Become a Patron!

MECH MOD INITIAL INVESTMENT

Hi there,

I am looking to get into rebuildables for the fact that i can achieve more clouds and more flavour. Before you say anything, I am VERY familiar with ohms law and battery safety and if I were to start building coils I would know what I was doing. My problem is the initial investment for EVERYTHING seems to total over $200. This includes: wick,batteries,rda,mod,tweezers,wire cutters,kanthal,battery charger, multimeter (which can test resistance too), precision screwdriver kit, and of course some quality e juice. I was all up for the get go of rebuilding but this seems ridiculously expensive. The mod I was going to get would be the Copper Ragnarok Mod. However I may go with the Wotofo Phantom, just because of the price difference (maybe someone could tell me if there is a major difference between the two) So.....is there some money saving method I am missing?? Or did everyone go through this process. If so I may just think about a standard mod. Anyway thanks in advance, ik long post but I need answers.

Ethan

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most multimeters only measure ohms to 1/10th. Vaping ohm checkers measure to 1/100th. A couple to 1/1000th. You'll need a vaping ohm checker. For mods and atomizers there are a huge number of quality clones available that can save you a bunch of money. I got a really nice Derringer rda and SMPL mech mod from fasttech.com for about $26 total.

Boogie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
like anything else it will depend on what you want to buy.
Unless you plan to build low enough to where you are right on the threshold of what a battery can endure, most simple multi-meters will be sufficient for your needs.
As mentioned, there are TONS of quality clones (and originals) mechs and RDAs that can be had for very reasonable prices.

A good charger and batteries are must, there is no two ways around that, but they still arent that expensive.

You can re-purpose a simple manicure set for the majority of the tools you need.

A lifetime supply of cellucotton / rayon wick is under 20 dollars.

Kanthall and Nicrhome are cheap as funk on Ebay.

You could easily get everything you need at well under 100 bones, not counting juice. If you want to save money with your juice then you gotta learn to DIY.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mech mods are metal tubes with threading and a 510 connection machined into them with a magnet or spring loaded button. The price difference reflects where they're made. The expensive ones are higher quality, but there are some good clones and even china-born authentic mods to be had. Just read the reviews on those before you buy.

Personally, I have a SMPL clone that cost me like 30 bucks and have not been disappointed with it. Good, authentic atties can be had at around that range as well. There's the Mutation X v4, Clt v3, the freakshow, the troll, the doge... ...and so on.

Vaping ohmmeters should run you about 20 dollars at the most. Don't use a general multimeter. They're garbage for vaping. A cheap ohmmeter with a 510 built-in will serve you well.

Nitecore and Xtar chargers also start at around the 20-dollar range.

Sony VTC4's can be had from illumination supply for around $10 a pair.

100ft spools of kanthal can be bought for $5-$7 per roll from lightning vapes.

A year's supply of japanese cotton may run you $6-$10 on amazon. That's also a good place to buy your tools.

Mt baker sells some decent juice for around $7 per 30ml. Not quite top-shelf like the $22 stuff, but it's cheap enough to be a bit wasteful with, at least.

If you shop around, then you can probably keep the grand total under $150 (even less if you wanna buy your mech and atty from fasstech.) And just remember, that's the initial investment. You won't have to buy anything but juice for some time afterwards.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors