Become a Patron!

Mech Mod Suggestions

Looking for input for a beginner, been vaping since Mar 14. I am currently on a Vamp V5 w/ Nautilus tank. I want to go to a mech mod and rba. Looking for 18650 with a locking ring. Also looking for something to boost flavor due to sinus issues. I would like to keep both mod and rba under $300. Any suggestions? Thanks

getemmurph

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I had a very in depth reply ready for you and then my tablet freaked out and deleted it. So, long story short 1 of my favorites is an all brass M16 Sentinel mod, very robust with a locking ring that doesn't stick. I have a Russian 91% clone, a few kayfun clones they are both pretty easy to figure out and if you wanted to go the rebuildable dripper route my first was a Helios clone from fasttech it's very easy to rebuild and has a very large learning curve. All together with a pair of batteries a mod the tank or rebuildable dripper and a charger if you check Vapor Joes site I would be very surprised if you couldn't come up with all that for less than $200. sorry this one is short and sweet but my patience is running thin with my stupid tablet.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't say enough good things about my Nemesises (Nemesii? Nemeses? Nemesen?). I've got stainless steel, brass, and copper - all clones and all fantastic performers. My brass one from FastTech actually has crap threads and i can't even use it anymore, but before that it was hella tight. Even a great clone shouldn't run you over $50 generally, and the ones from FastTech are generally perfectly fine at around $25.

I use Kayfun, Taifun, and RSSTs. IMHO, RSST is about the easiest way to learn how to start building your own coils. Almost nothing can go wrong and they hit like champs. Nothing sublime - but they work great and are super easy to deal with. On days when i just don't feel like screwing around, i drop a wick in and wrap it, screw it down and start hitting. Boom, done. And no dumping of juice while i do it. Clones of any of the three above RBAs are around $25-30, more or less. RSSTs can be had even cheaper.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looking for input for a beginner, been vaping since Mar 14. I am currently on a Vamp V5 w/ Nautilus tank. I want to go to a mech mod and rba. Looking for 18650 with a locking ring. Also looking for something to boost flavor due to sinus issues. I would like to keep both mod and rba under $300. Any suggestions? Thanks
Nemesis is definitely a good mod, popular for a reason, eh?
Kayfun 3.1 for sure.
That said, clone and clone! You'll be well under $100 and with that saved cash grab a couple clone rdas to practice on. An Igo is a good starter. Can't recommend the magma enough either, best rda in my lineup, fantastic flavor, deep well.
Then grab a couple Sony vct5s and a ohm meter.

Vapor Zen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Even if you didn't have sinus issues the Nautilus has a muted flavor from my experience.. I have this mod http://101vape.com/mechanical-mods/195-sentinel-m16-clone-by-hcigar.html and it is a easy mod to learn on, accepts most any battery as it is telescoping, hit's hard and works great with many atomizers.. It has the same issue as the nemesis or many other mechanical mods with this switch and locking ring set up in that the switch button will work it's way loose over time and fall apart because the battery contact is not seated on anything when screwed in..
The fix>>>
Put some cotton in the hole in the cap on this or switch end contact screw hole on a neme to give the cap some traction and it becomes a great switch and mod.. I paired this with the Taifun GT and I am very happy with it and it gives great flavor using 28 gauge kanthal wire at .8 to 1 ohms and organic cotton for wicking the coil.. http://www.angelcigs.com/taifun-gt-style-rebuildable-atomizer-5-0ml.html?feedback=1 or if your patient and where I got mine from https://www.fasttech.com/p/1527301.. The $250 bucks you saved can feed your mod addiction that is sure to follow if your like a lot of us here lol.. GL

Last edited:

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If it weren't for rebuildable atomizers, I wouldn't have found vaping contentment!

In my vaping beginning, I feared rba's. They intimidated me. Eventually I became more afraid of remaining where I was than the fear of moving into the unknown. My builds were hit and miss at first, but when I got it down, nirvana. Gone was the anxiety of having spare tank heads, cartos etc on hand and the frustrations of their frequent failure.

Hard to go wrong with a Nemesis for your first mech. Once you get the confidence in your builds, you will find what you do and don't like in Mech mods and you will buy more. :D Try all the styles of rba's and find which you prefer. For me it's dripping atomizers, others, tanks.
Dive in and enjoy it. Good Luck to ya.

