Become a Patron!

mech mod, a bomb waiting to explode?

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello all. I am posting this to hopfuly gain some insight for a person i ran into the other day

I have been vaping for almost a year and I have no problems. i did alot of research when i started out. i build my own coils and use an ohm reader and calculator to make sure everything is safe. i also have a fancy smart charger and never let my batteries get below 3.7

I met this person the other day who has been vaping for a couple months. this person knows absolutely nothing about ohms or batteries. so when he realized that i was knowledgeable on the subject he started asking me a bunch of questions that really scared me. he is using a mech mod with a dripper and knows absolutely nothing. i tested a battery for him that he said was not working right and it read out to just over 2 volts the battery was hot to the touch when i pulled it out of the mod. and later on i seen him put the thing in his pocket without locking the ring.

the audacity of retailers to not teach people about these products is insane. I have never had a problem but I have read stories and seen pictures online of battery venting.

I would like some other peoples opinions on this and maybe what i can so to help people from blowing their hand up

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't use mechs, and won't because its not that I'm scared of batteries, but I personally like having the protection features regulated/variable devices give me, and I like to be able to tune my experience so to speak. As far as what we as vapers can do to possibly help prevent others from harming themselves I dont really know besides trying to educate them on the simple things like turn it off / lock it when you put it away. If it gets hot pull the battery, change it, charge it, whatever. Don't use junk batteries? I recently bought a cheap 18650 for a flashlight, but I would never use a sub par battery in a mechanical. Hopefully people start learning about these things or others are gonna start hurting themselves more.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The biggest thing for anyone to remember is to keep using the lock on the mod, and do your homework before you take the test and if you're not sure have someone show you a build.
I've had my mod for around a year and I always used the lock and that one day I was driving to work and smelled something
" oh no!!! my mod !!" it was firing for who knows how long but it was very very hot.

I've never had a problem vaping until I notice the battery is dying/dead, switch and recharge .

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The only thing you can do is to educate and make posts like the one you just did. I was at a local B&M in my area a few days ago when one of the shop attendants built a dripper for a young woman so she could blow clouds. She had a Vanilla mod and a derringer clone. I nearly lost it when she showed me her battery in the mod, a 5 amp Panasonic, the derringer build was 0.13 Ohms!! I verified it with my little rechargeable Ohm Meter. The shop knowingly sold her a 5 amp battery to go into her mechanical. After having a blunt, really blunt conversation with the store owner, he exchanged the battery for a vamped 40 amp battery. God, was I pissed off at that moron! That was just an accident waiting to happen.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
A chainsaw is an invaluable tool, but it's also an accident waiting to happen. So it goes with mech mods. I got lucky.

The kid at the vape store where I bought my first mech mod built dual parallel coils for me that ended up being 0.20 ohms. They were out of good batteries, but they told me it was okay to buy this other brand. It wasn't. My mod would constantly get hot, and I ended up going back that same day to buy a pyrex drip tip because the metal one I had was also getting hot. It wasn't until later that night after doing some reading that I discovered that I was literally playing with fire. Never used that battery again.

Never visited that vape store again, either.

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Johnny, you forgot to lock it that one day? I am relieved to hear nothing bad happened.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Unfortunately it's common for B&M's to have horribly uninformed employees working at them. I place most of the blame on the shop owners.
Along with attempting to personally educate someone, direct them here. We'll help too.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've seen vape shop owners smoking, which is a good testament that they could care less about the products they are selling, probably just see it as a higher profit margin as opposed to selling cigarettes. Regulations are coming, probably sooner and harsher than later and reasonable, so I'm sure that also contributes to a mindset of maximizing profit as quickly and cheaply as possible. That basically means hiring from the cheapest labor pool, stocking low cost inventory and doing whatever you can to move product off your shelves.

