Become a Patron!

Magnetic stirrer

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm looking at purchasing one this week. But I have questions.

The one I'm looking has a heated deck, with temp control. Does anyone use this type?

If so, what do you use to seal the bottle with the sensor inserted?

And how long do you stir?

I'm thinking cork, with a hole for the sensor.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm looking at purchasing one this week. But I have questions.

The one I'm looking has a heated deck, with temp control. Does anyone use this type?

If so, what do you use to seal the bottle with the sensor inserted?

And how long do you stir?

I'm thinking cork, with a hole for the sensor.
So you want to heat up like a 30ml bottle of liquid temperature test it to X degree and seal it?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So you want to heat up like a 30ml bottle of liquid temperature test it to X degree and seal it?

No, I want to mix 5 - 240ml bottles, different Flavors. Then transfer to Unicorns and be vape ready.

Decreased steep time ;)

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
063_zpsleexttga.jpg

This is one I made with a cooling fan. I just use a 100 watt bulb to heat the juice.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just a thought, but why a stirrer? I just shake mine! You can always pop into a $10 crockpot (in glass) to steep.

It was that, or a sonic cleaner. I know how a magnetic stirrer works. How well it works. And I really don't think it will over stir a mix if I forget about it for a couple of hours.

And while using a crock pot works fine. I want something I can walk away from. And, I do mix at volume sometimes (liter bottles). So I have to decide whether it 16 hours of Crock pot watching. Or 2 hours on a stir plate. The stir plate won it seems.

I mix for family too. So anything to speed the process up helps.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
063_zpsleexttga.jpg

This is one I made with a cooling fan. I just use a 100 watt bulb to heat the juice.

So how long do you stir? And what size bottle do you generally use? Sorry, I can't see if there's one in the picture. For some reason, I can't view full images. But I can enlarge thumbnails. :/

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was that, or a sonic cleaner. I know how a magnetic stirrer works. How well it works. And I really don't think it will over stir a mix if I forget about it for a couple of hours.

And while using a crock pot works fine. I want something I can walk away from. And, I do mix at volume sometimes (liter bottles). So I have to decide whether it 16 hours of Crock pot watching. Or 2 hours on a stir plate. The stir plate won it seems.

I mix for family too. So anything to speed the process up helps.
The biggest bottle I mix is 16 ounces, so I just mix in that, shake the heck out of it, and pour into unicorn bottles (or leave in big bottles to pour later).

You can walk away from the crockpot - it only takes 4 hours to get a couple of weeks steep. I've accidentally left things (custard) overnight with no bad results!

But whatever works for you:D

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The biggest bottle I mix is 16 ounces, so I just mix in that, shake the heck out of it, and pour into unicorn bottles (or leave in big bottles to pour later).

You can walk away from the crockpot - it only takes 4 hours to get a couple of weeks steep. I've accidentally left things (custard) overnight with no bad results!

How well does that work when you do 3 one liter bottles? Still 4 hours? Just sayin :rolleyes:

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
:confused:
That's why I said the biggest i mix is 16 ounces, but I don't need to steep! It wasn't meant as a criticism at all, merely a comment:p

I didn't take it as a criticism lol Not at all

But I have my answer. 3 minutes :)

Now, I can work on other things for 3 hours and 57 minutes :p

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

In regards to steeping in a crock pot, is the bottle completely submerged in the water?
I assume it is on the low setting as well, correct?
Is it better to have a crock pot with a digital temperature gauge?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In regards to steeping in a crock pot, is the bottle completely submerged in the water?
I assume it is on the low setting as well, correct?
Is it better to have a crock pot with a digital temperature gauge?
I just have the water up to the liquid level in the bottle. With both mine (one big, one small), I can get keep the temp at 150 degrees with the lid cracked on the lowest setting (check with a candy thermometer).

