Become a Patron!

mech mod, a bomb waiting to explode?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i went to my sisters house Thursday and her moms boyfriend was like "you vape here you can have this" hands me a k100 with three 18350 batteries stacked inside. apparently his local shop said that as safer then a 18650....
No shit? That's just plain dangerous. You're talking 12V+ with full charged cells.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah i tossed all the batteries in the trash. they were some weird brand and i wasnt about to risk using them even though he said he only used them two weeks. kinda wish he had blown his face off though i dislike the guy.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
e-cigs are dangerous?

14ybgax.jpg

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If people would only get on the internet and learn about what they are getting ready to do before making a purchase they would protect their cash and safety by making an educated purchase. Also, the shops should also be responsible enough to not sell something that is unsafe. It is really a sad state of affairs.
We as vapers need to advocate the education to the uneducated. When a customer comes into a shop these brick and morters need to asses where each vapers knowledge level is. Its understandable they want to make the sale. But repeat business will make them way more money long term. Building the trust of customers and education is the key to this business.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree MarkS and Anticlone.

When I started sub-ohming, it seemed to me that the warnings were well advocated by fellow vapers on
forums, vape shows, etc. Sub-Ohming was new enough to have a healthy level of fear to it's dangers.
As sub-ohming transitioned from something the minority was doing to mainstream, that healthy level of fear
subsided. This now leaves me feeling like I have dropped the ball. Having become an experienced vaper,
I feel like I haven't been doing for the new vapers what the experienced did for me when I was at that level.

I feel there is a lot that can be accomplished at the grass roots level. A trickle up process of sorts. It would be
nice to see the complacency return to a healthy level of fear. We may not be able to effect b&m ethics to a
satisfactory level, but we can effect ignorance.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Vaping is something that takes time to understand. It requires patience and unfortunatly alot of people dont have it. They just want their batteries installed and coils wrapped so they can be on their merry way.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The more injuries that take place the harder the legal hammer is going to fall to impose its will

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
eventually it will be taught in schools right along with dont run with scissors... dont build to low kids!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Not that I am some vaping genius or anything but I get so irritated when I see what some new vapers use. I almost feel like the angry high school coach when I go into 'soapbox mode'
Hybrid mod
Unknown batteries
Don't even know what a 510 is
Know clue how to wrap a coil
"I wanna blow clouds and ouch ALOT of ohms''
"'what's the difference between volts and what's''

Yes, I've heard those last two multiple times

I've been at it a little over a year, I vape to not smoke, and its become a hobby over time. It took 6 months before I bothered with mechs at all. Not that I don't know ohm law, I'm a card carrying IEEE member, Its just not my typically preferred vape. That said I do enjoy it more now and go ultra subohm at times now. Still, a new vaper needs to learn the safe way to go about this.
This morning alone I've seem two threads started by new vapors who obviously have no clue about anything with vaping. Absolutely zero knowledge of ohm's law, or battery safety.
"It's a little scary' is an understatement

-sorry but I had to vent

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not that I am some vaping genius or anything but I get so irritated when I see what some new vapers use. I almost feel like the angry high school coach when I go into 'soapbox mode'
Hybrid mod
Unknown batteries
Don't even know what a 510 is
Know clue how to wrap a coil
"I wanna blow clouds and ouch ALOT of ohms''
"'what's the difference between volts and what's''

Yes, I've heard those last two multiple times

I've been at it a little over a year, I vape to not smoke, and its become a hobby over time. It took 6 months before I bothered with mechs at all. Not that I don't know ohm law, I'm a card carrying IEEE member, Its just not my typically preferred vape. That said I do enjoy it more now and go ultra subohm at times now. Still, a new vaper needs to learn the safe way to go about this.
This morning alone I've seem two threads started by new vapors who obviously have no clue about anything with vaping. Absolutely zero knowledge of ohm's law, or battery safety.
"It's a little scary' is an understatement

-sorry but I had to vent
if you are referring to the guy who wants to vape with a 4 9 and what looks like duracell knock off batteries i think he may be a lost cause already

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
:(
I think that may be one of them. I tried to give the best advice I could without going all 'Hades will reign fire' on him/her.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
some people wont learn till they are missing a finger...

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This topic gets me on a soap box too. Newbies want to blow clouds and brick and mortars are not educating them. Selling them a mech. Just sell the regulated guys!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So long as they don't make a mess, somebody else will have to clean up.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup. That's the truth. Some shops have no business being a shop.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
some people wont learn till they are missing a finger...

I became one of those people one day and found out first hand that statement is 100% correct. :D
Well, 1/4 inch off the index finger on my left (fretboard) hand anyway, but enough for me to learn.