That's one reason why I prefer to support smaller B&M's that carry mostly authentic products as opposed to stocking more mass produced china wares, I think there is way more pride in what they do, and the quality and knowledge of the employees is night and day.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A thought while reading this crossed my mind,
maybe some if not all sellers/vendors could look into a general manual to give out with all purchases explaining Ohm law, battery safety, hazards Etc.
Even a hand out that could be easily printed right off the webs, with each sale, same on internet sales with a PDF file.
Not that the buyer would read it, but as an added step toward safety.
Carry on:)

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Speaking of chainsaws, I bought one from a hardware store. A little electric one for some small trees that grew in my yard. Nobody at the store gave me a safety lecture, or told me that I needed oil for the chain, or showed me how to adjust it. I knew nothing about electric chainsaws, so I had to figure it out as I went.

Many devices use batteries that are as dangerous as e-cig batteries (cellphone, laptop, etc) and I've never been taught battery safety by the salesperson. I didn't really even understand the dangers until I started vaping.

Your safety is precisely that... yours. If a vape shop concerns themselves with your safety, that is a nice touch and makes them an above average shop, but it isn't really their responsibility. Caveat emptor is a saying so old we know it in Latin. Let the buyer beware. Sure, it applied more to contracts and property sales at the time, but it is still true today. It's easy to blame someone else when we do something wrong and it harms us, but it really is up to us to protect our own safety interests.

I was at a vape shop the other day and asked the salesman about batteries. I told him I had a .08 ohm build and which batteries would be best for it. He said he didn't really recommend going that low, but advised me to get VTC4 batteries. Of course, I don't really vape that low, but I thought it was a good job by him. Simple advice, then let me worry about my own face.
TT

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I sometimes wonder if the dangers are not being harped enough by those of us in the know.

A lack of good batteries and their availability isn't helping matters either. It used to be real easy to
suggest to a person starting to sub ohm to just get Sony vtc batts. Now, the market is flooded with
a bunch of choices confusing new vapers who are sub ohming mech's before they are ready to.

I came up with a signature line today to help harp on this issue. Maybe a good idea for other
mechanical aficionados to do the same? Beat the drum a little louder ya know. There are too many
people venting batts these days!

Last edited:

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMO the awareness really needs to be pressed on all vaping fronts. It is so important that if a consumer is getting into vaping and has never built/doesn't know the safety that the shop or retailer should be letting everyone know about safety. It would take them about 2 minutes to give them a quick crash course on battery safety. Futhermore. These shops need to stop just trying to make a sale and guide their customers in the direction that they believe is best for them. If they are noobs try regulated devices and a tank not a mech mod and rda.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The big issue I have is shops are knowingly in a lot of cases selling Susy blonde bimbo a mechanical, dripper, batteries etc and building their coils knowing it is potentially dangerous. So many people are getting in to vaping because it looks cool to make smoke come out your nose. Happening more and more every day. I'm still using an MVP 2 for fucks sake and pperfectly happy with my vape experience, don't need no stinking clouds to keep me off stinkies. Part of the issue is I know people are trying to sell whatever they can at whatever price they can to make a profit. For example, I go in to the vape shop the other day just to get some juice, convenient and close. I've been in there a few times and since I seem knowledgeable they don't really try to sell me the next big thing cuz I ain't biting. Anyway, the guy before me walked out with God knows what, appeared to be a 4 bay battery charger a mechanical some batteries, etcetera. The chick behind the counter was bragging to the other customer in there about how awesome a sale she just made, but he had discounts or whatever. The dude may have gotten a great setup, I dunno. But if someone is new to vaping sell em a spinner and an evod/aspire whatever simple tank get them started. Hope I'm wrong but my perception of the whole ordeal was I just screwed this guy even with his discounts. I.know the business model is always to sell and make money for any business. Maybe I'm a little old fashioned, but when it comes to people's safety, which I believe mechanicals especially can have problems if used improperly and from what im seeing its not hard to blow yourself up. I dunno, I just wouldn't feel right knowingly selling someone unsafe gear. However, IMHO not knowing what you're selling and the precautions that need to be taken is just as bad. If u can't build a coil, understand ohms law and battery limits etc, dont try to sell a product u yourself can't even use properly.

