Become a Patron!

Mechanical mod build question...help!

Juicy-j

Member For 1 Year
So im kimda new to mechs...know my safety and all the "prerequisites"
I been using a series and loved it, decided to get a timekeeper tube. He4es the questions.....i camt get a build that hits hard. No matt3r what type of build i throw down, i havr super slow ramp up and just "meh" hits....from fraili3ns to ssfc to basic round wire....im starting to think that i need a higher amp drain, but from what ive heard about this mod its a beast....any 1 know what i should do?

c.diehl

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What type of wire are you using and what battery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

c.diehl

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Its a mix of lightning wire 26, ss, lightning wire 36 ss & my local vape shop branded ribbon, kanthal .4
You may want to try a simple build like a 22g or 20g round wire build of ss or ni80 stay away from kanthal with mechs, takes to long to heat up. Also you may want to grab a Sony vtc5a
1b46f287f2c7ead88339ee5b5034d992.jpg

Juicy-j

Member For 1 Year
You may want to try a simple build like a 22g or 20g round wire build of ss or ni80 stay away from kanthal with mechs, takes to long to heat up. Also you may want to grab a Sony vtc5a
1b46f287f2c7ead88339ee5b5034d992.jpg

Off topic but is that a squeezer? I was thinking about getting one. Just got a luna for home, but like the idea of the squeezer for out and about. Is it good?

c.diehl

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Off topic but is that a squeezer? I was thinking about getting one. Just got a luna for home, but like the idea of the squeezer for out and about. Is it good?
I love it, build really good and hits as hard as my broadside tube mod. And can't beat the price . But yeah sometimes with mechs the simple is better. Ni80 is my go to

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I can see the news story now...

"But I knew what I was doing! Must have been the mod! It was either defective or poorly designed. I'm now convinced that vaping is bad and harmful!"

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude i use hg2 and build .1 & .12 on my series box all the time. Just don't chain vape and pay attention to temp. All good. Always do what you're comfortable with though.
.1 on a series box? I hope that's a typo or the brand name of a mod. You're looking at well over 200watts I'd say in series

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So im kimda new to mechs...know my safety and all the "prerequisites"

Don't worry...

.1 on a series box? I hope that's a typo or the brand name of a mod. You're looking at well over 200watts I'd say in series

:rolleyes:

Still not sure why this thread is in this forum;

Pay It Forward (PIF)
Have something you don't want that you want to give away to another vaper, this would be the place.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Dude i use hg2 and build .1 & .12 on my series box all the time. Just don't chain vape and pay attention to temp. All good. Always do what you're comfortable with though.

You can't be talking about a dual battery box in series....can't...

Accounting for some voltage drop, yeah, well over 200, unvapeable, batteries would get hot quickly if not immediately vent

Screenshot_20180429-072143.png

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Accounting for some voltage drop, yeah, well over 200, unvapeable, batteries would get hot quickly if not immediately vent

View attachment 109817
Wow that's hot. I had another reply but I'm a dirty old fucker and its a little risque for this forun I think. Lol

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Alot of people call there regulated mods series because that is the battery configuration. It is technically a series box.

There is no way your running 500 Watts and liking it. It's a typo. Plain and simple

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alot of people call there regulated mods series because that is the battery configuration. It is technically a series box.

There is no way your running 500 Watts and liking it. It's a typo. Plain and simple

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Very true. My drag andnipv Vesta is technically series

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A 26/36/.4 framed staple & a hg2 its a .12 build
HG2 is not a good mech mod battery. Get VTC5A you will be amazed at the difference.
The output voltage drop from a HG2 at .15 will be pretty horrendous.
VTC5A will do nicely.
And at those loads you will likely get more run time per charge out of the VTC5A than the HG2.
I have both batteries.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah and you are only getting a little over 3 volts out of a fully charged HG2 at those loads.
A venting may be in your future

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
On a single battery mech I always stick to 27/36 Ni80 5 wraps 2.5mm ID dual coil aliens at .11 ohms. It still vapes more relaxed than what's possible on a series mech of course, and, the vape doesn't have a lot of warmth so on general it tends to lend itself best for fruit flavors IMO, but with a single VTC5A the ramp up is pretty quick, and, both the flavor and the vapor production are excellent when considering how relatively easy it is to build these coils as well as how long it takes before these coils need to be replaced. In addition, I find that the VTC5A in a single battery mech does not heat up too fast even if you moderately chain vape on it at .11 ohms (moderately = never let the battery temperature exceed 45°C/113°F). The run time on it at .11 is also reasonable... about four VTC5A batteries per day is fairly normal. For a warmer vape, instead a series tube or paraseries mech (Hammer Of God v3/v3.1/v3.2) almost always has my preference over a single battery tube mech because I like to use angry coil builds of various advanced types and sizes specifically for that so that is how I usually like to build my own coils, always using RDAs and nothing else.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can see the news story now...

"But I knew what I was doing! Must have been the mod! It was either defective or poorly designed. I'm now convinced that vaping is bad and harmful!"
Nah, you forgot "But, the store Told me it was OK - and so did the forum!"