Last edited:

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I became one of those people one day and found out first hand that statement is 100% correct. :D
Well, 1/4 off the index finger on my left (fretboard) hand anyway, but enough for me to learn.
you learned quick then i bet. you could always learn lefty. i myself play right handed upside down

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The worst I did was discharged a 1.6farad cap, on my chair in the middle of an electrical engineering lab, only to watch the reaction on my professors face.
Not smart, but at least I knew what I was doing
As to he shops, you would think, it would be in their long term interest to educate a customer so that they come back and buy more 'stuff'', fingers intact.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
worse i did was have a coil short while puffing it and have it ignite my cotton ... very bad sore throat for a few days lol. had it happen just the other day

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't ever had a bad experience with any of the devices like that. However I started with an ego battery and clearo

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've never had anything go foul with a mod, period. But, even when I'm n my mechs I do my builds on an ohm meter, then check them on a DNA mod, then put them on a much. I also pull my 510 out quite a bit before using them hybrid.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The terrible part is they are also captivated with sub ohm tanks as soon as they realize dripping 24/7 can get old.
I'm all for starting with a clearo, but when they buy a smpl or 4nine style and an RDA then want to get an on the go clearo, they see a sub ohm tank for the attractive price, jump on it without realizing the mod they bought last weak is bad match for it. Or if they do they're already financially married to the clone mech, and don't want to drop another 50$ on a mod.

Its Al Gore's fault ! He invented the interwebs!!, the interwebs, are the reason they need immediate gratification; and refuse to take the time to research anything.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
you learned quick then i bet. you could always learn lefty. i myself play right handed upside down
I found a typo in my post and edited it. I meant to say 1/4 inch.

This happened 17 years ago three years in to my hardwood flooring installation carrier. I hadn't played a guitar in four years at the moment
I carelessly touched a spinning blade on the table saw. :confused: I have since gotten much more proficient with my trade tools btw. ;)

I had a great deal of sensitivity in that fingertip for a while. In the beginning even a light touch was painful.
The fingernail the doctor cut off while doing his best to recreate a usable fingertip, ended up growing back
with a quirk. It grows along the curve of the end of the finger. So I learned to keep that finger nail clipped
a little longer to absorb the pain of playing with my newly created third little finger. :D It didn't take all that long
to adapt to my hands new geometry and now it's mostly a non issue and no pain.

Last edited:

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you know the contractor is good if one of his workers is missing a finger.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Please please please post a pic of that finger!

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
that is just asking to get flicked off lol

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dang, lip scum on my drip tip. heheh I should have wiped it off before I let it get in the photo :D

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I know another thread where that pic may be able to help Someone learn the importance of battery safety.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I've never had a problem vaping my mechs..that said I make sure the 510 pin protrudes far enough for all my mechs use the hybrid top cap..
I also use the right batt for my builds using an accurate ohm meter and always obeying ohms law...that said I do have a couple IPV3's that have the added shorted atomiser protection but been running the subtanks on them and keeping my RDA's on my mechs...long as I obey ohms law I've never had a problem..

sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

art247

Member For 4 Years
i am online double checking everything i am getting before i vape
this is my first post
18650 keystone1048 gold plated nickel contacts hammond 1590g kjs tactical(dna30) clicky button 40amp 3034 mosfet 375watt
230amp/90° celsius 30amp
rare earth magnets varitube springloaded gold plated 22mm low profile 510 with juice well
4.2 volt battery sled for two 18650s safe to fire at .07 ohms the photos showed two efest 35A 2500mah 18650s imr
have kayfun 3.1 lite but getting a deadmodz glass cap charging on nitecore d4 using .09 coil and a multimeter

the mod is coming with instruction from the builder
also ...its being shipped

i would appreciate it if someone could crunch the numbers on this am i getting the correct information??

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm lost on that info..maybe you can post a pic of the mod...

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Umm, that's allot to fire a kayfun, I'm sure I'm missing something

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The best translation I can make is a dual 18650 Hammond box with a dna30 and a fancy kayfun tank?
Or its two mods one with a mosfet and one with a DNA ?

Either way that kayfun will be begging for mercy

Last edited:

Hoekakes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i think he means it has dna 30 clicky buttons

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oooohhhhhhhhh........ so its a Hammond box dual 18650 with a mosfet ?
To run a kayfun3.1?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oooohhhhhhhhh........ so its a Hammond box dual 18650 with a mosfet ?
To run a kayfun3.1?
A little overkill I would say..but why do you suppose he posted it in this thread?
Oh well...he did say it was his first post..lol

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
not using kayfun getting a dead modz glass cap
Is that a glass cap for a kayfun3.1?
Sorry never heard of it. The mod stuff looks cool to me.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
He never said if the batteries are going to be series or parallel...

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
He never said if the batteries are going to be series or parallel...
True, I assumed parallel because of the sled and mosfet.

and I'm stuck in the kfl, never fired mine above 12w when I had one

VU Sponsors