Become a Patron!

Madecat_Vapes Review : GeekVape Nova Kit

madecat_vapes

Member For 4 Years
Hello VU! Today I am reviewing for you the GeekVape Nova Kit! The Nova is GeekVape's entry into the ever so popular resin realm of devices. The Nova mod is quite the looker with some beautiful resin. So does it perform as well as it looks? Read below for my evaluation.

I have had the Nova Kit for 3 weeks now and feel I can give a fair assessment of its quality.

This device was sent to me from GeekVape for the purpose of a review.

Nova Specs
Dimension: 88mm x 52.3mm x 25.1mm
Batteries: Dual 18650 (not included)
Modes: VW;TC(Ni200/Ti/SS/TCR);Bypass;VPC(Power Curve Adjustment)
Wattage Ouput Range: 5-200W
Resistance Range: 0.05-3.0ohm
Voltage Range: 0.5 to 12V
Display: 0.96" OLED Color Display
Material: Resin and Aluminium Zinc Alloy Chassis
Spring-Loaded Gold-Plated 510 Connection​

Cerberus Tank Specs
Diameter: 27mm
Capacity: 5.5ml buble glass max capacity/4ml regular glass max capacity
Material: Stainless Steel
Coil: Super Mesh X1-Kanthal/0.2ohm/30-90W
Airflow: Dual adjustable bottom
Fill: twist to lock, top fill
Compatible with TFV8 Baby Beast Coils
Drip Tip: 8mm wide 810​

Color Options
8Jb3ghn.jpg

Contents
Nova 200W Box Mod
Cerberus Sub-Ohm Tank (pre-installed- Super Mesh X1 Coil / Bubble Glass 5.5mL)
Spare Super Mesh X1 Coil
Replacement Glass (regular glass 4.0mL)
Spare Parts Pack
Micro USB Cable
User Manual
Warranty Card​

Operation
his is the same as the Blade Mod and Aegis Legend*
5 clicks on
+ and - to lock +/- buttons (can still fire mod)
3 clicks to enter "menu"
+ and - while in "menu" to change screen color
+ or - to scroll through operation modes while in "menu" (Power/TC/TCR/VPC/BYPASS)
Click power button while in "menu" to modify operation type
Modify Power Operation (lock/reset resistance, reset puff counter)
Modify TC Operation (lock/reset resistance, change watts, reset puff counter)
Modify TCR Operation (lock/reset resistance, change watts, change TCR, reset puff counter)
Modify VPC Operation (modify 5 wattage points)
Modify Bypass Operation (lock/reset resistance, reset puff counter)
Power button and + or - to change screen brightness
5 clicks off
+ and - while off to show version​

Pics
Instaglam1
4YAYCJA.jpg

Instaglam2
aHCUoh6.jpg

Contents
I12vN5M.jpg

Spares
ALnEse6.jpg

Nova Kit
YzvZbjI.jpg

Top/510
jjq4wVa.jpg

Battery Door Groove
v7ksrqm.jpg

Screen/Buttons
Y9H3ON1.jpg

Bottom
8tdcSOR.jpg

Battery Tray
nXU2U9E.jpg

Screen
qjfUkjJ.jpg

Nova Kit
GeekVape seem to have hit all the angles when it comes to their devices: you have the rugged mod, the psychedelic mod, the squonk mod and now the sexy mod. The Nova is an extremely stylish device utilizing some impressive looking resin and sophisticated design. It's still a boxy mod, but, damn is she a looker. And she puts out as well as she looks! But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's jump off this review and start at the best place possible: the top.

Top/510: The top of the Nova houses an oblong 510 plate secured to the device via two torq screws. Threading on the negative is smooth and the positive pin is gold-plated and spring-loaded. The Nova can accomodate up to 25mm attys without overhang. Nothing else really to talk about the top of the mod, so moving on.

Buttons: Along the front of the device are the buttons, screen and USB charge port. It's a typical configuration with the fire button up top, followed by the screen, +/- buttons, and the USB port on the bottom. The fire button is a decent size, is slighly raised from the device, and has some circular textures to it. It has a nice click to it, but it is has a little bit of play as well. It's not terribly bad, and it doesn't mess with the responsiveness of the button, yet it's something I noticed. The +/- buttons are also raised, clicky, and responsive.

Screen/Menu: The screen/menu on the Nova is pretty much an exact copy of what was in the Blade and Aegis Legend, so I'm going to use the magic of copy/paste here.

The device has a decent sized screen and pretty much all the information you want to see on it. The menu system is very simplified, which can be a pro or a con. It works fine, so whatever. You can take a look above at the **Operation** section for more information on the workings of the menu. Rather than having a more immersive menu system, they rely on some weird shortcuts in order to do things. This was true on the Blade and the Aegis Legend, and is still true on the Nova. I'd prefer an actual menu/submenu style of navigation for my UI, but hey, that's just me.

