Become a Patron!

Mech mod for sub ohm tanks?

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry if I've come off like a dick sometimes. But when I take the time to warn people of various issues, that I see happening with newbs IRL. I get annoyed by the lack of respect.

Everyone just needs to remember that just because it's 2nd nature to us at this point it isn't for them. Hell, half the people (that started vaping within the last year) haven't even owned a mech.

They've been so spoiled by the safety of new reg devices that if their's breaks down they haven't a clue about batteries, battery wraps, shorts, auto firing, hot buttons, hybrid caps and everything else that goes with mechs. So when they use one in a pinch and they end up with war wounds. We are the ones who end up fighting in local city, county and state govts to keep Vaping legal.

So I'll always try to remove a potentially harmful variable from the equation if I can. Mech paired with tanks is one of them. Just because something "can" work with something, doesn't mean it should.

I wish everyone HAD to own a mech as their first device before they could get a vv/vw.

So like I said... I'm sorry for the overreaction. Just tired of dealing with the fallout

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree that tanks work better when you can adjust the power you're supplying them with, but as long as the circuit is solid and free of shorts there's nothing wrong with using a tank on a mech. If the fixed voltage happens to be too much for the atty, the worst that will happen is dry/burnt hits. There won't be any explosions of burning liquid or glass. A hybrid top cap and an unsuitable atty 510 is a completely different matter. That's using the wrong mech. Using the right mech won't result in catastrophic failure. Maybe a shitty vape. I don't believe in feeding people bullshit in order to protect them from themselves. People generally aren't stupid. They may be uninformed, under informed or misinformed, but that is best addressed by sharing with them facts, opinions and experiences. Not scare tactic falsehoods. Again, I do believe tanks pair best with adjustable power mods. For the quality and tune ability of the vape. Not because tanks with mechs are inherently unsafe.

vapedick

Member For 4 Years
Sorry if I've come off like a dick sometimes. But when I take the time to warn people of various issues, that I see happening with newbs IRL. I get annoyed by the lack of respect.

Everyone just needs to remember that just because it's 2nd nature to us at this point it isn't for them. Hell, half the people (that started vaping within the last year) haven't even owned a mech.

They've been so spoiled by the safety of new reg devices that if their's breaks down they haven't a clue about batteries, battery wraps, shorts, auto firing, hot buttons, hybrid caps and everything else that goes with mechs. So when they use one in a pinch and they end up with war wounds. We are the ones who end up fighting in local city, county and state govts to keep Vaping legal.

So I'll always try to remove a potentially harmful variable from the equation if I can. Mech paired with tanks is one of them. Just because something "can" work with something, doesn't mean it should.

I wish everyone HAD to own a mech as their first device before they could get a vv/vw.

So like I said... I'm sorry for the overreaction. Just tired of dealing with the fallout

Fucking idiot. Go boil your vegetable oil in your tank that boils liquid. Loser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I agree that tanks work better when you can adjust the power you're supplying them with, but as long as the circuit is solid and free of shorts there's nothing wrong with using a tank on a mech. If the fixed voltage happens to be too much for the atty, the worst that will happen is dry/burnt hits. There won't be any explosions of burning liquid or glass. A hybrid top cap and an unsuitable atty 510 is a completely different matter. That's using the wrong mech. Using the right mech won't result in catastrophic failure. Maybe a shitty vape. I don't believe in feeding people bullshit in order to protect them from themselves. People generally aren't stupid. They may be uninformed, under informed or misinformed, but that is best addressed by sharing with them facts, opinions and experiences. Not scare tactic falsehoods. Again, I do believe tanks pair best with adjustable power mods. For the quality and tune ability of the vape. Not because tanks with mechs are inherently unsafe.

As you'll recall, if you read my initial response from months ago. All I said was they will give dry hits if used with very thick juice.

It wasn't until people started saying that there are no risks in using tanks besides the use of hybrids.

"If the fixed voltage happens to be too much for the atty, the worst that will happen is dry/burnt hits. There won't be any explosions of burning liquid or glass"

Once again, all I did was explain situations that have happened when people have used a tank with a mech. Granted, most of those things come down to user error, like my customer with the stingray x.

1. It didn't have a hybrid on it
2. It wasn't his lack of knowledge
3. It wouldn't have happened, had it not been on a mech

His lock ring disengage on him, causing it to continuously fire. Which caused it to spray extremely hot juice. So yes it does happen...

Unfortunately most people in the Vape community don't have nice rigs. They use bad clones (there are some very good clones out there, so I'm not saying clones in general) to use with their first sub ohm tanks.