Al_T

Member For 4 Years
The biggest mistake people make is buying knockoff batteries or the wrong battery. Just because it's a 18650 does not mean it's right for your mod. I have great luck with the Efest IMR 35a Hugh drain batteries. They do not even get warm.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A thought while reading this crossed my mind,
maybe some if not all sellers/vendors could look into a general manual to give out with all purchases explaining Ohm law, battery safety, hazards Etc.
Even a hand out that could be easily printed right off the webs, with each sale, same on internet sales with a PDF file.
Not that the buyer would read it, but as an added step toward safety.
Carry on:)
I agree, would also be nice if the manufacturer put some type of instructions with their mods/rta etc as well. Chinglish tho may be hard to read. U vape now, no go battery too hot, firecracker face explode or some sushi.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Educating an employee about battery safety would take 10 minutes. I like the manual idea. Talk to them for a couple minutes and give them a simple guide to review. They should be available at the counter for customers as well.
A case for buyer beware could be made. However, the potential dangers of high drain batteries is not common knowledge. Every device I can think of that uses li-ion batteries has circuitry that regulates their output. An unregulated mod is a pretty unique device. Also, buying a chainsaw and being told nothing about how to safely use it isn't the same as being sold an unsafe vape setup and being told to use it in an unsafe way. If the chainsaw salesman told you to use nitroglycerin as fuel for the chainsaw and it came with a fuel tank already full of nitroglycerin.....

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice title topic for anti-vape people to google search. Won't be long before all mechs are banned by lawmakers reading press generated bullshit

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I wanna know how many people do that in other lines of work. If you sell cars and a guy comes in wanting to buy a Corvette, do you give him a driving test before you sell it to him? Sorry, sir. You're not a very good driver and this is a really fast car. Could I show you this Buick with dual air bags?

Don't get me wrong, my ex was a terrible cook. The local grocery store could have saved me a trip to the ER had they tested her cooking skills before selling her pork. But they didn't. And she bought it. And the rest is history.

It's never the responsibility of the business to tell the customer what to buy. It is the responsibility of the customer to know what they want and learn how to use it. I'm not opposed to a vape shop educating a customer and I've seen plenty of them do that. It's a good thing. However, I stop short of expecting vape shops to determine a vapers level of knowledge and experience and refusing to sell gear based on their conclusions.
TT

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have seen it time and time again when new vaper (as in about to become) walks into a B&M and tells the person behind the counter that he need a device that will let him/her blow big clouds.

And that totally clueless (and I don't mean that badly) individual almost always has an advanced case of "Shinyitus" and is magically drawn to the case that holds those gorgeous mech mods.

Fortunately, the B&Ms that I have visited in my area are class operations with an eye to customer safety. They do try to steer these individuals toward regulated devices such as eGo type or VV/VW gear and only sell them mechs if they will accept nothing else. And then they take all the time needed to teach them what they can in the shop and make sure they leave with a suitable battery and an ohm meter as well as links to the proper charts if not a printed chart to take with them.

And they also find out if the person is a smoker and if they are not, they go out of their way to STRONGLY suggest Zero Nic E-Liquids.

But like Zamaza pointed out, there are ignorant/lazy shop persons out there that only care about the sale.

A few months ago, I was in a very small shop where the owner (who actually knew better) would sell the customer anything they wanted, with minimal warnings. But he did make sure that they left with the proper battery and I suspect that was because it cost more and made him a bigger profit.

And I did indeed (politely) make sure I further educated that customer before he left the store while the owner gave me the "Death Stare" the whole time.

And I am sure that I am not welcome back but that is not going to stop me because the shop is in a small strip mall that is home to a burger joint where I take my daughter to lunch from time to time.

Now that my rant is out of the way, I use regulated devices for the built in protections as well as performance. Also when I purchased my first RBA, I studied the subject of ohms law pertaining to wrapping coils and triple checked my first build. While I do a pretty fair job of building these devices, there have been a few times (very few but it still happened) when a short developed for no apparent reason within hours after I first started vaping the new build and the device I was using saved my ass.

