develop a configuration by starting a conversation and determining the parameters of the build.

I have a couple pages on Facebook; /PVSTANDS is where I have a lot of vape stand stuff and driptips. The other page is /AbsoluteMods
It's newer, and I need to spend much more time on it!

Rick

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’m so anxious to get this and will very likely have it done this coming weekend. I’m going to try to get some decent pics and send them to Rick to see if there are any he would like to post.

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I’m so anxious to get this and will very likely have it done this coming weekend. I’m going to try to get some decent pics and send them to Rick to see if there are any he would like to post.

Haha, I bet! :vapemail:

Go ahead and post pics - if you send them to me I can see what I can do to polish them up in Photoshop too!

I couldn't show the inside because just a DNA75 was taped to the backside of the faceplate to hold the brass buttons in - which have been polished since - the connector was just screwed in by hand... the divider wall and it's cover were not even in the Mod at the time of the photos.

Looking forward to seeing it too - :bliss::bingo:

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Vape peeps-

I have a few pics of Oba to share that I received from it's owner after he completed assembly - it looks nice:
41145096142_c62f771ff9_c.jpg

27315911438_abbc2b3ab8_c.jpg

41145097222_09b5d83f67_z.jpg

The next Mod design is nearly final. It's a Squonker! It will be called Vein due to the pattern of the stabilized Siberian Elm Burl it will be made of.
39379762860_69b65b66c2.jpg

Here are a few early design variation renders of the 3D model during development:

41145076522_776c973cf9.jpg

This is the divider / bottle cradle that is installed inside the body. It also has the posts to attach the cover.

41145076732_372fb62fbf.jpg

Installed like this! This is without the cover on it. An even earlier version of the divider.

27315709708_33fd726ab7.jpg

Doh! Uh Oh... one of the great things about 3D Modeling - being able to cut your Mod in half to look and see a problem you must fix! Notice how thin the wood is just to the right of the little Measure Distance box. It required a redesign of the Faceplate for another reason other than to make room...

41144941362_60c4d05082.jpg

An early version of the raised Faceplate, with fastener holes. Now a glue in part. In the 3D model, features such as holes can be turned on and off. This allows one file to actually hold all variations of the part.

Back to the drawing board, er... screen ;)

Rick

Last edited:

VU Sponsors