This is normally the case when they find out that their previous device(s) can't fire in the sub ohm range and don't have the money, at the time, to buy a vv/vw mod that will. So after they pick up their new tank. They buy, or are given, a cheap mech to use in the meanwhile.

I never said anything with the intention of it being a scare tactic. Instead I always just try to provided things for people to keep an eye on. It's always better to provide the info to people on what could happen, rather than provide them with an overall sense of complete security, especially when using 2 things that were never designed to be used together.

We are past the days of trial and error, past the days of being without a viable safe option. But we aren't passed the days of people doing stupid things because they don't know any better.

You seem like a sensible person that is just trying to give people a solid answer to the question at hand. I am the same. Even though I never once said that tanks and mech can't be used together, everyone responded like I did. All I've said is that "I" would never suggest it.

Fucking idiot. Go boil your vegetable oil in your tank that boils liquid. Loser.

Lol... Your life must truly be one of insecurities. Talking shit behind a keyboard is beyond weak.

Realize that all you have added to this convo is a bit of trolling. Being some db behind a kb won't goad any bit of a reaction from me.

"go boil your vegetable oil in your tank that boils liquid"? Another remark of pure genius

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As you'll recall, if you read my initial response from months ago. All I said was they will give dry hits if used with very thick juice.

It wasn't until people started saying that there are no risks in using tanks besides the use of hybrids.

"If the fixed voltage happens to be too much for the atty, the worst that will happen is dry/burnt hits. There won't be any explosions of burning liquid or glass"

Once again, all I did was explain situations that have happened when people have used a tank with a mech. Granted, most of those things come down to user error, like my customer with the stingray x.

1. It didn't have a hybrid on it
2. It wasn't his lack of knowledge
3. It wouldn't have happened, had it not been on a mech

His lock ring disengage on him, causing it to continuously fire. Which caused it to spray extremely hot juice. So yes it does happen...

Unfortunately most people in the Vape community don't have nice rigs. They use bad clones (there are some very good clones out there, so I'm not saying clones in general) to use with their first sub ohm tanks.

This is normally the case when they find out that their previous device(s) can't fire in the sub ohm range and don't have the money, at the time, to buy a vv/vw mod that will. So after they pick up their new tank. They buy, or are given, a cheap mech to use in the meanwhile.

I never said anything with the intention of it being a scare tactic. Instead I always just try to provided things for people to keep an eye on. It's always better to provide the info to people on what could happen, rather than provide them with an overall sense of complete security, especially when using 2 things that were never designed to be used together.

We are past the days of trial and error, past the days of being without a viable safe option. But we aren't passed the days of people doing stupid things because they don't know any better.

You seem like a sensible person that is just trying to give people a solid answer to the question at hand. I am the same. Even though I never once said that tanks and mech can't be used together, everyone responded like I did. All I've said is that "I" would never suggest it.

See, now, that all makes sense. From a performance perspective I absolutely agree with steering people towards a capable vw mod. From a -knucklehead's old mod don't work with his new tank so he wants a cheap mech to run it, but don't wanna learn about and respect the mech like he should- perspective I absolutely agree with steering them towards a capable vw mod also.

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
See, now, that all makes sense. From a performance perspective I absolutely agree with steering people towards a capable vw mod. From a -knucklehead's old mod don't work with his new tank so he wants a cheap mech to run it, but don't wanna learn about and respect the mech like he should- perspective I absolutely agree with steering them towards a capable vw mod also.
Yeah... It's all of those people who tend to ruin it for us. We all spent the time to learn (or didn't have a choice but to). I'm beyond sick when it happens then ends up in the news.

Then I have to talk with our team of former State senators etc about it and how we move forward on not letting Sin taxes get passed through legislature. So many people are working extremely hard on making vaping possible/affordable. It only takes one idiot to ruin it for all of us

Hey guys was just wondering what tanks if any I could use with the smok vanilla copper mod? It's authentic don't know if that matters I'm new to the rda and mods just not feeling nor do I have the time at the present moment with work and me and my fiancee expecting a baby anytime now, to build the coils and constantly put juice in rather just have a tank like a Kanger sub ohm mini or any tank u guys think would work best with this mod. Thanks guys!

Okay, so I got the new Aspire Cleito with the gold plated 510 and have never quite tried a sub ohm tank on a mech mod but I have .2 coil in my tank and I have 30 amp battery but I do not have a hybrid mech mod. Should I not fire it? I was a little confused reading through the forum so I apologize if the question had been answered already.