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nah, you forgot "But, the store Told me it was OK - and so did the forum!"
I'm with Mooch on this. I.e., there are no hard and fast numbers that are safe and unsafe to vape so the CDR was picked simply because it is a reasonable number TO START IF YOU ARE NEW TO THIS STUFF, which means everyone still has to find his/her own path after that to decide for him/herself what level of risk is going to be acceptable, and, scaremongering drama queens are not your best source of information when it comes to learning what these risks are like because, typically, these same drama queens simply lack the brains to even try to imagine life without wearing flannel suits stuffed with pillows in a world outside their own padded rooms.

Code:
https://youtu.be/rukKh92ZCOM?t=6309

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'm with Mooch on this. I.e., there are no hard and fast numbers that are safe and unsafe to vape so the CDR was picked simply because it is a reasonable number TO START IF YOU ARE NEW TO THIS STUFF, which means everyone still has to find his/her own path after that to decide for him/herself what level of risk is going to be acceptable, and, scaremongering drama queens are not your best source of information when it comes to learning what these risks are like because, typically, these same drama queens simply lack the brains to even try to imagine life without wearing flannel suits stuffed with pillows in a world outside their own padded rooms.

Code:
https://youtu.be/rukKh92ZCOM?t=6309
Interesting. Thank you for sharing that.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep Vaping is about harm/risk reduction not elimination.
And that includes the batteries and such used with vaping.
Battery safety is about risk reduction not risk elimination.
Vaping with LI batteries is not totally safe.
But by following proper battery safety rules we can minimize the risk.

Juicy-j

Member For 1 Year

View attachment 109817
It
On a single battery mech I always stick to 27/36 Ni80 5 wraps 2.5mm ID dual coil aliens at .11 ohms. It still vapes more relaxed than what's possible on a series mech of course, and, the vape doesn't have a lot of warmth so on general it tends to lend itself best for fruit flavors IMO, but with a single VTC5A the ramp up is pretty quick, and, both the flavor and the vapor production are excellent when considering how relatively easy it is to build these coils as well as how long it takes before these coils need to be replaced. In addition, I find that the VTC5A in a single battery mech does not heat up too fast even if you moderately chain vape on it at .11 ohms (moderately = never let the battery temperature exceed 45°C/113°F). The run time on it at .11 is also reasonable... about four VTC5A batteries per day is fairly normal. For a warmer vape, instead a series tube or paraseries mech (Hammer Of God v3/v3.1/v3.2) almost always has my preference over a single battery tube mech because I like to use angry coil builds of various advanced types and sizes specifically for that so that is how I usually like to build my own coils, always using RDAs and nothing else.
I think that's my problem with this mod/setup. I like age coils too, but this single 18650 just isn't getting me there. Maybe I'll get the stacking kit and try that. Thanks for the input!

Juicy-j

Member For 1 Year
yeah and you are only getting a little over 3 volts out of a fully charged HG2 at those loads.
A venting may be in your future
So i know it isn't the safest thing to do, but i do Pay attention to the mod temp, and don't take long hits or chain vape. I'm not locked in to the hg2 or anything like that, its just what i have. I have a few 25r, and a few vtc5A. Honestly i feel more scared of usb charging on a smok mod than i do vaping my my series w a low ohm build. I get it, its not safe, and im ok with that. I've been doing it this way for about 8 months and so far so good. I would rather find something safe if it vapes the way i like though.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So i know it isn't the safest thing to do, but i do Pay attention to the mod temp, and don't take long hits or chain vape. I'm not locked in to the hg2 or anything like that, its just what i have. I have a few 25r, and a few vtc5A. Honestly i feel more scared of usb charging on a smok mod than i do vaping my my series w a low ohm build. I get it, its not safe, and im ok with that. I've been doing it this way for about 8 months and so far so good. I would rather find something safe if it vapes the way i like though.
25R would work better then the HG2 and the VTC5A is one of the best 18650 batteries for mechs.

Juicy-j

Member For 1 Year
HG2 is not a good mech mod battery. Get VTC5A you will be amazed at the difference.
The output voltage drop from a HG2 at .15 will be pretty horrendous.
VTC5A will do nicely.
And at those loads you will likely get more run time per charge out of the VTC5A than the HG2.
I have both batteries.
Can you recommend a reliable source for vtc5a? I have several but suspect they're fake. One set came so far out of balance that they died in a couple weeks.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
www.illumn.com

I think they have them for 5.99 each right now and free case with each 2 you buy.
The only place I buy batteries.

It is a Battery Mooch approved vendor.
I live in KY and usually get mine no more than 3 days after the day I order on.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
www.illumn.com

I think they have them for 5.99 each right now and free case with each 2 you buy.
The only place I buy batteries.

