Become a Patron!

Merlin Mini not wicking (dry hits)

Hey guys, been trying to get the best out of the merlin mini but struggling. It just doesn't Wick properly, have tried everything I've read online (juice holes covered etc, not too much cotton) . After 3 to 4 puffs it goes dry. But when I unscrew the top cap for a second juice goes down into the well and it wicks fine. So seems to be some sort of pressure problem.

Anyone have this problem? Would love to hear if there is a fix out there. Thanks :)

here you go, hope it helps, my coil is a parallel 24g 3mm ID single, comes in at .25ohms. I'm vaping at 50watts

I just filled the tank but this time didn't fill it as much (around 80% full), its helped a little bit

Also i have the juice holes open (airflow control ring) so they are not closed off, but this doesn't seem to make much of a difference

Thanks 20161221_145334.jpg 20161221_145341.jpg

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try burping it!
or use a tank friendly juiice
Lower ur wattage
KANTHAL OR NICHROME?
Ramp time is too fast for a single parallel.. @50 watts? ‍♂️

Its Kanthal, ive tried lowering the wattage but want to vape at a higher wattage, prefer a bit of a hit

The reason i tried a single parallel is i was struggling to build a coil to around .30ohms (im pretty new to building as you an gather haha), so i tried a parallel (my single coils were coming it at around .7ohms)

But thanks for your help! will try a lower wattage

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you prefer higher wattage, don't you think the Merlin mini ain't the right tank for that?!

Merlin mini
2ml juice capacity
Single coil

You put a 24 g kanthal parallel coil 5/6 wraps at 50 watts...and its drying after 2-4pulls? DUDE, TANK IS EMPTY LOL!
Try a juice friendly coil dude... do a regular macro coil 10 wraps... 24g

OK thanks, when you say macro, say 3mm?
If you prefer higher wattage, don't you think the Merlin mini ain't the right tank for that?!

Merlin mini
2ml juice capacity
Single coil

You put a 24 g kanthal parallel coil 5/6 wraps at 50 watts...and its drying after 2-4pulls? DUDE, TANK IS EMPTY LOL!
Try a juice friendly coil dude... do a regular macro coil 10 wraps... 24g

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't have that tank (yet) but every other tank I have that wicks like that (stick wick down in hole)... if I am vaping more than the wick can deliver juice, I have too much wick stuffed in the hole.

While the pic doesn't look overstuffed, try trim a little girth off that wick and try again. It's a fine line, too much and you choke off juice flow, too little and you get leaking.

You can also try a larger inner diameter coil so there is more wick to hold more juice. Looks like you have plenty of room for a fatter coil.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also another thing to try since when you cracked the top the vacuum released and you got juice flow...
When you fill, put the cap 1/2 way on, turn upside down, open juice and airflow, fully tighten cap, flip right side up.

Either too much wick choking off flow or you are getting a vacuum lock... or a combo of the two. Add a 3rd factor if those two easy fixes don't work, fatter coil to hold more wick that holds more juice that can keep up with the power you're putting into that coil.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Use the dual deck you may well have hit the capacity of the single deck.

I don't have that tank (yet) but every other tank I have that wicks like that (stick wick down in hole)... if I am vaping more than the wick can deliver juice, I have too much wick stuffed in the hole.

While the pic doesn't look overstuffed, try trim a little girth off that wick and try again. It's a fine line, too much and you choke off juice flow, too little and you get leaking.

You can also try a larger inner diameter coil so there is more wick to hold more juice. Looks like you have plenty of room for a fatter coil.

Great thanks will try a bigger coil. This is where i get confused though, as i thought a wider coil will need more cotton right? and that may give me more dry hits.

But will try and also cut some off, thank you :)

Ex
Also another thing to try since when you cracked the top the vacuum released and you got juice flow...
When you fill, put the cap 1/2 way on, turn upside down, open juice and airflow, fully tighten cap, flip right side up.

Either too much wick choking off flow or you are getting a vacuum lock... or a combo of the two. Add a 3rd factor if those two easy fixes don't work, fatter coil to hold more wick that holds more juice that can keep up with the power you're putting into that coil.

Excellent, thank you, will try these suggestions tonight

VU Sponsors