Become a Patron!

MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD and tell Aspire to stop using brass and questionable wicks

Please read this and spread the information

There has been alot of debate over the Aspire Nautilus and now the new ATLANTIS is here - You may or may not know that the chimney of these tanks is CHROME PLATED BRASS. There has been debate over Aspire using their own researched wicking material

ASPIRE is asking the community for advice on improving the tanks - Please voice your concern and help us make this vendor change these materials for the better

http://support.aspirecig.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8445

* if you register from http://online.aspirecig.com at the top of the page it will ask about your forum details -- if you make your forum name here when you go to post it will show up automatically without waiting for approval!

Last edited:

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not familiar with what the issues are. It would help if you explained why brass is bad and what wicking material they are using and why you think it's bad. Also, who gives a crap about ecf. They have their own agenda and that agenda will trump the truth every time. As far as they are concerned "their" truth is the only truth and if your truth happens to make one of their paying vendors uncomfortable you're not welcome there.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Replied about the brass chimneys needing to be SS. Did not comment on Wicks Am fine with the wicks they have

I think it would definately be better if Aspire used cotton wicks

The inners of the Nautilus and Atlantis are brass with chrome plate. Chrome plate will eventually wear off especially at the threads, having brass here will first become a problem with crossthreading easy.

Now - Brass contains lead -- Why would you not want it all SS?

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Watch Phil vid he said there doing something about. Not sure what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, I should through away my brass mods? Huh? Aspire was on my nerves for other reasons as well. This adds one more thing. I wondered about their ceramic wicking. Sure their coils work well but if you're familiar with ReadyxWick you're aware that any old ceramic will NOT do! Wouldn't it be great if they used Readyx instead of the ceramic they use now? Assuming that you're talking about their new ceramic wicks.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm fine with the wicks. These things work fantastic. I'll try not to chew on the brass chimney.
Ha ha ha! Is that what he is talking about, the BVC coils? He's not clear on what the complaint is around the coils. I remember hearing something about them but no one has elaborated.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

There has been alot of debate over the Aspire Nautilus and now the new ATLANTIS is here - You may or may not know that the chimney of these tanks is CHROME PLATED BRASS. There has been debate over Aspire using their own researched wicking material

ASPIRE is asking the community for advice on improving the tanks - Please voice your concern and help us make this vendor change these materials for the better

* if you register from http://online.aspirecig.com at the top of the page it will ask about your forum details -- if you make your forum name here when you go to post it will show up automatically without waiting for approval!
Can you post a link about these debates if there is one? I would like to know what I'm talking about before I go to Aspire. They've heard enough from me already about the crossed leads in their coils. Is the wicking issue about the fact that there has been no outside studies on their wicking material?

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not much of a debate really. PBusardo loves this tank according to his review. I agree, I love this tank and see no reason for change. I certainly do NOT want to see a cotton wick, that would be absurd to go that far backwards.

ApeMustNotKillVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The brass chimney most likely contains lead. The Chinese use lead as filler in everything. Lead is added to brass to ease machining. And in Aspires own words: “For the chimney is not easy to made of 100% stainless steel.

As for the wicking, first reports from Aspire were it was fiberglass. Then quickly changed. Now they will not give a straight answer. Fiberglass will damage your lungs and will never degrade. Either they consider the wicking a trade secret, or more likely they know the wicking is dangerous to health.

At minimum Aspire charged you for a stainless steel tank and gave you brass with likely lead. To make your voice heard, you need to stop buying this company’s shit. Vote with your wallet. Begging them to fix stuff when it is selling well will not work.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The brass chimney most likely contains lead. The Chinese use lead as filler in everything. Lead is added to brass to ease machining. And in Aspires own words: “For the chimney is not easy to made of 100% stainless steel.

As for the wicking, first reports from Aspire were it was fiberglass. Then quickly changed. Now they will not give a straight answer. Fiberglass will damage your lungs and will never degrade. Either they consider the wicking a trade secret, or more likely they know the wicking is dangerous to health.

At minimum Aspire charged you for a stainless steel tank and gave you brass with likely lead. To make your voice heard, you need to stop buying this company’s shit. Vote with your wallet. Begging them to fix stuff when it is selling well will not work.
Thank you for adding more detail. Fortunately, I'm just as happy with the Silo Tank and Davide using them with the BVC coils. They kinda' have us there on those coils. They do work better than the coils that come with those tanks.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm going to modify the airflow in a Kanger Aero Mega using their sub-ohm coils and see how it goes. (Unless someone tells me that they're made with radioactive materials). Aspire has not been very accommodating to their customers, blaming us for their defective BVC coils (they claim that we use the wrong batteries), so I will support this cause by going to the site and checking it out.

vapedick

Member For 4 Years

The inners of the Nautilus and Atlantis are brass with chrome plate. Chrome plate will eventually wear off especially at the threads, having brass here will first become a problem with crossthreading easy.