It is a Battery Mooch approved vendor.
I live in KY and usually get mine no more than 3 days after the day I order on.
Thanks, I've saved the link - I am due for some additions (and need to consider PIF's)

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Running that low on a series mod is flat out dangerous. Most mods say somewhere in the documentation .2 is the lowest recommended build, some of the better ones recommend .4 as the minimum. You need a parallel mod if you insist on building low.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Running that low on a series mod is flat out dangerous. Most mods say somewhere in the documentation .2 is the lowest recommended build, some of the better ones recommend .4 as the minimum. You need a parallel mod if you insist on building low.
For people who are new to vaping on a mech, on a single battery mech equipped with a single 20 amp battery such as the LG HG2 it is recommended to stay at or below above .2 ohms, but I'm not using 20 amp batteries, and also I'm not new to vaping on a mech. If you insist on building low you need either a parallel mod or learn the ins and outs about batteries and about vaping on a mech so, basically, I chose to go for the latter option because more knowledge ALWAYS means more power, and, as a matter of true fact, if your plan is to vape on a mech, then you pretty much need to learn the ins and outs about batteries and about vaping on a mech pretty much REGARDLESS of whether you insist on building low, and you also need to learn at least some of the ins and outs about batteries even if all you do is vape on a REGULATED mod. Lithium ion rechargeable batteries are flat out dangerous. It is dangerous to vape on these batteries. They were never designed to be used outside of a fully protected battery pack. Despite this, we vape on them all the time. That's just because we understand the risks, and we accept those risks. The next step is only optional, as everyone still has to decide for him/herself how far he/she wants to take it.

That said, on a regulated mod the safety depends largely on user behavior as well as on the vagueness of the Chinese chipmaker that offers you safety features. Whereas on a mech mod, that vagueness is not part of the equation, albeit user behavior still matters, a fucking lot actually, and, that's why I'm here to be willing to educate people instead of am here to systemically scare the fucking snot about ohms out of each and every fucking last one of our new mech users.

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@Carambrda
"a single 20 amp battery such as the LG HG2 it is recommended to stay at or below .2 ohms"

He means at or ABOVE 0.2 ohms

Jixil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
So I'm kind of new to mech mods as well, and I'm trying to figure out what my best options are well. I'm currently using a panzer clone, so single cell mod with a sony vtc5a.

So far, I've tested a blizten rta with a 0.15 build in it, a uwell fancier with the same build, and I find that the blitzen hits much better. I'm barely getting anything out of the uwell fancier! I've also tested the mod with a valyrian tank at 0.15 ohms and a prince tfv12 tank also at 0.15 ohms. The prince hits fine, but the valyrian barely gets anything at all.

Is there a particular reason why certain atomizers hit better than others? I haven't really tried it with other builds or rdas yet, but I'm curious why this is happening.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
So I'm kind of new to mech mods as well, and I'm trying to figure out what my best options are well. I'm currently using a panzer clone, so single cell mod with a sony vtc5a.

So far, I've tested a blizten rta with a 0.15 build in it, a uwell fancier with the same build, and I find that the blitzen hits much better. I'm barely getting anything out of the uwell fancier! I've also tested the mod with a valyrian tank at 0.15 ohms and a prince tfv12 tank also at 0.15 ohms. The prince hits fine, but the valyrian barely gets anything at all.

Is there a particular reason why certain atomizers hit better than others? I haven't really tried it with other builds or rdas yet, but I'm curious why this is happening.

Tons of different reasons. Big one being some are geared more for flavor than for clouds, some shoot for the middle ground and others shoot for being cloud creators. Knowing which is best for which is part of the quest for vape perfection.

Jixil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Tons of different reasons. Big one being some are geared more for flavor than for clouds, some shoot for the middle ground and others shoot for being cloud creators. Knowing which is best for which is part of the quest for vape perfection.

I definitely like bigger clouds, but flavor as well. I mean for the ones I tried that didn't really hit, I wasn't getting much clouds nor flavors

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I definitely like bigger clouds, but flavor as well. I mean for the ones I tried that didn't really hit, I wasn't getting much clouds nor flavors

A lot of that could be coil placement, wicking and a bunch of other factors. I have had tanks that put out clouds that folks said were for flavor and tanks no one else likes that I love and tanks I hate that everyone else says are amazing.

If you own them, play around with the builds. You will likely find something that makes you happy. If you post some picks, folks familiar with those devices might have some input to help take some guess work out of it.

Jixil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
A lot of that could be coil placement, wicking and a bunch of other factors. I have had tanks that put out clouds that folks said were for flavor and tanks no one else likes that I love and tanks I hate that everyone else says are amazing.

If you own them, play around with the builds. You will likely find something that makes you happy. If you post some picks, folks familiar with those devices might have some input to help take some guess work out of it.

The blitzen is a postless deck, where as the fancier is a velocity style deck with upwards wicking (it's weird). I'm not really sure about the valyrian and prince tank though since they are prebuilt installed coils. I believe the valyrian is a dual coil build and the prince tfv12 has the 0.15 sextuple coil head? The valyrian and fancier feels like they don't even work at all, like my battery's dead and I need to switch them out right now.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I don't use tube mods (my only mechs are squonks) but I have never seen anyone that uses them regularly use an RTA on them, especially one with factory coils. I would suggest you get an RDA with a protruding 510 pin for your mech.

VU Sponsors