Become a Patron!

Marrying 18650s that have one charge/discharge and Mod help please :)

What would you choose?

• Rx 2/3 with 'Once Used' 18650s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DNA 200 with LiPo pack - I have 2 (one on, one off)

• Other - Please comment :)

• Total voters

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the 2/3 and the 200s. I love them both and they share married batteries. I always use the 2/3 in 3 batt mode as I need the long life. I vape a TFV8 almost exclusively. I absolutely LOVE it. As far as a DNA200. I've considered one many times. I have 5 boxes that I rotate between. While I know DNA devices are supposed to be the pinnacle, I just don't see the reason for the extra expense when the 2/3 and 200S do everything I need. The Reuleaux's feel great in the hand and sit on a desk or in a car cup holder perfect. I do USB charge on mine occasionally and that works fine. I've had no issues and despite claims that it isn't balanced charging, my batteries test out as perfectly balanced. I do charge externally too. I think in the past the DNA devices had many advantages but today, these new devices do just as much and are more than enough for most people at 1/3 the cost. Also, when it comes to updates, you won't beat Wismec. They've had the easiest updates to do. I think you'd be completely satisfied with a 2/3 if you got one. Personally I would buy it a new set of batteries but that's just me. Batteries are so cheap, why not.

As far as build quality, the Reuleaux's are tanks. I've dropped mine out of a semi truck onto pavement and besides some scratches, there's no damage. They are probably the toughest mods I've owned.

My husband uses a TFV8 on an IPV6X which is dual 18650's. He vapes at 130 watts. A dual 18650 device can handle the TFV8 just fine. I will say that his IPV6X has all the same features as the Reuleaux's but is definitely WAY more efficient in battery use.

Also, batteries are married to each other, not a device. As long as you keep the same batteries together, you can safely swap them between devices.
I have the RX200s as well and there is nothing wrong with it for the price (except it's not pocket friendly).

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
@Banshee Ahh, of course. I'm dog tired and thought it was another model. I should probably call it a night as I'm starting to get fuzzy.

Thanks @Banshee, @SirRichardRear and everyone else who has chimed in this evening. I'll let you guys know what I decide once I've made a decision. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@SirRichardRear ... damn you... now I'm thinking of buying an alien again just because I do think it looks cool as hell and you say Smok has come a long way. I'll make you a deal. I'll buy an alien and you buy a 2/3 then let's compare notes. What's one more mod in an already oversized collection?
Lol nah I just brought a home slice today and 2 alien mods last week. I'm good for a while. I'd recommend a g2 over an alien anyday though

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@Banshee Yeah I started making my own juice quite early on in my vaping journey all thanks to the Aspire Odyssey. That thing drank tons of the stuff then burnt it to hell so I ended up wasting about £40 of premium juice before mixing my own then finally giving in.. I'm sure my juice won't win awards, but I have a pretty good all day vape that's similar to Billow. I buy diamond mist nic, VG from whatever food company is cheapest at the time, and all my flavourings from Decedant Vapours here in the UK... Great company and they lab test all their stuff and make sure it's free of the nasties. I almost gave up on vaping at the point where that Odyssey kit rinsed and burned my premium juices. I had pretty much given up and accepted that I would die a smoker. Hence why I owe a lot to the Yihi and Elite Tank 2. They aren't perfect, but they did the impossible. I now prefer vaping to cigarettes - some friends of mine vape nic free and still smoke, but I'm a total convert now. Maybe it's my bad experiences, but I am skeptical and tentative about any new purchases so tend to approach carefully (hence the 500 questions and opening essay). In terms of juice, I tend to favour a slightly higher nicotine and to 'puff-pause-puff' rather than thrash the clouds and need a lower nic level, so mixing my own juice has given me the flexibility to experiment without bankrupting me, and keeps my monthly vaping cost to about £8. Not £100 :p if I could get a month out of one of those TFV8 coils, that would be cheaper than the 2 ET2 Ni200s I use.

@SirRichardRear yeah, DNA 133 isn't an option.. I can't afford the more premium DNA 200 and the 133 won't cut it. Imagine how I felt trying the TFV8 on a 75w Yihi :p what G3 do you mean? I'm only finding some cheapo ego thing.. Pretty sure that's not what you mean (sorry, it's late here and getting tired).