By the way, I do own one mech myself.

And I use the Evolv Kick 2 in it.

Just to cover my ass!

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Also, buying a chainsaw and being told nothing about how to safely use it isn't the same as being sold an unsafe vape setup and being told to use it in an unsafe way. If the chainsaw salesman told you to use nitroglycerin as fuel for the chainsaw and it came with a fuel tank already full of nitroglycerin.....
You're putting the responsibility of figuring out how the gear will be used on the seller instead of the buyer. Obviously, a chainsaw doesn't come with fuel. If I purchase a saw and the nitroglycerin is it his responsibility to assume I am going to fill the saw with it and direct me to oil or gas instead?

I bought a dual battery unregulated and 2 low amp batteries the other day. Should the salesman have declined the sale since those batteries couldn't be safely used for many builds in that box? Could he have sold them to me anyway only after I raised my right hand and swore that they were for my wife's ProVari?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wanna know how many people do that in other lines of work. If you sell cars and a guy comes in wanting to buy a Corvette, do you give him a driving test before you sell it to him? Sorry, sir. You're not a very good driver and this is a really fast car. Could I show you this Buick with dual air bags?

Don't get me wrong, my ex was a terrible cook. The local grocery store could have saved me a trip to the ER had they tested her cooking skills before selling her pork. But they didn't. And she bought it. And the rest is history.

It's never the responsibility of the business to tell the customer what to buy. It is the responsibility of the customer to know what they want and learn how to use it. I'm not opposed to a vape shop educating a customer and I've seen plenty of them do that. It's a good thing. However, I stop short of expecting vape shops to determine a vapers level of knowledge and experience and refusing to sell gear based on their conclusions.
TT
We're not talking about a person going into a shop and asking for a mech and a 6 amp battery and then going home and installing a build that pulls 30 amps. We're talking about a person asking for a vape setup that produces a lot of vapor and being given a setup that is built to pull 30 amps and a 6 amp battery is installed. Two completely different scenarios.

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
We're not talking about a person going into a shop and asking for a mech and a 6 amp battery and then going home and installing a build that pulls 30 amps. We're talking about a person asking for a vape setup that produces a lot of vapor and being given a setup that is built to pull 30 amps and a 6 amp battery is installed. Two completely different scenarios.
I'm not aware of any mech mod that comes with a prebuilt .1 ohm coil and a 6 amp battery. Could you point me to that device and where I can purchase it?

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There should be like a test you have to take before you are allowed to purchase a mech.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I'm not aware of any mech mod that comes with a prebuilt .1 ohm coil and a 6 amp battery. Could you point me to that device and where I can purchase it?

You can only get those from "Special" B&M's from a sadly uninformed or uncaring clerk who does not give a rats ass other than taking your money.

Reactions: Jah

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
caveat emptor

As in all things, we are responsible for our own actions. I do thing that a shop has a responsibility to set someone up a safe build, if they sale the whole thing at once. I do think a shop should let someone know about proper battery safety and operation. I do think a shop should have knowledgeable employees who have a true concern about their customers when it comes to vaping safety.
Having said all that, in the end, it is the consumers responsibility to make sure they are well versed in the proper use of the items they are using. There are loads of sites/forums/info out about what is acceptable. On the whole, this information is universal and widely accepted and agreed upon. Those shops hold a portion of the responsibility, the consumer holds the other portion of it.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
From my own experience when I first started vaping, I definatly felt overwhelmed by all the new information that was being said to me. I heard what they were saying but didnt always understand what they meant.
That said when it comes to my safety I always ask questions and re ask when needed. Especially with batteries.

Maybe some of the well experienced vapers, the ones who vapers can trust, could come up with a 10 Commandments for vaping....

