Become a Patron!

Mech mod coil build question

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i just got my first mech mod for Christmas and I'm not getting the vapor production I'd like to.

My normal set up is a rx200 with a griffin build at .2 ohms (22g A1, 8 wrap, 3.5mm) running at 80 watts.

Mech mod is a rig v2 hybrid with a Samsung 25R. I wanted to be on the safe side with my first build so I did a .4 ohm build (24g A1, 8 wrap, 3mm). I know that's only running at 44 watts. Horrible ramp time.

So my question is, can I do anything to get more vapor production besides lowering my ohms?

Yamensaleh

Member For 3 Years
Try .2 ohm
It is safe and great
My current ohm is .17 and it is safe for such battery ( I am using sony vtc 5)
As i know the 25r is 30amp battery, if yes then yes you are safe even with .17 ohm
The way that the mech mod is hitting is unique, enjoy bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks man, I will try that but I'm still curious, is there anything u can do besides lowering ohms?

Yamensaleh

Member For 3 Years
As I know there is nothing to do, 4.2 volts is weak to fire such ohm

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do parallel runs of 28g or 26g so you can get a lower resistance.

Yamensaleh

Member For 3 Years
Yes, if you can do parallel go for it, it is good but a little bit worm to hot vape

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never built parallel coils but just did research on them and they have me excited.

Can I build them with 24g wire? That's the thinnest wire I have.

Yamensaleh

Member For 3 Years
Yes you can, calculate your ohm normally for this one, parallel will not change the resistance of the wire

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Look on steam-engine.org and find out what you need. Wrap one coil with a single strand and lay your next strand between the leg and first wrap. Just keep wrapping it in that groove.
Since it's fatter wire you'll need several wraps to get up to 0.2 but you'll definitely have a lower mass doing parallel runs so it's better than where you're at now.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Parallel 24g will be VERY low resistance. You will need quite a few wraps to get much resistance. I would suggest maybe 24g paralleled with 28g. The 28g will ramp up faster and make the 24g heat up faster in the process.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all the help guys. I just saw a video where the guy used 24g 4 wrap and it was .25 ohms. Prly gonna try that

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I did it. 24g, 4 wrap parallel, 3mm. Came in at .21 ohms and omg, this changed my life lol. Thanks all! :)
Looks legit dude:) I love my rig v2 clone, might have to try that build

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just did an 8 wrap 3mm id 24g ss316l. Ohms out at .1Ω. It's crazy in my titan mech tube mod.
309c3d5d6c2b326a8f9e7f2a2fd6ce11.jpg

656ce6d056bcba341a75f30bad37637c.jpg

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also, a noob question. I've only built with kanthal. What does stainless do? I know it's used for temp control on regulated mods but not sure how it works with a mech.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
MUCH quicker ramp up.
I like using 2x28/38 SS316L fused Claptons for my single battery mechs.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks legit dude:) I love my rig v2 clone, might have to try that build

You should man. I couldn't get a build that would ramp quick enough for my liking. This heats up as soon as u fire it

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should man. I couldn't get a build that would ramp quick enough for my liking. This heats up as soon as u fire it

Did you only do a single coil or dual?

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, a noob question. I've only built with kanthal. What does stainless do? I know it's used for temp control on regulated mods but not sure how it works with a mech.

You can use ss on a mech, it's a beautiful thing, works for straight power mode or tc. Ramp up time is quick too.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Single coil. I believe if you used two, it would cut your ohms in half?

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Single coil. I believe if you used two, it would cut your ohms in half?

Yes, dual coil cuts ohms by half.

I'm using an hg2. And I have some 25r's too.

Ss it's a naturally lower resistance wire, so you have to take care when building. It has a nice clean flavor though. I wish I had some kanthal to play with, but unfortunately, atm all I have right now are ss 24 and 29g ss and some 26/32g kanthal clapton wire.

When I order my wire after tax return time I'll be trying my hand at a fused clapton. I can't wait.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice man. I've never tried building anything but standard coils with kanthal.