Well your in luck dna250 boards give 167 watts in dual battery mode. Just have to wait for them. Also look for deals. There was hotcig dna 200s going for 60 bucks not to long ago

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I have the RX200s as well and there is nothing wrong with it for the price (except it's not pocket friendly).
Not saying it's bad. Just not something I'd recommend

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just can't get past the look of the G2. That's just me though. Honestly I don't need the alien, I just like how it looks. It's getting to harder to sneak new boxes and to beat hubs to the mailbox anyways. Everyday something new is coming for me and he just shakes his head.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I just can't get past the look of the G2. That's just me though. Honestly I don't need the alien, I just like how it looks. It's getting to harder to sneak new boxes and to beat hubs to the mailbox anyways. Everyday something new is coming for me and he just shakes his head.
Lol my wife can't say anything with all the stuff she buys.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't choose any of those options. I don't like the 2/3 and I do use a DNA 200 with a lipo but only one and no back up battery. The Vaporshark DNA200 charges in around an hour so no need for spares.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I didn't choose any of those options. I don't like the 2/3 and I do use a DNA 200 with a lipo but only one and no back up battery. The Vaporshark DNA200 charges in around an hour so no need for spares.
An hour is a long time to go without a vape lol

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It is and I never roll out with just one mod. I also pop it on the charger when it gets to about 40-50% so I'm waiting too long.
Nice

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've looked at the G2 to see if the import costs etc make it feasible, and I'm not sure that it is. Not when the Smok Alien is available in the UK for next to nothing. Has anyone seen the Smok G-Priv? Looks pretty sweet: http://www.smoktech.com/kit/g-priv
I've seen it. not for me personally. touch screen mods don't have the best track record. Alien is a great mod though

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While it's hard for us to understand how we managed in the past with cellphones without touchscreens, we're not quite there yet with mods.
Touchscreen for a mod is not really needed, it's another part that can break down and it makes the mod more expensive.
I'd recommend the Xcobe Ultra, Alien and H-priv, before the G-priv.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree. The touch screen looks cool, but you have to consider durability. A touch screen mod would last me less than a day. With as much picking up, setting down, knocking over, etc we do with our boxes, a touch screen wouldn't last very many of us very long. Now if they actually used something like gorilla glass on them, then maybe, but I don't think they are. Just imagine tossing this in a pocket with keys... I do think it's funny how customers who preordered it are already posting reviews when they haven't actually gotten their hands on it. But then again, when the reviewers use words like "awesomist" I really need to consider the source.

Last edited:

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Well, I've ordered an Alien... lets see how things go with that :) I'll report when it's here.

I love all the suggestions people have given, but the Alien appears to be a quality unit that is available here in the UK for a mere £58 with the Baby tank.. or £48 without. Less from China (but I want it yesterday)... watch this space.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm sure you will love it. I know it's similar in size and shape to the IPV6X and that's a comfortable box to hold. It is very cool looking and I'd be tempted to order one myself if I could justify spending more money on vape stuff. I think I've gone way over my limit this last week. I'm excited to read how you like it. How long will it take to get to you? Do you have the ability to track the package like we do here in the US?

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
It's here! :)

I've set everything up how I'd like it, 80w to start as this in uncharted territory for me.

I've just got a question about the battery levels shown on the display:

Eah1vVI.jpg

I noticed that battery B is showing slightly less charge than battery A after a couple of puffs. Is this the norm for this mod or is this a sign that the batteries have already have differences? Both these batteries have only had one charge and discharge so I am hoping this is normal..

Edit: I've just checked both cells with a DMM, and they both read the same voltage, so I'm going to assume this is a slight mod discrepancy.

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's here! :)

I've set everything up how I'd like it, 80w to start as this in uncharted territory for me.

I've just got a question about the battery levels shown on the display:

Eah1vVI.jpg

I noticed that battery B is showing slightly less charge than battery A after a couple of puffs. Is this the norm for this mod or is this a sign that the batteries have already have differences? Both these batteries have only had one charge and discharge so I am hoping this is normal..

