Become a Patron!

Making my own battery pack?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Been sick of the low vapor production/ lack of taste in my CE5 clearomizer with a cheap ego battery. Since then I've learned to rebuild coils and whatnot. I've even upgraded to a Mini Protank 3 (clone). The mini protank was 8 bucks, and my battery was about 7. As you can see, I'm cheap and don't want to empty all of my money into vaping.
It seems the next upgrade I need is a battery with higher output. My ego battery's highest setting is about 4.2 volts I believe. I want to know if I can just get perhaps three rechargeable AA batteries and connect them in a series to the ego thread and button. That would be 4.5volts, 5.5 if I used four batteries.
They don't have to be AA batteries either. I just thought I'd experiment with that.

So the question is: For a mod-level experience in flavor, how many volts should my battery pack produce (given my coil rebuilds are between 1.2 and 2 ohms), and what type of (inexpensive) batteries are out there that can be used safely for vaping?

Don't worry about the battery enclosure; I know how to make one that is safe from overheating or shorting out. Remember, I'm looking to heighten my vaping experience without spending much more money, so please don't suggest a battery pack unless it is within my 10-15$ vape hardware budget. I mean, why spend 50 bucks on a fancy battery pack if I could easily figure out how to make my own?

Thanks

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Considering that it's clear that you're unfamiliar with vaping hardware, battery types/safety, and ohms law I would strongly recommend picking up a regulated mod to get you started. An istick 30 or 50 watt would give you more than enough headroom to build your knowledge and experience safely, without completely breaking the bank. Then you can grab a rebuildable dripper or tank to replace that shitty clearo. Together, your overall vaping experience will improve exponentially, and from there you'll only have to buy juice and the occasional bag of cotton. Cheap as cheap can be, and you won't accidentally blow your fingers off.

You think that you know how to make a safe battery enclosure, and maybe you do, but do you know how to handle switching that kind of amperage safely? Again, maybe you do, but if you don't and think that wiring a simple momentary switch inline will do the trick them you'll be unpleasantly surprised if the switch happens to weld itself shut and the mod continues to autofire. Might not happen at higher ohms, but then again...

I know, you're cheap, and that's OK, but smokes are $10/pack which adds up fast, so anything that keeps you away from them is worthwhile and will pay for itself IMO. No need to cheap out on being safe. Fingers are costly to reattach.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't even...

*le_sigh*

Fuck.

Okay. AA batteries put out a pitifully low amperage. I believe it's somewhere in the order of... 1 amp or so. They're 1.5 volt batteries. To even begin to subohm safely and effectively with AA batteries you would need 20 packs of 3 AA batteries in series run in parallel. That's 90 batteries to even begin to approach safety with AA batteries.

So let's talk.

Firstly, you don't know shit about battery safety or ohms law. You don't know know shit about batteries period actually. You're grasp of current, voltage, resistance, and materials is nonexistent. I don't want you rebuilding. Not with what you currently know. I sure as hell don't want you trying to build a fucking battery pack out of AA batteries.

Look a Kanger Kbox is about 40 bucks. A Kanger Sub-Tank is about 40 bucks. Those should be your next upgrades. Paying to have your hand put back together after you blow it off with this shit idea will be much, much more expensive than $80 dollars. Besides, I've had 3 degree burns before. You don't want them. Trust me.

Now, put the shitty AA batteries. Get some real High Drain batteries. Realize there's a reason we use 18650 batteries. Get some common sense. And stop shitposting.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not going to be as harsh as @Number3124 here, but I will weigh in and say this is a very bad idea.

That, and no amount of power is going to get you vastly improved results on a Protank - you might be able to push enough power to burn the coils, but is that really your goal?

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not going to be as harsh as @Number3124 here, but I will weigh in and say this is a very bad idea.

That, and no amount of power is going to get you vastly improved results on a Protank - you might be able to push enough power to burn the coils, but is that really your goal?

*rereads* Wow. I really did come off harsh. I'm getting sick of people skipping Battery Safety 101 though. This is basic shit that anyone attempting this should study first though. I don't think I was being unreasonable. Harsh? Yes. Fair? Yes

I've seen a lot of these sorts of threads pop up in the short time that I've been with this forum. It always ends with the user ignoring everyone's advice and doing stupid stuff anyway.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
*rereads* Wow. I really did come off harsh. I'm getting sick of people skipping Battery Safety 101 though. This is basic shit that anyone attempting this should study first though. I don't think I was being unreasonable. Harsh? Yes. Fair? Yes

I've seen a lot of these sorts of threads pop up in the short time that I've been with this forum. It always ends with the user ignoring everyone's advice and doing stupid stuff anyway.
It's a Catch-22. You want to post helpful information and keep people safe without chasing them off using "Use the search function, noob!" type responses, but so many questions seem to involve doing things with batteries that are borderline suicidal...this is a rather unique one, though, I'll give the OP credit on that.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a Catch-22. You want to post helpful information and keep people safe without chasing them off using "Use the search function, noob!" type responses, but so many questions seem to involve doing things with batteries that are borderline suicidal...this is a rather unique one, though, I'll give the OP credit on that.

Yes. He made me scratch my head for a good ten minutes then go through the other threads he's made. That's when I decided I'd just yell at him for a good few minutes for the burning that search caused my eyes. Also for the five ml of juice I had to vape to keep my sanity.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes. He made me scratch my head for a good ten minutes then go through the other threads he's made. That's when I decided I'd just yell at him for a good few minutes for the burning that search caused my eyes. Also for the five ml of juice I had to vape to keep my sanity.
Ouch - I remember some of those other disasters, now that I've looked.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a reason we use the stuff we talk about on this forum. Because it works. I mean you could get a cheap mech mod on FT, and a few Samsung 25r batteries and vape a .5 ohm subtank. You;d also need a changer. The sweet thing about those iSticks, is they have a built in changer and battery.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Number3124 ....I just did the same painful search...I should be sleeping I know but curiosity got the best of me and now my lazy eye is twitching and my good one is tearing up with remorse and regret....

This guy has me dumbfounded between wondering if it's a troll or just the poster child for my stereotype theory I've ranted about in many posts before. The OP clearly doesn't want to listen to any advice that isn't the answer he wants to hear and is unwilling to learn any other way than threw pain...especially if he's sitting there in another thread saying his shitty ebay battery is shocking him, but it's ok, even though he wants to know why and when he's told he argues....

I don't think you were hard enough on him. I don't think he wants help. I think he wants to hurt himself and advertise that fact here looking for sympathy. I am sorry if I am sounding harsh but anyone who doesn't get the point from electroshock therapy that the line between cheap and stupid is the size of the grand canyon is heading for disaster.

@rj9923 ...you are a danger to yourself and to others if you think you can make a battery pack out of primary AA batteries. It actually costs about 50 bucks in materials to make a safe battery enclosure for what you're wanting to do. Sure you can do it for less if you have the proper wiring and soldering iron...but you still need the batteries, the sled, the MOSFET and the proper switch, and resistors....not just the cheapest shit with those words googled in the title either. Even a bare bones purely mechanical box is going to cost a bit of coin to get the necessary bits of copper to do it right. There are several websites and youtube videos dedicated to this process and even an entire forum. My advice to you would to be researching all of them before you attempt it. Just because old homemade 3.7 volt battery mods were modded from AA battery boxes doesn't mean that they actually used AA's. The batteries in your cheap ass eGo pens are either LiPo packs or low drain ICRs that can't handle what you're doing to them and they're letting you know the hard way if they're shocking you.

This is the best advice I can give you and only hope you see the light and error in your thought process.

VU Sponsors