Become a Patron!

mechanical mod patination

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
doing some more today.
AV Manhattan is in a ammonia and sea salt chamber. will check on it tomorrow.

did a flagship v2 patina using eggs, it came out great.

today I was debating on my authentic vcm or authentic aria oros v2. v2 won the debate so it's getting a finely grated egg patina as I am typing this.
dec9ca86e90b0b2044072b10fc00798e.jpg
009ecedc8f52af4fcc865eba0755057d.jpg
02d71dbee327b994925909b997f1578a.jpg
b550a19e8b9a687e53ef0115d96781cf.jpg
ecd6543b7ab14e41367673ebff567da2.jpg

Cloud Chasing

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yours looks much better than my first attempt. I don't think I left it in long enough. It's a copper Rig clone. Hopefully the Broadside I have in the egg right now will come out with some darker colorations.

QHedr3z.jpg

Last edited:

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks much better than my first attempt. I don't think I left it in long enough. It's a copper Rig clone. Hopefully the Broadside I have in the egg right now will come out with some darker colorations.

QHedr3z.jpg
did you do this?
than fold it up tight like a burrito with the celephane wrap. than stick it in a zip lock for 6.5hr.
0e8aaab8c386a84afc88421a3b6dad6b.jpg

Cloud Chasing

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
No, just covered it with egg and stuck it in a ziplock.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can get clones for under $10 from the Chinese websites.
or eBay.
so my ammonia and salt patina isn't looking so hot. only got some greens in a few spots. not sure why it's doing that. it's been sitting in the chamber for 22hours. trying to decide if I should go ahead and remove it from the chamber and wash it see how it turned out. it is a clone manhattan so maybe the copper isn't good quility.

Cloud Chasing

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
That's got to be a previous coating or something. It's too distinct of a pattern I think. On the other hand, I like the unintended patterning.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's got to be a previous coating or something. It's too distinct of a pattern I think. On the other hand, I like the unintended patterning.
I hit it with 900 grit, 1000grit than finished off with 0000 steel wool. than stuck it in the chamber. actually it's looking better than it did last night! so in an hour I'm going to remove it wash it and take some pics. my chamber does have a small hole from the metal coat hanger so maybe that is enough to delay the process. last time I tried this ammonia bath the mod patina went quick like 8hrs and the mod was covered in green actually too much green. maybe this will look good once I give it a bath.

Cloud Chasing

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yours looks much better than my first attempt. I don't think I left it in long enough. It's a copper Rig clone. Hopefully the Broadside I have in the egg right now will come out with some darker colorations.

QHedr3z.jpg
let's see the broadside!
I'm thinking about doing my brass av able.

Cloud Chasing

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It's back in the egg - I wasn't happy with the patina (too light). Added a touch of salt and vinegar to see what happens. Here's what it looked like earlier:

pBWjIuo.jpg

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's back in the egg - I wasn't happy with the patina (too light). Added a touch of salt and vinegar to see what happens. Here's what it looked like earlier:

pBWjIuo.jpg
that looks cool. I messed up the green patina. I rubbed all the green off lol. I'm going to retry with another mod, going to hit the surface with 400 grit, and use backing soda with the salt and ammonia. already clear coated the tube so I'll get some pics going in an hour or two. I like the egg patina much more than the ammonia bath. I'm looking into alcohol ink too, for my brass able.

Cloud Chasing

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
alright peeps how's this looking?

AV manhattan clone, no tramp stamps (didn't want to do my authentic Manhattan) clear coated and ready to vape!
c57a8ab4750e6c9983e4171d9063b87f.jpg
9466eb980f3a210e5a6c0aa957462fdc.jpg
bc68cf5d42e9f0ba6513caceedd53ef5.jpg
60c3e3319cee632c0fd90771e19836fd.jpg

Cloud Chasing
Very nice

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use pink himalayan and sea salt. I got more blues off the sea salt.

Sweet, yeah it's looking pretty cool with the pink salt vs standard salt. hopefully it will get a nice color scheme over night. I'll check it in the AM. baking a pie and going to bed once it's done baking.

Cloud Chasing

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
already added a clear coat, it's going to have to sit till 9 tonight when I get off work, than I'll do a light hand wet sand and another coat of clear. left the color on this time and will get a smooth finish. since I only did the top and bottom of the able it's not as, filling like doing a whole mod. but I think it's going to turn out good. pics will come with I'm all done. I'm having trouble finding a able sleeve in copper so I can do a patina to that as well.

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hmm I'm not sure I want to sand the patina, I'm worried it will wash it away... should I just keep layering the clear coat till it's smooth....?

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hmm I'm not sure I want to sand the patina, I'm worried it will wash it away... should I just keep layering the clear coat till it's smooth....?

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing
As much as you want I guess man. I'd hate to keep sanding it too

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm trying something different. the mod is not touching the egg at all, made a fume chamber. copper has already changed to a dark red with just 5 minutes in the chamber.
the mod is a authentic akuma mech.
f754df5a4efbb085e23cd9d655bec430.jpg

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm trying something different. the mod is not touching the egg at all, made a fume chamber. copper has already changed to a dark red with just 5 minutes in the chamber.
the mod is a authentic akuma mech.
f754df5a4efbb085e23cd9d655bec430.jpg

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing
Man you are hardcore.. Ha ha. I hope that works well for you. Actually a great idea.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man you are hardcore.. Ha ha. I hope that works well for you. Actually a great idea.

lol!
Here's the finished product. not what I was expecting but it still looks, cool/different. I am not going to clear coat it tho. I like the feel of the patina. I might buff it out later and try again.
9856a5ffdd4bec23e5fbeed93950eba4.jpg
2138ee18a6fe1b6091b2a8694722a09d.jpg

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
But its so darn hard to keep em clean. :) Especially the Kraken. Damn, if I keep using those stupid Cape cods, Im going to bankrupt myself or wear it out to a thin wafer of a tube.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
lol!
Here's the finished product. not what I was expecting but it still looks, cool/different. I am not going to clear coat it tho. I like the feel of the patina. I might buff it out later and try again.
2138ee18a6fe1b6091b2a8694722a09d.jpg

get N sub Ω low...

️Cloud Chasing

That is beautiful !!!!
So, that is not permanent? It will clean off? Im tempted...

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is beautiful !!!!
So, that is not permanent? It will clean off? Im tempted...
Most people who patina their mod use clear coat afterwards to keep the patina from going any further.
c72f0a339f8e928a4341b223c7ae06d7.jpg

VU Sponsors