Edit: I've just checked both cells with a DMM, and they both read the same voltage, so I'm going to assume this is a slight mod discrepancy.

Upgrading the software to V1.2.2 should fix it, or so I've read.

I have had a pair of Aliens for about a week now. Absolutely love them. So does my wife. I hope you enjoy yours!

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Nice, thanks. I'll give that a try. I'm on 1.2.1 so that very well could be it.

Do you have any idea what the [N] next to the wattage is? I can't find any reference to it in the manual. I thought it could mean Nickel, but I thought these coils were Stainless Steel? Actually, I've just seen in the manual that this changes to an [H] in temp control mode so it's probably something to do with the mode you're in. This is nothing like my Yihi, but I'm loving it so far! Only small downside is that I'm left handed and like to fire with my thumb, so the screen faces my palm - but it's not a big thing.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nice, thanks. I'll give that a try. I'm on 1.2.1 so that very well could be it.

Do you have any idea what the [N] next to the wattage is? I can't find any reference to it in the manual. I thought it could mean Nickel, but I thought these coils were Stainless Steel? Actually, I've just seen in the manual that this changes to an [H] in temp control mode so it's probably something to do with the mode you're in. This is nothing like my Yihi, but I'm loving it so far! Only small downside is that I'm left handed and like to fire with my thumb, so the screen faces my palm - but it's not a big thing.

You can adjust the ramp up time for the coil. In the menu, under Mode. S for soft. N for normal. H for hard. This is for Watt mode, too. I don't use Temp mode since I'm not building coils yet.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The stock coils are regular old kanthol wire. Only the shiny casing is stainless, as far as I know.

I'm the opposite on the firing. I like being able to pick it up in either hand and just giving it squeeze to fire it.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Ahh, ok makes sense. My Yihi has the same sort of thing I just didn't make the connection.

It's slightly misleading of Smok then, because the wording in the manual for the baby tank makes it look like they are stainless. Unless they are and the TFV8 beast isn't. Anyway, not too fussed.

I'm not sure if I'll build coils for this yet after all. I originally thought a 3pk would cost me about £15 but I see they have them at Fast Tech for about £8 for a 3pk. This is less than the elite tank coils were costing me so all they have to do is last about the same time (2 weeks) and I'll be pleased. It was getting difficult to get the Elite Tank coils and they weren't available at Fast Tech, so changing to this is definitely a bonus in terms of that. If I do go down the route of rebuilding, they sell the decks separately too.

I've had quite a bit of time to use it today and my impressions are:

Pros: very good performance for the price, good build quality, great display with lots of info, compact - 2 cells in that small form factor, new coils detection when disconnecting/reconnecting atty, excellent 510.

Cons: pressing the 2 buttons below the screen to lock/unlock is a bit 'Alien' (pardon the pun!), designed for right handers (as mentioned above), the manual SUCKS (but then it's also for advanced users, so maybe to be expected)

Neutral: it's smaller in the hand than I'm used to, I feel like I'm going to drop it... It needs a silicone cover (on order), my Yihi had a display of how much you'd drained out of the battery.. This could be the amps display, but not sure at the moment.

This is a very limited observation and probably doesn't do it justice. It's just what I've noticed so far.

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can turn off the autolock in the menu if you want. Also, 5 fast clicks of the power bar turn it on/off.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Auto lock is off, I just meant for when I had to get out the car and sling it in my pocket. However, 5 clicks is exactly what I was after. I was used to 3 clicks with my Yihi. :)

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree about the manual. Total waste of paper, lol. What I know I learned from trial and error, and finding help around this forum. :cheers:

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
I'll have a look through that thread, cheers. :)

All the stuff I've ordered for this mod and tank are from Fast Tech who are a pretty awesome and very tidy operation with excellent pricing. I came across them when I started vaping but they sell tons of other stuff. They sell authentic and clones and are always clear about which is which. It will say "authentic" in the title if it is, and I have found this to always be truthful.

www.fasttech.com

Search for "Smok Alien" and "Smok TFV8". I think you can also search by product number. Try 6062802 and 6062803. I also got some really nice drip tips and coloured tank glass.

qoBfdpR.jpg

I like the look of these for many reasons. They'll look great on the TFV8 and they'll also bring the drip tip size in a little as it's pretty fricken huge. :p

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use fasttech for a few things, but it usually takes 2 weeks to ship. Silly U.S. FDA regulations.