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm one who thinks business ethics is an oxymoron, a contradiction. For this reason I believe shops who are a cut
above in ethical behavior should be applauded, rewarded and recommended. Of course, it's unrealistic to expect
that all business operate ethically sound. Vape shops by default then, likely will never provide the bigger portion of
vape safety information new vapers need.

I don't think vapers should be discouraged from discussing these "accidents" on the basis of perpetuating issues
our detractors potentially could make fuel of. I think the headlines bear that stain, not our discussion of intent to
stop the incidents from occurring in the future. Active participation of the vaping community to inform new vapers
of their safety responsibility is ethically sound. Active participation of the vaping community to sweep the incidents
under the rug isn't.

Last edited:

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Some very interesting points raised in this thread. Good discussion! I would contend that while a vape shop bears some responsibility for informing its customers about potential dangers, the brunt of that burden ultimately rests with the consumer.

I worked in the insurance industry for many years, and specialized in commercial insurance. Proving liability is tricky, and can fall on either side of the fence. One would have to show that a vape shop was grossly negligent, ie: selling defective products or knowingly/unknowingly selling devices that were dangerous in order for them to be liable. For example, an employee loading a battery backwards and then handing it to a customer to use, then the device explodes.

That being said, it's bad for business if your customers are blowing themselves up. Kind of a no-brainer there. It seems that at least some vape shops aren't doing a very good job of preaching about safety.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello all. I am posting this to hopfuly gain some insight for a person i ran into the other day

I have been vaping for almost a year and I have no problems. i did alot of research when i started out. i build my own coils and use an ohm reader and calculator to make sure everything is safe. i also have a fancy smart charger and never let my batteries get below 3.7

I met this person the other day who has been vaping for a couple months. this person knows absolutely nothing about ohms or batteries. so when he realized that i was knowledgeable on the subject he started asking me a bunch of questions that really scared me. he is using a mech mod with a dripper and knows absolutely nothing. i tested a battery for him that he said was not working right and it read out to just over 2 volts the battery was hot to the touch when i pulled it out of the mod. and later on i seen him put the thing in his pocket without locking the ring.

the audacity of retailers to not teach people about these products is insane. I have never had a problem but I have read stories and seen pictures online of battery venting.

I would like some other peoples opinions on this and maybe what i can so to help people from blowing their hand up
alright, its a long drawn out discussion, but the short version is this; it comes down to 'equals'. not all mods are equal, not all batteries are equal and not all shops are equal. as someone who works in a vape shop i can tell you its not audacity but a matter of liability that we generally dont teach how to build. first we tell people to do that research and learn battery safety.( batteryuniversity.com is a good place to start.)
i can spend all day long teaching people to build but what good will it do if they dont take it upon themselves to learn basic safety?that much is a responsibility we like to see the builder take on themselves.
the liability comes in when we do teach someone,they do something wrong and vent a battery then come back and say 'but i did it just like you showed me'.
well obviously not it you vented a battery.
it is a litigious,cover you ass kinda world and we have enough trouble keeping our insurance coverage without inviting problems.

we get people all the time looking for a first mech and we're more than happy to get them up an running.we'll give them all the resources they'll need. but for their part of the covenant they have to use them and educate themselves.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I agree with the aspect of not teaching someone how to build, there very well could be an issue there if someone jacked up their build that u showed them how to do. However, my big issue is this: if you're going to build someone a coil make damn sure their device/battery can handle said build safely. I could care less if someone is a cloud chaser, to each their own. But if you as Joe blow vapor store build someone's setup for them and its something unsafe, I believe that holds that shop responsible.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got two good stories here pertaining to the subject:

Just last night on the news it was reported that a local man's ecig exploded in his hand. It was a mech mod in 18350 mode with an Atlantis on top. Not smart. 18350s have really low amp limits... No idea where he got the set up, but regardless, freaking educate yourself! Good God!!