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I made my own mixer with a computer fan, hardrive magnet and a project box and it works great. The mixer stirs 100mls nicely with a 20mm stirbar, thats the amount I make of my tobacco flavors. I make 200 at a time of my wife's cotton candy mix and it stirs it fine with a 25mm stirbar in a beaker.
I put the VG, PG and flavoring but not the nic, set a timer and mix it for a couple hours as high as it will mix, you could warm up the mix a bit with hot water and it'll mix a bit faster. I then let it sit overnight to dissipate all the air bubbles, taste then after that you can let it steep then add the nic or add the nic and remix for a half hour at a slower speed not to add unnecessary air to the mix.
I did remove all the fan blades off the fan and it spins faster than with the blades since there is no air resistance. Since this video I have added a volt meter to the box to show speed in volts and waiting for some small LED lights to light up the mix from the bottom so I don't need the flashlight to watch it mixing.
This is 100mls of nicless 6% Hangsen Highway I shook up some to show the bubbles moving so how it mixes can be seen. I will let it steep a few weeks before adding the required nic

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I made my own mixer with a computer fan, hardrive magnet and a project box and it works great. The mixer stirs 100mls nicely with a 20mm stirbar, thats the amount I make of my tobacco flavors. I make 200 at a time of my wife's cotton candy mix and it stirs it fine with a 25mm stirbar in a beaker.
I put the VG, PG and flavoring but not the nic, set a timer and mix it for a couple hours as high as it will mix, you could warm up the mix a bit with hot water and it'll mix a bit faster. I then let it sit overnight to dissipate all the air bubbles, taste then after that you can let it steep then add the nic or add the nic and remix for a half hour at a slower speed not to add unnecessary air to the mix.
I did remove all the fan blades off the fan and it spins faster than with the blades since there is no air resistance. Since this video I have added a volt meter to the box to show speed in volts and waiting for some small LED lights to light up the mix from the bottom so I don't need the flashlight to watch it mixing.
This is 100mls of nicless 6% Hangsen Highway I shook up some to show the bubbles moving so how it mixes can be seen. I will let it steep a few weeks before adding the required nic

Thanks.

I'll probably leave it on at least an hour. Mine will be a heated unit. It's thermostatically controlled, so no issues there. And air bubbles are really a non issue with a variable speed mixer.

Nic will only be added once it's come back to room temp. And some juices will have to age, even after they've blended.

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So how long do you stir? And what size bottle do you generally use? Sorry, I can't see if there's one in the picture. For some reason, I can't view full images. But I can enlarge thumbnails. :/

I stir for 4 hours with my swing arm light with 100 watt bulb like in picture. It gets quit warm and the juice has always been done so far.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Okay okay, I'm beginning to get on board with this now. Is it possible to put tiny machine guns in the stirring mechanism? :)
That way it would have stirring, heat, AND security! :)

I really think we're off to a good start here fellas. Stay on this.
I'm trying to figure out how to hook mine up to a Roomba, get some cleaning done.
Let me add to your confusion

Ficks Law

You're welcome

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just an FYI. This bitch rocks!

An hour on the stirrer, and my ADV has taken on that nice golden color that usually appears around week 3 of steeping. And it definitely taste as if it's steeped for at least that long.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just an FYI. This bitch rocks!

An hour on the stirrer, and my ADV has taken on that nice golden color that usually appears around week 3 of steeping. And it definitely taste as if it's steeped for at least that long.

All my Hangsen tobacco mixes take on that wonderful golden color. I've been using the magnetic mixer pretty well since I started making my own juice and love it. Those are 100ml mixes, the middle Desert Ship is lighter color since it still missing the 25ml nic in which I add after its steeped couple weeks.....good vapin juices

Hangsen%20Group.jpg

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
All my Hangsen tobacco mixes take on that wonderful golden color. I've been using the magnetic mixer pretty well since I started making my own juice and love it. Those are 100ml mixes, the middle Desert Ship is lighter color since it still missing the 25ml nic in which I add after its steeped couple weeks.....good vapin juices

It's obvious some flavors will need to steep. But this will reduce the time.
I just mixed a raspberry that generally requires weeks of steeping. It's never been shake and vape. But I won't have to wait near as long :)

VU Sponsors