Brass is copper and zinc. No lead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most brass these days has up to 2% lead. I'm just not convinced it's an issue, especially when plated.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for posting that link, Smoky. For people investing in the Atlantis it makes so much sense to rebuild. And there's more space to work with!

i'd rather rebuild than buy the 5.00 coils :)
you welcome, muth.. i can't wait for mine to get here!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Why would I care if its Brass? I will give support if there is scientific reason I myself like brass but if you are saying is poisonous please show me some studies

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
EXACTLY! May I ask, if you do your own builds, why the Atlantis? I ask because I can't decide if I want one or not. I generally don't bring my rebuildables out with me and chuck clouds at the windshield while driving! That's when I use my regular tanks for convenience sake. Oh, what to do, what to do? Hearing your reasons might help. I've been asking around but most people who seem to be buying them don't build, so that made sense to me. lol

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I drip and drive.. that is what they make red lights for :p
i have yet to find a tank that gives me the feel of a dripper
(of course, all of my drippers have 2m holes in them, if not larger!)
so I am willing to try this one out and see how it does..
i have my fingers crossed, muth.. because i hope this will solve my wanting a tank..

don't take me wrong.. i know how to rebuild and build it so i do not add juice but every 30-45 min..
still.. would like to have something that works good, terrific air flow and a bit less for me to think on..

for around the house lmao..

i love to drip while i am out.. and watching people's reactions..
i am careful where i vape, specially not downtown..
i have made quiet a few friends, and helped some people get into vaping local :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

It's fairly common for the Chinese to substitute the word "fiberglass" for "silica". It's a language thing. :)

Example: http://www.desire-ecig.com/Electronic-Cigarette-Atomizer-Wick

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I drip and drive.. that is what they make red lights for :p
i have yet to find a tank that gives me the feel of a dripper
(of course, all of my drippers have 2m holes in them, if not larger!)
so I am willing to try this one out and see how it does..
i have my fingers crossed, muth.. because i hope this will solve my wanting a tank..

don't take me wrong.. i know how to rebuild and build it so i do not add juice but every 30-45 min..
still.. would like to have something that works good, terrific air flow and a bit less for me to think on..

for around the house lmao..

i love to drip while i am out.. and watching people's reactions..
i am careful where i vape, specially not downtown..
i have made quiet a few friends, and helped some people get into vaping local :)
I don't know when ur getting it but I'd love to know what the final opinions are. I spend most of my time on the road and I have had times where I couldn't see in front of me!!! I also have my passengers convinced that there is a humidifier in the van! Ha ha. Henceforth, my reservations about the Atlantis, for my situation, anyway. Everyone has a different MO. We'll see and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Helpful

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know when ur getting it but I'd love to know what the final opinions are. I spend most of my time on the road and I have had times where I couldn't see in front of me!!! I also have my passengers convinced that there is a humidifier in the van! Ha ha. Henceforth, my reservations about the Atlantis, for my situation, anyway. Everyone has a different MO. We'll see and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Helpful

oh.. i also have a sun roof lmao.. no clouds in the car:p
but yes i can let you know how i like it :)

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If I had to pay 5.00 for a coil I would maybe think about rebuilding, but since I get them for 3.20 and they last a couple weeks for me I'm really not inclined to rebuild for the expense aspect. And this is the honeymoon period of the Atlantis where the coils are at their most expensive, they will absolutely get cheaper and become a much more reasonable part of ownership of this tank very soon. Just like all other coils.

But I do understand the hobby aspect of rebuilding the coils and modifying to fit your needs. That is certainly a valid reason to rebuild and it will be interesting to see what people do with their builds. As good as this tank/coil combination is, it will be great to see folks take this design even further. I really enjoy the Atlantis and was gob-smacked for the first couple of tanks at the performance and flavor from a tank. To think people will build the coils even better is great. I'm quite satisfied with the current coils, but I'm anxiously looking forward to innovation and improvement from the hobbyists.

If home builds are successful and an improvement I will certainly be rolling a few of my own. I am saving used coils just for this purpose (well just 1 used coil so far since I just changed it after 2 weeks of vaping yesterday) and will probably at some point give a rebuild a try. But expense of the original coils has nothing to do with my desire for rebuilding.

BTW, anyone paying 5.00 for a coil needs to seriously work on their google-fu

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aspire has said they are redoing the chimney of the Atlantis in stainless steel due to peoples complaints.

