Become a Patron!

Making a Mechmod

Hello, I am making my own mechmod. I am going to mainly use a lathe. I would like to hear suggestions, and things that I may have missed. I have been thinking about making my own mod for weeks now, and now I think it's time. I designed one with the help of the program fusion 360. I am open for changes, and other helpfull tips.
I have attached pic of the blueprint. Take a look, and give me your thoughts. I know the button needs some change and so on, but this is still WIP.

Mechmod.PNG

Thor

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks good to me except. . If i was making my own tube mod.... I'd go for 2xxxx batteries instead of 18xxx..... if only for the extra run time.
I would also design the button around using a spring rather than magnets... with an adjustable contact. Adjustable throw to the switch would be nice also. But not if it adds too much overall length.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Looks good to me except. . If i was making my own tube mod.... I'd go for 2xxxx batteries instead of 18xxx..... if only for the extra run time.
I would also design the button around using a spring rather than magnets... with an adjustable contact. Adjustable throw to the switch would be nice also. But not if it adds too much overall length.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. I understand what you're meaning with the 2xxxx battery, but I am going for an 18650 because I am not really interested in investing in a new one. I have thought about the spring idea, and it seems like a good idea. So far my idea was to just have the button loose, and just push the whole battery into the 510 connection, which I'd have to adjust manually on the 510 pin. Weight won't be a problem, I am going to make it out of aluminium and copper, I just forgot to change the material type for the tube and the "lid".

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
your design reminds me of the tomahawk x by jdtech (heres a review with disassembly and pics of how the switch works). they use a magnet plate in the top to keep the battery off the 510, and its only a couple mm longer than your design (making it the shortest 18650 tube afaik). i like your design quite a bit. if i was going to change anything it would be the bottom cap being so much wider than the tube...but thats just a visual/aesthetic thing. i love it when tubes look seamless and smooth....

VU Sponsors