Become a Patron!

Mech mods

Domse25

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello I went to my vape shop today and I asked about clones Because I got one And I also asked about squonking And there were a few people there with Original singel 18650 mech mods such like The rig and a few other brands And they said to me not to use clones couse they are bad and are more likley to explode and the original ones are more safer etc and also they say squonking is bad and sucks and also that I should buy only original mech mods so I wanted to ask for you're opinion about both subjects I use my clone for a few months use the proper battery clean it and build below the limit of my battey limit amp And I also want to start squonking Thats why I mentioned squonking so I want to know how is it

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My experience with clones (both mods and atomizers) is that they're identical, if not better than the originals, for pennies on the dollar. I've yet to buy a clone that's worse than the original. And believe me, I have a LOT of clones and their originals to compare them to.

Not buying clones, and being vocal about it, is something pedantic vapers do. Fine. Let them spend their hard-earned cash on simplistic shit that isn't remotely worth the asking price. If you want to buy a clone, you'll be fine - at least as fine as you'd be with the original, which is, as much as you understand the risks involved with mech mods.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Sounds like some elitist douche bags, nothing wrong with most clones and squonking is great. Go for what you like, and use proper knowledge of mod/battery safety to determine if something is safe or not. 99.9% if not 100% of the time I'd say an exploding mech mod is user error. (Putting them in pockets unlocked, wrong atty for a hybrid connection, cheap batteries, etc.

If you like mechs and want to try squonking, check out something like the coppervape BF, around 20 some $ for an authentic. As far as regulated squonk mods I can recommend a few like VT inbox by hcigar, yftk sva clone, kanger drip box 160. All good mods for a reasonable price.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
with a few exceptions....most people I've met hawking stuff in vape shops have not been vaping that long,have very little actual knowledge,and are monkeys making peanuts for wages...for instance no real craftsman goes into a hardware store and asks one of the clerks for advice...most of them don't even know the correct names of the tools they sell...if you have a question ask it here on the forums,where you have the advice of experinced vapers who aren't trying to sell you something.
squonking is really great, and a clone can be a piece of crap or a great device it depends on the clone.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And they said to me not to use clones couse they are bad and are more likley to explode and the original ones are more safer etc and also they say squonking is bad and sucks and also that I should buy only original mech mods so I wanted to ask for you're opinion about both subjects I use my clone for a few months use the proper battery clean it and build below the limit of my battey limit amp And I also want to start squonking Thats why I mentioned squonking so I want to know how is it

See my signature line to start in both squonking & use of clones. I link to CopperVape's page at Fasttech. I have used their mech mods quite a while now without any real issues. Had a few battery issues, which I think were prone to happen out of the adage that poop happens.

One battery lost all charge and would not further retain charge. My thought is it 'cycled' out. Another due to possibly some metallic debris off our floor , or the battery brand that it was, decided to attempt venting on me. Fortunately, I got it outside to a safe area before it did that & it didn't get a chance to do it, merely cooled off. I'm always dropping stuff on the floor it seems. I'm human, sue me. :) Like I said, poop happens.

... use proper knowledge of mod/battery safety to determine if something is safe or not. 99.9% if not 100% of the time I'd say an exploding mech mod is user error. (Putting them in pockets unlocked, wrong atty for a hybrid connection, cheap batteries, etc.

Yep, agree.

squonking is really great, and a clone can be a piece of crap or a great device it depends on the clone.

Yep, agree with as well. Pardon my adding a link to the sqounking area here. Come over there if you want further help in squonking. The main thread Squonkers Are Bonkers is general squonking chat central, all kinds of reviews or griping over rdas, clones or authentics, posts with deals & steals. Good spot for learning all you want to know and far much more. ;) :)

Domse25

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok guys thank you so much for the help I got the broadside clone from festtech works really good I am at 0.35ohms on the safe zone and when I was on the vape shop they said that I should build no more then 0.12ohms couse mechs are about the coulds and its not really good to build that low and drain youre battery why would they say such a thing?

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I HAVE had some janky clones. Nothing a touch of sandpaper or new spring didn't fix, though. They are not more likely to explode. I've also had some janky authentics. YMMV.

As to squonking? It's a state of mind. Some people love it, some think it's a waste of time, some could care less either way. I have a fair collection of squonkers, but prefer my RDTAs. Try it. You might become a convert, you might hate it. Start cheap, and work your way up.

The monkeys working in vape shops for peanuts comment... nah... I know a lot of knowledgeable vapers working in vaoe shops. They're doing it becausr they love it, not for the paycheck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The monkeys working in vape shops for peanuts comment... nah... I know a lot of knowledgeable vapers working in vaoe shops. They're doing it becausr they love it, not for the paycheck.

There's a general way to tell vape shop know-it-alls from real knowledgeable vapers: the former usually sport an overgrown beard, way too many tattoos, look like walking billboards for the hot vape companies du jour with branded T-shirts and caps, and talk big with too many acronyms. Of course, there are exceptions. But my experience is, the more tattoos, branded gear, the longer the beard and the more authoritative they sound, the less knowledgeable they are.

Conversely, if you see an employee who dresses normally, doesn't speak loudly and vapes some obscure mod without making a show of it, you should make a beeline for that guy: he's the true expert.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You get all kinds both in the people at vape shop- each shop is different. Some shops are only in it for the cash, others are in it to help. You have to learn to tell the difference, if you want to find a shop you can trust.

Same for clones: I have had some that were made better and offered more than the authentic. I've also had some that were a bomb waiting for a trigger. One close tank I had was full of sand and dirt from the manufacturing process. I've also has some that when put next to their authentic counterpart, were made better.
If you find something you're Interested in, ask around the forum to find out which clone would.be better. Take the kayfun 5- the sxk clone has a smaller air intake than the authentic, giving it a slightly tighter draw. The smjy clone has the identical intake making it perform the same.
Clone- under 20$. Authentic- 120$.
The kindbright XXX- 24$ authentic- 133(ish)
Both are near identical

I have bought several clones for the purpose of putting a patina on them and they are built and perform nearly the same as the authentic. I've also bought some that I would never trust a battery in

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had good and bad experiences with clones. I only have authentics now, not for any particular reason. However, with any mech mod, I take it completely apart, and check everything. I had a Stingray clone back in the day that had a metal burr in the switch, and caused a battery to vent on me.

Domse25

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea got it thanks for the information everybody its just the only vape shop we got here so I dont really care what that dude said I've got the broadside clone really love it and just ordered the rig v3 only the tube the original one and I got the dead rabbit so I hope its a good combination

VU Sponsors