As for the complaints, eh I won't be tossing out any of my brass mods, rdas or driptips anytime soon. People forget they've been breathing in water vapor from brass pipes on an everyday basis since birth every time they take a shower... Unless you dont use hot water or your just dirty..... :p

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was going by the link you posted. Lol

Turns out their just preorders. :-(

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Aspire has said they are redoing the chimney of the Atlantis in stainless steel due to peoples complaints.

As for the complaints, eh I won't be tossing out any of my brass mods, rdas or driptips anytime soon. People forget they've been breathing in water vapor from brass pipes on an everyday basis since birth every time they take a shower... Unless you dont use hot water or your just dirty..... :p
I wonder if they'll make ss chimneys available for the people who already bought one?

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Why would I care if its Brass? I will give support if there is scientific reason I myself like brass but if you are saying is poisonous please show me some studies
I think it is Generally accepted that only Naval Brass is safe for Atomizers [which is more expensive] I could see Chrome plating wearing of from threading and unthreading when changing coil heads

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think it is Generally accepted that only Naval Brass is safe for Atomizers [which is more expensive] I could see Chrome plating wearing of from threading and unthreading when changing coil heads
Roger I am not attacking Most of the stuff from China is brass plated I have never heard of Naval Brass being the only safe material it still begs an answer and something to back it up. If X person wants me to sign something I need empirical proof that I'm not jumping on some bandwagon with no good reasoning behind it.

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, BUT the new Sub-Tank heads ARE backwards compatible with the Aerotank, Genitank, Emow, and protank3 variants, with the exception of the mini's; as the tanks are too narrow.

I spoke to the first guy in the country to review one, and he popped one in his older tanks. Worked great

Exciting for me, because i always loved the form factor of the aerotank mega

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, BUT the new Sub-Tank heads ARE backwards compatible with the Aerotank, Genitank, Emow, and protank3 variants, with the exception of the mini's; as the tanks are too narrow.

I spoke to the first guy in the country to review one, and he popped one in his older tanks. Worked great

Good info man I wonder what two of these new bad boys will be like in my crazy Kanger turbo tank haha

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Holy shit. really?!!! WestPole just sent me his retired Aero Mega and I ordered the .8 coils for it. So, I can use the new .5 coils? Cool beans (BeanTown slang). I think this tank is nice looking and well built. My first Kanger anything! Thanks, ButtKickers

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Marine grade brass does not contain lead...it is also the chosen material for numerous mods, attys, drip tips. So basically this is a non issue. I would be curious to see an atomiser head that lasted so long that the plating wore off.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Holy shit. really?!!! WestPole just sent me his retired Aero Mega and I ordered the .8 coils for it. So, I can use the new .5 coils? Cool beans (BeanTown slang). I think this tank is nice looking and well built. My first Kanger anything! Thanks, ButtKickers
Yeah as my go anywhere device I love the aero mega with .8 and 1.0 Coils

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Roger I am not attacking Most of the stuff from China is brass plated I have never heard of Naval Brass being the only safe material it still begs an answer and something to back it up. If X person wants me to sign something I need empirical proof that I'm not jumping on some bandwagon with no good reasoning behind it.
Sorry I will Clarify If Brass is a material in a atty it should be Naval Brass. SS is fine for a Atomizer. And in Many RDA,s paled pos/neg posts are often plated,depending on the quality of the plating IMO this is also OK. I think the is with the Aspire Products mentioned is they were advertised as beibg Stainless,omitting the part about chimneys being plated Brass.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-atomizers-they-safe-how-do-i-clean-them.html
http://localvape.com/products/flawless-tugboat-atomizer-naval-brass

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes ma'am! As soon as those big square sub tank heads are available, I'm buying some to hopefully bring the old mega out of retirement lol

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In this tutorial, he shows some of the problem with the ceramic that is flaking off as it ages. I've heard other people mention odd little prezzies in their mouths. Cranking up the watts on an Atlantis and lung hitting might be foolish.

For now, I've ceased using all Aspire BVCs that I haven't rebuilt myself.

He fiddles with getting the cotton back into the head in that rebuild. Just take a punch and knock out the inner saddle, build in it, wrap it, and press the upper barrel back on. Remember to line up one set of holes with the notches in the saddle.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am just going to wait and get the Kanger Sub Tank Coils use Organic Cotton. Vote with my wallet

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hey Ape, I suppose you are equally vehement about the new Kanger Sub Tank right? I mean, since they have chrome plated brass premade coils? And since these coils are right at the heat source they are a much greater danger considering the proximity to high heat and the chance for leeching lead is tremendously greater than a chimney that is chrome plated brass and sustains a much lower level of heat right?.

In all fairness, you need to be very vocal about staying away from Kanger products.

I anxiously await your condemnation of Kanger, uhmm... how did you put it, "shit".

VU Sponsors