Become a Patron!

Major battery drain

Smokey1471

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I have a smok alien 220 watt mod. I'm currently using the cloud beast tank. Every time I try to run more than 90 watts, I get maybe a second and a half draw on it until I get the message " low battery" when the batteries are practically full ( like 75% - 100%). I've had the batteries tested and my vape shop said the batteries are all ok. Any advice? Any suggestions? Thanks

hendrikR

Member For 2 Years
The batteries you are using cannot supply enough power for that high wattage. Check out the attached Image for recommended batteries.
In my opinion the best batteries (ampere / capacity ratio) are the Sony VTC5A

I think

Attachments

• image.jpeg.jpg
    image.jpeg.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You didn't say what resistance your coil(s) is/are -- low resistance eats thru amperes like nobody's business. You need high-CDR batteries, *at least* 20 amps, and more if you're using low resistance.

Andria

hendrikR

Member For 2 Years
For regulated mods the resistance is not important, only the wattage.
Max used amperes are calculated like this:

wattage / (shutdown voltage * battery count)

so for this example: 90/(3*2) = 90/6 = 15 amps

if we assume 90% mod efficiency it is 16,67 amps

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What batteries are you using? Pics will help.

At this very moment I'm running a 0.105ohm build on my Alien @95W with a Hard preheat, using LG HE4's.

Edit: I thought I was using Sony batts lol.

Last edited:

Smokey1471

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
What batteries are you using? Pics will help.

At this very moment I'm running a 0.105ohm build on my Alien @95W with a Hard preheat, using Sony VTC5A's.
These are the batteries. I'm running a cloud beast tank. The coil is 0.15 ohm tfv8 - Q4

Attachments

• IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Efests are notoriously untrustworthy. I'd wager those cells are actually 15A, or less, CDR. They rewrap actual battery maker's rejects.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
20A CDR for up to 120W: Samsung 30q, Sony VTC6, and LG HG2

25A CDR for up to 150W: Nothing really beats the Sony VTC5A

30A CDR up to 175W: LG HB6, HB4, and HB2

Some would argue that those wattages are conservative, and I agree, but it's "safety first".

With current 18650 battery tech, continuous discharge rates(CDR) above 30A aren't possible. If they are, no one has told us about them. Which is why you can't trust a rewrap. Don't feel too bad, though. My first batts were Efest, because that's what my local shop said was the best...which is one reason I don't patronize local shops.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Samsung 25R is also a good 20A battery. I use 'em and I know a few people that use them in their mechs. @The Cromwell is one that comes to mind.
True. I hear it's a good batt for mechs. But I haven't used the 25r and I don't use mechs, so I wasn't sure where it fit into the realm of regulated mods. Just under the VTC5A I would guess.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm certainly no authority, but when I wanted batteries for my G2 it was recommended by several people to guet the 25Rs. I get a good day out them with this little tank at 20 watts, but when I put the rda on at 40-50 watts, I get maybe 5-6 hours out of them. I guess I really need to get either 30Qs or HB2s the next time I buy batteries though because I don't really see myself going much over 50 watts for a good while.:)

The 25Rs are cheaper though...at least at llion wholesale

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm certainly no authority, but when I wanted batteries for my G2 it was recommended by several people to guet the 25Rs. I get a good day out them with this little tank at 20 watts, but when I put the rda on at 40-50 watts, I get maybe 5-6 hours out of them. I guess I really need to get either 30Qs or HB2s the next time I buy batteries though because I don't really see myself going much over 50 watts for a good while.:)

The 25Rs are cheaper though...at least at llion wholesale
You would probably enjoy the extra mAh.
I might make it through 2 pairs of VTC5A's per day @100W in a G2.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe I oughta try the Sonys then?
Honestly, if I didn't occassionally need to hit 150W+, I'd just be using the 30q, HG2, or VTC6. If I were a 50W max vaper, I would definitely be using one of those 3.
My wife is at 20W or less, and gets 2 full days out of her HG2's. And they are nearly 2 years old. I haven't had a chance to throw them on my new Hohm Base charger and check their mAh and run the battery doctor, but hopefully I'll get to do it tomorrow. Be interesting to see how they're holding up with age.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Honestly, if I didn't occassionally need to hit 150W+, I'd just be using the 30q, HG2, or VTC6. If I were a 50W max vaper, I would definitely be using one of those 3.
My wife is at 20W or less, and gets 2 full days out of her HG2's. And they are nearly 2 years old. I haven't had a chance to throw them on my new Hohm Base charger and check their mAh and run the battery doctor, but hopefully I'll get to do it tomorrow. Be interesting to see how they're holding up with age.

Well, I'll have the house to myself most of the day tomorrow - wife taking the grandkids to their summer reading session at school, so I'm finally gonna throw a pair of Raymo2u aliens in my Reload clone. I may need HB6s before it's over! :)

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, I'll have the house to myself most of the day tomorrow - wife taking the grandkids to their summer reading session at school, so I'm finally gonna throw a pair of Raymo2u aliens in my Reload clone. I may need HB6s before it's over! :)
You'll be grinning like a jackass eatin' briars:D

Smokey1471

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So basically put, I would be much better to just get better batteries than the ones I currently have. Thank everyone for they're input. I will definitely start looking for some better batteries and maybe just use the ones I have now as emergency backups.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So basically put, I would be much better to just get better batteries than the ones I currently have. Thank everyone for they're input. I will definitely start looking for some better batteries and maybe just use the ones I have now as emergency backups.
I recommend you go ahead and get 4 new batts, if possible. Those efests aren't going to get better with age. Illumn.com, Imrbatteries.com, and liionwholesale.com usually have the best prices and selection.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Yeah, what @gakudzu said. And don't throw your old batteries away, save 'em for when you decide to build your own coils and you get an ohm meter. They'll work fine for checking resistance and gently pulsing coils to work out hotspots.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, what @gakudzu said. And don't throw your old batteries away, save 'em for when you decide to build your own coils and you get an ohm meter. They'll work fine for checking resistance and gently pulsing coils to work out hotspots.
Hadn't thought of using them in a tab.
Nice :idea:

I put my old efests on flashlight duty.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You'll be grinning like a jackass eatin' briars:D

I hope so. That Reload has the most awesome flavor. A lot better than my rda. I took the coils out of rda and put them in the Reload, and the difference in flavor is like night and day. All I got out of the rda was a dry hot vapor, but the Reload was awesome. It was still hotter thian what I'm used to but the only wire I've got right now is 24g and they take forever to heat up, or I have to jack the power up to 45 watts or so.

I'm hoping the aliens will give me a better vape at a lower temperature. I'll see later on today. :)

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hope so. That Reload has the most awesome flavor. A lot better than my rda. I took the coils out of rda and put them in the Reload, and the difference in flavor is like night and day. All I got out of the rda was a dry hot vapor, but the Reload was awesome. It was still hotter thian what I'm used to but the only wire I've got right now is 24g and they take forever to heat up, or I have to jack the power up to 45 watts or so.

I'm hoping the aliens will give me a better vape at a lower temperature. I'll see later on today. :)
Good luck! And if you need any help with the settings, don't hesitate to holler.

VU Sponsors