Groovy tips :shades:
That TFV8 works best with a lot of airflow.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
That's why I got these too in case the others garrotte the air flow:

TcJ9mmT.jpg

I order a TON on the net and a lot comes from China on either eBay, wish, DHgate etc, so the wait is kinda part and parcel of it all :)

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So glad you're happy with it!! Sounds like you made the perfect choice for you. It looks great!

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Thanks. :) I'll post a pic of the finished article when all the eye candy arrives. Thanks again to all who have given input.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks. :) I'll post a pic of the finished article when all the eye candy arrives. Thanks again to all who have given input.

I've gotten 2 weeks out of a couple of the Q2 0.4 ohm dual coils. The only T8 octuple coil I've tried has started acting up after just 4 days. The ohm reading changes everytime I put it back on the mod. The T8 seems slightly better for flavor and cloud production, but they cost a few $$$ more everywhere I've looked. Taste is highly subjective anyway. Everyone is different.

Looking forward to pics :)

Last edited:

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Just a note on the battery level display....

I've upgraded to firmware 1.2.2 but it doesn't appear to have fixed the issue. The change log for 1.2.2 listed a few other things including a misfiring issue, but not the battery level display. Cell B still shows a slightly lower reading than cell A.

Once again, I took the cells out and tested with a DMM and the voltage was identical (at the point I checked both 3.80v) so I am going to conclude that this is still a firmware issue. It's always cell B that shows to be lower than A, and if I swap the cells round and power back on, B is still the weaker one.

I forgot to check the depleted cells I've just charged before putting them in the cradle, but I will check the current two once they are depleted and see if there is a discrepancy then. I highly doubt I'll find a difference though. This is a firmware glitch through and through.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just a note on the battery level display....

I've upgraded to firmware 1.2.2 but it doesn't appear to have fixed the issue. The change log for 1.2.2 listed a few other things including a misfiring issue, but not the battery level display. Cell B still shows a slightly lower reading than cell A.

Once again, I took the cells out and tested with a DMM and the voltage was identical (at the point I checked both 3.80v) so I am going to conclude that this is still a firmware issue. It's always cell B that shows to be lower than A, and if I swap the cells round and power back on, B is still the weaker one.

I forgot to check the depleted cells I've just charged before putting them in the cradle, but I will check the current two once they are depleted and see if there is a discrepancy then. I highly doubt I'll find a difference though. This is a firmware glitch through and through.

You may want to try exchanging it at your store while you still can. That sounds similar to the issues I started having and Wismec said it needed to be exchanged for a new one. When I did exchange it, the new one worked perfectly. To simplify I said it was USB issues, but what it was is mine wouldn't USB charge past 85% and then even when I put freshly charged batteries in it it would only read 96% and would drop quickly to below 85%. Basically it wasn't reading the charge on the batteries correctly. They said for the sake of safety they wanted to exchange it. So since yours isn't reading correctly, perhaps yours could end up being a safety issue too.

Besides you paid a lot of money for a mod that's functioning correctly, you should get one that does. Just my opinion, but your local B&M should gladly exchange it for a new one and even let you test it in the store to make sure it's working correctly before you leave.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I'm considering this. It was an online order so the seller can just collect and replace it if needs be. I have 28 days by law from the retailer and 180 days under PayPal protection, so I'm not too worried about time. I've posted on the Alien thread about this first to see if the issue is widespread, ergo not a fault.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Great... Fast Tech's estimated date for dispatch has moved back from yesterday to the 23rd... I opened a support ticket and they are saying they're having a lot of problems sourcing them at the moment.

Because I need to return this alien with the battery level problem I can't really afford to wait so I've ordered from Grey Haze here in the UK. It's my first order with them, but the reviews seem to be good so if all goes well I'll have a replacement here by Friday.

VU Sponsors