https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
oh i chose this to post so i dont spontaneously combust!!
If you do, can I have your watch?
459.gif

assuming you're joking; but, after what I've eek the last few days....vape safely, get a deacon, a pair of good batteries and marry them.

Last edited:

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All I can say is I wouldn't put a 0.07 ohm coil build in it, even though you theoretically could. If I were going to be crazy enough to vape 252 W I wouldn't concern myself too much with other things after searing my mouth (other than melting down the insulator and causing a dead short).

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
All I can say is I wouldn't put a 0.07 ohm coil build in it, even though you theoretically could. If I were going to be crazy enough to vape 252 W I wouldn't concern myself too much with other things after searing my mouth (other than melting down the insulator and causing a dead short).
I melted an insulator at dual coil 0.8 build on my 3.1, but, I was growing out of kayfuns by then. My kf4 has 0.5 build in it but it has the peak insulator-still not a huge fan though.

art247

Member For 4 Years
so whats a safe build in your opinion?? after all thats why i am here ..oh the watch is yours lol

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Personnaly, I wouldn't go lower than 0.2 ohms (88 W with fresh cells).

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I built a 0.25 and it was so hot I could only pull one to two second draws.

art247

Member For 4 Years
I melted an insulator at dual coil 0.8 build on my 3.1, but, I was growing out of kayfuns by then. My kf4 has 0.5 build in it but it has the peak insulator-still not a huge fan though.
uploadfromtaptalk1426476620373.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426476626336.jpg
will this be a good one to use ??

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
so whats a safe build in your opinion?? after all thats why i am here ..oh the watch is yours lol
I generally wont go below a 0.2 either, I don't lkke to tempt fate with batteries.
Looks like a nice build deck. is it peak insulators or delrin? Adjustable 510? Or are you putting in spring loaded?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I built a 0.25 and it was so hot I could only pull one to two second draws.
I do a dual parallel with 26g, one of my favorite builds. Puts me between a 0.2 and a 0.26 depending on the legs

Attachments

• 20150315_202013_resized.jpg
    20150315_202013_resized.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 18

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
spring loaded i think
thanks to all for the info i do appreciate it
No worries dude
Like mark was saying though, you're gonna wanna watch the heat.
Especially with that glass cap.
I would start around a 1 ohm and gradually work yourself down. I don't use glass so I have no clue on its limits or where its safe at. I just know glass and high heat don't always get along. It'll probably burn a little before it gets to that point; but, that's just speculation on my part.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do a dual parallel with 26g, one of my favorite builds. Puts me between a 0.2 and a 0.26 depending on the legs

This is my current RDA build at 0.25 ohm (four 34 gauge twisted then that helix twisted with a single 26 gauge):
f7325c6ccd310dfd7174e511410f1ea9.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This is my current RDA build at 0.25:
Awesome dude!!! I have similar build in my derringer, I dig how you have it twisted together. Yours looks much better.

Attachments

• 20150315_203826_resized.jpg
    20150315_203826_resized.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 22

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Awesome dude!!! I have similar build in my derringer, I dig how you have it twisted together. Yours looks much better.
Thanks. Yours is nice looking too! I edited my description - it's a little different. I always take my time doing builds... in fact, it kind of frustrates the wife that I take so long and do things very slowly, thoroughly, and methodically. I don't change coils very frequently so between safety and duration of use I feel taking my sweet time on builds are well worth it.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Gonna have to try that, I'm also trying to get the spare time to do a Clapton. I don't have a whole lot of tools at home, so I try to use the shop where I work to t do my twisted wires at 20-25ft at a time.

manthe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Gonna have to try that, I'm also trying to get the spare time to do a Clapton. I don't have a whole lot of tools at home, so I try to use the shop where I work to t do my twisted wires at 20-25ft at a time.

I built my 1st set of claptons a couple of weeks ago - tedious business! Dual macros in my Vertex v2 - coming in at ~.38 ohms (IIRC I wrapped 32 over 28). Flavor and vapor are great - as is to be expected, but the ramp time on these coils is pretty high. They are extremely power-hungry! The only mod I have that can fire them at anything usable is my IPV3 (loaded with 2 VTC5s) @ ~70w. At 50 they vape ok, but ramp time is pretty bad. I've fired them all the way up to 100w while figuring out where they performed best. That was too high for my tast s, but they did handle the power - the Clapton coil is a very hearty coil :)

Oh, and after a couple of re-wickings and re-tightenings, the wind on the coil legs are starting to spread a little. Still vapes fine and even fires evenly, but just something to watch out for...

c2008e6023bcd37c787c5d3c33142f23.jpg

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
4378c31eb8e6f559f6ac22b73ec542fe.jpg

While we are on the subject of builds this is one of my all-time favorites I use on my 26650 BFM mech...dual parallel 24g at .12 ohms in my Dark Horse...blows clouds that have to be seen to be believed ...lol

sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

juiceintheclouds

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So i had a similar situation happen to me one night at a buddy's house warming. I was using a fuhattan with a tugboat built at .2 with a vamped 40. The fuhattan is a "comp mod" and has no locking ring so i always made sure to take the battery out after use, except this time. I smelled it first then realized what was going on and could not get it out of my pocket and outside of the house fast enough. When i went to get it out of my pocket i felt how hot it was but knew i needed to be as far away as possible. Ended up getting a slight burn on my hand and a hurt pride. Luckily thats all it was. Beware and know your devices and whats safe.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Now, as per the complaints some had with this post, I think they may relate to the title. The problem is there is a fracture on the vaping community. Many folks have stopped in the 10 to 30 watt range, and that is fine. If that works for you, more power to you. Others have pushed on further. But the title implying that a mech mod is a bomb waiting to explode is beyond absurd IMO.

There is no danger at all whatsoever inherent in a mech mod. It literally cannot explode. It's impossible. Worst thing it can do is bruise your foot if you drop it. That having been said, if the owner of a mech mod places a battery in it, now there is potential for danger. I point this out because an eGo has a lithium ion battery built into it, so it presents a potential hazard from the time you buy it and moving forward.

Improper use of a mech mod can be hazardous. I have seen many people on here say they use regulated mods so that they don't have to worry about those risks. They get extra protection. Well, ever hear of the Smoktech Groove? Or the Cloupor mini?

No mod is completely safe. Everything that uses a battery poses a risk. No resistance level is immune to the dangers of shorting. No protection circuit is entirely fool proof. The best we can hope for is that we all understand the risks of our devices, and take the necessary precautions to minimize those risks.
TT

100% safe
nkyrd0-photo1.jpg

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FUCK! Anyone wanna buy a Tesla? Never been used!
you arent really in danger from the tesla. it is spread across two batteries so the load each battery gets is less. just buy good batteries. i have a tesla and have no trouble. most of the ones who overload or short the batteries now are using a hybrid connection or a really low ohm build.

MEENMAN83

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When I started I got a puresmoker V1 prodigy mech mod and it ran on two stacked CR123 so mechs have actually gotten safer.....I even used a VA Cyclone on it then graduated to a Reo mod with bottom feeding cyclone....people ultimately need to be responsible for themselves.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Indeed. Do be safe.

Check your fucking ohms, learn your fucking battery safety, leave some fucking headroom, and ALWAYS calc your fucking amp draw at 4.2 volts.

632f933dcdd950cd59f313d6a25c737a.jpeg

Also, this was done with a lot of makeup and other practical effects. A real third degree burn looks much worse. I have a scar from two years ago on the back of my hand from one. Not vaping related. The skin is still much thinner and weaker than the surrounding tissue. It's also still numb.

VU Sponsors