Battery Panel/Tray: On the top of the device is a groove on one of the corners used to remove the battery panel from the device. The battery door is secured to the device via two visible magnets on the inside of the panel at the top and a hidden magnet at the bottom of the panel. The battery tray is pretty clean looking. It has a decent sized battery ribbon to help remove the batteries and has spring-loaded battery connections on the top.

Size/Styling: The size of the Nova is pretty standard for boxy devices. It's not the most comfortable device to hold because of its shape but it has slightly rounded edges so it's not terrible.

One of the greatest things about this device has to be the resin and other stylings. The resin is quite beautiful. I'm a huge fan of the gunmetal frame and ember resin on the device I received. I know people like the resin on the Drag, but the Nova resin is way nicer in my opinion. I may have lucked out on the device I was sent, as the resin pattern is pretty spot on to what I was expecting. Just know that because of the nature of resin, same colorways may not look similar. The resin also has a soft feel to it, like there is a rubberized coating over it. The top portion of the resin has a nice little curvature to it and gives it a nice bit of styling over just a straight edge. The device I received has a flat resin, but note that there are some variations where the resin has ridges to it. Besides the resin, the rest of the styling of the Nova is very understated and lets the resin really take center stage.

One more thing I want to note here. I usually don't talk about packaging, because...who cares? But the boxes of the Nova kit all match the resin of the device inside. Talk about going the extra mile. I just think that's pretty cool.

Performance: As for performance, the Nova has brains as well as looks. I've been a big fan of how well GeekVape devices perform and the Nova does just as well. Power mode performance is just as good as the Blade and Aegis Legend that I've reviewed in the past. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the chips in these devices, but performance is still fantastic and firing delay is almost non-existent.

For TC Mode, the Blade and Aegis Legend weren't the greatest performers. The Blade failed pretty miserably for me, but the AL seemed to be a bit better. As for the Nova, I think TC is pretty passable and better than what was present on the Aegis Legend. Ramp up was pretty consistent and tapered off smoothly. Also, they seem to have worked in some decent dry hit protection. I am pleasantly surprised with how the Nova performs in TC mode and am happy that GeekVape have finally dialed it in to a decent spot.

Cerberus Tank: There's not really much to say about the Cerberus tank that I didn't say about the Aero Mesh tank in the past. Aside from a bit of styling, they're very similar. The one thing performance wise that I noticed, though, is the draw on the Cerberus seems to be a bit more restricted. It's not a restricted DTL hit, just moreso than the Aero Mesh. Here's what I had to say about the Aero Mesh:

It's a nice little subohm tank and has some decent flavor. It takes 810 drip tips, so that's a bonus. It utilizes
the same top-fill design that is typical of GeekVape, where you twist it a half of a turn to remove the entire top. I feel like some kind of push-to-open top would be better, or something hinge-style. The Mesh coils that GeekVape have created are actually really nice. The regular Aero tank I thought was just okay. It wasn't the tank's fault; it was the coils. The mesh coils with the Cerberus are really fantastic. Flavor is quite on point. Maybe I would have liked to see a dual or triple mesh coil options, but the single mesh is really great! I used to say I wasn't much of a sub-ohm tank guy, and while I still can't justify the cost of purchasing coils, I have to say that I'm really impressed with how far tanks have come.​

madecat_vapes

Member For 4 Years
Final Thoughts
Pros

• Smooth negative threading
  • Spring-loaded positive pin
  • Accommodates up to 25mm with no overhang
  • Clicky and responsive buttons
  • Battery panel secured well
  • Clean battery tray
  • Sprint-loaded battery contacts
  • Beautiful Resin
  • Elegant styling
  • Packaging matches resin
  • Power Mode performance
  • TC Performance is pretty good
Cons
  • Fire button has some slight play to it
  • Unintuitive button shortcuts
  • would have liked to see more of a menu system
  • could have benefited from slightly more rounded edges
I've been really impressed with the quality of devices that GeekVape has been putting out and the Nova has topped that list for me. I'm such of fan of resin and find that the resin on the Nova to be some of the nicest looking I've seen. Performance of the Nova is pretty spot on as well, so it's got the looks and the performance. There's lots to like about the Nova and little not to.

Purchasing
  • Ecig-city - $59.99
  • Eightvape - $61.95
  • 3fvape - $62.99
  • ElementVape - $64.95
  • Eciggity - $64.99
  • Fasttech - $65.99
  • VaporDNA - $79.99

Thank you...
...for your attention VU. I hope you all have a great rest of your week!

I want to give another shoutout to GeekVape for giving me the opportunity to provide this community with this review. If you want to check them out, you can follow them on their Facebook or Instagram pages.

Also, if you want to keep up with me, you can follow me on Instagram.

VU Sponsors