Last edited:

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just today heard of a guy in cologne germany, who blew up his face, he lost 8 teeth and has serious injuries, in the newspaper they say his face was cut from glass pieces. Now you can read E-Cigarette explodes in someones face! Blabla.
They also write that this happened IN a vape shop! They also write that he went there to buy a new premade coilhead and he went there with the "middle section" (whatever that means) of his cigarette and asked for spare parts (?). He then started vaping "it" in the shop and it exploded in his face.
I dont know why but I had to think about a hybrid-mech and a subohm tank instantly... I cant see how a regulated mod or a tank? can explode and cause such serious damage.

Edit: It WAS a hybrid mech-mod, a 26650 hybrid clone (this one: http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...0394782720.html?spm=a2700.7724838.38.2.6NBq52), he bought a battery in the shop.
If you put a shitty battery in that thing and screw on youre awesome kickass cloudz sub-tank... be careful please!

Last edited:

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Okay, so I got the new Aspire Cleito with the gold plated 510 and have never quite tried a sub ohm tank on a mech mod but I have .2 coil in my tank and I have 30 amp battery but I do not have a hybrid mech mod. Should I not fire it? I was a little confused reading through the forum so I apologize if the question had been answered already.

Do yourself a favor and use a regulated mod, not a mech mod, and especially not a hybrid mech mod. I could be wrong but it looks like the Cleito does not have a protruding 510 pin and will short on a hybrid.

(Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Make sure the battery REALLY is a 30A and make sure the positive pin of your 510 is sticking out far enough, if its a regular mech with a spring loaded 510 you can use it.
At 0,2 ohm you are drawing 21 amps from the battery and vape at 88 Watts, Im not sure if thats nice with a cleito... better get an RDA or build your own coils.

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys was just wondering what tanks if any I could use with the smok vanilla copper mod? It's authentic don't know if that matters I'm new to the rda and mods just not feeling nor do I have the time at the present moment with work and me and my fiancee expecting a baby anytime now, to build the coils and constantly put juice in rather just have a tank like a Kanger sub ohm mini or any tank u guys think would work best with this mod. Thanks guys!
The Vanilla is not a hybrid mod so you should be able to use any sub-tank on it, but I would recommend to stay above 0,3 ohms

Hey guys. New here.. but I have a great question.

These new tanks tfv8's are rocking the vaping industry by storm. In california I dont see people dripping anymore.

Im a die hard Mech fan, I just picked up a tfv8 big baby.
I have the .15 coil in it right now on a ipv4s reg mod. But I wanna run on my custom parallel 18650 box.

Can this be done or do I need to install the .2 coil ? Also all the batteries I owner are 35amp or 40amp...

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey guys. New here.. but I have a great question.

These new tanks tfv8's are rocking the vaping industry by storm. In california I dont see people dripping anymore.

Im a die hard Mech fan, I just picked up a tfv8 big baby.
I have the .15 coil in it right now on a ipv4s reg mod. But I wanna run on my custom parallel 18650 box.

Can this be done or do I need to install the .2 coil ? Also all the batteries I owner are 35amp or 40amp...
Your parallel box should be ok, but you need to get real batteries. Those sound like efests which are rewrapped rejects from LG or Samsung. There is no such thing as a 35 or 40 amp 18650 battery. The highest CDR (continuous discharge rate) batteries are 30 amp LG HB2, 4, or 6. I only use genuine Sony, Samsung, or LG batteries. Anything else is a rewrap of a reject. Do you trust your face to a reject?

Watch this interview with Mooch who tests batteries for a living.

ETA: sorry I didn't see your other post where you run legit batteries. However most of us here do not use pulse ratings as they could be deceiving and let inexperienced vapers think efests and the like are safe. Also, there is not a published definition for what is considered a pulse. That's why we go with CDR for battery ratings. Anyway carry on, your parallel mod should work with the tank and the 0.1 coil.

Last edited:

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
:xD::xD::xD:
You are ready to use a mech when you don't have to ask what a good one is...And until that time DO NOT buy one

yvaiwhy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:xD::xD::xD:
You are ready to use a mech when you don't have to ask what a good one is...And until that time DO NOT buy one

But then again, everybody has to start somewhere eh? As long as they take proper care and build safe

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
But then again, everybody has to start somewhere eh? As long as they take proper care and build safe

But I think the proper care is to not use one until you understand them fully...we are seeing way too many threads with people that are lucky as hell they came here asking questions because they are vaping on a pipebomb that should have gone off already, or even worse ask for the help then ignore it because they feel put down by everyone telling them not to do something

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
as a mech, rda, rta, vw box user I don't see the benefits of using anything other than a rda on a mech. batteries never last long enough to use a tank for me.

VU Sponsors