Become a Patron!

mec box mod= why not

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I myself build box mods & im wondering why are there not tons of production mechanical box mods in demand I can sit here & pound away at dual 26650s run in parellel with a .12 build without anything getting hot
just seams safer... figured there would be a bigger demand for production mech boxes.... thoughts?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess that most mech users like and think that their mechs look much nicer then a box mod.
If you go old-school go all the way.

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess that most mech users like and think that their mechs look much nicer then a box mod.
Ive seen some beautiful tube mods no dought & I can understand the size deal but ive seen some real small dual 18650 mechanical boxes.... maybe im just a box mod junkie lol

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ive seen some beautiful tube mods no dought & I can understand the size deal but ive seen some real small dual 18650 mechanical boxes.... maybe im just a box mod junkie lol
I suppose its the herritage of the mod itself. Most have been tube styles since the begining.the first boxes were small 10400 size boxes up until the gripper and mpv. The high wattage,bigger-better-faster-more boxes i think are starting to lose their shine. Ive killed 2 T5 50 watt mods in 2 months.
I think the mechanical route will swing back around and the big power boxes(2x26650 mech box) will be right there waiting.

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I suppose its the herritage of the mod itself. Most have been tube styles since the begining.the first boxes were small 10400 size boxes up until the gripper and mpv. The high wattage,bigger-better-faster-more boxes i think are starting to lose their shine. Ive killed 2 T5 50 watt mods in 2 months.
I think the mechanical route will swing back around and the big power boxes(2x26650 mech box) will be right there waiting.
I think so to ive been drawing up plans for 6-8 months trying to get enough $ together to build a true production line of a dual 18650 mechanical box mods that are affordable enough for most but till then i guess ill build my hand made ones to sell 3-4 at a time, I myself toated a og silver bullet around for 4+ years so I understand why people like them but with as sub ohm as things are getting it feals safe to me haveing the extra amps.. I hope ur wright I would love to see more mech boxes out there & really get even more popular

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know i moved up to a 26650 mech for that very reason. I have a battery capable of 65 amp pulses for up to 80seconds......whith that option why would anyone rely on a 35 amp 18650?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suppose the usage of 2 batteries in a mech box mod is a way to pass the wattage advantage that the current high powered regulated box mods have at the moment.

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know i moved up to a 26650 mech for that very reason. I have a battery capable of 65 amp pulses for up to 80seconds......whith that option why would anyone rely on a 35 amp 18650?
I hear ya on that I did a .25 build on my box & ran 2 imren 26650s (parellel) from full charge down to 2.57 volts & timed it 16.5 hours... I was shocked usually dont run my batterys so low but that run time makes me able to leave the house with just a bottle of juice & my box with no extra crap

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I suppose the usage of 2 batteries in a mech box mod is a way to pass the wattage advantage that the current high powered regulated box mods have at the moment.
Yea alot of people might not even push that far but i injoy the freedom to build as low as I want without the restriction or have to worrie about some chip messing up its simple but effective

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
they are in demand but most big manufacturers that attempt it always fuck it up, better to go with individual modders that know what they're doing with mosfets, solid copper wire connections, good switches/510s, etc. since they are meant for sub ohming. and you can request parallel or series batteries when dealing with the modder depending on what you prefer

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
they are in demand but most big manufacturers that attempt it always fuck it up, better to go with individual modders that know what they're doing with mosfets, solid copper wire connections, good switches/510s, etc. since they are meant for sub ohming. and you can request parallel or series batteries when dealing with the modder depending on what you prefer
True^

Dutzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These are round figures.
Box 7.00
Sled 5.00
510 6.00
Fet 4.00
Res. .99
Switch 5.00
Wire? 2.00
Shrink 2.00
baef186577a95abf52ead512e83bfe19.jpg
85cf074962136561147d3cf895d8cdeb.jpg

32.00 Dual 18650 series box mod.

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
2014-11-03 18.51.26.jpg 2014-11-03 18.59.54.jpg

Nice here are a few of mine

Dual 26650

Last edited:

Kenneth98

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like this words mlol ,I like mech mod :)

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
where are you guys sourcing the switch? I would like a 40amp switch. I might try a dual battery box mod.

Dutzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3 amp switch. With mosfet no need. you'll never find a high amp rated switch that would even fit in these boxes.

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
3 amp switch. With mosfet no need. you'll never find a high amp rated switch that would even fit in these boxes.
I agree, before I started building box mods I used a old silver bullet with the same switch I use in my boxes for 4 years 7 daya a week on stacked batterys at 6volts (like tons of people use to do b4 the super sub ohm era) with no problems

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do u use mosfets on all ur box mods? I feal stupid for asking but what dose a mosfet actually do?

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Interesting thread.
I never knew it was so cheap to build them. Now to pay attention and hope to learn something new.... really I learn something new every day here...

A10EN

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mosfets are a small relay. They take the amps so your switch doesn't have to

Jackson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know i moved up to a 26650 mech for that very reason. I have a battery capable of 65 amp pulses for up to 80seconds.
I doubt it. Done a lot and seen a lot of load testing in my day and never seen any evidence of 'pulses' at work when vaping, unless they happen between eye blinks. :)

That your super 26650 can do 65A for 80 seconds is quite frankly ridiculous. Sorry.

Krom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What is the actual calculation for continuos amp discharge for two batteries in parallel? Do the values just add, like the mAh? If so, that makes me wanna set this up... Kinda makes me think of making a stubby box using some 18350s that i can throw on a desk just for funsies, lol.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have yet to see a pic of a mechanical box mod on this thread

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Guess I should have said "semi-mechanical"^.. till i design a good spring or magnetic switch to make it a TRUE mechanical box mod my boxes will remain semi-mechanical

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Show us a couple you've made. Thread is doing just fine without your snide comments.
When my Fire Pipes box arrives I'll post pics. In the meantime I can post a few of the UNREGULATED BOX MODS that I've built. I was not being snide. Just pointing out the difference. Fragile temper much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't respond. Not necessary.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Guess I should have said "semi-mechanical"^.. till i design a good spring or magnetic switch to make it a TRUE mechanical box mod my boxes will remain semi-mechanical
My favourite boxes are my unregulated ones. They never fail and do not try to make vaping decisions for me.

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looked at the brakedown of a fire pipes box... really digging how it all works, Ive really been likeing the look of the dimitri
283ee0aec5812db3223b58c60ef00b3a_1024x1024.jpeg 8ca989678cf0a501b64f46a95011df6e_1024x1024.jpeg

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That Dimitri is sexy! Whilst I'm awaiting my Fire Pipes....I got distracted by this purchase.
lPOb7Xl.png

zozKYza.png

Gotta love a custom one-off!

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not a true mechanical?^ I see a momentary switch.... that looks badass btw who built it?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I local woodworker mate of mine. And no, it is not a true mech. In fact, he is awaiting the delivery of a DNA 40 board for my next wood box.

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I local woodworker mate of mine. And no, it is not a true mech. In fact, he is awaiting the delivery of a DNA 40 board for my next wood box.
Sounds like someone to become friends with lol. Cant wait to see more of his work

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
This can be arranged.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Another piece he did for me in Black Palm
S1PQFWm.png

IsPrQKp.png

Some other pieces he displayed at the local vape meet tonight. The Black Palm wood in the above pics was a one time deal.
nE8tF1F.png

Those are the only others he intends on making. The detailing is not inlaid....all butcher blocked.

SHARK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Damn that black palm looks amazing!
How are they wired? No mosfets?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have two more full mech boxes en route.

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That Dimitri is sexy! Whilst I'm awaiting my Fire Pipes....I got distracted by this purchase.

zozKYza.png

Gotta love a custom one-off!

That's a pretty cool box! I wanted to try something with a similar battery / atty layout, but was unable to come up with a solution I liked. Your guy nailed it!

VU Sponsors