As for the second story, a buddy of mine whom I've guided on his vape journey showed me his batteries the other day as I was saying how I bought some shrink wrap for my Sony's since they have a very small divot or two in the outer edges of the wrapping (love my Sig 100, but those contacts suck if you're not careful when you put the batts in).
He opened up his Sig 100 and I almost lost it! One of his VTC5's had the wrapper galmost shredded all the way off on both ends!!! I told him to stop using it immediately and I'd rewrap it for him as soon as I could. I thought he would know better by now. I asked him why he thought that would be okay and all he said was "I just want to smoke, man."

Argh!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree with the aspect of not teaching someone how to build, there very well could be an issue there if someone jacked up their build that u showed them how to do. However, my big issue is this: if you're going to build someone a coil make damn sure their device/battery can handle said build safely. I could care less if someone is a cloud chaser, to each their own. But if you as Joe blow vapor store build someone's setup for them and its something unsafe, I believe that holds that shop responsible.
and sadly, that happens all the time. im often asked to straighten out equipment bought at other shops. if i sell you a mod you will know how it functions before you leave my store, including choosing the appropriate battery.
the point i was getting at was if you buy a car and go crash it into a tree is it the dealerships fault for not teaching you how to drive?

Reactions: Jah

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You can only get those from "Special" B&M's from a sadly uninformed or uncaring clerk who does not give a rats ass other than taking your money.
Not so much. You can get them from any vape shop. Even the most ethical and cautious. Say a newbie goes in today and decides on an 18350 mech with a Nautilus at 1.5 ohms. Shop sets him up with a good mod, AW batteries, and a charger. Explains to check the batteries when the vape starts to drop and all will be well. Good setup, safe vaping.

Month later he wants more, so he goes back and gets an Atlantis with an 18650 mech. They set him up with some VTC4 batteries. All is good and safe...

As long as he doesn't stack the 18350 batteries in the 650 mod. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. If he does he's pushing 16 amps of current through 6 amp batteries that he thought were safe batteries, because that's what they told him when he bought them.

That's why it's important for the consumer to educate themselves on the products they use, and not rely on a vendor. It's nice if the vendor cares and tries to do the right thing, but it's silliness to rely on them and expect them yo save the uneducated consumer from himself.

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
However, my big issue is this: if you're going to build someone a coil make damn sure their device/battery can handle said build safely. I could care less if someone is a cloud chaser, to each their own. But if you as Joe blow vapor store build someone's setup for them and its something unsafe, I believe that holds that shop responsible.
Again, good practice. But all that does is ensure that build is safe for that mod and that battery. What the vape shop does not know is what other mods he may have at home and try to use that build on.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
something related to this very discussion....
our general manager was in to drop off some inventory a little while ago and gave us a new mandate; we are ,from now on, to send all li/ion batteries out of the store in the manufacturers packaging in a bag. no letting people just put the battery in a pocket or purse.
it seems some jackass bought a 18650 from a shop(i think gm said in texas), put the battery in a pocket and it vented.now hea suing the shop for $1M.

thats why shops are shy about teaching how to build. this guy probably put a naked battery in a pocket full of change or keys and shorted it out but its the shops fault hes a dumbass and its worth a million dollars to him to prove it.

PS. found photos along with the article. am i crazy or are those coins with the melted fabric?
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/297.../635617152263879147-0311-exploding-ecig04.jpg

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The ones that seem to usually make the news, be it vaping or anything else for that matter are always the low information consumers who want cheap, fast and easy. These are also usually the ones who will always shift blame to someone else for their own stupidity. Granted, some extra effort by vape store employees on battery safety would help, but there are simply too many out there that have skirted the Darwin awards for far too long.

Unfortunately, the more people take up vaping, the higher the percentage of accidents will happen, there is just no way around that.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Definitely can't control what dummy does after he goes home and decides hey, I can build this down to. 001, BIGGER clouds. Sure I've got an 18350 mod, that'll work. Hadn't really looked at it like that. U can give some people all the tools and info they'll ever need and some merely ignore it. "Hold my beer, check this shit out"

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Now, as per the complaints some had with this post, I think they may relate to the title. The problem is there is a fracture on the vaping community. Many folks have stopped in the 10 to 30 watt range, and that is fine. If that works for you, more power to you. Others have pushed on further. But the title implying that a mech mod is a bomb waiting to explode is beyond absurd IMO.