Last edited:

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
New to mech mods just looking right now.
My question is do have to use a drip set up to use a mech mod. I am
Not into building coils yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

latinouno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1718100 $15.79 Magma RDA
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1733801 $13.57 Kayfun lite RDA
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1663600 $1.32 Kayfun replacement Tank
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1666400 $2.36 Hybrid connector for 22mm for Kayfun or Magma
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1493800 $19.79 Nemesis Brass
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1501000 $7.26 if you want to use a kick VW w/Nemesis
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1677404 $15.38 GP PAPS another nice mech mod
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1425200 $14.26 Sentinel M16 Telescopic mech mod
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1765200 $21.68 Nitecore D2 charger
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004185/1659700-authentic-sony-us18650vtc5-3-6v-2600mah $19.33 Sony VTC5 batteries
(Suggest you buy batteries anywhere in US)

Items above work very well with no issues, hope this help to get you started on mech, rda and rba :)

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I had a very in depth reply ready for you and then my tablet freaked out and deleted it. So, long story short 1 of my favorites is an all brass M16 Sentinel mod, very robust with a locking ring that doesn't stick. I have a Russian 91% clone, a few kayfun clones they are both pretty easy to figure out and if you wanted to go the rebuildable dripper route my first was a Helios clone from fasttech it's very easy to rebuild and has a very large learning curve. All together with a pair of batteries a mod the tank or rebuildable dripper and a charger if you check Vapor Joes site I would be very surprised if you couldn't come up with all that for less than $200. sorry this one is short and sweet but my patience is running thin with my stupid tablet.

+1 for the brass M 16! Flawless performance over the last year and a half! This one:
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1425200
plus two 18650's VTC4/5's for under 20 bucks, an Intellicharger I4 for arond 40 bucks, and a KayFun 3.1 (RBA) for $24.99 from Angelecigs and you're vaping with the best of them for about 100 total!

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
New to mech mods just looking right now.
My question is do have to use a drip set up to use a mech mod. I am
Not into building coils yet.

You can use just about any topper on a mech. That being said, the do shine with RDA's (rebuildable dripping atomizers) as the perfect match. I use my Aspire 2.0 ohm Vivi Nova, Cartos/tanks, and a KayFun 3.1 on my mechs also with really good results, but nothing beats a decent RDA with a good coil build on a mech!

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So it wouldn't be worth it to buy one if I am not ready to build a coil. Cause I was looking at a blackhawk or the overdose clones.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Comparison upcoming my first Mechs ordered
Fat Snow Wolf Black Rose Edition-Kamry 100- I is 26650 other 18650 I think

Arnie H

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So it wouldn't be worth it to buy one if I am not ready to build a coil. Cause I was looking at a blackhawk or the overdose clones.

If you not into building coils yet, you don't need a RBA or RDA or RTA, or any such thing. A simple tank system (Kanger, Aspire, Vivi Nova) should suffice.Just change heads and your good to go.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

It would be worth it, but manufactured heads tend to perform better, IMHO, on regulated APV'S. Since the coils can't be adjusted to meet the power output, as with rebuilding, APV'S allow you to tailor the vape experience with adjusting the power output to meet the coil's performance sweet spot. When rebuilding, you tailor the coil to meet the output. You can rebuild on regulated or unregulated mods, or use static manufactured heads on either also. If you decide to start rebuilding, I suggest starting with a regulated APV and a good cheap dripper. APV'S give you a range of safety features that will help you learn rebuilding in a safer manner. But, even if you never rebuild, you should at least know Ohm's Law and how it applies to any coil used on any device. If you know the "why it works" you will be able to determine how to keep it safe without relying on a device (which could be faulty or become broken) to do it for you. Go into a B&M and try some devices out. At least then you can include personal experience in your educated guess as to what will work best for you.

Celcius666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will go for Nemesis clone but not Tha cheap one but the one to 24,95$, I just bought one 3 weeks ago and got it 4 days ago and I absolutely love it☺

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can have a Mod and not build. No one says a Mod has to have some sort of RDA/RBA on it. Sure they look cool but really any topper you want to put on it will work. Most Mods limit you to just 510 fittings. If you want one, go get it and use any topper you want. Just read reviews and chose the one that looks best to you..