This is my first mech so I'm a little cautious going too low with a 25r

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Part of it depends on wattage too. Fortunately, a single battery mech won't put it an incredible amount of wattage :)

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I learned that quick lol. I thought it'd flow my regular set up out of the water but u can't get much vapor unless u build crazy coils. So that's something I'll have to learn. The parallel coil was definitely better though

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I learned that quick lol. I thought it'd flow my regular set up out of the water but u can't get much vapor unless u build crazy coils. So that's something I'll have to learn. The parallel coil was definitely better though

You can also try a higher gauge wire to parallel with like a 24/28g parallel. That will raise your ohms a bit and also give you an even faster ramp up time too.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll have to try that. I need some wire though. I only have 22 and 24

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a regulated mod, you might try a 2x24g twisted coil too. That's a pretty crazy cloud machine too.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My build now is .21 ohms and I don't think this better can handle anything much lower

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Try .2 ohm
It is safe and great
As i know the 25r is 30amp battery, if yes then yes you are safe even with .17 ohm

Wrong!!! Both the Sony VTC5 and the Samsung 25R are rated at 20 Amps as tested by Mooch. You should be OK with the 0.21 build using the 25R, but it is drawing 20 Amps. OP, I am concerned with this being a hybrid for your first mech. This is an advanced user device. Be very sure the 510 positive pin on the atty is sticking out otherwise this is an accident waiting to happen.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is faster, but you can twist with a pen and a pair of pliers as well.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not using an atty with a 510 pin. Believe me, I've done my research

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wrong!!! Both the Sony VTC5 and the Samsung 25R are rated at 20 Amps as tested by Mooch. You should be OK with the 0.21 build using the 25R, but it is drawing 20 Amps. OP, I am concerned with this being a hybrid for your first mech. This is an advanced user device. Be very sure the 510 positive pin on the atty is sticking out otherwise this is an accident waiting to happen.
Oh thank you. I missed that this was a hybrid mech mod. Yes. Make sure that the pin is sticking out alot on your atty. Safety is key.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not using an atty with a 510 pin. Believe me, I've done my research

Every atty has a 510 pin. That's the screw at the bottom of the atty.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Right but it's not a threaded or adjustable 510

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll take a picture when I get home. It's fail proof

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
a7f7b5001b27c7637b44cc457593e42f.jpg
found this online. Same thing just different color

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh a wait, it's a rig pig. It's designed for its own atty. No, you'll be fine. I had a brain fart LOL

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anytime brother. Just making sure we are all safe here

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol yeah the roughneck is specifically made for it. Good setup too, I l8ke it enough to consider forking out the cash for a authentic once tax money is in..if I wasn't thinking of getting a dual 18650 squonker .
If you wanna be able to build low safely I recommend the LG HB6's their only 1500mah but are rated 30amp and if I remember correctly mooch's tests showed them as true 30 amps maybe even 32 (I gotta look so don't quote me on that part lol)
7b6fb92e11af987ebd37be287f7925aa.jpg

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was lucky enough to get an authentic for Christmas. I like it so far but it does spit sometimes. Might try moving my coil up but then it'll be over the air hole

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Try .2 ohm
It is safe and great

.21 is the absolute lowest for that battery so I'd say .25 to be safe
4.2 volts and it's a 20 amp battery (not a 30 amp) at .25 it'll be about 70 watts and 17 amps. more then safe and will increase ramp up
at .17 there are only 2 safe batteries sony VCT5a (not the 5 you are over stressing your batteries and damaging them) and the LG HB6

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
at .17 there are only 2 safe batteries sony VCT5a (not the 5 you are over stressing your batteries and damaging them) and the LG HB6
I would also trust the Samsung 25Rs with that. Yes, it's only rated 20 amps CDR, but they also have an extremely resilient pulse rating.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I would also trust the Samsung 25Rs with that. Yes, it's only rated 20 amps CDR, but they also have an extremely resilient pulse rating.
You are also very experienced. I'd like to err on the side of safety when people come asking for advice. You already know what you are doing, not everyone does.

VU Sponsors