There is no danger at all whatsoever inherent in a mech mod. It literally cannot explode. It's impossible. Worst thing it can do is bruise your foot if you drop it. That having been said, if the owner of a mech mod places a battery in it, now there is potential for danger. I point this out because an eGo has a lithium ion battery built into it, so it presents a potential hazard from the time you buy it and moving forward.

Improper use of a mech mod can be hazardous. I have seen many people on here say they use regulated mods so that they don't have to worry about those risks. They get extra protection. Well, ever hear of the Smoktech Groove? Or the Cloupor mini?

No mod is completely safe. Everything that uses a battery poses a risk. No resistance level is immune to the dangers of shorting. No protection circuit is entirely fool proof. The best we can hope for is that we all understand the risks of our devices, and take the necessary precautions to minimize those risks.
TT

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The thing that chaps my backside is my wife sees something on the news about an e-cig device "blowing up" and every time my vape crackles or pops she is like "Is it going to explode? You better go outside, I don't want to get hurt." Thank news + uneducated person!

Hoekakes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
my friends girlfriend came back from the vape shop in a town about an hour away and she had a plumeveil clone they sold her as authentic a caravella clone .. could have spelled that wrong , as an authentic, purple efest and a few junk batteries for over 200 bucks ... they set her up with a 0.08 build ... i begged her to let me rebuild it she refused

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
my friends girlfriend came back from the vape shop in cr iowa and she had a plumeveil clone they sold her as authentic a caravella clone .. could have spelled that wrong , as an authentic, purple efest and a few junk batteries for over 200 bucks ... they set her up with a 0.08 build ... i begged her to let me rebuild it she refused
I think that there are a lot of stores that should not be vape shops. These BM shops need to educate their clients. Not just sell them anything and everything. When running a business the first rule for success is repeat business. You build a strong client base with rapport and honesty. They keep coming back because they trust you. People who you see in the news more times than not are not vet vapers and are not being educated on safety and ohms law. They come in shops and say "I want to blow clouds" and these shops aren't first making sure that they are educating these people. It is so important that they do. Not only to protect themselves but also to protect their customers. People who are just making a sale and letting people get hurt over $100 sale are making the vaping industry look horrible.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not so much. You can get them from any vape shop. Even the most ethical and cautious. Say a newbie goes in today and decides on an 18350 mech with a Nautilus at 1.5 ohms. Shop sets him up with a good mod, AW batteries, and a charger. Explains to check the batteries when the vape starts to drop and all will be well. Good setup, safe vaping.

Month later he wants more, so he goes back and gets an Atlantis with an 18650 mech. They set him up with some VTC4 batteries. All is good and safe...

As long as he doesn't stack the 18350 batteries in the 650 mod. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. If he does he's pushing 16 amps of current through 6 amp batteries that he thought were safe batteries, because that's what they told him when he bought them.

That's why it's important for the consumer to educate themselves on the products they use, and not rely on a vendor. It's nice if the vendor cares and tries to do the right thing, but it's silliness to rely on them and expect them yo save the uneducated consumer from himself.

i went to my sisters house Thursday and her moms boyfriend was like "you vape here you can have this" hands me a k100 with three 18350 batteries stacked inside. apparently his local shop said that as safer then a 18650....

Hoekakes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i went to my sisters house Thursday and her moms boyfriend was like "you vape here you can have this" hands me a k100 with three 18350 batteries stacked inside. apparently his local shop said that as safer then a 18650....
lol maybe thats how roman candles are made XD ... seriously though .. thats bad

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If people would only get on the internet and learn about what they are getting ready to do before making a purchase they would protect their cash and safety by making an educated purchase. Also, the shops should also be responsible enough to not sell something that is unsafe. It is really a sad state of affairs.

VU Sponsors