Sickboy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can not speak highly enough about the Reo, you get the flavor of a dripping re-buildable, with the portability of a tank ( via juice bottle below the "dripper" ) check them out at www.reosmods.com . From a durability / functionality standpoint they are impeccable. USA made, well within your listed budget, and the customer service is hands down the best I've dealt with in the past four years of vaping. Don't be afraid to get into building your own coils, there is lots of help here on the forum, and quite a few happy Reo owners as well.

Chip Chipperson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
might be good just to start with like a K100 / K101.. they are compact, cheap (20-30$), durable and can house all 18 series batteries. \

Crocky

Member For 4 Years
The cronus is an awesome little mod. Fire button is lovely and the lock switch is unique and easy to use. I love my nemesis but the screwing up and down (minds out of the gutter please) of the lock button just pisses me off...LOL. On the other hand I absolutely love my 4nine as well. Those two are always with me.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would be worth it, but manufactured heads tend to perform better, IMHO, on regulated APV'S. Since the coils can't be adjusted to meet the power output, as with rebuilding, APV'S allow you to tailor the vape experience with adjusting the power output to meet the coil's performance sweet spot. When rebuilding, you tailor the coil to meet the output. You can rebuild on regulated or unregulated mods, or use static manufactured heads on either also. If you decide to start rebuilding, I suggest starting with a regulated APV and a good cheap dripper. APV'S give you a range of safety features that will help you learn rebuilding in a safer manner. But, even if you never rebuild, you should at least know Ohm's Law and how it applies to any coil used on any device. If you know the "why it works" you will be able to determine how to keep it safe without relying on a device (which could be faulty or become broken) to do it for you. Go into a B&M and try some devices out. At least then you can include personal experience in your educated guess as to what will work best for you.
I have a MVP 2. I like the look and the design of a mech mod.

Thank you all for the input. Looks like a Nemy is in my future. Have only ordered from Fasttech once, for the V-5, and it took 3 weeks to get it. Looking at angelcigs, 88evapes, 101vapes, and fluid vapes. All seem to be in US and fairly priced. Again, thank you all for your input, knowledge, and advise.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was thinking of getting the mod. Thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated thanks.
e6utuna2.jpg

It's a armada style 18500/18350 hybrid

Mtlblade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
a protank 2 with a custom wrapped coil works great on a mech mod also and easy and cheap to learn how to build on.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I try to stay away from hybrids. If something breaks, it's not as easy as just throwing another topper on it to fix it. Also, I think you might find 18490/500 and 350's a tad under powered for the buck. Referring to mah, not output. That being said, she is a really pretty mod. Genesis (or should I really say Zenesis???) style rba's can be a bit fiddly and don't wick as well as the KayFun type, IMHO only. But, with any device, there's a learning curve that will quickly have you getting the results you want. Vaping is really subjective, and this could be the best thing since sliced bread for you, so do it if that's what you want! You could do a lot worse. I know I have!

Celcius666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just bought the KangerTech Aerotank Mega with 0,8 and 1,0 ohm's coils and I'm really impressed over it, that's a really good tank Imo. I have only used RBA and RDA's for the last 2-3 years now but now I think I will only youse them at home and the Kanger when I'm working and so on. So by one of those whit the low ohm's coils if you are going for a mech mod, because that's a really good tank Imo Dayim I'm impressed..

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I try to stay away from hybrids. If something breaks, it's not as easy as just throwing another topper on it to fix it. Also, I think you might find 18490/500 and 350's a tad under powered for the buck. Referring to mah, not output. That being said, she is a really pretty mod. Genesis (or should I really say Zenesis???) style rba's can be a bit fiddly and don't wick as well as the KayFun type, IMHO only. But, with any device, there's a learning curve that will quickly have you getting the results you want. Vaping is really subjective, and this could be the best thing since sliced bread for you, so do it if that's what you want! You could do a lot worse. I know I have!
Chowder what would you recommend in that kind of style.

deftones

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I suggest a Kayfun on a GP Paps.

LisaG

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
might be good just to start with like a K100 / K101.. they are compact, cheap (20-30$), durable and can house all 18 series batteries. \
I agree, they are a nice mech mod, to start with, I just bought one yesterday, I just upgraded from a spinner and I love it..I'm not sure if I'll get into the RBA's, it's a thought, but no sub ohms for me, maybe a nice Aspire tank, would be nice, I got some carto's with it, and I like that too...

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
BTW.......................Nothing wrong with that vamo just throw an atomic on the top of it!

Plenty of flavor and vapor at 6.5-8 watts!

The mech mod will do nothing to enhance your flavor that you can get from that vamo!

If you do not want to rebuild coils. Buy yourself some Cisco 306 atty's to start with from avidvaper.com and a drip shield, and a sealed 510 to 510 adapter and see how you like it.

Then you can buy a grail from atmistique for that 306 atty.

The trouble with these forums for new vapors is to throw money at everything. The vamo will give you enough versatility to try some different atomizers. Whether it be a rebuildable, or a tank or a 510/306 dripping atty.

find what gives you the flavor you want 1st then get the mod you want.

Last edited:

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

If you watch Rip Tripper and a few others on you tube, you'll be able to turn your own coil... I did it. If you try, and still can't get it, just ask someone, this place has help runnin' out th kazoo. I don't think Joe and Tyger allow jerks here.. haha

I am really liking my The Copper 26650 and there an 18650 version too. Spend more on the mod and get clone atomizers. I have found the mods are where you want to invest as the atomizer clones vs authentics will pretty much perform the same, provided they are 1:1 and not in the style of X atomizer.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With $300 for vaping gear there'd be enough money left over to spend on other things we used to buy

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Get a K100 mod. They run in the 30$ range I think. Solid mod. Low voltage drop. Takes allthe 18000 batteries. Drop it 50 times and it still works every time. oh, they aren't all pretty and stylish but they JUST WORK.
IGO RDA The w is around 20$. They also JUST WORK.

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Are we talking about the original OP? I don't see whats wrong with the vamo to get him started using a dripper. either by using 510/306 attys to start with or an RDA.

There was one comment to use a mech and then a kick? i don't get that advice at all. The vamo is way better than a kicked nemmy.

unless he is cloud chasing the output of the Vamo is fine. Especially with stacked IMR 18350 batts.

RichS

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I agree with ace, keep it simple, and you can't get any simpler than a K100. You don't even know if you'll like a mec, why waste $$$ on something you may not like.

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I agree with ace, keep it simple, and you can't get any simpler than a K100. You don't even know if you'll like a mec, why waste $$$ on something you may not like.

He Already is using a VAMO.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I personally prefer clone mod, and authentic atty if I had to go one authentic and one clone. After all, its the atty that is doing the work, as well as peace of mind that you are not vaping out of monkey metals.

As for suggestions on a topper since you already decided on the Nemesis clone, any RDA will do nicely as long as you have an adjustable airflow feature as well as option to run one coil or more. This way you will be able to try different variations so you can find out what your ideal preference is.

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have watch his vids. I just have get some wire and cotton. Money kinda tight right now.
I totally understand, it is for me too, do you have a mech mod yet?
I have 30 & 28 ga Kanthal now. Im not realy into sub ohming, but I have experimented with it, I have a trident that is running dual twisted 28ga macros. They are really tight but they come in at .2 ohms.. a bit hot for my tastes, but I keep it loaded like that for demonstration purposes. The KFL that I use as my daily go to vape is 1.3 ohms, thats more my speed.

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I personally prefer clone mod, and authentic atty if I had to go one authentic and one clone. After all, its the atty that is doing the work, as well as peace of mind that you are not vaping out of monkey metals.

As for suggestions on a topper since you already decided on the Nemesis clone, any RDA will do nicely as long as you have an adjustable airflow feature as well as option to run one coil or more. This way you will be able to try different variations so you can find out what your ideal preference is.
I had a bad experience with an M-16.. so I made my self a promise.. HCigar, Infinite, or better. It'll be a little more expensive, but so much less stressful, and more gratifying in the end."

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had a bad experience with an M-16.. so I made my self a promise.. HCigar, Infinite, or better. It'll be a little more expensive, but so much less stressful, and more gratifying in the end."

I take it that you have the fastech M-16 that is lightweight aluminum, sort of greyish in color? Well, good news, the Hcigar M-16 is really well made, and can be found for under $30 shipped from most US retailers.

VU Sponsors